IGNORED

Arena

bs3

11 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Of course. Look up what happened last time we got relegated from the top flight. Lots of people seemed to forget how to get to Ashton gate. From 33k+ v Liverpool to 4k v Wimbledon in 6 years. Wonderful.

Modern trends suggest the drop in support is more likely gradual and unlikely to drop to lows last seen 40 years ago - look at what the likes Hull, Reading, Cardiff and Swansea used to pull before their rise.  

19 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Of course. Look up what happened last time we got relegated from the top flight. Lots of people seemed to forget how to get to Ashton gate. From 33k+ v Liverpool to 4k v Wimbledon in 6 years. Wonderful.

There were IMO a host of factors at play there.

We didn't average 33k in the top flight. Maybe 20-25k, Liverpool was of course a top game.

Attendances fell across the country form late 1970s to mid 1980s. We would not have been immune.

Helped in no small way by a fall from top flight to near bankruptcy in between May 1980 and Feb 1982! Under 2 years, in the 3rd successive relegation season.

No Parachute Payments then, relegation meant you were in at the deep end! Gap not all that big too of course.

There is generally more of a bounce back in Year 1 or 2 in terms of relegation, not least by the huge advantage relegated sides get now v then.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, frenchred said:

And if (reality check) we got relegated would they all stay? Or would we be rattling round in a stadium to big for us?

Who said anything about relegation? 

You've just moved the goalposts! 

Anyway, some might stop coming, yes - probably the ones who came to see ManU and Liverpool, so no loss to us. But plenty would be new City fans who get bitten by the bug and turn into lifelong fans.

I know this will happen because it's what happened to me - 45 years later, I'm still here through, thick and thin, whether I like it or not (sometimes not!!). And that's what can happen again.

And if it does, if we can get to the Premier League sooner rather than later, it will do something else too - it'll bury our sorry ass neighbours for ever. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We didn't average 33k in the top flight. Maybe 20-25k, Liverpool was of course a top game.

Attendances fell across the country form late 1970s to mid 1980s. We would not have been immune.

Helped in no small way by a fall from top flight to near bankruptcy in between May 1980 and Feb 1982! Under 2 years, in the 3rd successive relegation season.

No Parachute Payments then, relegation meant you were in at the deep end! Gap not all that big too of course.

There is generally more of a bounce back in Year 1 or 2 in terms of relegation, not least by the huge advantage relegated sides get now v then.

Agreed, I was just highlighting the extremes. I was there for the Wimbledon game, but not the Liverpool one (which happened before I was allowed to go to the football).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frenchred said:

Can someone sensibly explain why we would need to increase the capacity of our ground when (a) we hardly ever sell out and (b) if we did reach the promised land, match day attendances are incidental to other monies incoming

Have a look at the premier league, teams with the largest grounds(best average crowds) and you will find they are all teams at the top end of the table come the end of the season whilst not as important as it once was matchday revenue must account for something, it can't just be coincidence that all the biggest and most successful clubs are the ones with the best support. 

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

Have a look at the premier league, teams with the largest grounds(best average crowds) and you will find they are all teams at the top end of the table come the end of the season whilst not as important as it once was matchday revenue must account for something when all the biggest and most successful clubs are the ones with the best support. 

Not where we’re looking to compete though.

around 30k is probably right for where City are, and just about right for stadium gigs for most acts. 

I’m sure if 40k was needed (World cup host, City somehow become a top 6 team) something could be done with the Atyeo and the Dolman. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Apologies for bumping this thread but the main issue is corporate hospitality no? Even in the renovated ground the Lansdown stand only has 18 executive boxes which sell out. Seems like we should've tried for double. 

There’s corporate in the new arena for pre & post match 

27 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Apologies for bumping this thread but the main issue is corporate hospitality no? Even in the renovated ground the Lansdown stand only has 18 executive boxes which sell out. Seems like we should've tried for double. 

Original plan was for boxes in the dolman, from memory the 18 we have sold out straight away with 5 year contracts! I am sure we could really profit from more! 

On 25/08/2023 at 17:12, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our crowds would have been higher also if it werent for dodgy turnstile operators.... 

I think you've all overlooked one major factor in any stadium additons/development and that's 'what generates the most cash' and with us being multi-use at Ashton Gate, I would assume any development would be to get more corporate cash out of companies for the chance to watch The Bears in some way, which if City then reached the top flight, they could easily sell as well. 

I don't think any capacity increase would be made or any stadium configuration changed just to keep the football crowd happy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

5 hours ago, BS30 City said:

Original plan was for boxes in the dolman, from memory the 18 we have sold out straight away with 5 year contracts! I am sure we could really profit from more! 

It would be nice to have more corporate boxes and in a completely new stadium it would be easy to design them in from the start. I can remember the suggestion to put boxes in the Dolman. This was before the ground was redeveloped and I sure it was an idea that was floated without any consideration of the practicality. In reality it would have been impractical as a large section of seats at the back would have been lost to incorporate the dining area of each box and food and drink facilities would somehow have to have been fitted in. 

