IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle at home match thread

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He chucked the ball directly to one of their forwards in the first half. Fortunately, Whittaker, Hardie and Mumba hadn't come on, so there was no repercussions, but it was the worst of a number of not great moments from MOL.

I don't expect everyone to perform flawlessly - no one did, or we could've won that one 8-0 - but Max and Wells are the only two players for us I'd rate as "OK" from last night. The rest were either "good" or "great". 

All perspective I guess, but I thought his kicking was a lot less floated and to a player rather than towards . Yeah not perfect but decent, handling ok and trying to get us going quickly there is always a chance a pass will go astray. 
As for Wells I thought he was good, without the real goal threat. Chased and pressed well, his movement was good . Always gave an option never let defenders settle. Needs a goal or two though.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Watched the EFL highlights.

I counted 7 clips of our game, 4 if which were our goals, 1 was the final for Plymouth, one was Plymouth hitting  the post and the other was the great tackle by Vyner.

Anyone watching that not there, without prior knowledge would have thought it was an even game. Sure Plymouth had some chances but...

Always feels like we are a grudging after thought. Very poor replacement program for the Quest version with Colin Murray.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

All perspective I guess, but I thought his kicking was a lot less floated and to a player rather than towards . Yeah not perfect but decent, handling ok and trying to get us going quickly there is always a chance a pass will go astray. 
As for Wells I thought he was good, without the real goal threat. Chased and pressed well, his movement was good . Always gave an option never let defenders settle. Needs a goal or two though.

Always feels like we are a grudging after thought. Very poor replacement program for the Quest version with Colin Murray.

@Red-Robbo I don’t recall him throwing it straight to one of their players…can you remind me of the situation.  Maybe I blanked it from my mind.

Mike - in terms of the ball he played that ended up creating their 1v1, at the time I thought that under pressure he’d tried to make a very risky pass, but watching redzone he mis-hit it.  It doesn’t negate any criticism, but at least it wasn’t stupid more poor execution,

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Personally I prefer it. Always used to fast forward the bits in between games anyway, I don't need to know what some random ex footballer who knows nothing about us thinks.

For me, although he supports a Prem side , Murray seemed genuinely interested and fairly knowledgeable about the EFL. The new presenter , and the Co presenters come to that, almost seem to be there as they can't get a gig at the top table . I FF through a lot between games as they seem to call looking at the League Table research . 
I really don't think the highlights are as good as Quest, I used to watch a lot more of the program than I do now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Personally I prefer it. Always used to fast forward the bits in between games anyway, I don't need to know what some random ex footballer who knows nothing about us thinks.

I think that does a bit of a disservice to the ex-pros who used to work on Quest.

FWIW Ben Bloom (the Ipswich fan YouTuber) has a weekly “check-in” on Thursday’s at 7pm:

He’s got Sam Parkin as his weekly guest, and fair play to Sam, he knows his EFL / Champ.  I think he works pretty much full time in the media doing games / reviews etc, so is well clued up.  I always liked Dean Ashton too.

And as a shameless plug, I get to set each of them a bit of trivia each week for a bit of fun based on the previous round of games.  Sometimes a bit random footie stuff like “how many no9 scored last week” or even more random “name the players who scored at the weekend who share the name with Oscar Best Actor Nominees”. (Conor / Charlie Chaplin, Nahki / Orson Well(e)s)

Tune in tonight at 7pm.

I miss the bit of talking in between, but use the above YouTube hour as my equivalent.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that does a bit of a disservice to the ex-pros who used to work on Quest.

FWIW Ben Bloom (the Ipswich fan YouTuber) has a weekly “check-in” on Thursday’s at 7pm:

He’s got Sam Parkin as his weekly guest, and fair play to Sam, he knows his EFL / Champ.  I think he works pretty much full time in the media doing games / reviews etc, so is well clued up.  I always liked Dean Ashton too.

And as a shameless plug, I get to set each of them a bit of trivia each week for a bit of fun based on the previous round of games.  Sometimes a bit random footie stuff like “how many no9 scored last week” or even more random “name the players who scored at the weekend who share the name with Oscar Best Actor Nominees”. (Conor / Charlie Chaplin, Nahki / Orson Well(e)s)

Tune in tonight at 7pm.

I miss the bit of talking in between, but use the above YouTube hour as my equivalent.

Parkin was a handful as a player. Good at Swindon and a bit of a cult hero there, he knows his stuff when it comes to EFL.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Red-Robbo I don’t recall him throwing it straight to one of their players…can you remind me of the situation.  Maybe I blanked it from my mind.

