IGNORED

Post Hull Thoughts

Silvio Dante

17 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Time for a Roberts Pring combo down the left?

Neither Mehmeti nor Bell convince me at all 

Would you consider them the other way around though, Roberts LB, Pring LM?

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s just a bit scruffy, isn’t he?

Bet Pearson likes him though, plays for the team & not himself.

He’s ungainly dressage horse the way he runs, but I’ve long said, he’s a pest.  I think Nahki would like him alongside him, taking the brunt.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah I’d go with most of those. I think Max’s “star” save on about 43 was a bit more luck than judgement but he did well overall. I still think we need better, but it wasn’t his worst game.

Williams good - maybe should have scored but he’s not in the team for that!

Vyner - agree. Defended well but let himself down in distribution.

Cornick - hard agree. Wish after that skill at the end he’s able to find the pass but he definitely makes a difference, whether people like him or not!

That’s why you make the star shape…to cover multiple directions.  Max kept well / very well tonight, but he played us into the shit a couple of times too.

Williams strong first half, quieter second half imho.  Rest him on Tuesday please.

Knight exactly what he’s capable of.  I said when we signed him he’s good in the air too.  Bet he wishes he didn’t make such good contact with that header at the start of the second half.  He rolled his man several times tonight, and he gets away from his man too, you don’t catch him.  My MOTM tonight.

Pring, good game, seeing as Bell dropped him in it.

Naismith, first start don’t forget and did well.  Helped our attack massively.

Gardner-Hickman, not a yellow card and looks on 20 minutes to be a very nice technical player with good passing.

We got a bit open at times second half, had hoped the equaliser would result in our driving on towards victory.  Still, a good point.  Exciting game.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Time for a Roberts Pring combo down the left?

Neither Mehmeti nor Bell convince me at all 

Agreed, and it baffled me that when Roberts came on it was to play LW, rather than slot him in at LB and push Pring forward.

Bell consistently doesn’t do enough for me. He needs to offer a lot more than a good press, but that’s supposedly what he’s in the team for. 

• Like 2

My main thoughts after tonight (if I was SL) are we are 2 or 3 real quality signings from being a very decent team indeed and i'd be getting the calculator and cheque book out.

Also Naismith, Knight, Sykes and Pring excellent.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 8

Agree on knight-showed that he can receive the ball in tight areas and run at defences. Feels like he's more suited to playing away from home where there are gaps.

really enjoyed that game and thought we gave it a good go. Disappointing goal to concede but both teams had really good chances-think we probably deserved to win though.

structure of the team looked good and Naismith added that quality on the ball. Now let's try and replicate that this performance level at home!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

My main thoughts after tonight (if I was SL) are we are 2 or 3 real quality signings from being a very decent team indeed and i'd be getting the calculator and cheque book out.

Also Naismith, Knight, Sykes and Pring excellent.

In what areas of the pitch? Out of curiosity.

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

In what areas of the pitch? Out of curiosity.

1) Main area I'd being looking is in centre-mid for another player that is strong and comfortable on the ball as a Williams upgrade. James (absolutely pivotal for us at the moment, so we need to keep him fit) needs more support in there getting a foot on the ball sometimes and allowing Knight to flourish. Still feel too often we can only control possession at the back and looking direct or by winning high and 'camping'.

2) Also IMO Bell and Mehmeti are off the top half levels at the moment. Cornick did well tonight, but it's battling more than quality. Don't know when Conway is back so i'd also be looking for another (admittedly hen's tooth) forward with power and goals. 

3) You could say CB as the third, but how far off is Atkinson and Naismith did well tonight, so maybe not the priority IMO, look again at situation in Jan.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

I would have taken a point beforehand, now a bit fed up it wasn't 3.

I no longer understand the offside rule as Nahki was onside when Knight hit his shot but borderline offside when the ball was deflected by a Hull player. If he was onside when Knight hit the ball, surely the deflection has no bearing?

Well played boys, particularly Knight and Kal. 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would have taken a point beforehand, now a bit fed up it wasn't 3.

I no longer understand the offside rule as Nahki was onside when Knight hit his shot but borderline offside when the ball was deflected by a Hull player. If he was onside when Knight hit the ball, surely the deflection has no bearing?

Well played boys, particularly Knight and Kal. 

According to the still he was offside when Knight shot….I thought he was on until I saw the pic.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

1) Main area I'd being looking is in centre-mid for another player that is strong and comfortable on the ball as a Williams upgrade. James (absolutely pivotal for us at the moment, so we need to keep him fit) needs more support in there getting a foot on the ball sometimes and allowing Knight to flourish. Still feel too often we can only control possession at the back and looking direct or by winning high and 'camping'.

