IGNORED

Where is our CEO...who is he?

extonsred

3 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Can’t help feeling sorry for ST holders. Feels like fraud!

Not really buying in to that, we all expected Scott to be sold, what I hadn't appreciated was that the transfer activity was 'Plan A' and that we would have been spannered if Scott had stayed.

On the Transfer Window, quite impressed. 

Less impressed when I understand that this was a Plan A Window.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Can't say too much above what's already been said, aside from the fact that with NP here, this feels like a huge missed opportunity. And it probably wouldn't feel quite so bad if we hadn't previously massively backed other less-talented and less-proven managers. But we now have someone in as manager who has previously had a huge part in building a PL-winning squad, and we've gone and stopped the funding. Of all times, this just feels the worst.

It's SL's money, it's his prerogative. It just feels like a huge missed opportunity, that's all.

Well he can take his money and shove it up his perogative as far as I am concerned. 

And yes, I have my tin hat on.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Think a large percentage of our fan base could turn against The Lansdowns after the last few weeks. But I genuinely think Steve will continue his plan regardless of what us fans think! After all “It’s his Club and he’ll do what he wants!” ?

Your first sentence is incorrect, unfortunately. After that, you are spot on! ?

Edited by Superjack

Just now, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Think a large percentage of our fan base could turn against The Lansdowns after the last few weeks. But I genuinely think Steve will continue his plan regardless of what us fans think! After all “It’s his Club and he’ll do what he wants!” ?

No value in turning against SL.

The club is for sale. He is quite open about that, There is value in asking questions about what new investors might bring.

When the Club did a pre season in the States (games abandoned due to thunder, possibly a game against Derby?)

A lot was made about taking 'the project' to new markets.

Just don't think it should or would take this long.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The club is for sale. He is quite open about that, There is value in asking questions about what new investors might bring.

When the Club did a pre season in the States (games abandoned due to thunder, possibly a game against Derby?)

I think it was Ashton whoring himself out to his new Ipswich employers

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

That was Ashton bullshit. 

He took Ipswich to 'new markets'.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Think a large percentage of our fan base could turn against The Lansdowns after the last few weeks.

Interesting a few people have said this. I think there is very little chance of this happening. To use a political polling term, I'm confident SL's "approval rating" amongst City fans is still extremely high, probably 85%+ as a random guess.

I reckon any form of protest against him at AG would go down like a bucket of cold sick amongst fellow supporters.

For some context, after the LJ 9 game losing streak there were some planned protests against SL and LJ which were canned quite late in the day (I forget which game it was), as we were not sure they'd be well-recieved by a majority.

• Like 10

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting a few people have said this. I think there is very little chance of this happening. To use a political polling term, I'm confident SL's "approval rating" amongst City fans is still extremely high, probably 85%+ as a random guess.

I reckon any form of protest against him at AG would go down like a bucket of cold sick amongst fellow supporters.

For some context, after the LJ 9 game losing streak there were some planned protests against SL and LJ which were canned quite late in the day (I forget which game it was), as we were not sure they'd be well-recieved by a majority.

Yes, and if you are a supporter of the manager, it is a suicidal venture.

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

You’re barking up the same tree as me GC. 
This was my initial thoughts after listening too. 
But, having thought about it, it seems crystal clear that we have a very strict wage budget and we’re not budging on it. 
TGH was not in the plan. But, after the Thomason (Bolton) and Murphy (Ireland) deals broke down, perhaps this left enough in the budget to bring in TGH. 

If that’s not the case, then why did we not use the money left in the budget that we were prepared to spend on those 2? 

SL has said for 20 years that he wants the club to be able to sustain itself. Looks like he’s finally seeing through that promise!!! 
Problem with that is - no other club in this division is sustainable. So we’re behind the curve. 
If he doesn’t want to invest then he needs to get out. 

Not seen this mentioned on here but he mentioned something about if we was in the play offs in January then Lansdown may wish to go for it and open the purse. 

The baffling thing for me is that I believe we can be in the play offs around January. However 1 injury could complete change that and we could instead be struggling. Can't get me head around why we didn't get that one or two extra in to put us in a position where we can go for it in January. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The difference is way back then lansdown was chucking money after a bad horse. Best intentions and all that. It’s hard to protest at lansdown when you can see he’s spending a lot of his dough albeit in vein.  

This time around yet again he’s backing the wrong horse - a frigging unicorn in the distance… and he’s making the same mistake he’s made time and time again each and every time he meets someone who isn’t afraid to tell him how it can and should be done. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Superjack said:

That was Ashton bullshit. 

He took Ipswich to 'new markets'.

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I thought other posters had suggested American investment, might be wrong.

The owners that employed him are American aren't they , not really looking outside the box then

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Latterly, you are correct. But at the time of the Derby abandonment it was all to do with Ashton. 

To be honest, I hope for takeover rather than investment.

Wasn't he in talks with a potential buyer in April ?

The speed things go with takeovers ,there could even still be something in it. 

29 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It p***** me off that all the backing and support Lansdown gave the Johnsons and the two men (Cotterill and Pearson) who dug us out of their financial mess they left us he refused/refuses to actually support. 

