IGNORED

Leicester - pre-match interviews

Davefevs

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

When Pearson came here it was said that this was a 3 year project and that by the end of it we would like to be challenging for the top 6. 

And that is key…by the end of this season (the end of his 3 year contract) I think we will be exactly that.  He needs year 4 (and 5) to then deliver.

(assumes we don’t do it this season)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark_LCFC said:

It’s exactly what he did here and you all saw the result. I firmly believe that put him in any era that gives managers longer and puts less emphasis on media perception, and his name would fit naturally in the list of managers you mentioned to more than just us. Delighted that he’s found a club that’s giving him the opportunity to do it again.

I have many mates of other football teams and they are totally baffled as to why we hold Nige in such high esteem. They look at it in a very simplistic form by just looking at our positions in the league the past two years. They often say he is a dinosaur and that his style of football is boring to watch. 

They often question, if he is held in such high esteem, why he is not linked to other jobs and my response is that its very rare to have a club that is willing to invest in a project. It's all about the short term these days, so therefore the pool of clubs is very limited. 

Whilst it's not been easy here, the majority have shown patient because we can see what Nige is doing. The difference is night and day. Our club has never been so well run and professional on the footballing side as it is under Nige. 

Bizarrely other clubs fans expected Nige to install a culture, work ethic etc etc etc over night here. That kinda proves my point that there are very few clubs where Nige could undertake a project. 

What Nige has done here, kinda has that Sir Alex Ferguson feel to it. He's big on having the right players, the right culture, the right values with a good blend of youth and experience. At Man Utd Sir Alex Ferguson allowed players such as Keane etc to drive the culture and standards and that's very much like what Pearson is doing here (at a lower level of course) 

Whilst there is still a way to go, I kind of get the feeling that from a Bristol City perspective, something very special is about to happen. 

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And that is key…by the end of this season (the end of his 3 year contract) I think we will be exactly that.  He needs year 4 (and 5) to then deliver.

(assumes we don’t do it this season)

I think so too. 

I think this season it may be a little too soon to be talking about promotion, but get into those play offs and who knows...

But I don't want us to drag this out. Just get it signed so then we can continue with the forward planning. 

He has more than earned the right to be given the opportunity of years 4 and 5 to deliver in my opinion. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But I don't want us to drag this out. Just get it signed so then we can continue with the forward planning. 

He has more than earned the right to be given the opportunity of years 4 and 5 to deliver in my opinion. 

Re his contract, I don’t particular think he needs to get it signed now…AS LONG AS the intention is to offer him a new / extended deal.

But if the powers that be are deliberating the pros and cons, or worse still, thinking of letting if run out, then they are a bunch of ducking arseholes.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re his contract, I don’t particular think he needs to get it signed now…AS LONG AS the intention is to offer him a new / extended deal.

But if the powers that be are deliberating the pros and cons, or worse still, thinking of letting if run out, then they are a bunch of ducking arseholes.

If the intention is there, and that's been communicated to him (by whoever is Nigels day to day boss) then I've no problem with that. 

My comments are more to do with how can Nigel plan for the future here, when Nigels future seems to be undecided by the club? 

SL has rightfully come in for a lot of criticism recently. There is a growing sense of frustration in the fanbase about the contract situation so SL should just get it done to take away those frustrations. 

Literally no one was asking for LJ to be handed a new contract and SL gave him one (when it wasn't needed) so it's baffling how he goes from one extreme to the next. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I have many mates of other football teams and they are totally baffled as to why we hold Nige in such high esteem. They look at it in a very simplistic form by just looking at our positions in the league the past two years. They often say he is a dinosaur and that his style of football is boring to watch. 

I've had the same. I think it's a case that they don't really understand the comings and goings of BCFC over the last 30 years so they're a little bit tunnel visioned as to what is happening. They see the results only and not looking any further than the bigger picture.

It's either that or they are purposefully being obtuse about it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If the intention is there, and that's been communicated to him (by whoever is Nigels day to day boss) then I've no problem with that. 

My comments are more to do with how can Nigel plan for the future here, when Nigels future seems to be undecided by the club? 

SL has rightfully come in for a lot of criticism recently. There is a growing sense of frustration in the fanbase about the contract situation so SL should just get it done to take away those frustrations. 

Literally no one was asking for LJ to be handed a new contract and SL gave him one (when it wasn't needed) so it's baffling how he goes from one extreme to the next. 

Must be awkward, when he’s talking to potential signings,they must be asking whether he’s here for the long term.

