IGNORED

Cricket season coming to a close

oldie

A couple of posts of my cricket blog recently. First up some thoughts on the season being almost over, which discusses another pretty unsuccessful season for Gloucestershire, the importance of initials, The Band being replaced by Punk Rock, and more https://rainstoppedplayinspectionat3.wordpress.com/2023/09/06/the-last-waltz/

Also an interview with author Colin Babb, who wrote the excellent 1973 and Me.the book is about the impact on a child in a West Indian family when the West Indies toured that year. It’s also about football, TV, food and so much more. Worth a look for those of a certain age.  https://rainstoppedplayinspectionat3.wordpress.com/2023/08/15/colin-babb-interview/

There are plenty of other pieces there as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed that.  My father got me into cricket and it’s my main love; something I will be forever grateful for.  This season will live long in the memory as it was his last. He passed away a couple of weeks ago.  We would regularly watch games together, especially Somerset v Glos games and he would always question how he managed to let me defect to ‘them lot’ every time we watched.  I’ve mentioned on this forum before that I coach cricket and he would be at most of my sons games, watching proudly and marvelling at how good his grandkid is.  Next season will be a hard one to get through. 

• Like 5
  • Robin 6

Sorry for your loss @And Its Smith It’s great you’ve got so many lovely cricketing memories of you and your dad and now you and your son are creating the same. 

I always get sad when it’s the end of the football or cricket season.

The cricket season especially, I suppose it’s worse because it’s a long time until we meet again, over 6 months compared to 3 for football. Plus that long 6 1/2 months are winter months.

Its even sadder when county cricket is so disjointed nowadays. Instead of long summer’s with regular catch ups at Taunton with cricketing friends, it’s now all or nothing. Too much in April when if it’s like this year isn’t the long days sat in the warm sun that you were hoping for and very little in late July and August.

Unlike @And Its Smith my dad had no interest in sport, instead it was my grandad who took me in those heady late 70’s days that got me hooked for life. He’s been gone 40 years now but I have loads of memories of Taunton, W-S-M and Bath.

Even back then I can remember thinking that even though being old wouldn’t be that nice, retirement and watching cricket all the time would be fantastic. I would say to him as I was off to school and he was off to cricket to watch Richards, Garner, Marshall, Holding and all the other best players in the world, how lucky he was.

Now as my retirement is not many seasons away, that’s pretty much all been stripped away. But it’s still my favourite sport and I’ll still enjoy what we’ve got left and I’ll still remember my grandad shouting “lovely grub” and “run em up” in the autumn of his life, which coincided with the golden days of county cricket and especially Somerset. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed that.  My father got me into cricket and it’s my main love; something I will be forever grateful for.  This season will live long in the memory as it was his last. He passed away a couple of weeks ago.  We would regularly watch games together, especially Somerset v Glos games and he would always question how he managed to let me defect to ‘them lot’ every time we watched.  I’ve mentioned on this forum before that I coach cricket and he would be at most of my sons games, watching proudly and marvelling at how good his grandkid is.  Next season will be a hard one to get through. 

So pleased that you enjoyed reading it. Sorry for your loss, though next season will be tough, I’m sure that you have lots of great memories that will pop into your head when watching games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Sorry Dave. It must be hard. But he’ll have loved watching your lad take his mantle. My dad is in his twilight so for my lad to take a wicket maiden (in a game where every other ball was a wide) was a particularly proud moment for us all. Sending Massive love your way. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I'm afraid I lost my love of going to cricket with the marginalisation of the red ball (proper cricket) to the "either ends" of the season if favour of that abortion that will not speak it's name!

But it's not just that, it's the "improvement" to my beloved Nevil Rd into a soulless concrete bowl . Gone are the days I could wander into the Jessop, wander out with a pint and pasty, pull up a garden bench, put my feet up on the boundary boards and relax.

Of course my advancing years comes with the loss of some good cricket friends who would pass the day talking about everything and nothing ........and my own failing sight doesn't help.