24 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It would be nice to have more corporate boxes and in a completely new stadium it would be easy to design them in from the start. I can remember the suggestion to put boxes in the Dolman. This was before the ground was redeveloped and I sure it was an idea that was floated without any consideration of the practicality. In reality it would have been impractical as a large section of seats at the back would have been lost to incorporate the dining area of each box and food and drink facilities would somehow have to have been fitted in. 

They were muted back in the 90s, with elevators taking people up! The initial pictures of the redevelopment we have now also showed boxes and a pillar in the dolman! I will find the pictures when i can and share! 

Edited by BS30 City
  • Like 2

On 31/08/2023 at 22:17, BS30 City said:

They were muted back in the 90s, with elevators taking people up! The initial pictures of the redevelopment we have now also showed boxes and a pillar in the dolman! I will find the pictures when i can and share! 

Elevators like they have in the lansdown stand corporate?

On 24/08/2023 at 17:28, bs3 said:

Drove past the ground today and noticed Wickes was still open and it got me wondering when the build will start for the basketball arena .  Planning was granted in October of last year and I recall a start date for the build was summer 23. 

Have a there been a delay in the build or is everything still on schedule.

Sporting Quarter approved : https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-sporting-quarter-longmoor-8719721?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

On 31/08/2023 at 21:53, pongo88 said:

The sun blazing into Dolman corporate boxes would be a nightmare!  They would need tinted windows and air con pumping!

• Like 1

On 25/08/2023 at 11:15, Pearcy said:

The South Stand currently hold just over 6,000. If you add another tier I guess that would bring it up to about 9,000. The Atyeo currently holds 4,200. If rebuilt in the same way as the South Stand that can be either 6,000 with one tier or roughly 9,000 with two tiers. This would bring capacity up to nearly 30,000 (if a tier is added to the South Stand), or 32,000 (if a tier is added to the South Stand and the Atyeo is rebuilt) or 35,000 (if a tier is added to the South Stand and the Atyeo is rebuilt with two tiers).

Probably more than that because you be able to wrap around into the Lansdown Stand. 

On 25/08/2023 at 14:51, Thomas_red said:

Fill in the corners and add capacity (boxes or seats) in the Atyeo feels like the only options available.

If we were in the Premier League this season we'd have a larger ground than 6 of the clubs (with Fulham's new stand still incomplete).

I remember Lansdown saying that seats could easily be added in the corners if needed. 

But if we got to the prem then it's the corporate facilities that need adding, that's where the money is. 

Adding a second tier to the SS would mean you can get in a row of boxes. 

Apart from a few who I've seen said they attend...how many go to watch basketball? Is it popular in Bristol?

I played it for the school team back in the day, we had a teacher who was ex England who coached...but I've never watched it since. 

When living in Canada, Basketball, Baseball, Ice hockey, American football were pretty much 24/7 on TV...went to a few live hockey games in Kamloops, but jeez I find all those sports boring. 

Just interested...and as an SL investment...etc...

28 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The Gas have snapped up the best to build their megastand, which is evidently going to tie them up for years, so we may have to accept second best.

They're coming for us!?

There`s still plenty of retired trades in South Bristol who would just like to keep their hands in. Other clubs do it so why wouldn`t we?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Apart from a few who I've seen said they attend...how many go to watch basketball? Is it popular in Bristol?

I played it for the school team back in the day, we had a teacher who was ex England who coached...but I've never watched it since. 

When living in Canada, Basketball, Baseball, Ice hockey, American football were pretty much 24/7 on TV...went to a few live hockey games in Kamloops, but jeez I find all those sports boring. 

Just interested...and as an SL investment...etc...

I think I saw they sell out the current, smaller, arena quite often. Not that I take much notice. 
I think they are doing reasonably well too. 

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think I saw they sell out the current, smaller, arena quite often. Not that I take much notice. 
I think they are doing reasonably well too. 

@Davefevsis your man for this. I do think it is pretty well supported with a lot of families making a night out of going. It`s not for me but I can see the attraction - fast paced and high scoring with pretty much constant action for a lot of kids.

On 31/08/2023 at 21:53, pongo88 said:

Unfortunately tho if we got to the Premier league, the income from a row of boxes would greatly outweigh the income of rows of seats. 

I remember structural design work being done and it can be done. There is also a space under the seating deck that can be used for corporate facilities. 

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

@Davefevsis your man for this. I do think it is pretty well supported with a lot of families making a night out of going. It`s not for me but I can see the attraction - fast paced and high scoring with pretty much constant action for a lot of kids.

Yep, I know Dave is a keen fan.

I might go when the new Arena is built, just to be nosey , not really my bag either but I enjoy the Rugby when I go, so you never know.

• Like 1