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I've had the same. I think it's a case that they don't really understand the comings and goings of BCFC over the last 30 years so they're a little bit tunnel visioned as to what is happening. They see the results only and not looking any further than the bigger picture.

It's either that or they are purposefully being obtuse about it.

I've had conversations with them all about how Nige has had to cut the wage budget, get rid of wasters, sell his best players and bring through youth whilst having little to no money to spend and their response is always "same old little Bristol City, always settling for mediocrity" 

Tried to explain to them about the culture Nige has installed here (which is ongoing) I spoke to them about how last season, our performances were actually quite consistent and that's all part of what Nige is building here. 

I think for my Coventry mates, they just hate Nige because of what he did for Leicester. Coventry fans absolutely point blank refuse to accept the role Nige played in Leicester winning the premier league.

They actually consider Mark Robins to be a better manager than Pearson. The one thing I can never get my head around is that when you ask them if Mark Robins is under pressure, they reply, no because there has been a high turnover of players and they need time to gel. I point out that after being in charge for 6/7 years, his team shouldn't need to gel. It's bad management if it got to the point where he allowed there to be a high turnover of players in one go.

Robins and Coventry risked everything on going up last season. They then went and spent 25 million on players which doesn't seem to fit any plan. You wouldn't see Pearson risking everything here for one shot at promotion. 

I think the reality is that fans of other clubs can see what Pearson is doing here and that they are terrified that "little Bristol City" are going to set off into the sunset and leave them behind.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Must be awkward, when he’s talking to potential signings,they must be asking whether he’s here for the long term.

I think this becomes more of an issue in January. Not that the board will give him any money tho. 

But pretty soon we will be at the point of finalising our targets and begin speaking to their clubs and agents about potentially deals. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've had conversations with them all about how Nige has had to cut the wage budget, get rid of wasters, sell his best players and bring through youth whilst having little to no money to spend and their response is always "same old little Bristol City, always settling for mediocrity" 

Tried to explain to them about the culture Nige has installed here (which is ongoing) I spoke to them about how last season, our performances were actually quite consistent and that's all part of what Nige is building here. 

I think for my Coventry mates, they just hate Nige because of what he did for Leicester. Coventry fans absolutely point blank refuse to accept the role Nige played in Leicester winning the premier league.

They actually consider Mark Robins to be a better manager than Pearson. The one thing I can never get my head around is that when you ask them if Mark Robins is under pressure, they reply, no because there has been a high turnover of players and they need time to gel. I point out that after being in charge for 6/7 years, his team shouldn't need to gel. It's bad management if it got to the point where he allowed there to be a high turnover of players in one go.

Robins and Coventry risked everything on going up last season. They then went and spent 25 million on players which doesn't seem to fit any plan. You wouldn't see Pearson risking everything here for one shot at promotion. 

I think the reality is that fans of other clubs can see what Pearson is doing here and that they are terrified that "little Bristol City" are going to set off into the sunset and leave them behind.

Best off not mentioning it. I've banged my head up against the wall defending Pearson's time here on this forum and to friends who are not City fans. Some have their own agenda against the Man since we signed Danny Simpson and some are fans who just see 'results only' and never look further than the bigger picture. 

The club was a shambles on and off the pitch when he took over. If it wasn't for the work of Pearson, his coaching staff, Tinnion and Gould then we wouldn't be a steady ship right now. It is time for the ownership to also get on board with what is going on.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If this happens Dave , and they let Pearson go or get rid , I will say , without question , it will be IMHO the worst footballing decision made by the club in my lifetime 

That would be quite a feat 

Listening to all Lansdowns wants and wishes over the years you would think that he would be bending over backwards to keep NP happy 

Clearly ego and unable to deal with strong characters is an issue though.

Its good to see the Pearson doubters and outers,  have gone silent , and the fan base seems increasingly pleased with Pearson and the actual job he’s doing , (And has been from Day 1 as we’d agree) and I think the Lansdowns will find it very very uncomfortable should they lose or push Pearson

Personally I think he’s done a absolutely superb job , edging on the ‘remarkable’ , all things considered

And when I say ‘he’ , as he was the first to point out , I’d include Dave Rennie in particular , the coaching staff and some key players he brought in like King and James to develop the attitude and culture. I love how he slides praise for him in others directions , and I bet his players and staff recognise and appreciate that.

There also appear to be a large number of staff who were here when Pearson arrived who , fair play , have bought into the culture , and that’s testimony to a) the philosophies  b) The ability at management leverl to foster and implement them 

An absolute joy to listen and watch him and how he Manages

The way Leicester fans in their droves spoke about him when he came here spoke volumes,  literally in their number and consistent messages , and praise , and........remember the repeated messages written by Barnsley fans about LJ .......

