IGNORED

Post Hull Thoughts

Silvio Dante

8 hours ago, tin said:

Agreed, and it baffled me that when Roberts came on it was to play LW, rather than slot him in at LB and push Pring forward.

Bell consistently doesn’t do enough for me. He needs to offer a lot more than a good press, but that’s supposedly what he’s in the team for. 

Funny to me makes sense to have Pring LB and Roberts LW. Bell (goal against PNE aside) has been poor every game. Mehmeti more threatening but missing end product, so I'd be happy trying a Pring / Roberts combo from the start of the next game.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

Whilst Naismith at the back can raise the blood pressure at times, what he does eliminate from our game is that awful passing backwards and forwards across our back line.  His first thought is forward ball, and it massively improves the speed of our attack, not allowing the opposition to reset.  Positive 

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

Genuinely feel a return to 3.5.2 will see a more positive return for goals. Naismith, Dickie and Vyner has a nice feel to it possession wise. Whatever happens Naismith needs to be in the team (even if in goal!! ?). He gives us so much and is the best footballer at the club, wand of a left foot, I would argue the best we’ve had since Tinnion in that respect. So much better last night, albeit again feeling the loss of Scott and Tommy. I really hope we can try for one more attacking player at least this Friday, dare I say if we need to trade that we consider Williams, higher earner and despite his commitment and likeable approach, he offers us very little. Is definitely the weakest of the CM. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In midfield now Dickie’s one match suspension is over we could use Naismith there. We also have James, Knight, Williams, Gardiner-Hickman & at a push, King.

Even if we had any funds we wouldn’t be adding another midfielder.

Yep all options - I’m talking about top 6 quality though.

I look at that list you’ve got there and fit, not suspended and on form that’s fine - but I’ll have a little £1 wager with you now, that list won’t stay like that and I believe we could well feel very short and lacking quality there for chunks of this season. 

If McCrorie is out for season, TGH will be covering RB more.

James, King and Naismith all similar but don’t have the athleticism and pace we’re missing in the middle.

On paper it’s covered and in general I’m against padding the squad, but for me there are key attributes missing from our midfield options that if found could make a huge difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

32 minutes ago, BigRobsBiggestFan said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing this away from home when we are more countering. Would make us more solid defensively and we know Pring is excellent carrying the ball.

Very impressed with your left-back Pring last night, he looks a tenacious player.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely deserved the point. I think this game highlights that if you give our side space then we can play a bit. Preston and Birmingham gave us no space at all in the two home games to play our stuff.

Knight, Naismith, Vyner, Pring and Sykes all had great games last night. Great to see Pring back to his form from last season, couple of great crunching tackles in the 2nd half especially, I do wonder if maybe the contract situation may have been on his mind for the first few games?

I love the way we play from the back when Naismith is in there, despite the fact he is prone to the odd mistake and error, we just play with much more fluidity when he is in the team.

Only negative is I don't think Sam Bell should be starting matches at the moment he's too slow in his decision making.

Overall a positive night and should have really won the game on chances created.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Absolutely deserved the point. I think this game highlights that if you give our side space then we can play a bit. Preston and Birmingham gave us no space at all in the two home games to play our stuff.

Knight, Naismith, Vyner, Pring and Sykes all had great games last night. Great to see Pring back to his form from last season, couple of great crunching tackles in the 2nd half especially, I do wonder if maybe the contract situation may have been on his mind for the first few games?

I love the way we play from the back when Naismith is in there, despite the fact he is prone to the odd mistake and error, we just play with much more fluidity when he is in the team.

Only negative is I don't think Sam Bell should be starting matches at the moment he's too slow in his decision making.

Overall a positive night and should have really won the game on chances created.

We will continue to have less space at home, so we'd better work out how to break them down. We've changed tactics since last two seasons when we were playing to entice opposition, home and away, to come at us and hit them on the break. Now we're aiming to break down opponents in midfield and touchlines and at home it ain't working.

Step up the coaching staf to sort it out.

