IGNORED

Post Hull Thoughts

Silvio Dante

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What you have to understand is that any rule is there to be interpreted by the officials against  Bristol City. Simple really. 

Indeed, while it maybe 4 years back now didn't Assombolonga score against us at AG with a similar deflection into his path.

Was allowed yes..maybe the two weren't quite the same or maybe the rules changed yet again as they seem to do.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed, while it maybe 4 years back now didn't Assombolonga score against us at AG with a similar deflection into his path.

Was allowed yes..maybe the two weren't quite the same or maybe the rules changed yet again as they seem to do.

I had that exact thought last night, by the logic that gave that goal Nakhi should be classed onside. I’m sure they changed the rule around 8:10 last night though.

1 minute ago, BigRobsBiggestFan said:

I had that exact thought last night, by the logic that gave that goal Nakhi should be classed onside. I’m sure they changed the rule around 8:10 last night though.

Probably watching both them back in succession but unusual in any event for a linesman to take so long to flag.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Taylor Moore deliberately headed it within his control. The Hull defender didn't have control. That's the distinction in the law but it's probably wrong as the Hull defender was deliberately trying to block it

• Thanks 1

Interesting comment on the Hull forum:

Lucky to get a point out of that, we were poor most of the game. Can't help but think we're being over-coached, LR wants us to look like Barcelona or somebody but we're just not good enough, so why not get us playing what we might be good at? We're in the Championship for heavens sake, not Champions League.

As others have said, Hull play very differently to Preston and Birmingham. We do well against more expansive teams like Hull. Need to find a way to get behind more organised defences. Pearson was pretty clear on how we should have done it in his interviews after Preston and Brum - he felt our wide players didn’t do the business/get forward/want the ball. Hopefully we’re learning. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Taylor Moore deliberately headed it within his control. The Hull defender didn't have control. That's the distinction in the law but it's probably wrong as the Hull defender was deliberately trying to block it

Thanks.

Little bit of a moan here but across the board here it feels like we don't get these little margins, benefits. Okay Preston at home potential Vyner handball but since then this, Dickie 2nd yellow v Birmingham and Bell non penalty v Millwall more than outweigh it. It evens out isn't true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I enjoyed the intent to press and get forward when we won the ball. We lose being brave then it is what it is for me. 

That was one of the most noticeable improvements last night, IMO. In the first half in particular we often had Knight and Williams up in the final third, which helped create overloads for Sykes in particular. And our defenders were also willing to break forward with the ball (which I think is essential to disrupt a fit, organised opposition (i.e. every Championship team).

Playing like that is bound to leave us exposed to the quick break/transition, but I think we have enough of an attacking threat for the benefits to outweigh the risks. It’s certainly more enjoyable to watch!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I agree on Sam Bell, he isn’t for me yet good enough at this level and a season loan to L1 could be a good trade off. I actually think Bell and Williams could be traded for a couple of attack minded players this week. It won’t happen, but if I could think of two players who are the weak links at present it is them in my opinion. Sam has a good burst of pace, but he lacks the positional sense and strength to play at this level. We have fast tracked him, he’s just not at it. Nowhere near the level of Conway who will play PL football without a doubt. Love to be proven wrong, just don’t ever feel he will deliver when he gets into good positions, falls over far too often. Hard to say as think he’s a great lad and his dad was the best penalty taker in club history. 

Why would you loan a 21 year old who’s spent a season in the match day squad.  Like @Silvio DanteI’m not a huge fan, but he has shown flashes of why you keep him around.  What trading value are you gonna get for him…not enough to bring a player in that’s bette, for sure.  There is little / no value to loaning him.

Williams is playing pretty well.  Again, who is gonna loan him and pick up his tab to create funds and make trading viable.

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Bell isnt quick though! When do you see him go past a full back and skin him, never.  
Hes not slow but hes definitely not quick to scare a defender!

Bell is rapid….but without the ball.  He has little skill to take on his man.  Even if he tries to knock it 10 yards past his man and run past him, any defender worth his salt at this level, will stick an arm across him and negate his pace through strength.  Matty Pearson (Huddersfield) did that last season.  His pace comes into its own when he’s running onto balls like Naismith early passes last night (opening 5-8 mins).

