IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle at home match thread

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't see it being a thrashing, 2-1 us wouldn't surprise me.

Plymouth have been in every game this season for one.

We’ve scored 5 & conceded 5 in 6 games, only 4 when we’ve had 11 men on the pitch.

Absolutely nothing to indicate this will be other than tight.

• Like 1

If we actually see two good halves of football from City at home, that'll be a major turning point for City this season. I was cheered to see 45 minutes of flowing, attacking football on Saturday from us. We just need to keep it up for a whole game, as we do apparently when on the road.

Maybe we should dress in our away kit and get changed in the visitors' dressing room?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Their underlying data says they should’ve conceded several more than they have!

Thanks. Just checked a site- seems to be that they both allow and make chances. Shots. Yeah they could have conceded a few more for sure.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We’ve scored 5 & conceded 5 in 6 games, only 4 when we’ve had 11 men on the pitch.

Absolutely nothing to indicate this will be other than tight.

I reckon tight but open if that makes sense. As in not a dull tight game but barring I dunno an early red card, early penalty etc relatively evenly matched.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Would we be taking 3400 to plymouth on a night game?... 

Yes, if they gave us that many being as we haven't played down there for over ten years we would sell out, i'm not denying their support is good but the 2600 they took to PNE this season will be down to 1300 next season., the novelty soon wears off, interesting that a couple of years ago when they weren't doing so well in the 3rd/4th division their home crowds were down to 7000

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Our eternally misplaced optimism...?

You’ll know from my posts I’m a big Nige fan, but I look at our side (until injuries to Atkinson, Conway & Weimann abate, the best 11 we have) & just cannot see where the goals will come from.

Back four doesn’t have a likely scorer, don’t see any of the 3 in midfield getting more than a couple this season & up top Wells is in a bit of a drought, Sykes is probably good for 6 or 7, Bell maybe a few more than that.

That’s why we need to keep games tight, look to edge it on small margins.

I realise Weimann might well be back tonight & although he’s never scoring 22 in a season again that will help, but we’ll need to be cautious with him after his start to the season in terms of injury.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No. This is the common mistake people always make. 

Newly promoted clubs that haven't been in this division for a very long time will always have big away attendences to begin with. It's like cup finals to them. We were the same. 

If they spend 5 years in this division then they won't be taking over 2k to Preston away. 

We're taking a similar number to Leicester because for us, we've not played there for quite a while. 

If Plymouth gave us 3400 tickets this season then we'd sell out because like with the Leicester game, we've not played a league game there for a while. 

True that, didn't we average getting on for 2,000 away in GJ's play-off season? 

After so many years in the third tier, I think a lot of us were tempted to travel far more than normal, which is understandable and natural behaviour whoever you support. 

1 minute ago, City Rocker said:

True that, didn't we average getting on for 2,000 away in GJ's play-off season? 

After so many years in the third tier, I think a lot of us were tempted to travel far more than normal, which is understandable and natural behaviour whoever you support. 

I pretty much went to every away game that season. Our support was fantastic that season. Think we may have even sold out at Norwich away. 

Now that the novelty has wore off I've not been to an away game since FGR in the cup. 

@petehinton

Atyeo holds 4.2k or thereabouts but I believe the max we can sell is 3.4k for security reasons. Maybe post Swansea February 2019 or is it club led?

Would be interesting to know how this compares to other clubs, how the security considerations impact upon their ability to sell tickets.

Man City allocation was around 3.4k in February iirc.

Now I don't want a 4k capacity for away fans, or the entire Atyeo but I wonder whether this is excessive and can be challenged legally or at SAG meetings if it has been imposed on the club.

The other aspect is that if we can only sell 3.4k, 3.5k at an absolute push in that stand it restricts us if we ever put some home fans in the Atyeo.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Admin
25 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Yes, if they gave us that many being as we haven't played down there for over ten years we would sell out, i'm not denying their support is good but the 2600 they took to PNE this season will be down to 1300 next season., the novelty soon wears off, interesting that a couple of years ago when they weren't doing so well in the 3rd/4th division their home crowds were down to 7000

Let's not forget there was a lot of niggle on that fixture from what happened with Ryan Lowe and who stayed behind

Argyle have been waiting for that fixture for a very long time

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks. Just checked a site- seems to be that they both allow and make chances. Shots. Yeah they could have conceded a few more for sure.

I reckon tight but open if that makes sense. As in not a dull tight game but barring I dunno an early red card, early penalty etc relatively evenly matched.

image.thumb.png.9baf715bd71aea4e524d56f1f6d70872.png

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not feeling as optimistic tonight, but looking forward to it. 

3,400 must be the whole Atyeo then, so no more segregation/lining at the bottom of it as we’ve seen? WBA had seats there too, thouhjt it was a security risk…

Could get lively and expecting to have another away crowd noise drowning us out tbh. 

Smart tactic- get the players to think we’re the away side..

40 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Totally agree , when we got to the championship we were selling or taking much more than we do now to most grounds , like you say though the no ally does wear off ( unless hardcore ) mind you this season our away support has been excellent so far and will be again Saturday at Leicester ( not as good as rovers mind ?)

48 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Agreed.. first time back in the 2nd tier for years so will be interesting to see where they are in a season or two as think they should be alright this year from what I've seen. 

Also think about where Plymouth is.. In recent years where Yeovil and Torquay have fallen away, they have only had Exeter City anywhere near them. Their fans must be thrilled that they have an away day that isn't crazy far away. At least from Bristol we have the 2 Welsh clubs, any Midlands clubs up the M5, and London clubs a couple hours across the M4. Plymouth is over 2 hours from Bristol before going onto anywhere else so fair play to the numbers they've taken this year so far.

That being said I grew up in Devon and can't stand Plymouth so hopefully we batter them tonight. Going 6-0, Harry Cornick to get all 6.

Edited by Not Banksy
56 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Would be lovely to thrash them. Ultimately if we win, I don't really care how, but we're really not a team for handing out a pasting. I'd imagine we're well below the league average for wins by a 3+ margin over the past few years, our games are almost always tight.

Out of curiosity overall just how many Championship games are won by three goal margins ? 
I would imagine it’s very few view the competitive nature of the division where anyone can beat anyone. 

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We will be . Without a shadow of a doubt. An away ‘ crowd ‘ of just three people would sound louder than the rest of the Gate together thanks to wonderful acoustics of the stand we’ve given them. 
:ranting:

Didn't hear West Brom that much Saturday tbh.

Acoustics of the Atyeo are moderate IMO. Certainly inferior to the East End pre redevelopment.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Out of curiosity overall just how many Championship games are won by three goal margins ? 
I would imagine it’s very few view the competitive nature of the division where anyone can beat anyone. 

I've no idea to be fair. 4 so far this month though, including a 5-0, so they do happen.