IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle at home match thread

59 minutes ago, Magicdaps said:

I have a few Plymouth supporting mates, one very good friend in particular.  Some who live in Plymouth, and some who grew up down there and moved to Bristol many years ago, including the very good friend.  To a man they were amazed at the 7 changes, and collectively feared the worst before the game once the teams were announced.  They also commented on the empty seats, especially in the South Stand.  The more locally based Plymouth fans were reassuring the others in the group that the SS would fill just before kick off as many would still be in the concourse using the bars etc. but alas, it didn't transpire, and I didn't really have much of an explanation as to why that was.

I think they'll be fine moving forward.  As others have said the 7 changes were pretty naive, and in the words of some of the above they thought Steven Schumacher had mistaken the game for a Carabao Cup tie not a "local derby" (I know peoples interpretation of a local derby in this context differs to a greater or lesser degree, their words not mine)

Midweek games have always attracted groups that play football at weekends, I’m always hearing how some would love to come as a group of 3, 4, 5 and not pay a fortune.

If only there was room for them in the South stand!

Recently, including last night they could have sat a group of 30 together no problem in there. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Spudgun said:

What is going on in the south stand with all the empty seats?

All seats are taken up in there, mainly season cards.

Lots in the lower lansdown as well, find it embarrassing to be honest.

Doesn't look good, and makes the attendance figure announced laughable.

But more importantly on the pitch City were on it from the start, albeit against a poor Janners side who were all over the place.

As soon as I seen the line up for them I fancied our chances.

Might be wrong, but I think that's where the really cheap kids tickets with a free shirt are - so lots probably buy them and their kids only have to come to a handful of games for it to be worth it.

I reckon you should be able to offer your seat back for sale to the club on a game by game basis if you want. You could get say 50% of the money if someone buys it, club get the rest. Then at least people could use them!

I also sit in the Lansdown right in front of the posh seats, and it's not unusual for a fair few people to sneak over into them as tickets often aren't checked (which I don't care about but it's annoying to have people shuffling around or in your way while the game is on) so that might be the cause of a few as well.

The South stand in particular looked a bit sad last night I thought which is a shame.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Post match Nigel Pearson spoke of fine margins and the fact we could’ve scored more.

My post match thoughts were less positive.

Firstly, I think we were very sloppy and made lots of poor decisions on the night. We certainly didn’t control the game or the ball particularly well.

Perhaps we could’ve scored more, as NP suggested, but certainly Plymouth had three gilt edge opportunities - one following Max’s sloppy clearance, then when they hit the post and at the death when ZV’s superb tackle prevented a certain goal.

Finally, I was really hacked off by two stupid yellow cards. Does anybody know if the club fine players for picking up a yellow card when they delay a free kick or throw the ball away?

In the first half Wells picked up a card for this which should’ve been more than enough warning to the rest of the players, however, in the second half Tanner joined him for the same offence. Really is not very professional. Everyone knows that referees are going to issue cards for such behaviour.

Anything positive to say?

I think the main criticism you can level at us last night is, we let the game become too open at times. We maybe could have slowed things down and filled midfield a bit more, but we were getting so many chances we kind of went with it . 
After weeks of Max getting pelters for his distribution , I thought he was good last night, really helped getting us on the front foot. Pring/Bell & Sykes /Tanner and Wells too TBF had a field day.

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Might be wrong, but I think that's where the really cheap kids tickets with a free shirt are - so lots probably buy them and their kids only have to come to a handful of games for it to be worth it.

I reckon you should be able to offer your seat back for sale to the club on a game by game basis if you want. You could get say 50% of the money if someone buys it, club get the rest. Then at least people could use them!

I also sit in the Lansdown right in front of the posh seats, and it's not unusual for a fair few people to sneak over into them as tickets often aren't checked (which I don't care about but it's annoying to have people shuffling around or in your way while the game is on) so that might be the cause of a few as well.

The South stand in particular looked a bit sad last night I thought which is a shame.

It needs sorting. It’s supposed to be our home ‘end’ and it’s always often looking sparse. 

Something needs to be done.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

For all the hype off the Plymouth fans building up to the game and there so called dislike of us were quite tame and seemed pretty friendly before and after ( obviously deflated after ) but personally myself so no flash points which I honestly expected , fair play though good numbers coming all that way up north 

39 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think you are right but imo it’s down to the fact that we either play open or cautious, we aren’t quite good enough yet to get the balance right. Last night we were open and that meant we took chances. My guess is that on Sunday we will revert to a very counter attacking game which doesn’t involve drawing Leicester on and trying to play through them starting from Max.

hope you spelt saturday wrong......

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Post match Nigel Pearson spoke of fine margins and the fact we could’ve scored more.

Firstly, I think we were very sloppy and made lots of poor decisions on the night. We certainly didn’t control the game or the ball particularly well.

