IGNORED

Nige - BBCRB - snippet pre-Swansea

Davefevs

4 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I see zero sign that NP is off before his contract is up. Actually one of his more relaxed press conferences. Seems like he's just being himself and answering the questions asked of him. He'd like more money etc, but understands the situation. I think reading quotes form it in isolation and imaging his tone etc. is very different to how it all comes across here. 

People on OTIB making 2+2 =7, surely not? 

12 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I see zero sign that NP is off before his contract is up. Actually one of his more relaxed press conferences. Seems like he's just being himself and answering the questions asked of him. He'd like more money etc, but understands the situation. I think reading quotes form it in isolation and imaging his tone etc. is very different to how it all comes across here. 

That’s not the Radio Bristol interview where he says he cannot answer why the £25m for Scott is not being invested in the team and that they need to ask others.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Listen to it all, especially the last half-a second.

mods - please merge if need be

Is a takeover brewing here? Is that why for the first time in 10 years or so we haven’t had a SL interview for first game? Silence from new CEO. It’s all very very odd. Unless they have decided to sack Nige in the Int Break? Whatever happens if we sign nobody tomorrow as it seems then beware the backlash of the fans. In Nigel we trust and he will be the one we support! 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Listen to it all, especially the last half-a second.

mods - please merge if need be

His tone is calm and measured, his language sensible and rationale. He says the most telling thing at the end with ‘I can’t answer that.’ 

As it’s him picking the squad he will, I have no doubt, be professional, even though he has a very small squad to select from (which he prefers) 

We deserve to hear from others as to the rhetorical question at the end of the interview.

Under the current circumstances I hope he feels that he is able to manage with the players at his disposal.

When/if further injuries, suspensions, poor form impact it will likely get increasingly challenging for him and his staff.

I really, really hope he remains in post as I have total faith in him and would see a change of manager as a significant backward step and failure.

Whatever the back story maybe this is a concerning time for my Club.

By way of comparison we currently have a squad of 20 fit players according to this article and even then there are caveats https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/bristol-city-injury-update-ross-mccrorie-tommy-conway-andi-weimann-ayman-benarous-rob-atkinson-4275808 while Stoke have added 15 players in this window! 

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Is a takeover brewing here? Is that why for the first time in 10 years or so we haven’t had a SL interview for first game? Silence from new CEO. It’s all very very odd. Unless they have decided to sack Nige in the Int Break? Whatever happens if we sign nobody tomorrow as it seems then beware the backlash of the fans. In Nigel we trust and he will be the one we support! 

Trouble is sl doesn’t care if he’s supported or not, his club he can do what he wants, his words ‘ total distain for the fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me, the major thing is the lack of transparency and honesty about where we are. If Steve or Jon Lansdown, or the CEO, came out and said "we're trying to make the club sustainable and we're not going to spend money. We think our squad is good enough to finish mid-table and that's our expectation but we're not going to fund a promotion push" then, disappointing though it would be, I could respect the position.

What I can't respect is making noises about promotion being the expectation and constantly hinting at disappointment in the manager for not achieving perceived targets and leaving the manager alone to answer questions about the lack of spending. If we can't spend the Scott money for a good reason, fine, but the CEO should be fronting that decision and explaining it to the fans - not leaving the manager to take the flak. That's just shitty behaviour in any profession. 

Great post! 100% bang on 

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

Said it at the time, the whole Bristol sport thing was and is bullshit ‘ it comes across as some sort of vanity project from sl , the bloke hasn’t got a clue about football let alone anything else 

Sparkle Yes GIF by hannahgraphix

City were 1-0 up v Notts Forest a couple of seasons back  when the assistant referee put the board up with 5 added minutes to play.  City then proceed to concede 2 goals and inexplicably end up losing the game.

City are well set for the 23/24 season with 15k season tickets sold & a talented squad giving everyone huge optimism after a few years struggle.  City then proceed to sell their best player for £25m & suffer injuries to key players.  City (Lansdown) then inexplicably choose not to reinvest any of the monies or to address star boy leaving or injuries thus turning a fan base full of optimism to pessimistic supporters overnight.

Both the situations above caused me massive grief but I can forgive the first as us being naive & not deliberate but the second is sheer stupidity and spiteful to not just Nige but to everyone who follows OUR beloved reds. 

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

Just now, spudski said:

How I look at it...it is what it is. 

However...to make a Statement, us as fans should back NP and the team as much as possible. 

Backs to the wall mentality. 

Stick it up the owners arse so to speak. 

Silly state of affairs. 

If there’s a positive to come out of all this hopefully that will be it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Screams of a big Vyner bid coming in which we accept and panic to get a loan in just to cover it 

I don't want to sell Vyner I hope he renews and we build on our good points yes we have some, but if he was to be sold maybe we could get 3 loans across key positions in. Albeit like everyone else I'm sure I'd rather Vyner plus two or three additions in key positions.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

My reason for starting the thread was to show the clarity from Nige that we’ve been asking for…albeit it would be nice to hear from the owner / chairman / CEO.

It shows the budget was set for him…not by him.

It shows he doesn’t know why he hasn’t been allowed any money.

Nige is cleverly making everyone know this isn’t his choice.

He’s got it off his chest in a sensible way, hence why he comes across as relaxed.

imho.

If we had people throughout the Club that did this constantly, there would be a lot less anger aimed at the Club and owners.
Whatever the message, whether you agree or not , if you are kept aware and things are explained with a reasoned explanation, it is easier to accept things.

Nige wasn't always popular throughout the fanbase, but he seems to have grown on many that were unsure. That I put down to him being straight and honest with the fans. 

The CEO could do with doing a short interview explaining our financial strategy , it would help. Steve could come out and explain his reasoning we probably wouldn't agree, but it could stop a lot of conspiracy theories . 

• Like 7

Think we must be edging close to a take over. All beginning to add up. Silent Owner, Chairman and invisible CEO. Doesn’t look particularly positive either if the prospective new owner isn’t sanctioning spending. Unless, that is, they have the same view as some of us that the current scouting network isn’t fit for purpose. 

Feel for Nige who has kept to his brief with diplomacy and managed to keep us in the Championship despite taking on a dysfunctional first team squad and massively reducing costs. Start to the Season has been a bit ‘iffy’ though, with many of the same old issues raising their head.

Hey Ho. The hamster returns to the wheel. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't want to sell Vyner I hope he renews and we build on our good points yes we have some, but if he was to be sold maybe we could get 3 loans across key positions in. Albeit like everyone else I'm sure I'd rather Vyner plus two or three additions in key positions.

We don’t need to sell players. We have money Lansdown just doesn’t want to spend it. Vyner’s not gunna be on a massive contract which would mean if we brought someone in then they would need to be on the same amount to be within this so called ‘wage cap’

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we've just got 25m in without any spending plans, I don't understand what difference an extra 3 or 4m will make

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd sell Vyner asap. 

I have a gut feeling last season was a one off. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

If we've just got 25m in without any spending plans, I don't understand what difference an extra 3 or 4m will make

Could he the amount SL wants to put in, cash flow. £25m would be paid in instalments whereas £3-4m would be paid instantly. Anyway it's too late in the window to think about it now. Suspect we'll see no ins or outs by end of Friday.