IGNORED

Leeds United away match thread

2 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Cornick is absolute tripe! 9 months here now and he’s not improved or shown any reason why he should be ahead of any of our other strikers

Physical presence that keeps running, Conway not 90 mins fit, Bell too lightweight to play as a lone striker in the middle so sharing the work with Wells. 

Still he’s clearly the scapegoat..

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Cornick is absolute tripe! 9 months here now and he’s not improved or shown any reason why he should be ahead of any of our other strikers

He was certainly no worse than any of our other forward players today. But don't let that get in the way of your scapegoating.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Also a word on Archie Gray, wow. That’s honestly the most in awe I’ve been of an opposition youngster since Bellingham. What an incredible talent. 17 years of age…

He was my MoM BoM (boy of the match).

Very mature performance from him, he had Bell in his pocket.

H's going to have a great career if this is his normal satndard of play.

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Each to their own, but I absolutely despise this way of thinking.

Unfortunately, I worry that this thought process is far too embedded within the club and fanbase.

Luton, Bournemouth, Wigan, Barnsley, etc didn't seem to think that they should just be happy as a midtable Championship team, but apparently the biggest club in the 7th biggest city in England, who are one of the better teams in the division in terms of attendances, can't expect to ever be better than average.

In the grand scheme of things, there's absolutely no reason why we can't achieve just as much as almost any other Championship club.

I don't think this way because it's where I want us to be but the reality of it.

Every time this discussion is had one person is accepting and one is demanding. The accepting person takes my stance, the demanding one says "If Brighton can do it, why can't we?" which is a fair comment but they seem to ignore the multitude of teams who are all feeling the same way  and have failed to achieve the same. I mean for every Brighton there is a Sheffield Wednesday, QPR, Blackburn and many more. All three of those teams and many others could say "Well if Brighton can do it, why can't we?" but the truth is it's because there is a whole league system and for every "small club, big success" story there are a huge number more of it not working.

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

He was certainly no worse than any of our other forward players today. But don't let that get in the way of your scapegoating.

Yep, the scapegoating is very boring and repetitive.

But there's always the ignore poster function.

Edited by bcfc01
14 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Hmm. Three losses out of four. Glad we got that winner at Rotherham. Need a result next game. 

Interesting sample size.

Includes two away games (the only ones we’ve lost) against 2 teams that were in the Prem last season.

Surely not quoted to find the worst possible outcome?

Last 7 games? W3 D1 L3, see? Different conclusion & not just ex Prem sides..

11 games so far W4 D3 L4, that seems the fairest reflection on our form.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't think this way because it's where I want us to be but the reality of it.

Every time this discussion is had one person is accepting and one is demanding. The accepting person takes my stance, the demanding one says "If Brighton can do it, why can't we?" which is a fair comment but they seem to ignore the multitude of teams who are all feeling the same way  and have failed to achieve the same. I mean for every Brighton there is a Sheffield Wednesday, QPR, Blackburn and many more. All three of those teams and many others could say "Well if Brighton can do it, why can't we?" but the truth is it's because there is a whole league system and for every "small club, big success" story there are a huge number more of it not working.

For the love of God this why we remain such losers because of fans like you. Do you not know that S Weds, QPR & Blackburn have all been in the premier league and Blackburn actually won the Premier league under Dalglish?!! They have all done a Brighton!!! 

• Facepalm 1
6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pre FFP, pre Parachutes being as decisive. I sort of take your point but you have to look at each case individually then analyse from there.

Note that I said "in the grand scheme of things...."

I agree we can't really expect to compete with the parachute payments teams this season, but across a period of 10-20 years there's no reason why we can't perform just as well as the clubs who many would categorise as being "better than us".

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

The distinction is that the 3 examples you've given (Sheffield Wednesday, QPR, Blackburn) have all played in the Premier League and all won at least 1 major trophy. We haven't done either (granted, we played in the old 1st division, but for significantly less time than those 3 clubs have). They're clubs who have had low points, but they've been balanced by high points. We're one of few clubs at this level to have never truly had a high point.

I would even argue that we're not actually asking for a "small club, big success" story. I think all we're asking for really is an "average sized club, average sized success" story.

• Like 2
Just now, Cidre Monita said:

For the love of God this why we remain such losers because of fans like you. Do you not know that S Weds, QPR & Blackburn have all been in the premier league and Blackburn actually won the Premier league under Dalglish?!! They have all done a Brighton!!! 

Pre FFP...pre Parachute Payments being more decisive, Blackburn a bigger club historically, Sheffield Wednesday most definitely. 

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not the best of examples to use two small clubs who have historically overachieved 

I thought Leeds were the best or marginally the second best team we’ve played this season. Our only threat really was from corners.
In forwards areas, Leeds ran with purpose, passed it well, and looked a consistent threat. No disgrace to lose to them but again it shows the level we are at. We might have pinched a point with that header (cleared off the line) but it would have been sunlight robbery. 

1 minute ago, Cidre Monita said:

Who would put money on us getting into the Premier League for the first time before any of those three examples got back there again? That pool of comparable/smaller teams that haven't made it is getting smaller all the time. We are starting to look like a ridiculous outlier.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

He's too predictable for the opposition.

Yep. He was 1 on 1 with their right back and you could tell from the body movement of their right back that he knew what Mehmeti was going to do before Mehmeti did. He subsequently got tackled and lost the ball. I really do hope it works out for the kid but the signs are ominous right now to say the least.

37 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Yes but it's not like Bell had the beating of their young full-back either.

Does that makeit any less frustrating ? 
Bell is rightly starting as he offers slightly more. Today he wasn't great, TBH I'd struggle to name too many who I thought had a decent game let alone good. I think it's poor not beating the first man with a cross, to get the ball back and your 2nd cross barely gets off the floor is criminal . 

24 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Physical presence that keeps running, Conway not 90 mins fit, Bell too lightweight to play as a lone striker in the middle so sharing the work with Wells. 

Still he’s clearly the scapegoat..

He’s not a scapegoat, he works hard but lacks quality. £300K signing so what else can we expect. 

4 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Just don't think he's championship quality sadly. Hasn't got real pace, crossing poor together with decision making. League 1 at best.

Chatting to QPR mates they have heard rumours that he may be going to them in Jan. Ainsworth link. If Ainsworth survives! 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

No, we remain such losers as you put it because the Owner of the club is a poor decision maker when it comes to football. Fans giving an opinion on a forum literally make **** all difference to what Steve does and how it affects the playing side of the club.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We didn't throw much money at it did we. Was more accessible for one, but there is no magic formula. The big time for it was January 2008..Carle and Adebola okay but you really need a bit more, to fast track a few things.

As I remember it the Championship that year was a very poor standard and we should have gone up automatically for sure. I think Stoke invested about £6M in the Jan window which ultimately got them over the line. As you say we only brought in a couple of players for c£800k which wasn’t enough. It was the first indication for me that Lansdown didn’t fancy promotion and we only made the play-offs due to the aforementioned reason and Gary Johnson’s leadership. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I thought Williams was our best player today.

Their 8, Camara, is some player IMHO.

Yep, he was superb, one of the best performances from an opposition player (league game) I’ve seen in a while.  I didn’t see much from Ampadu as Camara was everywhere.

On our side I thought Dickie and Naismith were good, Pring too, whilst James won loads of possession back for us.

But there was a class divide out there today.

50 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think those who were perplexed and pining for Mehmeti to get minutes are now finding out why he’s had limited game time  

I was more frustrated that nobody gave him any support when he got the ball.  He put a couple of threatening crosses in.

• Like 2