IGNORED

DISPLAY FOR BIRMINGHAM (H) - S25, S26 & S27 - PLEASE READ/SHARE

James

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I think it is only natural for people to ask what it is about and if it is not answered they get a bit edgy about it.

Some people don't like surprises.

Sure it is all very well intended and will go off fine.

FOMO 

This is not aimed at you OENL just using your post as it was the most recent 

In the ever expanding world of access, people seem to think they've got some right to know everything

When the club used to put card on our seats for red and white night I don't remember the urge for people to know what the design would be

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

FOMO 

In the ever expanding world of access, people seem to think they've got some right to know everything

When the club used to put card on our seats for red and white night I don't remember the urge for people to know what the design would be

"Hey can you please hold up this for me?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Wow stop being so unreasonable and negative, why do you think you've got a right to know everything?"

For the record I'm supportive of things like this and hope it goes well!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m not part of S82 any more but was a founder member.

It’s odd to see people get so worked up about a card display. 

We only ever organised 1 card display before, to my knowledge. It was for when Gerry Gow sadly passed away. See below. 
It took me ages to coordinate the right colours for the right seats to ensure it looked anywhere near decent. And then an hour or so for 20 odd people to set it up. And the key to all of it was that everyone participated. 

Hopefully those complaining about not knowing what it is will ease up and just get on with it. It’s not going to be anything controversial like Celtic talking about Palestine or something! 
I’m sure whatever it is, is completely innocent and supportive. 

I honestly don’t understand why there is such negativity toward this.  

I’ll be up in the family stand with a great view and I hope it all goes well and enough people participate to not make it look like an embarrassment. If it fails and looks embarrassing because hardly anyone participates, I’d imagine the same people complaining on here will be back here saying “what a load of crap”. 

Lighten up, get involved, and make it a success. 

IMG_3775.jpeg

@Harry How come you’ve stepped away from it if you don’t mind me asking?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

FOMO 

Would you sign a petition if I put one in front of you and asked you to but wouldn’t tell you what it said?

In some instances, people do have a right to know! Or at least a right to know before they participate in something.

The red and white night (and the Gow one mentioned above) were different simply because in those cases people did know.

Is it just a “design”? In which case, why not say so? I don’t think anyone’s demanding to see the detail of the design, just to know that’s all it is.

As opposed to something that carries a message. 

• Like 4

Find it odd that if you ask people to be part of a message/image it's deemed unreasonable for those participants to ask what the message exactly is beforehand. Seems pretty basic stuff to me. 

Im intrigued to know what it is now and why it had to be kept so secret. 

Hope it goes well nonetheless

Edited by Colombo Robin
  • Like 7

Just now, Colombo Robin said:

Find it odd that if you ask people to be part of a message/image it's deemed unreasonable for those participants to ask what the message exactly is beforehand. Seems pretty basic stuff to me. 

Pretty sure it will limit participation, even though I'm sure the message will be fine.

19 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I liked the old days, when all that happened at 14:59 was that some giant geezer came and stood in front of you.

Always used to happen to me, why was it they always stood in front of a short person and not further back? Just to annoy you I suppose.

• Like 1

I hope it works but based on previous with things as simple of a surfer flag things could go wrong :laugh:, this has the Extra jepody of some will not want to do it as don't know what it's about plus those who will think it funny to not hold a card up and leave a gap, fair play to the s82 lads for making the effort and I hope it comes off for them 

18 hours ago, James said:

Apologies if that's how it's come across, as certainly not been the intent. 

I understand the logic behind the point you seem to be trying to push, however to be honest I'd interpreted the questions of 'what is it' etc to be more of an inquisitive/interested nature, rather than an "i'm not doing it unless I know all the details" one.

And as I said earlier I/we are not being deliberately ambiguous or 'superior' in not giving a detailed description of what we hope to be an effective display. We just also don't want to detract from the (intended) effect. So I'm not sure it's as an unreasonable position to take, as you seem to be making it out to be... The alternative I suppose is that we offer no indication that there is anything planned and rely on some 2000+ people noticing a piece of Red/White card next to their seat, and knowing what and when to do with it. 

