IGNORED

Hull City away match thread

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Anyone think we're looking tired now? Hull pressing us much higher up and we're not returning the favour and now dangerous play in our own third.

A little…then we got going again.  We gave away some sloppy passes and that gave Hull encouragement.  I think Hull were a bit content to take sting out if us after our equaliser, but we had chances to spring them, or punch passes in the centre of the pitch and it didn’t quite run for us.  We dug in and improved for the end of the game.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

A little…then we got going again.  We gave away some sloppy passes and that gave Hull encouragement.  I think Hull were a bit content to take sting out if us after our equaliser, but we had chances to spring them, or punch passes in the centre of the pitch and it didn’t quite run for us.  We dug in and improved for the end of the game.

TBF, we dominated for long spells,  they were always going to have a spell and I thought we reset and went again well.
Take the first 10/15 minutes out and we were the better side for nearly all of the game.

1 hour ago, ChrisBW said:

Connolly missed the 2 best chances of the game.

Really?  The 1v1 was a good chance, but he squared himself up making it difficult to execute.

The one on the angle was not better than several of ours.  Williams, Wells, Sykes were far better than that one and contenders for being better than the 1v1.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A paragraph from Rosenior's post match. Thoughts.

"What pleased me was after they scored we gained control of the game again and then they didn't have a kick other than the long throws in our box from us being naive towards the end."

Managers making the best of things, AKA bullshit baffles brains

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"What pleased me was after they scored we gained control of the game again and then they didn't have a kick other than the long throws in our box from us being naive towards the end."

My thoughts haven't changed. The blokes a be***nd.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

-they scored, they hit the post, twine free kick, Connolly missed 1-1 and max save from him on the angle. Pretty clear and obvious.

I bow to your greater knowledge as a qualified referee,  but then again so are Linnington , Stroud and Davies!

You're not "The Academic " are you?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They did to be fair, once we scored we sat off them similar to how PNE did against us. 

• Confused 1
8 minutes ago, Midred said:

I bow to your greater knowledge as a qualified referee,  but then again so are Linnington , Stroud and Davies!

You're not "The Academic " are you?

I ref with someone who is the exact same as Stroud, to be fair even refs at the lowest level take it very seriously, I don’t, i do it for the money really. I don’t know what your last academic question means.

Edited by ChrisBW
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They certainly had more ball and matched us better after the equaliser but his take makes it sound like they were pushing us in waves and we were just relying on some scrappy play. 

I think he is exaggerating their dominance after the equaliser, but we did sit off a bit.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Combination of them pushing a bit more probably and us sitting a bit. All the same he went quite off with that paragraph.

Think we'll be fine if we play like that. Bit of luck with injuries and officiating wouldn't go amiss either.

We have been decent away from home for a while. Home form major concern.

Just now, And Its Smith said:

A joke:

How do you know if someone is a qualified referee? 

They will tell you 

I ref with level 7 officials who spend at least £500 a year on kit, they love it. 

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

I ref with someone who is the exact same as Stroud, to be fair even refs at the lowest level take it very seriously, I don’t, i do it for the money really. I don’t know what your last academic question means.

Another poster who used to claim that his qualifications made his opinions more worthy than others.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, The Masked Man said:

I thought that we lost some momentum after the equaliser due to the substitutions and that allowed Hull to have a ten minute spell where they were on top. Once we got to injury time we looked more likely to get the winner. 

I think it was the Hull subs that actually helped them get a foothold in the game, the ironic thing is that they came on just before we equalised.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Haven't been able to really follow it tonight, other than the score.

So, for those who were there, what was the main thing we did different tonight that we failed to do at home against Peston or Birmingham?

Or were Hull just a weajer proposition?

Hull definitely not weaker, but a case of being different.  They play nice football, well choreographed patterns, they worked Coyle free a lot early on (Bell got triggers wrong), Seri is class in CM, Tufan has undoubted quality and Traore has some lovely touches.  Twine didn’t do a lot, bar two free-kicks, although they picked him out with a few diags second half.  Estupinan and Connelly gave them some physicality and movement when they came off the bench.

But they are more open than Brum, Preston and Millwall put together.  Tufan and Traore don’t like to track back, and combined with our quicker passing tempo, facilitated by Naismith, benefitting Knight (and Williams first half) enabled us to get the ball forward quicker and not allow Hull’s defence to set.  We worked some very good openings in a 15 minute first half spell where we could’ve scored a few.  It was a travesty to be 0-1 at h-t.

At 1-1 after an hour, I thought we’d go on to put them under a lot of pressure, not saying we’d win, but Hull had their most controlled spell for 15 minutes or so, until our subs got us back into a fairly end-to-end final 5 plus injury, where we almost snatched it.

Hull put their bodies on the line, blocking shots, clearing off the line.  We actually had some melees in THEIR box.  Max saved well at the other end, handling well.

It was a bloody good game.

You’d have enjoyed your walk back to the car!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reading through the posts and the usual suspects that are first to stick the boot in is pretty obvious we have a growing element of 'fans ' who think that a stray pass or goal conceded is the trigger to campaign again for Pearson's head. This is mid match or in this case 17 minutes in, utterly ridiculous and wanting it seems for the team to fail just to reinforce their tragic personalities. From what any sane person was to observe was that even before the goal we were playing well and on top.

I dislike the term Troll, for it is used to silence someones sincere and honest views, but Savage and co. you have no excuses and no valid reason to constantly berate this club and now the genuine supporters, as you did tonight in calling the true reds 'clowns'.

Makes you wonder what their true motivations are in logging on every matchday, they are not City related that's for sure.

• Like 14
7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Haven't been able to really follow it tonight, other than the score.

So, for those who were there, what was the main thing we did different tonight that we failed to do at home against Peston or Birmingham?

Or were Hull just a weajer proposition?

I was at the game. It was a cracker. Beforehand I was really anxious because the performance against Brum was poor. We started well but the Hull goal was very clinical and I thought we might get rolled at that point. Classic away vibes as well with the graceless young firms on either side giving it some beans, a descent into Hull, and a very long night in prospect. But... They maintained their workrate and were much more like the side from the latter half of last season. It was much much better to watch.

I felt one of the key differences was that the Pring, Sykes, Knight, Naismith all had really good games. Players were much more assertive in the press. The passing was a lot better. Against Birmingham the ambition didn't match the result, players tried to thread the needle and failed - Williams was a case in point, as was Vyner, who seemed to think he was Trent AA last week with his distribution. Here, Naismith was excellent. Perhaps that reduced the pressure on Vyner to make the pass. Vyner also did some of those runs we *sometimes* like to see.

Bell has copped some flak but I felt he was much more threatening than he was in the middle. On several occasions both Bell and Sykes got in behind. On occasion Bell makes the wrong decision, he could have cut back late on for a goal but went round, and he still can get pushed off the ball by a crafty defender and is left wondering why. Sykes was a constant threat.

Knight looked like he is beginning to settle at this level and the play with Sykes, Pring and James was good. Basically, Knight showed here the kind of touch he showed in the friendlies.

Weimann's cameo was sad and a bit strange. Taylor Hickman looked good, made the right pass. Hard to tell on the foul but it looked like he got the player from where I was (i.e miles away).

I came away happy with the point. I found my car and avoided the stream of northerners in a very dark car park. We could have had all three, yes, but so could they. They had several chances including one "how the f did that not go in" towards the end. 

Some optimism has returned. 

Edited by pj76
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 3