Perhaps we could’ve scored more, as NP suggested, but certainly Plymouth had three gilt edge opportunities - one following Max’s sloppy clearance, then when they hit the post and at the death when ZV’s superb tackle prevented a certain goal.

Finally, I was really hacked off by two stupid yellow cards. Does anybody know if the club fine players for picking up a yellow card when they delay a free kick or throw the ball away?

In the first half Wells picked up a card for this which should’ve been more than enough warning to the rest of the players, however, in the second half Tanner joined him for the same offence. Really is not very professional. Everyone knows that referees are going to issue cards for such behaviour.

They had 2 chances at end when game was over. I think we can live with that. We controlled 95% of that game and they had nothing 2nd half whilst it was 3-1. You should be saying good performance and good win 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Yeah the players switched off a little and Plymouth got some chances but it was that type of open game and ultimately they didn't go in. Some we're just invidual error and can be learned from and others we're avoided by brilliant defending. If your going to judge that game like that you could also point to our other chances if we're applying the same logic. Sam should of scored that third early on, he had another effort that was close later on but dragged it. There was that effort from Hayden which spurred a 6 shot sustained pressure from us with every player lining up for a pop.

Feel like you have a point about the sloppiness but overly negative considering we played very forward thinking and controlled the game around their box for large periods.

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

They had 2 chances at end when game was over. I think we can live with that. We controlled 95% of that game and they had nothing 2nd half whilst it was 3-1. You should be saying good performance and good win 

They went 43 mins second half without a shot.

I thought Whittaker gave Pring a few uneasy moments when he first came on, but after that, I thought we were so in control.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They went 43 mins second half without a shot.

I thought Whittaker gave Pring a few uneasy moments when he first came on, but after that, I thought we were so in control.

God knows what game he watched - we completely controlled the game, played some lovely football and punished them for taking the piss thinking they could make 7 changes. We should have been 3 up after 10 mins if Bell puts away a relatively easy chance, plus it looks as if their goal should have been given offside. We won’t have an easier game all season. I thought we played well last night, an enjoyable evening. They couldn’t live with our energy last night. 

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 3
39 minutes ago, redkev said:

For all the hype off the Plymouth fans building up to the game and there so called dislike of us were quite tame and seemed pretty friendly before and after ( obviously deflated after ) but personally myself so no flash points which I honestly expected , fair play though good numbers coming all that way up north 

Yeah there were a few I chatted to in Hotwells before the game and they were decent enough.

There was a bit of fighting behind the Atyeo after though, including a lad that got knocked out from a punch and he was having to be put in the recovery position by people.

Police stood about 20m away doing **** all, as usual. 

29 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

About from Max’s brain fade, from which they should have scored.

Edited by Malago
13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah there were a few I chatted to in Hotwells before the game and they were decent enough.

There was a bit of fighting behind the Atyeo after though, including a lad that got knocked out from a punch and he was having to be put in the recovery position by people.

I was surprised they were allowed to walk from the Atyeo right down to the Sports Bar and mix with our fans outside without any steward asking anything. A recipe for trouble it felt like. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Police seem to love rather than preventing just pick up the pieces and nick people , didn’t see any hostility at all after and just a bit of jester in before near the rising sun , little mob of janners giving it large to a few city fans about 20 janners and 8 or 9 older city fans who didn’t back down all became bit of laughing and joking and passed off with no incident , most janners did seem pretty much ok to be honest 

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I was surprised they were allowed to walk from the Atyeo right down to the Sports Bar and mix with our fans outside without any steward asking anything. A recipe for trouble it felt like. 

When there that amount of away fans it’s hard to segregate totally unless you hold fans back which doesn’t seem to happen nowadays . Just pot luck really of who meets who ,  seen lots mixing with very little conflict which did surprise me 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think the main criticism you can level at us last night is, we let the game become too open at times. We maybe could have slowed things down and filled midfield a bit more, but we were getting so many chances we kind of went with it . 
After weeks of Max getting pelters for his distribution , I thought he was good last night, really helped getting us on the front foot. Pring/Bell & Sykes /Tanner and Wells too TBF had a field day.

He chucked the ball directly to one of their forwards in the first half. Fortunately, Whittaker, Hardie and Mumba hadn't come on, so there was no repercussions, but it was the worst of a number of not great moments from MOL.

I don't expect everyone to perform flawlessly - no one did, or we could've won that one 8-0 - but Max and Wells are the only two players for us I'd rate as "OK" from last night. The rest were either "good" or "great". 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We're same points and same GD as Hull. Are we not joint 6th? If we aren't someone explain why. 

Have they pipped us on goals scored?

Anything other than defeat from the game at Leicester will keep our momentum going. Beat them and we'll all start getting a bit giddy...