Mike - in terms of the ball he played that ended up creating their 1v1, at the time I thought that under pressure he’d tried to make a very risky pass, but watching redzone he mis-hit it.  It doesn’t negate any criticism, but at least it wasn’t stupid more poor execution,

The one that Wayne ends up putting wide, it's towards 2 City players, possibly slightly misplaced. From his perspective I think he may have seen 2 City players and a little space, I would have liked him to put his foot through that one. 
I do think , with the amount of space behind their FB's his kicking wide was better than it has been. Lower & firmer giving defenders less time to chase around , and with Bell & Pring either challenging or looking for the flick, we attacked that space well. 
IMO his best game for distribution for a while, but I think we gave him more options and Plymouth made it a little easier. 

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 09.55.16.png

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The one that Wayne ends up putting wide, it's towards 2 City players, possibly slightly misplaced. From his perspective I think he may have seen 2 City players and a little space, I would have liked him to put his foot through that one. 
I do think , with the amount of space behind their FB's his kicking wide was better than it has been. Lower & firmer giving defenders less time to chase around , and with Bell & Pring either challenging or looking for the flick, we attacked that space well. 
IMO his best game for distribution for a while, but I think we gave him more options and Plymouth made it a little easier. 

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 09.55.16.png

Yeah, I think he tried to give it a bit of a “welly”, but hit a “low-hook” instead.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

About midway through the first half. Maybe he felt sorry as it was the only way they could get possession at that point.

Bloke did nothing with it. Naismith was quickly on the scene and took the ball off him. 

Max wasn't awful that game. But when so many of our players were showing their best, he was merely OK. He didn't shine, although I suppose for much of the game he didn't have much to do 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Looking back at Sykes’ goals this season, there’s more than a touch of the Tinnion to Murray about them. I wonder if this is something they are specifically looking out for during  games?

I was thinking the same. I'd have to watch again but it seems to me that key is winning the ball in the opposition's half so catching then out of shape and switching the ball quickly.

Of course if you can overload one side of the pitch and drag the opposition across then switch the ball to the other side quickly you can create space that way as well.

Sykes is good at exploiting these situations. At times it seems as if he wears an invisibility cloak so the defence don't notice he's there.?

• Admin
13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I was thinking the same. I'd have to watch again but it seems to me that key is winning the ball in the opposition's half so catching then out of shape and switching the ball quickly.

Of course if you can overload one side of the pitch and drag the opposition across then switch the ball to the other side quickly you can create space that way as well.

Sykes is good at exploiting these situations. At times it seems as if he wears an invisibility cloak so the defence don't notice he's there.?

Honestly don’t understand where their left back was on Tuesday ?

• Admin

Is it this guy jogging back on the far side after we had already been in possession on the near side?IMG_1388.jpeg

incidentally, the deepest Plymouth defender you see in the above picture, almost walks back and we end up 4 vs 1 at the point Sykes scores.

look at the space just 1 second after the above screenshot ?

IMG_1389.jpeg

Reckon their LB had popped for a comfort break or summat ?

Only 1 Plymouth player bothered to gamble on their keeper making a save! 

IMG_1390.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Honestly don’t understand where their left back was on Tuesday ?

Narrow, just to the left of Gibson, they’re CB (17) in the pic below.  He (Kesler-Hayden) jogged back in, pretty much gave in.  The player in our half was Callum Wright their LF.

36 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Is it this guy jogging back on the far side after we had already been in possession on the near side?IMG_1388.jpeg

incidentally, the deepest Plymouth defender you see in the above picture, almost walks back and we end up 4 vs 1 at the point Sykes scores.

look at the space just 1 second after the above screenshot ?

IMG_1389.jpeg

Reckon their LB had popped for a comfort break or summat ?

Only 1 Plymouth player bothered to gamble on their keeper making a save! 

IMG_1390.jpeg

Nope, see reply above to your other post.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

We do tend to set up w/o the ball a tad lopsided, for some reason teams aim GKs towards Pring (LB) and Williams (LCM/8)…which surprises me.

IMG_8737.thumb.jpeg.6793a368180683fba666113606ebeb56.jpeg

Although this is a GK from their right side of the 6 yard box, most teams going long seem to favour that side anyway so I guess in the main it’s just the natural set up.

We can see WBA’s front-3, Wallace and Thomas-Assante close together, Phillips way out on the left.

Pring has Wallace inside so he can engage Furlong if need be.

Naismith close to Thomas-Assante but marking on his outside, because he has Vyner inside.

Bell splits Furlong and Ajayi

Sykes is only concerned with Pieters and has acres outside him

Tanner only needs to be aware of Phillips because of where kick is gonna be aimed.

Knight, James and Williams happy to pick up Molumby, Yokoslu and Swift if need be.

So, a natural bias to their right, our left.

If play unfolds, say a counter, Sykes is the ball into space.  Which kinda was what happened on Tuesday, albeit it came from Wells intercepting an infield pass.