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Assombalonga was onside anyway when the ball was passed, just by the time Moore headed it he was 20 yards wrong-side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ve been consistent on Bell - I’m not sold on him at all. There is clearly something there - he’s quick and IIRC Tins stated he was the best finisher at the club. However, in the season and a bit he’s had games up top/wide I’ve never seen enough to say that there is a player at this level. There might be ultimately but I think decision making and game awareness is way off.

The fact he’s the only one of the front men to have started all games (I think) I’d put down to him competing with an injured Weimann and an adapting Mehmeti.

I’m not writing him off yet but he needs to seriously start showing more both short term and over the course of the season.

I think you’ve summed up exactly what I feel - I’m doing what I hate people doing with young players and making judgements too early mind you….but:

For me I worry, based on his attributes, he’s at his ceiling already. 

He’s got pace (there’s some pacy RB’s out there too as standard though) but is not either beating his man 1 v 1 or getting in behind anywhere near enough (once last night?) - compare to Sykes last night, it’s leagues apart. This can improved though and coached better to get him in behind.

Don’t doubt his finishing and when hanging around the back post he’s made some intelligent runs to get some good goals.

I think he will end up being best utilised as one of 2 up top. The way Pearson uses him is not ideal and I wrote that last season too. 

I said it in the match thread it’s like playing with 10 men at times, the ball just bouncing off, over or by him, or him getting owned physically by defenders…and that will hold him back because he doesn’t make up for his lack of physicality and stature with anywhere near enough technical ability on the ball. 

I’m really sorry, I know it’s not a popular opinion, I’d love to be wrong, I love the player, the story and history - but just saying what I see. 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think you’ve summed up exactly what I feel - I’m doing what I hate people doing with young players and making judgements too early mind you….but:

He’s got pace (there’s some pacy RB’s out there too as standard though) but is not either beating his man 1 v 1 or getting in behind anywhere near enough (once last night?) - compare to Sykes last night, it’s leagues apart. This can improved though and coached better to get him in behind.

Don’t doubt his finishing and when hanging around the back post he’s made some intelligent runs to get some good goals.

I think he will end up being best utilised as one of 2 up top. The way Pearson uses him is not ideal and I wrote that last season too. 

I said it in the match thread it’s like playing with 10 men at times, the ball just bouncing off, over or by him, or him getting owned physically by defenders…and that will hold him back because he doesn’t make up for his lack of physicality and stature with anywhere near enough technical ability on the ball. 

I’m really sorry, I know it’s not a popular opinion, I’d love to be wrong, I love the player, the story and history - but just saying what I see. 

I think reading through the thread (and I’m glad it’s here rather than a specific “Sam Bell” thread as that could be seen as a witch-hunt) you’re probably in the majority. Like @Davefevs I see no benefit in loaning Sam out but I also don’t see someone ready for the level consistently.

Few things to add in:

- I think with any young player (not saying you’re doing this) we need to avoid the “Scott tax” - ie Alex was so ready so early we need to understand he was an exception. More typical are players coming through -properly - that bit later. Hence my bit of benefit of doubt.

- The issue I think there is with Sam is that what he’s missing can’t be coached (easily). He’s been in an academy system for years and around football his whole life. If he was going to - for want of a better term - understand the game he would be nearer that by now. If you’ve not got football intelligence at this level you’re dead long term - and that’s both in making good decisions going forward and when you don’t have the ball defensively (fwiw I think Pring has been poor in part due to Bell as he’s not doing the job the other way either)

- We also have to acknowledge that the loss of Scott (him again) may impact how good other players are. As noted, Bells asset is pace on a ball in behind. Until last night with Kal we’ve had nobody who can play that ball so his strength hadn’t had opportunity to be used. However, again Alex is an anomaly and Sam won’t play with players like him all the time so he needs to adapt - back to intelligence again

Like you, I love the story. But if I had to put money on I’d say it ends with Sam leaving us for a lower level in a couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

No it is the truth. He is ok as a squad player but I can’t help but think he is playing a level or two too high. Chasing a ball down the channel yes fine. If we are not going to be in possession, sure can play him in behind. He has some decent movement and work rate in those scenarios. 