Fans as a consensus are normally a decent guide , especially when there is repeated highlighting and explanation , of why their opinion on certain aspects

Boy we are lucky to have him 

Considering what appears to be the culture developing across the Club ,on the football front at least , Pound for pound in the conversation for the best manager we’ve had in my years for the job to date alone

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 7
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

If this happens Dave , and they let Pearson go or get rid , I will say , without question , it will be IMHO the worst footballing decision made by the club in my lifetime 

That would be quite a feat 

Listening to all Lansdowns wants and wishes over the years you would think that he would be bending over backwards to keep NP happy 

Clearly ego and unable to deal with strong characters is an issue though.

Its good to see the Pearson otters have gone silent , and the fan base seems increasingly pleased with Pearson and the actual job he’s doing , (And has been from Day 1 as we’d agree) and I think the Lansdowns will find it very uncomfortable should they lose or push Pearson

Personally I think he’s done a absolutely superb job , edging on the ‘remarkable’ , all things considered

And when I say ‘he’ , as he was the first to point out , I’d include Dave Rennie in particular , the coaching staff and some key players he brought in like King and James to develop the attitude and culture. I love how he slides praise for him in others directions , and I bet his players and staff recognise and appreciate that.

There also appear to be a large number of staff who were here when Pearson arrived who , fair play , have bought into the culture , and that’s testimony to a) the philosophies  b) The ability at management leverl to foster and implement them 

An absolute joy to listen and watch him and how he Manages

The way Leicester fans in their droves spoke about him when he came here spoke volumes,  literally in their number and consistent messages , and praise , repeated messages written by Barnsley fans about LJ .......

Fans as a consensus are normally a decent guide , especially when there are is highlighting of why their opinion on certain aspects

Boy we are lucky to have him 

If SL came out today and said we will not be offering NP a new contract, I would probably cancel my ST direct debit. 

There is something very bizarre with SL at times. He often likes to hit the self destruct button.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Its good to see the Pearson otters have gone silent , and the fan base seems increasingly pleased with Pearson and the actual job he’s doing , (And has been from Day 1 as we’d agree) and I think the Lansdowns will find it very uncomfortable should they lose or push Pearson

Because we are 6th in the table and the majority of fans form their opinions based upon the table.

31 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Fans as a consensus are normally a decent guide

Really? Really? It's only 9 months since this thread in which 56% of the fans on here voted to sack him. We were 18th on the day this thread was started. Read the thread, plenty who are of a "consensus" that he'd lost the dressing room/lost his ability/wasn't the man to take us forward etc. Not my view, and plenty who fought back, but the "consensus" was to wave goodbye to Pearson.

Fans are human and humans tend quite often to be fickle, stupid, and short-sighted.

Nige has done a lovely little interview here, and we are playing well. He's been asked some interesting questions and has kind of answered them and kind of gone off on some interesting tangents. If he implements everything he describes then sure he's doing well. But if you seriously think this thread would exist and this interview would be as lauded as it is if we were 15th or lower then you're kidding yourself imo.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Couple of thoughts:

NP looks very physically well, and mentally relaxed

He has outlined his vision of City moving forward, and gives every impression that he wants to be a continuing part of this evolution.

It would be criminal - madness - to not extent NP for another year / 18 months

Do it now, and let him continue his work, without the worry that he won't be here to see the final outcome.

@Davefevs

NP mentioned specifically that 'age wasn't a barrier' to any player who has 'the right qualities' and specifically mentioned players in their thirties. he also mentioned the squad was 'threadbare'.

Did you get the impression NP has a free agent / OOC player of that age, who he would like to bring in, but is waiting for financial approval from SL, and this was his way of applying some subtle pressure to get this done?

It certainly seemed like a mild 'shot across the bows' to me.

Thoughts?

Yes like  your thinking

a well sourced OOC signing or two would certainly strengthen things up on the field 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Best off not mentioning it. I've banged my head up against the wall defending Pearson's time here on this forum and to friends who are not City fans. Some have their own agenda against the Man since we signed Danny Simpson and some are fans who just see 'results only' and never look further than the bigger picture. 

The club was a shambles on and off the pitch when he took over. If it wasn't for the work of Pearson, his coaching staff, Tinnion and Gould then we wouldn't be a steady ship right now. It is time for the ownership to also get on board with what is going on.