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I agree on Sam Bell, he isn’t for me yet good enough at this level and a season loan to L1 could be a good trade off. I actually think Bell and Williams could be traded for a couple of attack minded players this week. It won’t happen, but if I could think of two players who are the weak links at present it is them in my opinion. Sam has a good burst of pace, but he lacks the positional sense and strength to play at this level. We have fast tracked him, he’s just not at it. Nowhere near the level of Conway who will play PL football without a doubt. Love to be proven wrong, just don’t ever feel he will deliver when he gets into good positions, falls over far too often. Hard to say as think he’s a great lad and his dad was the best penalty taker in club history. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I agree on Sam Bell, he isn’t for me yet good enough at this level and a season loan to L1 could be a good trade off. I actually think Bell and Williams could be traded for a couple of attack minded players this week. It won’t happen, but if I could think of two players who are the weak links at present it is them in my opinion. Sam has a good burst of pace, but he lacks the positional sense and strength to play at this level. We have fast tracked him, he’s just not at it. Nowhere near the level of Conway who will play PL football without a doubt. Love to be proven wrong, just don’t ever feel he will deliver when he gets into good positions, falls over far too often. Hard to say as think he’s a great lad and his dad was the best penalty taker in club history. 

Agree with you on Bell. Maybe needs a loan out to a L1 side. Just needs his decision making to catch up with his actual speed and he'd be an asset. He is also a little on the powderpuff side as well at times. 

On Williams - he's a player we need. James and Naismith have a history of being crocked for a month or two at a time and is a squad player for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Yep all options - I’m talking about top 6 quality though.

I look at that list you’ve got there and fit, not suspended and on form that’s fine - but I’ll have a little £1 wager with you now, that list won’t stay like that and I believe we could well feel very short and lacking quality there for chunks of this season. 

If McCrorie is out for season, TGH will be covering RB more.

James, King and Naismith all similar but don’t have the athleticism and pace we’re missing in the middle.

On paper it’s covered and in general I’m against padding the squad, but for me there are key attributes missing from our midfield options that if found could make a huge difference. 

Appreciate your view but can’t see it.

Not been confirmed that McCrorie is out for the season but even if that’s so (huge blow) I can definitely see TGH featuring In midfield at times when Tanner starts.

Think King will only be a last resort pick this season (maybe make a few Cup appearances) but otherwise Knight is a strong option, James will always do his 35 games, Williams looks fitter to me & if Dickie & Vyner stay fit Naismith is a great alternative.

I do believe Nige is telling the truth that he has no funds to add but if we do bring in one then my guess is it would be far more likely to be a young striker to lighten the load on Nakhi until TC is back.

Not holding my breath on that though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I’ve been consistent on Bell - I’m not sold on him at all. There is clearly something there - he’s quick and IIRC Tins stated he was the best finisher at the club. However, in the season and a bit he’s had games up top/wide I’ve never seen enough to say that there is a player at this level. There might be ultimately but I think decision making and game awareness is way off.

The fact he’s the only one of the front men to have started all games (I think) I’d put down to him competing with an injured Weimann and an adapting Mehmeti.

I’m not writing him off yet but he needs to seriously start showing more both short term and over the course of the season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ve been consistent on Bell - I’m not sold on him at all. There is clearly something there - he’s quick and IIRC Tins stated he was the best finisher at the club. However, in the season and a bit he’s had games up top/wide I’ve never seen enough to say that there is a player at this level. There might be ultimately but I think decision making and game awareness is way off.

The fact he’s the only one of the front men to have started all games (I think) I’d put down to him competing with an injured Weimann and an adapting Mehmeti.

I’m not writing him off yet but he needs to seriously start showing more both short term and over the course of the season.

Don’t disagree but any talk of loaning him out is madness.

If we did so (we won’t) then the player we brought in would almost certainly be less experienced.

We have a small squad & although I’d like Mehmeti to be given more opportunities he will have a significant part to play.

