IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle at home match thread

Under the lights for our latest derby match.

Their club crest features the Mayflower the ship that carried the pilgrims to Massachusetts. The club has predominantly played in green and white throughout their history, with a few exceptions in the late 1960s and early 1970s when white was the colour of choice. A darker shade of green, described (by some) as Argyle green, was adopted in the 2001–02 season, and has been used ever since. They are the most southerly and westerly League club in England and the only professional club named Argyle.

Argyle fans are often referred to as "Janners", the unofficial nickname used to describe residents of Plymouth. Those traveling from Home Park will have a 240 mile round trip.

In July they added Manchester City academy coach Peter Cavanagh as a first-team coach. The 41-year-old, who has coached at the academies of both Everton and Liverpool, played more than 300 games across the EFL and National League.

At the start of the season their manager Steven Schumacher had this to say: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66403708

At the end of June Aston Villa's England Under-20 wing-back Kaine Kesler-Hayden joined them on a season-long loan.

They also added defender Lewis Gibson following his departure from Everton. The 22-year-old began his career in Newcastle's academy before joining the Toffees aged 17, although he did not make a first-team appearance for them. The centre-back has had spells on loan at Fleetwood, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday, and spent last season on loan at Bristol Rovers.

They signed Northern Ireland goalkeeper Conor Hazard from Celtic for an undisclosed fee.

They equalled the club's record transfer fee to sign Norwich City wing-back Bali Mumba. He agreed a four-year deal, with the Pilgrims reportedly set to pay more than £1m.

Aston Villa midfielder Finn Azaz re-joined on loan. The 22-year-old, who spent all of last season at Home Park as the Pilgrims won the League One title, agreed another season-long deal.

In early August they signed midfielder Luke Cundle on a season-long loan from Wolves. The 21-year-old made seven appearances for the Premier League side, including two top-flight starts in the 2021-22 campaign.

On deadline day they added Sierra Leone striker Mustapha Bundu from Belgian side Anderlecht. The 26-year-old, who has won 14 caps for his country, signed a two-year deal with the Pilgrims.

The Pilgrims have lost four of their last five games, in all competitions, including a 2-1 defeat to Preston last weekend. Plymouth Argyle manager Steven Schumacher said this afterwards "I felt our performance probably didn't deserve to lose the game, but we have come away from home again, played really well, caused the top-of-the-table team loads of problems and found ourselves coming away with nothing. I'm really disappointed, but I'm also proud and pleased at the players' performance because we were brave today. Even after going 1-0 down we were brave to keep playing and we were more than a game for them today."

The stats suggest that Argyle had plenty of the game, with 67% possession, 17 shots (7 on target) and 14 corners.

They currently occupy 13th place with seven points.

Head-to-head record

Won: 26

Lost: 23

Drawn: 13

We recorded a 3-1 win in our last league game against them in October 2009 at Ashton Gate.

Yannick Bolasie played for both clubs, as well as Barnet, Crystal Palace, Everton and Aston Villa. In 2018 Zak Vyner had a loan spell with them where he featured 17 times.

Others who have represented both clubs include Kieran Agard, Paul Anderson, Ian Baird, Tyreeq Bakinson, Andre Blackman, Joe Bryan, Arnold Garita, Rene Gilmartin, Joe Lennox, Guy Madjo, Sean McCarthy, Alan Miller, Kevin Nugent, Karleigh Osborne, Scott Partridge, Bobby Reid, Gary Sawyer, Steven Sessegnon, Enoch Showunmi, Phil Starbuck, Ryan Taylor,  Trevor Jacobs, Keith Fear, Forbes Phillipson-Masters and Robbie Turner.

Officials

Referee: Matthew Donohue. So far this season he has issued 29 yellow cards in five games. Assistants: Andrew Fox and Greg Read Fourth Official: Andy Davies.

The game is on the red button.

IMG_3729.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Be interesting to see who NP might rest with big game Saturday. Can see Roberts for Pring, Cornick for Wells, and Bell rested not sure who for. Felt Wells although good game against WBA looked slow on the turn and a bit just not his normal self. Would like to see more of Roberts he adds an interesting attack dimension. And I do feel Cornick down the middle although not pretty is a bloody awkward player to mark and adds something. Although I am not totally convinced by him yet. And I do feel squad rotation and rest within the squad is essential over the season.  Hoping for a first home win. As I lived in Plymouth for bit years back I do love to see us roll them Janners over.

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
Because I can
  • Like 1

I just want us to see ‘pop ‘ on the OTIB match thread at the end.

We should have enough to beat them if we are ‘on it’ . If we have any aspirations of top six then we need to be beating a side who will most probably go straight back down. 

5 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

I thought they hated the gas like us, , 

No, everyone loves the Gas don’t you know ? 

• Like 1

It's a bigger game for Plymouth than it is for us. They only have Exeter in close proximity whereas we have Rovers, Cardiff, Swindon, Swansea all much closer and them matches are much more meaningful than Plymouth will be.

The only time they have recently become very relevant to us in my time supporting City was in 2004 - late noughties imo when they got promoted to the Championship. 

I am glad they are back up here anyway as they create an atmosphere and they have a character to their club. I still prefer Exeter & Torquay though.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Under the lights for our latest derby match.

Their club crest features the Mayflower the ship that carried the pilgrims to Massachusetts. The club has predominantly played in green and white throughout their history, with a few exceptions in the late 1960s and early 1970s when white was the colour of choice. A darker shade of green, described (by some) as Argyle green, was adopted in the 2001–02 season, and has been used ever since. They are the most southerly and westerly League club in England and the only professional club named Argyle.