The Danny Simpson signing seemed to be a real defining point for some City fans to put their blinkers on and be negative about Nige.  And that was early on, so they’ve just ignored everything since, still quoting things like win percentage to justify their reasons.

I make no apologies for showing a graph (again):

image.thumb.png.4fb60df5d0efd2967316a669b1e2b56c.png

To make continued progress (the high level view, no need to really delve deeper) with very little boom and bust periods against the constraints we’ve had to operate under is a helluva effort.

Any small runs of poor perform have come about when there have been injuries, full season one James, last season James and Naismith…and others.  But he’s always managed to get a win from somewhere.  I think the longest winless run is 5 games (once) and in fairness that included 3 draws, so never long losing runs.  We’ve had a 5, 6 and a 9 game unbeaten runs too.

(the above is a pointer to those who judge on results - there are countless other ways to measure what imho is a very good job being done)

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Because we are 6th in the table and the majority of fans form their opinions based upon the table.

Really? Really? It's only 9 months since this thread in which 56% of the fans on here voted to sack him. We were 18th on the day this thread was started. Read the thread, plenty who are of a "consensus" that he'd lost the dressing room/lost his ability/wasn't the man to take us forward etc. Not my view, and plenty who fought back, but the "consensus" was to wave goodbye to Pearson.

Fans are human and humans tend quite often to be fickle, stupid, and short-sighted.

Nige has done a lovely little interview here, and we are playing well. He's been asked some interesting questions and has kind of answered them and kind of gone off on some interesting tangents. If he implements everything he describes then sure he's doing well. But if you seriously think this thread would exist and this interview would be as lauded as it is if we were 15th or lower then you're kidding yourself imo.

That’s because some are so short sighted that they literally look no further than a performance or short spell of  indifferent form , results , 

Maybe it’s the years I’ve been watching but as a deep rooted supporter , to see for myself , and recognise , a football culture developing , that benefits the Club and the first X1 on a Saturday in the future , is an absolute pleasure

There were a number who recognised he was exactly what we needed at the time , and the way he’s gone about it with few grumbles is admirable 

I really despair that there were , are probably still are , some , that can’t see what a job he is doing for the Club beyond Saturdays X1 , and the longer he stays , the stronger that Culture will ingrained with we would hope and expect future benefit.

The worrying thing is a disastrous appointment / replacement for NP, or certainly two back to back could significantly destroy  that.

Pearson has taken over an overgrown allotment , completely cleared it , rotated the ground , added tons of manure, created a prime planting ground , and has just started to plant some staples and core veg , whilst nurturing some young tasty produce whilst our impatient want their dinner in the table now.

Ive seen the competent , incompetent, bluffers, blaggers, and I’m telling you Pearson was the perfect one for us at the time and has developed something really good and growing here , in difficult circumstances.

Whether he’s capable of taking us as a Club to promotion , I’m  not sure...... (I think the ‘Club’ and heirarchy more likely to halt that hope than NP)

But I really recognise appreciate what he’s already done , and personally have absolutely loved the way he’s gone about it and watching and listening him - an absolute pleasure , and his values are for me personally gold.

Long may it continue , its been fascinating in many ways 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 4

9 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

That’s because some are so short sighted that they literally look no further than a performance or short spell of  indifferent form , results , 

Maybe it’s the years I’ve been watching but as a deep rooted supporter , to see for myself , and recognise , a football culture developing , that benefits the Club and the first X1 on a Saturday in the future , is an absolute pleasure

There were a number who recognised he was exactly what we needed at the time , and the way he’s gone about it with few grumbles is admirable 

I really despair that there were , are probably still are , some , that can’t see what a job he is doing for the Club beyond Saturdays X1 , and the longer he stays , the stronger that Culture will ingrained with we would hope and expect future benefit.

The worrying thing is a disastrous appointment / replacement for NP, or certainly two back to back could significantly destroy  that.

Pearson has taken over an overgrown allotment , completely cleared it , rotated the ground , added tons of manure, created a prime planting ground , and has just started to plant some staples and core veg , whilst nurturing some young tasty produce whilst our impatient want their dinner in the table now.

Ive seen the competent , incompetent, bluffers, blaggers, and I’m telling you Pearson was the perfect one for us at the time and has developed something really good and growing here , in difficult circumstances.

Whether he’s capable of taking us as a Club to promotion , I’m  not sure...... (I think the ‘Club’ and heirarchy more likely to halt that hope than NP)

But I really recognise appreciate what he’s already done , and personally have absolutely loved the way he’s gone about it and watching and listening him - an absolute pleasure , and his values are for me personally gold.