Likewise Williams, I thought he was very good last night & if his availability continues to improve he will be important.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Genuinely feel a return to 3.5.2 will see a more positive return for goals. Naismith, Dickie and Vyner has a nice feel to it possession wise. Whatever happens Naismith needs to be in the team (even if in goal!! ?). He gives us so much and is the best footballer at the club, wand of a left foot, I would argue the best we’ve had since Tinnion in that respect. So much better last night, albeit again feeling the loss of Scott and Tommy. I really hope we can try for one more attacking player at least this Friday, dare I say if we need to trade that we consider Williams, higher earner and despite his commitment and likeable approach, he offers us very little. Is definitely the weakest of the CM. 

3.5.2 would be interesting, but I can’t see it happening. City played with four at the back for half (?) of last season and pre-season so I don’t think NP is suddenly going to change the formation.  The team is just beginning to gel with the current shape so why change it? I think we just need to be more clinical in front of goal. No cash to splash so NP’s got to tinker with what he’s got and wait till Conway’s fit 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bell isnt quick though! When do you see him go past a full back and skin him, never.  
Hes not slow but hes definitely not quick to scare a defender!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Very encouraged last night but when you think we now have a cup game on Tuesday and an opportunity to rest some players it presses home just how thin our squad is. Within the midfield 3, we only really have King (who I was hoping would be used more in a coaching capacity this season) and TGW (who Pearson sees as a RB and came in in that position last night). Naismith can play there but I wouldn’t like to risk playing him again in there so soon after a recurring injury - plus if he is our cover at CB, he can’t cover both positions. 

We are not far off but desperately need another 2/3 arrivals through the spine of the pitch, otherwise I just can’t see us managing to compete in over a long season. 

Pearson talks about this wage cap, but that is self-imposed. Surely with the 25m + Semenyo sale we have room to make more additions. I’ve always supported Lansdown and am very appreciative of everything he’s done, but if we don’t make signings next week then his time is up.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Agree with you on Bell. Maybe needs a loan out to a L1 side. Just needs his decision making to catch up with his actual speed and he'd be an asset. He is also a little on the powderpuff side as well at times. 

On Williams - he's a player we need. James and Naismith have a history of being crocked for a month or two at a time and is a squad player for me. 

You don't send a player out on loan that  spent the whole of last season in the first team squad playing a good number of games and scoring a few  goals,and started every game this season it would be absolutely soul destroying for him and would not benefit him or the club in anyway whatsoever. If he's deemed not good enough finding a buyer and selling him on would be the preferred approach.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Very encouraged last night but when you think we now have a cup game on Tuesday and an opportunity to rest some players it presses home just how thin our squad is. Within the midfield 3, we only really have King (who I was hoping would be used more in a coaching capacity this season) and TGW (who Pearson sees as a RB and came in in that position last night). Naismith can play there but I wouldn’t like to risk playing him again in there so soon after a recurring injury - plus if he is our cover at CB, he can’t cover both positions. 

We are not far off but desperately need another 2/3 arrivals through the spine of the pitch, otherwise I just can’t see us managing to compete in over a long season. 

Pearson talks about this wage cap, but that is self-imposed. Surely with the 25m + Semenyo sale we have room to make more additions. I’ve always supported Lansdown and am very appreciative of everything he’s done, but if we don’t make signings next week then his time is up.  

Can we stop with this false accusation  that the squad is thin the first team squad has 25 players( average number for a Championship side) backed up by a number of players from one of the best and most productive academies in the country.The club has endured great misfortune regarding injuries but it would not be sustainable to have around 45 first team players many being paid and never actually playing just to provide cover for any potential absentees.

We do need to sort out the home form but you watch last night and you can see why there was optimism going into the season. Can’t blame people for having strong opinions when you play poorly at home though. Just a general point to why you get negativity. 

We seem to be more a possession side than counter side this season. Idk if that is us or opposition not pressing as high as they could. If we are going to have a lot of the ball think we need more Naismith and Sykes in the side. Wells too really even though I like Cornick coming on late to be a pest. Not sure he’d help us for 60 min having the ball as much as Wells does. 