Inow have to be content with keeping abreast with the scores on BBC and sometimes the live streaming, but it's not the same, and of course the unadulterated crap that Glos have served up over the last few seasons haven't inspired me to make the trip.............so basically, I'm quite pleased this season is dragging to a close !

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I'm afraid I lost my love of going to cricket with the marginalisation of the red ball (proper cricket) to the "either ends" of the season if favour of that abortion that will not speak it's name!

But it's not just that, it's the "improvement" to my beloved Nevil Rd into a soulless concrete bowl . Gone are the days I could wander into the Jessop, wander out with a pint and pasty, pull up a garden bench, put my feet up on the boundary boards and relax.

Of course my advancing years comes with the loss of some good cricket friends who would pass the day talking about everything and nothing ........and my own failing sight doesn't help.

Inow have to be content with keeping abreast with the scores on BBC and sometimes the live streaming, but it's not the same, and of course the unadulterated crap that Glos have served up over the last few seasons haven't inspired me to make the trip.............so basically, I'm quite pleased this season is dragging to a close !

I don’t understand how City fans can support Glos. But each to their own ha!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I definitely fee your pain. I used to love the Jessop Tavern, singing about the chicken in the glory days of the late ‘90s or early ‘00s. I lament what we’ve become post-pandemic. During the lockdown season, under Harvey and Alleyne, we had identity and momentum. All of that was undone with the decision to dispose of them for Benkenstein. And there are parallels with City and Nige IMO. 

4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I don’t understand how City fans can support Glos. But each to their own ha!

I don’t understand how people who’ve grown up in Bristol can support a county 40+ miles away. I support my local teams - City, Glos, Bears. Simple as that. 

@And Its Smith Awful news, cherish those memories and I hope you pass on the love of cricket (Tests in particular!) to your boy. 

Edited by tin
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, tin said:

I definitely fee your pain. I used to love the Jessop Tavern, singing about the chicken in the glory days of the late ‘90s or early ‘00s. I lament what we’ve become post-pandemic. During the lockdown season, under Harvey and Alleyne, we had identity and momentum. All of that was undone with the decision to dispose of them for Benkenstein. And there are parallels with City and Nige IMO. 

I don’t understand how people who’ve grown up in Bristol can support a county 40+ miles away. I support my local teams - City, Glos, Bears. Simple as that. 

@And Its Smith Awful news, cherish those memories and I hope you pass on the love of cricket (Tests in particular!) to your boy. 

I could never understand that either................at least I was born in Gloucestershire (1951 Thornbury) not South Glos, where ever that's supposed to be !

38 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I could never understand that either................at least I was born in Gloucestershire (1951 Thornbury) not South Glos, where ever that's supposed to be !

Out of interest, why do you support City and not Rovers? Would've  been easier to get to Eastville from Thornbury, than AG? 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest, why do you support City and not Rovers? Would've  been easier to get to Eastville from Thornbury, than AG? 

And it’d be easier for you to have got to Nevil Road from Thornbury back in the day - but I won’t go there! ?

2 minutes ago, tin said:

And it’d be easier for you to have got to Nevil Road from Thornbury back in the day - but I won’t go there! ?

And Rovers for that matter!

However, I was born in Taunton and taken to Somerset by my grandad from a young age! 

As for City, that was purely cus my PE teacher at school gave us free tickets to City. Otherwise, I could well have ended up at Rovers. Lucky escape!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, if I were living in Thornbury when I started going.... I lived in Yate in the mid 60's and it was much more of an adventure for me to go to Ashton than scabby Eastville .

• Like 3

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, if I were living in Thornbury when I started going.... I lived in Yate in the mid 60's and it was much more of an adventure for me to go to Ashton than scabby Eastville .

Was the 002-pub built in Yate around that time. You could have watched it on a black and white Telly in the pub.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, oldie said:

They play in Bristol. I’m from Bristol. They are my local team. Pretty straightforward.

Also play in Cheltenham don’t they? They’re bang in the middle of the Gas area. Have players who follow the club..

14 hours ago, OutstandingMixer said:

You do realise that not all City fans live in South Bristol/Somerset?

No, really?

• Hmmm 1