IGNORED

VAR (part 3965 !)

Midred

Pgmol this morning apologises to Liverpool for VAR not intervening  when the referee disallowed a goal yesterday. This was after intervening to convert a yellow card into a red card. It doesn't change the result though or give a consolation point to the aggrieved team.

Yes I know that not everyone on otib follows Liverpool 😂 but we at City  complain about a referee who can determine the validity of a penalty appeal from the halfway line but completely misses a foul/handball right in front of him. 

Whether it be incompetence, lack of concentration or even the suspicion of favouring some teams more than others there has to be some accountability by the officials. Heaven help that the result of a seasons hard work could be determined not by the footballers but by the lack of quality match and VAR officials. 

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Midred said:

Pgmol this morning apologises to Liverpool for VAR not intervening  when the referee disallowed a goal yesterday. This was after intervening to convert a yellow card into a red card. It doesn't change the result though or give a consolation point to the aggrieved team.

Yes I know that not everyone on otib follows Liverpool 😂 but we at City  complain about a referee who can determine the validity of a penalty appeal from the halfway line but completely misses a foul/handball right in front of him. 

Whether it be incompetence, lack of concentration or even the suspicion of favouring some teams more than others there has to be some accountability by the officials. Heaven help that the result of a seasons hard work could be determined not by the footballers but by the lack of quality match and VAR officials. 

They apologised at half time. Yet another VAR howler.

16 minutes ago, Midred said:

there has to be some accountability by the officials. Heaven help that the result of a seasons hard work could be determined not by the footballers but by the lack of quality match and VAR officials. 

You right.

The injustice of one decision being wrong over nine month is too deep to ignore.

Strip them of their roles.

Bulldoze their houses.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

If they cant get an offside right , which is supposedly objective, then whats the point? 

The refs and linos calls are subjective, so whats the point of having more refs look at a subjective decision? Its taking away the ability of refs to make calls as 9 times out of ten they go to the monitor and change their mind as they have lost confidence.

It wont happen now, but i think the game should be brave and say, "look, we're just going to live with the on field calls right or wrong" and ditch the VAR, we have goal line tech and thats all we can really be objective about

Spoiler

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

Hard to escape the conclusion far more fuss is being made of this because it was Liverpool than if it had been any of Wolves, Burnley or Bournemouth.

About half the media seem to have played for them & it is being reported to almost the same level as the Queen dying.

They have benefited from a significant number of baffling decisions since VAR came in but no one appears to want to mention that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hard to escape the conclusion far more fuss is being made of this because it was Liverpool than if it had been any of Wolves, Burnley or Bournemouth.

About half the media seem to have played for them & it is being reported to almost the same level as the Queen dying.

They have benefited from a significant number of baffling decisions since VAR came in but no one appears to want to mention that.

I take your point but most clubs will suffer one way or another over the course of the season and  to be fair it was mentioned in the media that Wolves had suffered a dubious decision playing against Manchester utd.

• Like 1

Picture the scene: It`s the 119th minute of the play off final and we`re drawing 0-0 with Ipswich when Tommy Conway scores a wonder goal from 30 yards. VAR then disallows it because his left big toe was offside in the build up and we go on to lose on penalties.

I`m sure we`d all walk away from Wembley saying `Ah well, that`s a shame but at least VAR got it right so that`s good`

I`m done if it ever comes to our league (which it will inevitably).

• Like 2

Watched the whole game when I got home , personally thought the officials were poor ( I’m not Liverpool lover at all by the way there on my list of Rovers Cardiff Swindon Arsenal Liverpool who I dislike ) the Curtis sending off never in my eyes deffo played the ball and foot bounced off the top of the ball not in a million years did he go to do the player and as for the disallowed goal I said to the wife straight away deffo goal I was amazed they said it was off side . The standard of refereeing in this country is so so poor , best ref I’ve seen this season was the Italian chap , when we beat the jocks with our eyes closed 

• Like 1

Listening to FBC.  Got to agree with Ian….VAR is a “system” incorporating Technology and Humans.  The humans are getting it wrong.

With the cricket system human error is rare.  For LBWs Humans are responsible for ensuring VAR judges when the ball impacts the pad.

Interestingly for the Stokes v Aussies lbw appeal with no review off of Lyon’s, the Hawkeye (or whatever it’s called) operator missed the first impact and the second impact was closer.