Long may it continue , its been fascinating in many ways 

Sure, I broadly agree with all of that. Good job so far, steadied the ship nicely, seems like a nice enough bloke to have a pint with, but maybe some doubts as to whether he can actually take us to promotion.

I've laboured for many years on here to try and get people to shift their view from one that says "the only stat that matters is goals scored and we judge success purely on league table position". I have counselled restraint and railed against euphoria when we won 9 in a row under LJ, or have sat 2nd after 8 games (or whatever it was) but showed no signs of being a top 6 team, and at Christmas last year I was certainly against sacking Pearson.

My point to you was that fan feeling - as a collective - should not be considered a fair bellweather. You know as well as I do that should we lose the next three games and slump to the bottom half the atmosphere on this forum will shift dramatically away from the worshipful posts appearing on this thread.

Edited by ExiledAjax

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

My point to you was that fan feeling - as a collective - should not be considered a fair bellweather.  You know as well as I do that should we lose the next three games and slump to the bottom half the atmosphere on this forum will shift dramatically away from the worshipful posts appearing on this thread.

Well it won’t be me or those that recognise what I’ve highlighted

Simple - add those to the short sighted 

If ‘fans’ ‘supporters’ cant see deeper than a short run of results , a league position , ....... well..... and yes there’s plenty

Im actually enjoying

The Club looking as , stable at this level at anytime, in my decades 

Accepting the difficulty getting promoted from this level we are building a base that has a real chance of giving it a go whether under NP or a successor

We are doing this with a while sprinkling of Academy produced lads - Fantastic

And personally reallylike the fact these lads are a delight in their behaviour and manners , and the fact this appears to run through the players and football staff - some really nice and good people

As a Supporter I really like that , and their togetherness , it adds really value for me , to the , and irrespective of , results on the pitch 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They often question, if he is held in such high esteem, why he is not linked to other jobs and my response is that its very rare to have a club that is willing to invest in a project. It's all about the short term these days, so therefore the pool of clubs is very limited. 

Whilst it's not been easy here, the majority have shown patient because we can see what Nige is doing. The difference is night and day. Our club has never been so well run and professional on the footballing side as it is under Nige. 

Bizarrely other clubs fans expected Nige to install a culture, work ethic etc etc etc over night here. That kinda proves my point that there are very few clubs where Nige could undertake a project. 

What Nige has done here, kinda has that Sir Alex Ferguson feel to it. He's big on having the right players, the right culture, the right values with a good blend of youth and experience. At Man Utd Sir Alex Ferguson allowed players such as Keane etc to drive the culture and standards and that's very much like what Pearson is doing here (at a lower level of course) 

Whilst there is still a way to go, I kind of get the feeling that from a Bristol City perspective, something very special is about to happen. 

He's not changed then has Nigel, we've done a lot in recent years but I don't think I've ever been prouder as I was of the team and the club under him. Now chuck in the incredible scouting system that was installed by Steve Walsh, a bit of financial backing, and you can understand how we set about winning three different leagues thanks to that man. 

I'd have him back here over and over and over again, because you just know that given time, he gets it right, and not only that, your club will be so well run and professional off the pitch, it will stand you in good stead for years after he leaves. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Well it won’t be me or those that recognise what I’ve highlighted

Simple - add those to the short sighted 

If ‘fans’ ‘supporters’ cant see deeper than a short run of results , a league position , ....... well..... and yes there’s plenty

Im actually enjoying

The Club looking as , stable at this level at anytime, in my decades 

Accepting the difficulty getting promoted from this level we are building a base that has a real chance of giving it a go whether under NP or a successor

We are doing this with a while sprinkling of Academy produced lads - Fantastic

And personally reallylike the fact these lads are a delight in their behaviour and manners , and the fact this appears to run through the players and football staff - some really nice and good people

As a Supporter I really like that , and their togetherness , it adds really value for me , to the , and irrespective of , results on the pitch 

Nige has accumulated a squad of “outstanding human beings”, another thing SL likes ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mark_LCFC said:

It’s exactly what he did here and you all saw the result. I firmly believe that put him in any era that gives managers longer and puts less emphasis on media perception, and his name would fit naturally in the list of managers you mentioned to more than just us. Delighted that he’s found a club that’s giving him the opportunity to do it again.

Better manager than Alan Dicks? I think he could well be. Given that AD was in the job for fourteen (?) years, just think what Pearson could do given that length of time!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I stopped reading the above after the first four words and thought what else is making up ????