However, when we build up he is pretty useless imo. He doesn’t always have the best touch or pass. He can’t cross with his left. He has nothing to scare a defender when 1v1. He misses easy passes imo. Think he gets tunnel vision around the area. 

Happy for him to be around the squad. Has decent pace and is a good finisher. Can see maybe why Pearson likes him but think persisting with him starting is the wrong call imo. Him and Cornick seem perfect subs for where we are at right now. 

I prefer Mehmeti even though he hasn’t been convincing. Think there is a higher upside there at least. However, been saying I hope we add an attacker and this is what I meant. Weimann out sure but we are thin on quality up front. Think once fit our defence and midfield is good on both quality and depth. Forwards(front 3)we have bodies but not many am confident in if they have to start a 10-12 game stretch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We will continue to have less space at home, so we'd better work out how to break them down. We've changed tactics since last two seasons when we were playing to entice opposition, home and away, to come at us and hit them on the break. Now we're aiming to break down opponents in midfield and touchlines and at home it ain't working.

Step up the coaching staf to sort it out.

I think the PNE and Brum games simply highlighted that we had some players not yet in top form, plus Naismith and Conway missing was a big blow. Tanner and Pring were both fixated on defending and rarely carried the ball forward or got into forward positions, Bell is not on form and his decision making so far has been awful.

I'm sure that will get much better as the games go by and last night we saw players running the wings and getting crosses in and midfielders carrying the ball forward and Naismiths passing setting up attacks. Early days, the players will play themselves into form as Pring, Sykes, and Knight did last night and, to a lesser degree, Tanner. Bell needs to keep playing to get into the form of last season, a couple of times he had passes on to a player in a good area but held onto it too long, that will improve I'm sure.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No it is the truth. He is ok as a squad player but I can’t help but think he is playing a level or two too high. Chasing a ball down the channel yes fine. If we are not going to be in possession, sure can play him in behind. He has some decent movement and work rate in those scenarios. 

However, when we build up he is pretty useless imo. He doesn’t always have the best touch or pass. He can’t cross with his left. He has nothing to scare a defender when 1v1. He misses easy passes imo. Think he gets tunnel vision around the area. 

Happy for him to be around the squad. Has decent pace and is a good finisher. Can see maybe why Pearson likes him but think persisting with him starting is the wrong call imo. Him and Cornick seem perfect subs for where we are at right now. 

I prefer Mehmeti even though he hasn’t been convincing. Think there is a higher upside there at least. However, been saying I hope we add an attacker and this is what I meant. Weimann out sure but we are thin on quality up front. Think once fit our defence and midfield is good on both quality and depth. Forwards(front 3)we have bodies but not many am confident in if they have to start a 10-12 game stretch. 

Conway quite convincingly heaped praise on Mehmeti. Said he's really dedicated and dangerous on the ball.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think reading through the thread (and I’m glad it’s here rather than a specific “Sam Bell” thread as that could be seen as a witch-hunt) you’re probably in the majority. Like @Davefevs I see no benefit in loaning Sam out but I also don’t see someone ready for the level consistently.

Few things to add in:

- I think with any young player (not saying you’re doing this) we need to avoid the “Scott tax” - ie Alex was so ready so early we need to understand he was an exception. More typical are players coming through -properly - that bit later. Hence my bit of benefit of doubt.

- The issue I think there is with Sam is that what he’s missing can’t be coached (easily). He’s been in an academy system for years and around football his whole life. If he was going to - for want of a better term - understand the game he would be nearer that by now. If you’ve not got football intelligence at this level you’re dead long term - and that’s both in making good decisions going forward and when you don’t have the ball defensively (fwiw I think Pring has been poor in part due to Bell as he’s not doing the job the other way either)

- We also have to acknowledge that the loss of Scott (him again) may impact how good other players are. As noted, Bells asset is pace on a ball in behind. Until last night with Kal we’ve had nobody who can play that ball so his strength hadn’t had opportunity to be used. However, again Alex is an anomaly and Sam won’t play with players like him all the time so he needs to adapt - back to intelligence again

Like you, I love the story. But if I had to put money on I’d say it ends with Sam leaving us for a lower level in a couple of years.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

You’ve all summed him up well.  Silvio’s bit in bold is key.  It’s up to Sam with the help of his coaches / manager to mature his game.

