IGNORED

VAR (part 3965 !)

Midred

Reffing this week. I wouldn't give a card there. I dont see a foul its a good tackle. Nothing malicious. Nothing reckless. No excess force. Zero intent except to win the ball clean. The lad lifts his leg over the ball to hook it back with nil force and momentum. First red card of the lads career for that is disgrace and an embarrassment to refereeing. There was no clear and obvious error for VAR to get all over it instead of using VAR like a kill joy school teacher looking all over anything for a % of % infraction of rule a.1 like Mr Bronson off grange hill. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think people are overlooking the or in the law. 

Without having the audio available I can only guess. But it's pretty simple isn't it? The VAR obviously considered it to be a red offence where as in real time the ref didn't. So that's where the clear and obvious error has occurred. If a ref has missed a red card offence, then thats a clear and obvious error isn't it? 

What's nonsense is that I provided a video which shows the process but still you won't believe that's the process. 

I think they need to start sharing the audio, because at the minute it's really frustrating for players and fans alike.

I've always said the best refs I've played with have been the ones who just give a little explanation - they don't have to commentate every single time, but a little reasoning on the key decisions can go a long way.

3 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Reffing this week. I wouldn't give a card there. I dont see a foul its a good tackle. Nothing malicious. Nothing reckless. No excess force. Zero intent except to win the ball clean. The lad lifts his leg over the ball to hook it back with nil force and momentum. First red card of the lads career for that is disgrace and an embarrassment to refereeing. There was no clear and obvious error for VAR to get all over it instead of using VAR like a kill joy school teacher looking all over anything for a % of % infraction of rule a.1 like Mr Bronson off grange hill. 

And this is why I don't particularly like VAR, because what you've said here is a completely valid view of that particular challenge (although as I said before I could argue a case with the laws of the game)

It's too subjective, and you rarely find agreement on many decisions so extending it from 1 (or 3) onfield referees to another 2-3 in the VAR room doesn't really help on these calls.

Also VAR don't have the benefit of the temprement of the game, the ref will have an idea of how the games going, is it boiling over, has a player lost their head etc. They can all influence decisions especially on red card challenges.

Technology works for more objective decisions, e.g. like it or not but offside is a factual call. Ball going over the goal line also. Red cards, hand balls and penalites are less matter of fact - I'd like to see VAR reign it in a bit, more clear cut errors and things the ref has missed and anything that can't be determined in a couple of replays is left at the onfield ref's discretion (unless he'd ike another view of something)

1 hour ago, kit said:

Calvert-Lewins red has been successfully overturned. So it wasn't a clear and abvious error then...

Obviously was the wrong decision. Amazed a few thought it was a red.

• Like 3

So let's get this right .. 

VAR tells the ref he made a mistake not to give a red card for seriousfoul play, so he looks at it pitchside (many, many, times) then agreeds he made an error so changes his decision to red card.

Then it's appealed and overturned, the FA now saying the ref made a mistake in sending the player off, despite not giving a red card initially and being correct in the first place.

VAR is a shambles, officiating is at rock bottom.

Edited by WolfOfWestStreet
  • Like 4

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

So let's get this right .. 

VAR tells the ref he made a mistake not to give a red card for seriousfoul play, so he looks at it pitchside (many, many, times) then agreeds he made an error so changes his decision to red card.

Then it's appealed and overturned, the ref having made a mistake in sending the player off, despite not giving a red card and being correct in the first place.

VAR is a shambles, officiating is at rock bottom.

Completely agree.  Get 3 random fans to manage VAR and I can’t see how they’d do a worse job 

44 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Was certainly interested to see if it was overturned as I could see both sides of the argument. Bit surprised to be honest but I don’t really want that to be red 

Not sure what the other side was. It was a disgraceful decision and never a red card.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure what the other side was. It was a disgraceful decision and never a red card.

The other side has been discussed on this forum.  You were involved in the debate I think 

1 minute ago, Markthehorn said:

Wonder why the ref changed his mind which was the main issue ?

They don’t have to agree with the VAR ..

They always do though. Bizarrely 

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The other side has been discussed on this forum.  You were involved in the debate I think 

They always do though. Bizarrely 

Because they are under pressure to agree with them. Shame for the ref because he was right with his original decision. Have the balls to stick to it.

I doubt it will be scrapped in France because one team wants it to be but if others join in might put pressure on the authorities there and across the world?

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/var-ligue-1-brest-monaco-486347-20240118

And in Portugal conversations wlll be heard ..

In real time ?

Edited by Markthehorn