He showed us his colours before in a GT interview this is 'my club' and I think there is a power struggle going on right now between the board, Lansdown and NP. 

He will only support the Managers who don't have the back bone to stand up to him and Jon, because it's 'my club and I'll do what I want' kind of attitude.

Too right and even now Lansdown has publicly said more positive words about Ashton SINCE he left than he ever has about Pearson

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

If SL wants to stop funding us fine, sell up & **** off then.

You got there Graham, at last! ???

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

His right not to spend money but football isn’t something you get into to make money. You do it from a personal pride standpoint. You are competitive and want your teams to do as well as it can under the constraints you have.

It is a slap in the face to fans to bring in between 35-40m in fees and possibly close to halving the wage bill under NP. Then turning around and saying there isn’t money to spend. We should be livid as a fanbase. The fact that he put in money doesn’t excuse his piss poor decision making year after year. 

Spot on Joe.  We should indeed.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

When you've lost @Davefevs then the writing really is on the wall. 

Haha, I’m pretty balanced / positive side of balanced on the football stuff.  But this stuff is more black and white / black and red.  It stinks of having a clueless owner, who has taken for granted what a fantastic job Nige, Richard and Tins have done in getting this club on an even(ish) keel.

And when I say Nige, I include Fleming, Euell and Mountain.

And when I say Tins, I include all those Academy staff that have helped along the way - over a longer period than Nige.

They’ve bailed SL and JL out.

The lack of gratitude is disgusting.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Or alternatively

If you’ve decided to raise the drawbridge ,which PA made absolutely quite clear he has 

And you are going to run on a strict budget , ok

Now we need a manager who can manage with a small squad , develop youngsters , and keep us competitive ........ who’s as good as it gets out there to do so at this level ............hmmmmmm

A good sensible owner making the financial decision would sit down with NP , level with him , praise the job he’s done , accept the scenario not perfect , and ask him if he would plough on .....

You got it Shelts.

49 minutes ago, One Team said:

Was just about to post the similar mate. If you’ve lost arguably the most rational, measured, well researched contributor in @Davefevs on OTIB your days are numbered. 

I think @lenred said earlier that SL may not realise the depth of feeling in the future, I think that time is now. It’s like the manager equivalent of losing the dressing room. 

If it carries on like this then it’s going to get pretty toxic and not against NP.

i think you do a great disservice to some wonderful posters on here, many I’ve picked up lots from.

40 minutes ago, Antman said:

i will say it again, (and this is something i have said for many years now.)

The reason he HAS to put money in is to bail out the problems he himself has overseen and in large part created.

Why should I be appreciative of that? He treats the whole club as his plaything/business. (remember how he asked us all for money to buy a brick / buy a share, then locked everyone out and tried to buy 100% of it?) but he is just a custodian of the club.

his faux modesty (but has bloody great name on the stand) also grates (while we're piling on :) )

Well #### him, i have my 3 shares and i'm not budging......(thats a joke BTW)

Remember the Tony Thorpe/Sorenson/ Akinbiyi adventure, Benny Lenartson anyone? SL was across all that and did the same thing then - illogical and badly placed spending, followed by relative non performance on the pitch - followed by a fire sale and a Tony effing Pulis.

he did it with Wilson, followed by Tins

and of course Johnson, followed by Holden

we have seen endless yo-yo spend/ miser seasons from SL. its depressingly familiar.

I also don't get the sense he will sell to anyone sensible, he wants a good return and that i fear, means someone with more money than sense. That Chelsea bloke anyone? (Todd whatsit) the way he has structured Bristol Sport also makes it harder IMHO

You may have underlined in, i bolded it too!

Spot on summary! ??????

39 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Haven't listened to the interview yet, but I will do, but I do have the following... 

Firstly, I will always be grateful for the money SL has thrown at the club.

Secondly, a huge amount of that money was likely lumped in the direction of the club, because people were pulling the wool over his eyes, which is a shame.

Thirdly, stepping back and having the wool pulled over your eyes means you need a trusted member of your team to represent you in all key areas, he did that with Junior. Unfortunately, Junior doesn't exude an air of competence (another poor appointment?).

Fourthly, we are (almost) on the cusp of turning the over funded, journeyman retirement home in to a mecca of youth and experience, with a manager who has reduced costs, lost his best talent and given the lack of available funds, worked wonders. His reward, no acknowledgement.

Any sale of the club isn't going to happen with an expensive manager on a 3 year deal, but make it less obvious.

Time for EVERYONE to roll the dice on what they want to do next.

Let’s hope that any new investors / owners recognise the key people in this club currently.

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Great post. 
And basically what I’ve been saying for years. SL lurches from one philosophy to another, each less and less successful and more and more expensive than the next!! 
Luton is now his desired model. 
Previous to that it was Brentford. 
Prior to that Brighton. 
Prior to that it was Swansea. 
Leicester, Southampton etc etc. you name it - if they’ve been promoted to the Prem with any semblance of a decent plan or philosophy, they’re charging up Lansdown’s pole like a rat up a drainpipe. 

