IGNORED

VAR (part 3965 !)

Midred

On 02/10/2023 at 08:15, Super said:

They must have known they ballsed up seconds after the restart. Rule needs to be changed where they can stop the play and give the goal.

This is exactly my take on it.

Human error and a bad one but they could have stopped the play, awarded the goal and gone for a kick off. Not too difficult? The right outcome is the 1st priority, pressing on regardless compounds the error. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Just heard the audio, not only is it damming but absolutely embarrassing!

It's like downing Street when the pandemic struck!

Am I missing something here? I clearly heard the lino say to give the goal, so therefore not offside. VAR then did their usual check as they do for every goal and they said check complete. So therefore the VAR officials thought the goal had been given and that's why they said "check complete"

It appeared to me that it was the onfield officiating team that messed up due to their poor communication and they were relying upon VAR making the decision for them and that's not what VAR is for.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Am I missing something here? I clearly heard the lino say to give the goal, so therefore not offside. VAR then did their usual check as they do for every goal and they said check complete. So therefore the VAR officials thought the goal had been given and that's why they said "check complete"

It appeared to me that it was the onfield officiating team that messed up due to their poor communication and they were relying upon VAR making the decision for them and that's not what VAR is for.

The lino was saying, delaying, delaying then when the goal was scored he said coming back for the offside?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But then the other one said to give it. To me that's where the confusion in the VAR room occurred, because of the poor communication from the onfield officials. 

It was very poor communication all round, they didn't appear to know the game had been restarted! Unbelievable really

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

This is exactly my take on it.

Human error and a bad one but they could have stopped the play, awarded the goal and gone for a kick off. Not too difficult? The right outcome is the 1st priority, pressing on regardless compounds the error. 

Yes agree but had they done that under the current rules no doubt Spurs would have kicked up a fuss ?

13 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Yes agree but had they done that under the current rules no doubt Spurs would have kicked up a fuss ?

Yes, probably but everyone would have pointed out they had no grounds in the world of common sense.

I feel for those involved in this mess. We are all human and make mistakes, easy for me to say as I have no support for either team, but I would hate any job where you face trial by media.

I try to judge things by whether there was some form of deliberate cheating or bias. I don't see that here, as bad as it was.

• Like 1

The replay operator was on the ball, the rest of VAR team were all over the place.

The amount of talking / speed of talking shows a bit of panic / chaos.  The ball was dead from the goal, why the panic?

Shambles.

And then just like you can’t appeal two yellows, once the game has started, can’t go back.  They make a rod for their own backs.  Crazy.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The replay operator was on the ball, the rest of VAR team were all over the place.

The amount of talking / speed of talking shows a bit of panic / chaos.  The ball was dead from the goal, why the panic?

Shambles.

And then just like you can’t appeal two yellows, once the game has started, can’t go back.  They make a rod for their own backs.  Crazy.

Isn't that a bi product of us football fans and the media complaining about stoppages for checking incidents? 

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It shouldn’t be under the new rules for adding on time.

But then when we started getting all these +10 mins etc people started moaning about it so it seems they've reduced the amount of added on time. 

It certainly seems that we haven't been given the added on time that should have been given in games. Would be interested to see if the ball in play time has increased. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But then when we started getting all these +10 mins etc people started moaning about it so it seems they've reduced the amount of added on time. 

It certainly seems that we haven't been given the added on time that should have been given in games. Would be interested to see if the ball in play time has increased. 

I certainly don't think we have been given it. 11 mins at Stoke tonight, will check a few others.

27 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Idiot. There's refereeing mistakes in almost every game, shall we replay them as well? 

Indeed.

Aston Villa v Sheffield United post lockdown was a disgrace but there was no prospect of that being replayed. That said had Aston Villa been on the wrong end of that I expect they would have moaned and moaned and moaned...

More recently, pretty sure Brentford and Burnley can feel aggrieved from their recent VAR vs Nottingham Forest, likewise Wolves at Old Trafford, perhaps even Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed.

