IGNORED

Post Hull Thoughts

Silvio Dante

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

First off - definitely deserved the point (at least)

General thoughts:

Naismith - excellent in distribution at the back. Adds so much and without Scott and the lack of creativity he either needs to be in the 3 in midfield or the two at the back. I’m tempted to consider the 3-5-2 again because I think Dickie and Vyner add so much and I think we lack quality up top

Knight - Again, excellent, best league game I’ve seen him have. Pressed, distributed, played very well and not bullied

Sykes - Another one who was very good - work rate superb, good quality. One of the three picks for me but Wells runs close

Overall a very good day. I still feel Bell isn’t showing enough to be in the side, but as an away performance overall, I think that was excellent.

Agree with all of this. Could’ve won it, could easily have lost it. Knight his best game for us. Bell the obvious weak link…..footballing brain, distribution, decision making miles off expected standard.

• Like 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

General thoughts:

Naismith - excellent in distribution at the back. Adds so much and without Scott and the lack of creativity he either needs to be in the 3 in midfield or the two at the back. I’m tempted to consider the 3-5-2 again because I think Dickie and Vyner add so much and I think we lack quality up top

Knight - Again, excellent, best league game I’ve seen him have. Pressed, distributed, played very well and not bullied

Sykes - Another one who was very good - work rate superb, good quality. One of the three picks for me but Wells runs close

Overall a very good day. I still feel Bell isn’t showing enough to be in the side, but as an away performance overall, I think that was excellent.

Absolutely spot on Silvio, can see bell having a spell on the bench soon , the game passes him by sometimes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

a very good day. I still feel Bell isn’t showing enough to be in the side, but as an away performance overall, I think that was excellent.

Yeah wasn’t at his best. He didn’t track their RB all game and left Pring in the lurch a few times.

Luckily Pring was on fire tonight.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

General thoughts:

Spot on. Also, Pring excellent too. And garder-Haskins with a few classy touches on his debut . . One lovely pass to break the lines. Promising. 
Really enjoyable performance, played very well and unlucky not to get 3 points. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

General thoughts:

Definitely need Naismith in midfield. Best passer of the ball at the club but doesn't quite have the positional discipline to play CB for me.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

Cornick looks far better down the middle than playing off the side. He gives you a genuine focal point and actually plays like the number on his back.

Said it already but Greaves & Jones (a Bristol lad) are decent Championship defenders but he constantly harassed them into kicking it out or anywhere.

Very useful when we need an outlet late on- he isn’t easy on the eye (reminds me of Marley Watkins) but you can see what he’s all about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Definitely need Naismith in midfield. Best passer of the ball at the club but doesn't quite have the positional discipline to play CB for me.

If he was at centre-back for the Birmingham game I bet you’d have seen a very different team performance. Sure, we may look less secure, but we look so much better in possession. For starters he pins the right full-back further back because he hits the diagonal so well, which then opens more space inside the full-back etc.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Said it already but Greaves & Jones (a Bristol lad) are decent Championship defenders but he constantly harassed them into kicking it out or anywhere.

Very useful when we need an outlet late on- he isn’t easy on the eye (reminds me of Marley Watkins) but you can see what he’s all about.

I know he’s not had the easiest start but comparing him to Marley Watkins feels overly harsh… ?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I know he’s not had the easiest start but comparing him to Marley Watkins feels overly harsh… ?

He’s just a bit scruffy, isn’t he?

Bet Pearson likes him though, plays for the team & not himself.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Time for a Roberts Pring combo down the left?

Neither Mehmeti nor Bell convince me at all 

Definitely time. Roberts needs to start. Bell a great asset off the bench though. 

Thought Max was very poor Saturday but made a few brilliant saves tonight so certainly made up for it.

4 points from two very good away performances. Just need to get our home form right and we will be ok. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Journalist said:

Yeah, he’s certainly not a natural footballer. I like him, though.

(Watkins wasn’t a footballer at all and was lucky to get in the Bath City team when I covered them in my very early BBC days!).

You mean the same bloke who scored the winner against Rangers last week? ?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Few others;

Couple of very good saves by Max, Tanner found Twine a tough opponent, Vyner’s distribution wasn’t great, Joe Williams had a decent game & looks far fitter, for all the hate he gets on here Cornick was an absolute pest as a sub, forced their defenders into numerous hurried clearances & helped us to stay up the pitch late on & a bit unlucky not to score.

Embarrasing to read the mosners try to shoehorn their gripes into their narrative after that.

Yeah I’d go with most of those. I think Max’s “star” save on about 43 was a bit more luck than judgement but he did well overall. I still think we need better, but it wasn’t his worst game.

Williams good - maybe should have scored but he’s not in the team for that!

Vyner - agree. Defended well but let himself down in distribution.

Cornick - hard agree. Wish after that skill at the end he’s able to find the pass but he definitely makes a difference, whether people like him or not!

• Thanks 1

We were good all over the pitch and everyone put in a shift. 

We lost the ball a few times playing out against the press and it got annoying toward the end. 

However everyone did well. Chances fell to players who should have done better but the new lad Hickman looked really neat and hit a shot on target from range that may bode well. Shame about the yellow card mind you! ? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

General thoughts:

I don't think he plays to his strengths very well, seems to take a lot of touches and slows the ball down and then does not have the trickery to take the man on, he would be better pushing it out quickly and getting his opposition moving backwards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Yeah, he’s certainly not a natural footballer. I like him, though.

(Watkins wasn’t a footballer at all and was lucky to get in the Bath City team when I covered them in my very early BBC days!).

I always thought Watkins got a bad rap here, he popped up with goals when he played. But like Cornick just unglamorous.