I don’t think hardly anyone agrees with the way football is financed, it’s a ridiculous notion where money is pumped and pumped and pumped into overpaid players and fans are fleeced etc. 

But, it is the way it is and it ain’t gonna change anytime soon. The rules allow you to lose up to £39m over 3 seasons. 
We’ve been close to it over the last few years mainly because of a shit philosophy. 
If SL thinks he can keep up with the Joneses in this division whilst trying to be self-sustainable he’s in for a shock. 
Championship clubs with Premier ambition need to be funded as close as is possible to the allowable loss limits. 
If he doesn’t want to throw away £13m per year any more then he needs to leave and find someone who does. 

I honestly can’t believe our owner and ceo are in the camp that the Luton model is the one we need to follow. It’s very telling and very sad too. 

How many times of late have I said Lansdown is only interested in recognising the outcome, not the journey.

The Luton comment recently was as ignorant as you can get.

16 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

I think that too…unfortunately the owner will take that back-lash out on the manager.

I’m so annoyed.

• Like 7
  • Flames 5

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think you’re right. Sadly.

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Yes, and if you are a supporter of the manager, it is a suicidal venture.

I think you’re right. Sadly.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, 38MC said:

It’s hard to protest at lansdown when you can see he’s spending a lot of his dough albeit in vein.   

When he purchased a football club, what did he expect? 

I’ll answer that question actually. 
I reckon he expected to spend about £25million and get to the Prem and then allow the club to survive by itself on the large sums of money being in that league provides. 

If he came into this ownership lark thinking he wasn’t gonna have to spend a fortune, then he’s a fool. A naive one at that. 

• Like 2

Just now, Harry said:

I reckon he expected to spend about £25million and get to the Prem and then allow the club to survive by itself on the large sums of money being in that league provides. 

If he came into this ownership lark thinking he wasn’t gonna have to spend a fortune, then he’s a fool. A naive one at that. 

Oh I’m by no means in the he can plead poverty camp.  Not at all. His vanity has got us here and if he wants that stand in his name there’s an ongoing commitment commensurate with it.

I’m just saying back then I can understand protests being muted as he was putting all on red as it were, now when he’s saying ‘off to the penny slots let’s hope we pull a jackpot’ when he’s got everything in place and the manager, is soooo bloody lansdown 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

The model is broken somewhat. Just is and we all know it.

All that said I expect yes he expected promotion at some stage before now, and to have to at least reduce his contribution either through established PL football or yoyoing but always bouncing back in time.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think what most of us are confused by, is that why all of a sudden has SL decided to stop putting in so much money? 

In the past he has thrown a lot of money after bad. 

Yet here we are now with probably our best chance of taking a step forward and he decides to cut his funding. It's bizarre.

I’ve got a theory on that. 
It’s a totally unfounded and not a very pleasant theory, and I have zero evidence to support it, but it’s in my thoughts nevertheless. 

We know he wants to sell. 
We know he’s 71 years of age. 
My rather morbid theory (as I said, totally unfounded and apologies if anyone finds it distasteful in any way - it’s not intended that way at all), is that I don’t think he looks very well whenever I see him pictured. I don’t think he’s looked a picture of health for a few years actually. 
I wonder if he has an illness and just wants out asap and enjoy the rest of his years in peace. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think what most of us are confused by, is that why all of a sudden has SL decided to stop putting in so much money? 

In the past he has thrown a lot of money after bad. 

Yet here we are now with probably our best chance of taking a step forward and he decides to cut his funding. It's bizarre.

1) doesn't particularly like/rate the current manager

2) doesn't get the power and influence over footballing matters that he has enjoyed under previous managers

3) sale of the club is imminent 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's not a fortune to him, mind. It's relative peanuts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

2) doesn't get the power and influence over footballing matters that he has enjoyed under previous managers

That’s why he loved the Johnsons isn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not really buying in to that, we all expected Scott to be sold, what I hadn't appreciated was that the transfer activity was 'Plan A' and that we would have been spannered if Scott had stayed.

On the Transfer Window, quite impressed. 

Less impressed when I understand that this was a Plan A Window.

We were told a plan B without Scott. It is what it is but we are one of the most expensive clubs to watch in this league too. All we wanted was some decent cover to help us push on. Clear as day that change is afoot. Time for the owners to move on now and also not convinced at all by PA! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He wasted years on the Johnson family and trying to believe Millen, Tinnion and Holden would step up and be the next big thing. It all failed. I think the majority are over it, 20 plus years is a long time, we need change. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Well i think it's fair to say that interview went down like a sack of shit.

My take is if we stay injury free for the rest of the season then we have a chance of making the top 6.

As we all know that's not gona happen. 

it really is amazing that newly promoted Plymouth have a bigger first team squad than us.

Think he also said Luton (our owner’s new favourite comparison) had a “small squad” last season.

Utter bollocks, in 22/23 they used 30 players, it might have been a cheap one in terms of wages but it was about 8 players bigger.

• Like 5
  • Flames 4