I'm not aware of a 'divisive' or controversial display which has ever been organised by us, which has caused those who partake in making it a success to feel that they have been manipulated in to presenting something not reflective of their own views etc (we do have a fairly obvious common purpose, after all. Don't we?)

We can ask, as we have done, for people to help make it a success. However It is of course everyone's own prerogative, as to whether they choose to do so or not. And fingers crossed the majority opt for the former ?

As someone who has a season ticket in the standing section near you I think you all do a brilliant job. 

Also it’s good to reiterate that Section 82 is a small group of lads who organise these displays and inevitably create and start a lot of the singing. Section 82 is not the standing section of the ground; which it often gets referred to as. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If it is just red and white cards, why the evasive approach?

Nothing evasive. Just didn't see it necessary to post a step by step breakdown/diagram, as I explained yesterday (and the reasons why).

Part of the desired effect is having an element of intrigue. It shouldn't take a genius to work that out...

Anyway, hopefully it goes down well, and the lads on the pitch give us something to cheer about too??

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Yes, as that’s massively likely for the lads to be doing isn’t it.

Jesus wept, just gets better and better on here. 

I don’t for a minute think that’s likely: I’m just using an extreme example to make the point. I just find it quite bizarre that you’d take part in some public display of support for something without having a clue what it is! 

The post from @James above confirming no message is really helpful.

For the record, I love these sort of displays and I really appreciate the time and effort of those who organise them. I even love ones that carry messages, even controversial ones. I just think it’s about knowing what you’re doing, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people to ask that. 

Hope it goes well today. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

No one has asked for a diagram, just what the display will be. 

Not at all unreasonable

But keeping things secret from them- particularly when they are the ones who won't see it at all is going to be

You say you aren't being deliberately ambiguous but that is precisely what you are being

So when you see the Milan clubs, Roma etc doing there displays, do you honestly think anyone other then a select few know what they are about!? 

There extreme examples, but it really isn't that deep , no wonder a lot doesn't get done atmosphere wise round the ground 

Edited by Club and Country
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Club and Country said:

So when you see the Milan clubs, Roma etc doing there displays, do you honestly think anyone other then a select few know what they are about!? 

There extreme examples, but it really isn't that deep 

I'd suggest that more than 30 odd do and that as their displays happen with considerably more regularity most fans have a good idea of what they'll be part of

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

No one has asked for a diagram, just what the display will be. 

Not at all unreasonable

But keeping things secret from them- particularly when they are the ones who won't see it at all is going to be

You say you aren't being deliberately ambiguous but that is precisely what you are being

One of the first questions on this thread, was to ask what it was. One of my first replies was that it was positive and supportive.

So short of a diagram/exact explanation of what, where and why, i'm not sure what else you were hoping for? 

Edited by James
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

One of the first questions on this thread, was to ask what it was. One of my first replies was that it was positive and supportive.

So short of a diagram/exact explanation of what, where and why I'm not sure what you were you hoping for? 

And yet your first reply was "not x and not y", deliberately being vague and ambiguous, while claiming not to be

You could have simply said what the message is. Hardly a big deal (none of this is, but again people simply asking what it is seems to have caused upset to some when it's a completely reasonable question)

10 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

There extreme examples, but it really isn't that deep , no wonder a lot doesn't get done atmosphere wise round the ground 

Again, no one has objected or even pushed back against it.

No one is trying to stop it happen

If a simple question of what they're going to be part of is such an obstacle then youre right it is no wonder nothing gets done, because the people apparently organising it dont want to cooperate with the people they're asking to join in with it

If the question "what am I going to be part of" is something that's going to disrupt creating an atmosphere for you then I'd suggest you're really not bothered about the atmosphere and it's more about your clique and wanting people to follow along blindly

Edited by transfer reader
  • Like 1