6 minutes ago, redkev said:

Watched the whole game when I got home , personally thought the officials were poor ( I’m not Liverpool lover at all by the way there on my list of Rovers Cardiff Swindon Arsenal Liverpool who I dislike ) the Curtis sending off never in my eyes deffo played the ball and foot bounced off the top of the ball not in a million years did he go to do the player and as for the disallowed goal I said to the wife straight away deffo goal I was amazed they said it was off side . The standard of refereeing in this country is so so poor , best ref I’ve seen this season was the Italian chap , when we beat the jocks with our eyes closed 

I think that being a referee now is harder than its ever been and VAR has made it harder not easier. That said I also believe that the current crop of officials across the Premier league and EFL is the worst in 50 years. What annoys me most is that too few of them have the courage of their own convictions. It seems to be if they visit the VAR screen they are duty bound to agree with the guy in the booth instead of sometimes telling the guy he's a prat and sticking with their original decision. Offside is a prime example of where VAR gets it wrong too many times despite slow motion and the apparent drawing of lines. Ridiculous, given that over the years statistics showed that linesmen got it right in real time some 90+%of the time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

The injustice of one decision being wrong over nine month is too deep to ignore.

Exactly my thoughts poor old Liverpool always finding a way to make it about them. 

Crap decisions happen every week and there are infinitely less of them in The Premier League than in the Championship. 

A couple of decisions went against them c’est la vierpool! 

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly my thoughts poor old Liverpool always finding a way to make it about them. 

Crap decisions happen every week and there are infinitely less of them in The Premier League than in the Championship. 

A couple of decisions went against them c’est la vierpool! 

I can’t stand Liverpool but yesterday was more than just a decision going against them - it’s baffling how it’s happened, there are 2 of them in the room.

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 1

In fairness I take that back a bit, he seems more constructive than the BBC headline suggested.

https://archive.ph/2023.10.01-191313/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/10/01/brentford-nottingham-forest-niakhate-dominguez-var-referee/

It does make me laugh about Leicester fans going on about how they love non VAR football, of course some of their calls have been very favourable indeed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

53 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I can’t stand Liverpool but yesterday was more than just a decision going against them - it’s baffling how it’s happened, there are 2 of them in the room.

It is baffling, however There have been a few gone against a number of teams. You can’t take error out of the game completely we know that now, nevertheless errors, either VAR OR in the EFL, tend do go against the smaller clubs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

It is baffling, however There have been a few gone against a number of teams. You can’t take error out of the game completely we know that now, nevertheless errors, either VAR OR in the EFL, tend do go against the smaller clubs. 

Yea, sometimes you see a ref and he can't wait to give it, ie a penalty.

If irs a possible and it is a bigger side it can often fall their way even if only possible. In theory VAR absolutely should mitigate against this and yet??

The reason I was keen to give it a go was that the camera wouldn't lie, big team bias conscious or otherwise would be drastically cut because how could it not be.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yea, sometimes you see a ref and he can't wait to give it, ie a penalty.

If irs a possible and it is a bigger side it can often fall their way even if only possible. In theory VAR absolutely should mitigate against this and yet??

The reason I was keen to give it a go was that the camera wouldn't lie, big team bias conscious or otherwise would be drastically cut because how could it not be.

I agree completely. The notion that VAR doesn’t get the majority right is plain wrong. VAR if there is a problem is not the problem, it’s the guys operating it and making the decisions from it. Agh well AI will sort that out! 

I just got a vision of Arnie shirtless with a machine gun belt draped over him drawing an off side line. 

Edited by REDOXO

Ever since Mike Dean admitted he didn't send his mate to the monitor to save him I've questioned the integrity of VAR. 

It's all cloak and daggers and fans have no idea about what is going on. 

The audio needs to be released in real time which would go along way to easing concerns of integrity. No way does that goal get given as offside if someone has to walk fans through the decision of why it is offside. 

But for the ref and the linos to get it wrong. Plus the VAR ref and his assistant is a monumental mess up and it just shouldn't happen with that many involved. This wasn't even a subjective call. It was blatantly onside by quite a margin. 

Var ruling on offsides has often intrigued me. One frame can be onside, the next frame offside so it relies on the VAR officials using the correct frame of which I'm not at all convinced that they do. 

You then have to wonder why they don't use the FIFA system of having a chip in the ball which detects when the ball is touched. Using that you can then establish the correct frame to use without any subjectivity from humans.

The fact they don't use the system raises doubts about integrity because it gives the impression that they can manipulate the situation for whatever outcome they may desire. 

• Like 1

There was so much wrong with that game I flipped and watched Oxford Utd.  

First red was 50/50, Disallowed goal was stupid, the second red was based on some fairly light touch yellows.  VAR is a shambles I just lost interest in watching.

Turned out to be a cracking game I missed but ah well.