IGNORED

Leicester - pre-match interviews

Davefevs

Apart from the fact that he said that he ‘Isn’t some kind of dinosaur’ in one of his first interviews for us, I don’t think I’ve disagreed with anything he’s said said since.

He IS a dinosaur but it has nothing to do with his persona, training or tactical acumen.  It’s purely down to the fact that he was a bit of a cult hero of mine when he played for Middlesbrough as I had several friends who were Boro fans and they referred to him as ‘Dino’ Pearson.  

Why? I couldn’t tell you, though I do recall that there was a picture of him looking menacing with his arms bent and wrists broken. Far from the usual and tiresome ‘camp’ cliche, he looked like a ******* T-Rex!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeoTheCiderHead said:

Really really enjoyed NP’s one - didn’t want it to end. May even listen again. 

The bloke is different class. I think most on here see it now even Ian hasn’t called for him to be fired recently!

If we are going to do this, he is our best chance since GJ without doubt, but probably our best chance since AD. 

Big game on Saturday. I’ll be right up for it and I guess Mr Pearson and Andy King will be too

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

World class leadership there from Nigel. How on earth have our owners not extended his contract yet. This is what SL always wanted for City, Bristol players from the academy, sustainable strategy, crowds of over 20K, the pathway and we are playing some great football. I don’t get it, what more can he be expected to do. We are on to a good thing but fear in typical BCFC style we will throw it away. 

Don’t know either way, but he might not want one. He keeps bigging up Andy King as a future City manager FWIW. 

However I would be pleased if he signed a new one. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’m not always a big fan of his press conferences, but that was good.

A bit worried that he seems to have started sniffing….like a certain predecessor!

And what’s that behind him? Is that where Jon Lansdown practices designing new badges and shirt logos?! 

It's Jon Lansdowns nursery looks like his Doodling wall ...

• Haha 1

Class interviews from both of them. Has there been a time in recent history when so much of the fanbase has been so firmly behind the manager? We f*cking love this man and the job he's pulled off working miracles with his hands tied behind his back instilling everything we've been trying but failing to do since O'Driscoll and the 5 pillars days. No one begrudges him getting visibly emotional about the return to Leicester. And as for childhood Bristol City fan and inspiration and mentor to the academy kids Andy King, doesn't he speak from the NP rule book, let's hope that we end up as a successful period in his managerial career too. Surprisingly powerful stuff.

• Like 4

Really glad to have both men at our club.  Nige, open, honest, considered, and always steps back from the spotlight to emphasise the others have played in his successes.  Very selfless and generous.  Much be very motivating to everyone working with him.

Well done to the press asking the questions.  More open questions, and Nige seems to enjoy the opportunity to be more expansive in his replies. 

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts:

NP looks very physically well, and mentally relaxed

He has outlined his vision of City moving forward, and gives every impression that he wants to be a continuing part of this evolution.

It would be criminal - madness - to not extent NP for another year / 18 months

Do it now, and let him continue his work, without the worry that he won't be here to see the final outcome.

@Davefevs

NP mentioned specifically that 'age wasn't a barrier' to any player who has 'the right qualities' and specifically mentioned players in their thirties. he also mentioned the squad was 'threadbare'.

Did you get the impression NP has a free agent / OOC player of that age, who he would like to bring in, but is waiting for financial approval from SL, and this was his way of applying some subtle pressure to get this done?

It certainly seemed like a mild 'shot across the bows' to me.

Thoughts?

• Hmmm 1

New 2-3 Year deal should be offered, effectively extending his current stint by that time.

A bigger transfer budget too, not saying go nuts with it but a bigger budget...and key sales basically crossed off for the next couple of years- hope Scott was the last for a while.

The lack of (that we can see) proactive planning to get him here for the next few years is disappointing and basically far less than he deserves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

New 2-3 Year deal should be offered, effectively extending his current stint by that time.

A bigger transfer budget too, not saying go nuts with it but a bigger budget...and key sales basically crossed off for the next couple of years- hope Scott was the last for a while.

