IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle at home match thread

3 hours ago, awbb said:

Plymouth absolutely remind me of us in 2015/16.

Said the same to the guy who sits next to me….attacking pace, bombscare at the back.

3 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Cam Pring has a bit of the Stef Steinbrenners of the goonies about him with wet hair. 

Nah, he’s Howard Moon from The Mighty Boosh.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The numbers are starting to stack up.

They are.  I said pre-game (to @Mr Popodopolous) that I thought Plymouth’s defensive numbers were flattering, and that turned out to be the case.

They transition incredibly fast, KKH overlaps / underlaps is fully committed, but they leave big holes, and are very square.

They swapped Edwards to RB and KKH to LB after 16 mins, to no avail.  I think they thought Edwards would deal with Sycho and KKH could deal with Bell’s pace, but they couldn’t.

Thought Whittaker gave us 5-10 mins of sorry second half.  Bell not really helping Pring, but Pring not helping himself by not being close enough.  Once they sorted that, the threat was gone.

Would’ve preferred us not to have given up those couple of Hardie (good player) chances late on, but at 4-1 you can excuse a bit of switch off late on.

Subs managed well.  Brave in some ways, and I like the Pring / Roberts axis late on (Cole / Bridge Japan World Cup vibes).

Delighted for Cornick, but also thought he really showed the Luton Cornick tonight, an annoying opponent.

Happy as **** tonight.

Only real disappointment is Wells not getting on scoresheet, he is playing really well.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Ian M said:

Last season it started to fall apart when injuries started piling up, this season it seems to be in spite of a fair number of injuries and we hopefully have players returning in the coming weeks. Imagine what our options will look like with Atkinson, Weimann and Conway back :) 

I think the defining factor for me is we look another year wiser, both in personnel and set up. When those players are back there will be other injuries, you’d think, so we can’t imagine we’ll have ever really have a fully fit squad to pick from.

Sounds odd - and maybe not relevant to this squad - but honestly, a fully fit squad with a plethora of options often seems to cause more issues than it solves here. We’ve got a great rhythm right now. 

You were quite right @Davefevs @ExiledAjax

I thought it would be open and it was but moreover just great to watch. The margin surprised me a bit, had Plymouth not made 7 changes it maybe would have been closer but a strong win- icing on the cake would have been a Wells goal.

After the early goal we got some space and we certainly enjoyed it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Really eventful match with talking points aplenty - but a couple of ropey defensive moments aside we absolutely schooled them. Bell and Sykes continue to look like top-end Championship wingers, and tonight we finally turned all that xG into a goal-fest. 

How satisfying is it to play a recently promoted team and really make them look like one! Well done Nige and the boys. Excellent night ?⚪

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Absolutely brilliant last night. Loved it. We are becoming a very good side. 

agree, brilliant evening! - only doomer was different (or perhaps indifferent) security on the winterstoke car park after the match - gate kept closed far too long - asked security what the problem was and he said there was no problem! - took me an eternity to get out - nothing seemed to move until long after the fans on foot were gone and I was on Coronation Road in less than 5 minutes once I got past KFC so traffic was not the problem!

Now I can finally get into OTIB I'll post my reflection on the game.

It looked like a Championship side vs League 1. I will echo the sentiments in that they did remind me of us from 2015/16. I said this multiple times last night. 

We pressed superbly, and took our chances brilliantly. It's great to see we put them to the sword pretty quickly and efficently as Plymouth were poor. 

When we play at our best we are a very good and dangerous side.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Now I can finally get into OTIB I'll post my reflection on the game.

It looked like a Championship side vs League 1. I will echo the sentiments in that they did remind me of us from 2015/16. I said this multiple times last night. 

We pressed superbly, and took our chances brilliantly. It's great to see we put them to the sword pretty quickly and efficently as Plymouth were poor. 

When we play at our best we are a very good and dangerous side.

Was talking to a Plymouth fan at work today. 

He said that the press and how we took our chances are a major difference to league 1.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

Was talking to a Plymouth fan at work today. 

He said that the press and how we took our chances are a major difference to league 1.

League 1 sides cannot keep up the intensity of the press as much as Championship teams can. Totally naive from their Manager to make 7 changes and still try play out from the back against us. Never mind though ?

• Like 5

Chatting to Plymouth fan at work today, he could not understand the number of changes they made. That totally backfired for them. There should have been no concern over fatigue given it was only second game back after the international break. And they had played well at Preston despite losing. In that context, the 7 changes were perplexing. 
From a City perspective though, what a night! Took my son along and he’s never seen us take a team apart like this and he commented it was the best atmosphere in ages. Great display of attacking intent and desire from every single player. COYR

4 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Missed the opening goal because of the queue 

Did Bell get official credit for it as my mate said it was a OG on his app?

It was given to Bell despite what the sky sports app said at the time! Was going in before the deflection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was great to see Knight at his best, I knew he had looked decent away from home, but he caused Plymouth all sorts of problems in the first half last night. Seemed to be able to rob them at will.

And it would be remiss not to mention, that was the Cornick we hoped to see, but haven't always. Apart from the goal putting matters way out of the pasty munchers' reach, he had a positive effect on our forward momentum as soon as he came on. Great stuff.

Not going to dispute James's MOTM selection, but thought Zak and Kal were generally excellent as well.  Vyner's tackle on Hardie was something all defenders should study. 

• Like 7