2) Also IMO Bell and Mehmeti are off the top half levels at the moment. Cornick did well tonight, but it's battling more than quality. Don't know when Conway is back so i'd also be looking for another (admittedly hen's tooth) forward with power and goals. 

3) You could say CB as the third, but how far off is Atkinson and Naismith did well tonight, so maybe not the priority IMO, look again at situation in Jan.

In midfield now Dickie’s one match suspension is over we could use Naismith there. We also have James, Knight, Williams, Gardiner-Hickman & at a push, King.

Even if we had any funds we wouldn’t be adding another midfielder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

In midfield now Dickie’s one match suspension is over we could use Naismith there. We also have James, Knight, Williams, Gardiner-Hickman & at a push, King.

Even if we had any funds we wouldn’t be adding another midfielder.

Striker. Left winger. Cam. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

Striker. Left winger. Cam. 

Do you seriously think that in January we paid a million for Mehmeti, have Sam Bell as an alternative yet would sign a third player for that position?

You’re not Mark Ashton, are you?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Do you seriously think that in January we paid a million for Mehmeti, have Sam Bell as an alternative yet would sign a third player for that position?

No. I don’t think there is any chance. If we want playoffs neither of these 2 are good enough though. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Would you consider them the other way around though, Roberts LB, Pring LM?

He’s ungainly dressage horse the way he runs, but I’ve long said, he’s a pest.  I think Nahki would like him alongside him, taking the brunt.

That’s why you make the star shape…to cover multiple directions.  Max kept well / very well tonight, but he played us into the shit a couple of times too.

Williams strong first half, quieter second half imho.  Rest him on Tuesday please.

Knight exactly what he’s capable of.  I said when we signed him he’s good in the air too.  Bet he wishes he didn’t make such good contact with that header at the start of the second half.  He rolled his man several times tonight, and he gets away from his man too, you don’t catch him.  My MOTM tonight.

Pring, good game, seeing as Bell dropped him in it.

Naismith, first start don’t forget and did well.  Helped our attack massively.

Gardner-Hickman, not a yellow card and looks on 20 minutes to be a very nice technical player with good passing.

We got a bit open at times second half, had hoped the equaliser would result in our driving on towards victory.  Still, a good point.  Exciting game.

2 hours ago, tin said:

Agreed, and it baffled me that when Roberts came on it was to play LW, rather than slot him in at LB and push Pring forward.

Bell consistently doesn’t do enough for me. He needs to offer a lot more than a good press, but that’s supposedly what he’s in the team for. 

Roberts LB, Pring LM. Which gives great flexibility for Roberts to push inside knowing there is Pring for protection out wide 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

39 minutes ago, petehinton said:

This is a Hull side who have a ‘bright young forward thinking manager’ who are massively being backed in the window and ‘giving it a real go’, and How we didn’t win it is a mystery. Hard to find any negatives in that other than we didn’t score 2 or 3

If you want to find negatives, the fact that Hull could have scored 2 or 3 probably points to defensive frailties. Did one close range header bounce off Max's arse and onto the post and across goal?!

Generally though, it was a good away performance. Not spectacular or even dominant, but we edged it, which is always an achievement away from home in this league. 

What we can't criticise is the effort in the final third. All the attacking hunger that had been lacking in the first 3 home games was put right and we caused a load of bother in the Hull penalty area. 

Edited by mozo

We just need a striker. Especially with Weimann getting injured. 

40 minutes ago, mozo said:

If you want to find negatives, the fact that Hull could have scored 2 or 3 probably points to defensive frailties. Did one close range header bounce off Max's arse and onto the post and across goal?!

Generally though, it was a good away performance. Not spectacular or even dominant, but we edged it, which is always an achievement away from home in this league. 

What we can't criticise is the effort in the final third. All the attacking hunger that had been lacking in the first 3 home games was put right and we caused a load of bother in the Hull penalty area. 

You have to remember that Dickie was banned for today's game and we of course still have Atkinson to come back. 

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Very good tonight. I’m starting to sound like a broken record though. Desperate for a striker. One decent number 9 is not enough. Could be the difference between top 10 and bottom half 

My thoughts too, I actually think we have enough creativity just the run or the finishing isn’t there. If we don’t add I hope Sam Bell improves enough to pick it up this season. Have a feeling we’ll see the team click more going forward 2nd half of the season! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Niether should be starting imo, impact subs at best, need to raid Bournemouths striker cupboard, although Cardiff seem favourites we could give KM game time given our current injuries

Edited by wtf