One of the first things I look at in a young striker (in age group football) is to see whether they can play “both ways”.  I don’t watch tonnes of kids football these days, but you see lots of kids who are supposedly gonna make it look good because they are quick and latch onto through balls and score lots.  Watching Bell in the u23s and u21s over the past season showed he’s definitely got that.  But can he play the other way, back to goal, link up play, make runs to aid his teammates.  I’ve seen little of that.  Conway had it from the first time I saw him.  SPH has it (at what level I don’t know yet).  I look for the same thing in lower league strikers who get touted.  What type of goals to they score, all one-v-ones or multi-type.  That’s not to say a one-way striker can’t make it at higher levels, but it gives them less chance imho.

We saw last night how poor he was w/o the ball, both triggering presses - how many times did Jones / McLoughlin suck him in and bypass him, and positioning v Coyle.

IMG_8496.thumb.jpeg.c32c71414f887de4947fc03b098ee0b0.jpeg

Inside 37 seconds he got sucked onto Jones, leaving Coyle and Traore 2v1 on Pring.

IMG_8502.thumb.jpeg.9a699a18b464a280ec92d24d32301d1d.jpeg

Inside 5 mins, he’s just about to do the same, because he’s naively thought just because Wells almost pinched it off McLoughlin he can press Jones, but he’s miles away, and he’s bypassed…again.

For balance.

IMG_8506.thumb.jpeg.a4708c2e8a2eaa9b53f90fd79e4f4972.jpeg

he holds a better position here, in-touch with Coyle, but blocking straight pass to Traore.  But that was a rare example in opening 20 mins.  We made Coyle (a decent RB who had a ‘mare at AG last season) look like Cafu.

For further balance, because it’s easy to make sweeping statements, I thought he did decently against Millwall / McNanara…but in hindsight you might argue Millwall don’t play well choreographed patterns like Hull do.

Last night he reminded me of O’Dowda in some ways, a “little boy lost”.

Big season for him imho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Why would you loan a 21 year old who’s spent a season in the match day squad.  Like @Silvio DanteI’m not a huge fan, but he has shown flashes of why you keep him around.  What trading value are you gonna get for him…not enough to bring a player in that’s bette, for sure.  There is little / no value to loaning him.

Williams is playing pretty well.  Again, who is gonna loan him and pick up his tab to create funds and make trading viable.

Bell is rapid….but without the ball.  He has little skill to take on his man.  Even if he tries to knock it 10 yards past his man and run past him, any defender worth his salt at this level, will stick an arm across him and negate his pace through strength.  Matty Pearson (Huddersfield) did that last season.  His pace comes into its own when he’s running onto balls like Naismith early passes last night (opening 5-8 mins).

Assombalonga was onside anyway when the ball was passed, just by the time Moore headed it he was 20 yards wrong-side.

Williams isn’t playing that well, funny how we all see things differently. He doesn’t effect the game enough, is one of our higher earners and is out of contract next summer. We need to improve in the final third, I would be circulating his name this week to replace with better. The point on Bell is that whilst he is in the squad, many don’t believe he is ready for this level. I haven’t been convinced in him from day one, Conway and he were supposed to be a similar level, Conway is way ahead, our prized asset now arguably. If there wasn’t the association to the great Mickey, then I don’t think fans in general would be so accommodating. Look at the critique Cornick and others receive. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Williams isn’t playing that well, funny how we all see things differently. He doesn’t effect the game enough, is one of our higher earners and is out of contract next summer. We need to improve in the final third, I would be circulating his name this week to replace with better. The point on Bell is that whilst he is in the squad, many don’t believe he is ready for this level. I haven’t been convinced in him from day one, Conway and he were supposed to be a similar level, Conway is way ahead, our prized asset now arguably. If there wasn’t the association to the great Mickey, then I don’t think fans in general would be so accommodating. Look at the critique Cornick and others receive. 