Argyle fans are often referred to as "Janners", the unofficial nickname used to describe residents of Plymouth. Those traveling from Home Park will have a 240 mile round trip.

In July they added Manchester City academy coach Peter Cavanagh as a first-team coach. The 41-year-old, who has coached at the academies of both Everton and Liverpool, played more than 300 games across the EFL and National League.

At the start of the season their manager Steven Schumacher had this to say: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66403708

At the end of June Aston Villa's England Under-20 wing-back Kaine Kesler-Hayden joined them on a season-long loan.

They also added defender Lewis Gibson following his departure from Everton. The 22-year-old began his career in Newcastle's academy before joining the Toffees aged 17, although he did not make a first-team appearance for them. The centre-back has had spells on loan at Fleetwood, Reading and Sheffield Wednesday, and spent last season on loan at Bristol Rovers.

They signed Northern Ireland goalkeeper Conor Hazard from Celtic for an undisclosed fee.

They equalled the club's record transfer fee to sign Norwich City wing-back Bali Mumba. He agreed a four-year deal, with the Pilgrims reportedly set to pay more than £1m.

Aston Villa midfielder Finn Azaz re-joined on loan. The 22-year-old, who spent all of last season at Home Park as the Pilgrims won the League One title, agreed another season-long deal.

In early August they signed midfielder Luke Cundle on a season-long loan from Wolves. The 21-year-old made seven appearances for the Premier League side, including two top-flight starts in the 2021-22 campaign.

On deadline day they added Sierra Leone striker Mustapha Bundu from Belgian side Anderlecht. The 26-year-old, who has won 14 caps for his country, signed a two-year deal with the Pilgrims.

The Pilgrims have lost four of their last five games, in all competitions, including a 2-1 defeat to Preston last weekend. Plymouth Argyle manager Steven Schumacher said this afterwards "I felt our performance probably didn't deserve to lose the game, but we have come away from home again, played really well, caused the top-of-the-table team loads of problems and found ourselves coming away with nothing. I'm really disappointed, but I'm also proud and pleased at the players' performance because we were brave today. Even after going 1-0 down we were brave to keep playing and we were more than a game for them today."

The stats suggest that Argyle had plenty of the game, with 67% possession, 17 shots (7 on target) and 14 corners.

They currently occupy 13th place with seven points.

Head-to-head record

Won: 26

Lost: 23

Drawn: 13

We recorded a 3-1 win in our last league game against them in October 2009 at Ashton Gate.

Yannick Bolasie played for both clubs, as well as Barnet, Crystal Palace, Everton and Aston Villa. In 2018 Zak Vyner had a loan spell with them where he featured 17 times.

Others who have represented both clubs include Kieran Agard, Paul Anderson, Ian Baird, Tyreeq Bakinson, Andre Blackman, Joe Bryan, Arnold Garita, Rene Gilmartin, Joe Lennox, Guy Madjo, Sean McCarthy, Alan Miller, Kevin Nugent, Karleigh Osborne, Scott Partridge, Bobby Reid, Gary Sawyer, Steven Sessegnon, Enoch Showunmi, Phil Starbuck, Ryan Taylor,  Trevor Jacobs, Keith Fear, Forbes Phillipson-Masters and Robbie Turner.

Officials

Referee: Matthew Donohue. So far this season he has issued 29 yellow cards in five games. Assistants: Andrew Fox and Greg Read Fourth Official: Andy Davies.

The game is on the red button.

IMG_3729.jpeg

Fun facts: 

Janner was originally an 18th and early 19th century seafarer's term of contempt for non-nautical people who lived in ports (literally "Johns"). In other places this has died out, but with Plymouth stuck in the past it's still used there and adopted as a badge of pride.

Although the club nickname themselves "the Pilgrims" no Pilgrim, or any other passenger on the Mayflower, came from Plymouth. One, Francis Eaton, did come from Bristol however. 

• Like 2

Should be another 22k tickets sold, the away support so far has been excellent in terms of numbers.

Hopefully a good atmosphere under the lights and hopefully three points.

They've played three away, drawn one (Watford 0-0) and lost two (Birmingham 1-2, PNE 1-2) and scored in every game bar Watford (9 for 7 against).

Can't see this being a 0-0 (but I said that re WBA).

Wouldn't be surprised if its a desmond, but hoping for a 2-1 win.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Fun facts: 

Janner was originally an 18th and early 19th century seafarer's term of contempt for non-nautical people who lived in ports (literally "Johns"). In other places this has died out, but with Plymouth stuck in the past it's still used there and adopted as a badge of pride.

Although the club nickname themselves "the Pilgrims" no Pilgrim, or any other passenger on the Mayflower, came from Plymouth. One, Francis Eaton, did come from Bristol however. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/2009/08/review_of_the_week_33.html

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Might just be me. But South West derby. Not for me, there is a 120 mile gap. Birmingham is closer 

But should be a good game. Good following for Argyle 

Birmingham is not in the south west though.

Derby refers not just to local rivals but geographical area. 

They’re no bigger rivals to us than Birmingham though. IMO

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Both West Country teams, albeit the distance from Bristol to Plymouth is practically the same as Bristol to Millwall! 

***************************************POP*****************************************

Exactly.  Championship clubs that are closer than Plymouth: Cardiff, Swansea, WBA, Brum, Southampton, Coventry, QPR and as you say at a push Millwall and possibly Watford.