The lack of (that we can see) proactive planning to get him here for the next few years is disappointing and basically far less than he deserves.

I don’t know what’s true and what isn’t.  

The Alexander bloke was gone a week before it was common knowledge apparently 

The club have got a lot better at keeping things in house and seem to have fun letting one or two look good on here!

I suspect, again, a lot more than meets the eye, particularly after Alexander told us it wasn’t on his radar just before, he jumped/got pushed!

50 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Couple of thoughts:

NP looks very physically well, and mentally relaxed

He has outlined his vision of City moving forward, and gives every impression that he wants to be a continuing part of this evolution.

It would be criminal - madness - to not extent NP for another year / 18 months

Do it now, and let him continue his work, without the worry that he won't be here to see the final outcome.

@Davefevs

NP mentioned specifically that 'age wasn't a barrier' to any player who has 'the right qualities' and specifically mentioned players in their thirties. he also mentioned the squad was 'threadbare'.

Did you get the impression NP has a free agent / OOC player of that age, who he would like to bring in, but is waiting for financial approval from SL, and this was his way of applying some subtle pressure to get this done?

It certainly seemed like a mild 'shot across the bows' to me.

Thoughts?

No, I didn’t, but I was so so engrossed listening to him, I wasn’t looking for any “angles”/ hidden messages.

Despite all my thoughts of SL pulling the rug from beneath Nige / Tins re plans a and b, I do genuinely think Nige is happy with the squad - very happy…and knows that injuries are a risk.  But it’s one he’s prepared to take because he’d rather keep to squad tight knit.

I think us fans (me included in that) think we could do with one maybe two, but I think that’s short-termism, because the likes of Tommy, Rob and Ross (plus Ayman) will be back.  We have to suck it up.  I also think that being a hardworking, hard to beat team is more important than anything at this stage of the season.  Build our way into the season, take stock at various points, e.g. next international break, then December, etc.

I’m moving off on a tangent, but tactically I’ve seen a bit of evidence that my unfavored 3 forwards strung across the pitch are beginning to pair up / play closer to each other…and I think Naismith is having a big influence on them - because he can accurately distribute the ball, so that they’re not trying to cover the width of the pitch, but can try to get two of them in closer proximity, because they know where he is gonna deliver it.  Probably not explained it very well.  Plus of course his ability to get it into midfield crisply too.

I’m a pretty happy bunny at the mo’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

If the SL/JL want some heat taken off, give him a new contract, they won’t though. 

TBF, I think that the Lansdowns are probably still waiting to get the nod of approval from Top Robin… could easily roll on to the summer if at all…

9 hours ago, Cardy said:

I’m convinced that if given the time & an appropriate level of financial backing this is the guy to take us to the Premier League. He is absolutely different class to any other manager in our recent history.

Quite why our Owner & his plastic Chairman can’t see that we should be trying to tie Nige down for the medium term future is beyond me. It would be an absolute travesty if he is allowed to walk away from our club at the end of this season without completing the project.

I completely agree with you. In my time supporting City, we've had several superb managers that were able to achieve things like saving us from total disintegration (TC) getting us into the highest league (AD) and a couple more.

But, just my opinion on how he comes across and what he says, NP is managing us on a completely new level, simply by encouraging coaches, players, academy youngsters to manage themselves and also to support all their colleagues. His type of "bullying" is to put the onus on everyone in that dressing room. He is turning Bristol City into a proper football club just like the Busby's, Guardiola's, Ferguson's who achieve by making all their staff responsible for their own contribution.

How far will he be allowed to take us?

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

11 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Give Nige a new contract asap.

To quote Wert Ham fans about Rice (yes I know where that went!):

“One more year, one more year Nigel Pearson!

One more year, one more year, we say!

One more year, one more year Nigel Pearson!

Playing football the City way!”

Two more years, three more years etc. 

?

10 hours ago, Ian M said:

The biggest indicator that Nigel is contented with his work here so far is how relaxed he now looks in the company of the media. In all his interviews you get the sense that he’s proud of many of the players he works with now in almost a fatherly way.