But who is gonna pick up Williams on his current wage?

15 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Disagree about Williams a bit. Not the we need to do better bit. I have been on the record saying why not get another midfielder in to share minutes and get used to the level for a season. Yea, we’ll be over budget a bit but for a season only and the new signing would have bedded in. 

Anyway, I think of the two, Williams has been a better performer than James this season imo. Feel like James has been doing a lot of pointless dropping deep to collect the ball when not needed. Also I feel like he is often hiding behind defenders a lot. Maybe I am just noticing when he does it more than how often though. I want an upgrade on both ideally. 

I know injuries have made our options light in there. Which is another reason to recruit one! Tbf if you told me Murphy coming in for sure and TGH are future midfielders then ok. Just the two of Williams and James scares me at times. Think their best days are behind them. 

2 hours ago, eardun said:

Interesting comment on the Hull forum:

Lucky to get a point out of that, we were poor most of the game. Can't help but think we're being over-coached, LR wants us to look like Barcelona or somebody but we're just not good enough, so why not get us playing what we might be good at? We're in the Championship for heavens sake, not Champions League.

As others have said, Hull play very differently to Preston and Birmingham. We do well against more expansive teams like Hull. Need to find a way to get behind more organised defences. Pearson was pretty clear on how we should have done it in his interviews after Preston and Brum - he felt our wide players didn’t do the business/get forward/want the ball. Hopefully we’re learning. 

Brum was my first game at AG for far too long. Judging by that I'd say that the problem is it so much that we struggle to break teams down, but more that our slow and deliberate build up play from the back makes it all too easy for teams to get men back behind the ball and into solid defensive shape.

Players like Bell and Mehmeti are most dangerous with space to run into, but on Saturday our carious build up play meant that when they did get the ball there was no space and they were double marked.

Away from home home teams will tend to be more expansive giving us more space to exploit. It does also seem that Naismith moves the ball forward much quicker and that will change our attacking dynamic significantly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Brum was my first game at AG for far too long. Judging by that I'd say that the problem is it so much that we struggle to break teams down, but more that our slow and deliberate build up play from the back makes it all too easy for teams to get men back behind the ball and into solid defensive shape.

Players like Bell and Mehmeti are most dangerous with space to run into, but on Saturday our carious build up play meant that when they did get the ball there was no space and they were double marked.

Away from home home teams will tend to be more expansive giving us more space to exploit. It does also seem that Naismith moves the ball forward much quicker and that will change our attacking dynamic significantly.

Agree Naismith is a joy to watch. I said same, even when he was making mistakes last season. He makes such a difference to our play. I presume he could do similar from a deep midfield role though which enables Dickie to come back in and he has looked good defensively. Anyone know who replaced Naismith in the Luton defence as I’m somewhat surprised they did so well without him? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bell is rapid….but without the ball.  He has little skill to take on his man.  Even if he tries to knock it 10 yards past his man and run past him, any defender worth his salt at this level, will stick an arm across him and negate his pace through strength.  Matty Pearson (Huddersfield) did that last season.  His pace comes into its own when he’s running onto balls like Naismith early passes last night (opening 5-8 min.

Agree. That's why having Scott behind him was ideal for Bell - and another reason why a forward-sitting midfielder who can knock those perfectly weighted balls behind their defence would be very welcome in our current set-up. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, that was the rule then too. It was onside because whoever the defender was (Vyner?) headed it rather than a block. That's a deliberate play and meant Assombolonga was onside

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Yep, that was the rule then too. It was onside because whoever the defender was (Vyner?) headed it rather than a block. That's a deliberate play and meant Assombolonga was onside

I still reckon he was onside when the pass was played anyway, regardless of what happened! ???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That goal by Assombolonga was an ffing joke. He was miles off and Taylor Moore tracked his run but misjudged his header and the ball fell to Assombolonga who scored. Was shocking that it was given 

• Thanks 1