Aston Villa v Sheffield United post lockdown was a very poor call but there was no prospect of that being replayed. Had Aston Villa been on the wrong end of thst I expect they would have moaned and moaned and moaned...

More recently, pretty sure Brentford and Burnley can feel aggrieved from their recent VAR vs Nottingham Forest, likewise Wolves at Old Trafford, perhaps even Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford...

City would be replaying 20 games every season! 😂  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67003386

It was clearly a terrible call but Good Luck With That!!

It’s Liverpool, so don’t rule it out.

Absolutely embarrassing- a club that benefits from loads of favourable decisions from referees suddenly has to deal with a couple of poor ones & bleats on endlessly about it, supported by their many friends in the media.

• Like 5

Found a photo of that potentially but not 100 pct certain in terms of decisiveness Hawkeye Aston Villa call.

EeA618rXgAEIamp?format=jpg&name=360x360

Freak event sure, conspiracy I doubt but if you're Bournemouth and Watford one point off safety...

I remember Aston Villa crying and screaming so much so that Leeds literally let them score at Elland Road. Their double standards and freak luck are something to behold.

Certainly no replay, the system wasn't working so that sets the bar for this or any other!

• Flames 1

Just another good example, can say without exaggeration Aston Villa fans the lot of them I've worked with and known, as a club and fanbase a lot of insufferable...individuals.

I wouldn't have given them shit. Is letting them score here rewarding poor behaviour in a sense? They are wonderfully hypocritical and entitled.

• Like 1

What about red cards that are rescinded? Should these games be replayed too? Removing or downgrading the card shows the on-field decision was an error.

If (and I think it's a big 'if') the game is replayed the Premier League would have opened Pandora's box, whilst creating a pay day for all the club's lawyers!

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, Laner said:

What about red cards that are rescinded? Should these games be replayed too? Removing or downgrading the card shows the on-field decision was an error.

If (and I think it's a big 'if') the game is replayed the Premier League would have opened Pandora's box, whilst creating a pay day for all the club's lawyers!

And if that did happen it would be the same old teams benefiting. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It’s Liverpool, so don’t rule it out.

Absolutely embarrassing- a club that benefits from loads of favourable decisions from referees suddenly has to deal with a couple of poor ones & bleats on endlessly about it, supported by their many friends in the media.

Shoulf they replay all the games where they have benefitted from a decision?

Also in cup games where there is var at pl grounds but not at others which the FA insist is fair?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, let's keep VAR but use it similar to the system in cricket.

The Ref can use it if he is unsure about an incident. The two teams could have two reviews each if they disagreed about a decision.

Not sure saying the ref can use it if unsure would work - imagine they’d just end up reviewing everything on the basis they’d be absolutely pilloried if they made a mistake and didn’t review when they had the chance.

11 minutes ago, Cyderman said:

Not sure saying the ref can use it if unsure would work - imagine they’d just end up reviewing everything on the basis they’d be absolutely pilloried if they made a mistake and didn’t review when they had the chance.

OK then; let's revert to the tried & tested method. The Ref, with support from his linos, will make decisions as he sees them and teams will respect his verdict.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK then; let's revert to the tried & tested method. The Ref, with support from his linos, will make decisions as he sees them and teams will respect his verdict.

Nah, just make it a manager-only review.

You’ll soon see managers made to look stupid for bad review choices…and they’ll start telling their players to be sure before they claim stuff.  No more “I didn’t see it”.  It’s a bit like Stokes not trusting Broad on an lbw, he knows Broad is always confident and often proved wrong.

In the event of a linesman incorrectly flagging for offside (and ref blowing for offside) and manager reviews correctly, then give a free-kick in the position the receiving player next touched it.  If that’s in the box, then free-kick on the edge of box in line with where they received it.  I don’t like the idea of “playing-on” because it could lead to injury, e.g. keeper decapitates striker through 1 on 1.

• Like 3