Totally agree , most relaxed and personally healthiest I have seen him since joining the club , he deffo has a long term plan of how to rebuild or continue to rebuild and sounds very much like he is following the model he done at Leicester.

really like the fact and it bodes well for the club of how he says what the players are like behind the scenes , eg injured players involved and doing really good things .

another massive positive for me was how he stated that Jason knight has a hunger / desire to be a winner and sets high standards that can only bode well for the rest of the squad if you have a born winner setting standards off the pitch -ie Roy Keane in his pomp at Man U heard many an interview from x players saying that Keane was onto them in training all the time pushing them forward and not to let standards slip - Winning mentality breeds winners something we have not had for a while at this club - been far to soft 

I still come back to that letting brum off the hook a few years back we could of sent the fxxk  down but instead choose to let them have a party and Harry Rednapp to gloat , think this city team would have put them down . 
let’s hope we keep evolving  as we are , I’m sure were deffo going in the right direction , think this year will be a season to soon .  I think ( but hope not ) Leicester might show us that Saturday.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, One Team said:

To quote Wert Ham fans about Rice (yes I know where that went!):

“One more year, one more year Nigel Pearson!

One more year, one more year, we say!

One more year, one more year Nigel Pearson!

Playing football the City way!”

Two more years, three more years etc. 

?

Would be a great statement and show of support if we could do something like this during a game. As it is he doesn’t even have a song 

Edited by BUTOR

50 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I completely agree with you. In my time supporting City, we've had several superb managers that were able to achieve things like saving us from total disintegration (TC) getting us into the highest league (AD) and a couple more.

But, just my opinion on how he comes across and what he says, NP is managing us on a completely new level, simply by encouraging coaches, players, academy youngsters to manage themselves and also to support all their colleagues. His type of "bullying" is to put the onus on everyone in that dressing room. He is turning Bristol City into a proper football club just like the Busby's, Guardiola's, Ferguson's who achieve by making all their staff responsible for their own contribution.

How far will he be allowed to take us?

It’s exactly what he did here and you all saw the result. I firmly believe that put him in any era that gives managers longer and puts less emphasis on media perception, and his name would fit naturally in the list of managers you mentioned to more than just us. Delighted that he’s found a club that’s giving him the opportunity to do it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’m not always a big fan of his press conferences, but that was good.

A bit worried that he seems to have started sniffing….like a certain predecessor!

And what’s that behind him? Is that where Jon Lansdown practices designing new badges and shirt logos?! 

He did sniff a bit too much. Probably just a cold mate ? he is though very down to earth and very honest in what he says and how he comes across. Most probably will go done as one of our best managers in history at the end of this season. He still is not yet City history like Alan Dicks though in my books. But let us wait and see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, awbb said:

Apart from the fact that he said that he ‘Isn’t some kind of dinosaur’ in one of his first interviews for us, I don’t think I’ve disagreed with anything he’s said said since.

He IS a dinosaur but it has nothing to do with his persona, training or tactical acumen.  It’s purely down to the fact that he was a bit of a cult hero of mine when he played for Middlesbrough as I had several friends who were Boro fans and they referred to him as ‘Dino’ Pearson.  

Why? I couldn’t tell you, though I do recall that there was a picture of him looking menacing with his arms bent and wrists broken. Far from the usual and tiresome ‘camp’ cliche, he looked like a ******* T-Rex!

Good post, although TBF dinosaurs were pretty successful for over 140 million seasons; I’d settle for two or three! ? ? ? 

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, 2015 said:

NP signing a new contract will give the club, the fans, the players and the support of the ownership a massive boost. It needs to happen.

I also think that it gives us long term stability. 

When Pearson came here it was said that this was a 3 year project and that by the end of it we would like to be challenging for the top 6. 

I think we may be slightly behind that goal, although signs are looking positive so far this season. I think lots of unexpected things have happened which have slightly slowed progress. 

Nige is very big on adaptability and I love that. OK things may have not gone exactly to plan, so let's get a new contract signed so we can adapt and enhance the plan.