Enjoyed last night after the first 20 min and their goal. Personally, that draw feels better than some wins. I enjoyed the intent to press and get forward when we won the ball. We lose being brave then it is what it is for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

First off - definitely deserved the point (at least)

General thoughts:

Naismith - excellent in distribution at the back. Adds so much and without Scott and the lack of creativity he either needs to be in the 3 in midfield or the two at the back. I’m tempted to consider the 3-5-2 again because I think Dickie and Vyner add so much and I think we lack quality up top

Knight - Again, excellent, best league game I’ve seen him have. Pressed, distributed, played very well and not bullied

Sykes - Another one who was very good - work rate superb, good quality. One of the three picks for me but Wells runs close

Overall a very good day. I still feel Bell isn’t showing enough to be in the side, but as an away performance overall, I think that was excellent.

Only thing I’d say on Naismith is first 10/15 (and this goes for the team generally) his distribution was shit and wasteful. Too many long balls and it wasn’t working.

I think this was in part due to Hulls press and therefore lack of options. I guess it’s an improvement from last year when he may have forced a shorter pass and lost the ball in a dangerous area though…

Othwr than that I agree, his passing and his carrying the ball forwards to invite and beat the press helped us dominate parts of that second half

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

onside when Knight hit his shot but borderline offside when the ball was deflected by a Hull player. If he was onside when Knight hit the ball, surely the deflection has no bearing?

What you have to understand is that any rule is there to be interpreted by the officials against  Bristol City. Simple really. 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Appreciate your view but can’t see it.

Not been confirmed that McCrorie is out for the season but even if that’s so (huge blow) I can definitely see TGH featuring In midfield at times when Tanner starts.

Think King will only be a last resort pick this season (maybe make a few Cup appearances) but otherwise Knight is a strong option, James will always do his 35 games, Williams looks fitter to me & if Dickie & Vyner stay fit Naismith is a great alternative.

I do believe Nige is telling the truth that he has no funds to add but if we do bring in one then my guess is it would be far more likely to be a young striker to lighten the load on Nakhi until TC is back.

Not holding my breath on that though.

Agree with all this - to be honest, my first post (continuation of transfer chat the other day on other thread TBH) was about what I ‘hope’ we do transfer wise and ‘hypothetically’ where I’d look to upgrade if we could. 

As you say, I can’t see it happening - but if the Scott sale has given us some wiggle room on budget - my hope is that SL can see the foundations that are in place and the potential in this squad with one or even 2 upgrades/additions.  

All ideal world speculation.

But I stand by earlier statement that could well find ourselves short of quality in midfield this season and having runs of games where we’re getting overrun in the middle. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
51 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Bell isnt quick though! When do you see him go past a full back and skin him, never.  
Hes not slow but hes definitely not quick to scare a defender!

I'd say Bell's pace with the ball is often similar to the average Championship full back so the key will be to get Nais playing slide rule passes and asking Bell to play on the shoulder of the FB, once he's behind not many catch him up. But he's not quite quick enough to glide past if he isn't already ahead.

11 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would have taken a point beforehand, now a bit fed up it wasn't 3.

I no longer understand the offside rule as Nahki was onside when Knight hit his shot but borderline offside when the ball was deflected by a Hull player. If he was onside when Knight hit the ball, surely the deflection has no bearing?

Well played boys, particularly Knight and Kal. 

He must have been off when the shot was taken.

the only confusion was around the “deliberate action” by the defender. They’ve over complicated the rule with this and made it even more subjective, especially without VAR when you only get one look at it

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

We do need to sort out the home form but you watch last night and you can see why there was optimism going into the season. Can’t blame people for having strong opinions when you play poorly at home though. Just a general point to why you get negativity. 

Negativity is fine, people react to what they see and the 2 home performances haven't been good.

However the past week or so has gone beyond simple annoyance with a poor result and performance into a full-on crisis where pretty much everyone at the club from SL downwards has copped flak and had their capabilities and intentions questioned and the season practically written off. That's not a normal, healthy reaction to one defeat and I really hope it's not a sign of things to come or this place will become bordeline unusable.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 8