IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Ego and emotion - two things that seem to be ruling SL’s actions at the moment - perhaps even jealous of NP’s popularity. Imagine if NP actually got us up, it would be all about the miracle job NP has done, not what SL has built.

So he continues to seemingly tie one of Nige’s hands behind his back, despite the job he is doing.

This is the part that defies all logic to me, like if SL wants his ego stroked then work work NP, imagine NP does get that promotion after SL works hand in hand with NP and helps push the plans forward. He could very well win back a lot of fans. 

It does make me question how out of touch SL is with the fans as I think all of the fans would sing his praises if he supported someone like NP. Imagine SL speaks to NP, they talk out NPs plans and it all goes well, the fans will remember that whilst NP did the work on the pitch SL would be the man supporting him in a way to allow NP to make that pitch magic happen. 

SL will never be the first man the fans thank, even if next year we're in the Premier League he won't be thanked for all of the improvements to the stadium, the training ground etc until after NP has been praised, but that's football. Short of SL giving himself the managers position and leading us into the Premier League the manager and players will always be the first to be praised. 

If SL really doesn't understand that NP is the first man to fully take control of this club and get everyone on the same wavelength in a very long time then we're just going to lose NP and probably end up going in circles for years. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I like Nige and can appreciate the ways he has improved the club, but if I was in SL's shoes I'm not sure I'd give him a new deal at this point, I'd want to be more certain of our league position towards the end of the season. Team results have been inconsistent and although we moved up to 8th with our win yesterday we were close to being 16th or 17th had Coventry been able to shoot straight, it's too early yet to envisage where we're likely to end up. There's no reason to rush since Nige isn't a young up and coming manager who other clubs are likely to poach or tempt him away, he's generally seen as difficult to deal with. He's not improving his chances of a new deal by talking to the Press about perceived incompetence at Board level, that usually only ends in one way (I think it may have been affected by his recent illness).

If he wants to stay it's quite simple, if we're still in say the top 8 in March then I'm sure he'll be offered, say, a 12-month rolling contract but if we're entrenched in the bottom half as in previous years then I think SL will go for a change. Although most people on here want him to have a deal now, that's on the back of a win, if we'd lost yesterday then that would have been four defeats in five and opinions would be different. I hope he does well and is given a new deal, there's no point in changing for the sake of it like they do at most other clubs, but we have to show we can challenge in the top half at least.

I understand where you are coming from but I think a lot of it is about communication.

Obviously we don’t know what has happened but, although the end result is the same, there is a world of difference between the board taking the manager aside and saying “look, we’re happy with how things are going and we hope to offer you a new contract in February or March as long as we’re showing consistency” and the board leaving the manager to stew with no info on what their intentions are.

At the moment, there are some fans who are under the impression SL and the board have made their minds up not to keep NP and are just waiting for an excuse to justify a decision to get rid of him.

I have no idea if that is true or not but, if it is not, the board need to make sure Pearson doesn’t perceive that to the case too.

• Admin

Reading between the lines of everything, it seems Nigel expected some talk of his contract situation during the recent international break but instead was handed an ultimatum to pick up results against Cov and Ipswich or else! (With a depleted squad very much related to budget restrictions)

39 minutes ago, 2015 said:

All I know is Pearson's contract won't be renewed from what I've heard. The Lansdowns will face a massive backlash from the fans and the best way to hit them is by not renewing ST and stop buying the merch (see what AC Milan ultras did).

Unfortunately this is where I am currently. Been renewing for years now but my head is telling me that with SL in charge we will remain in mid-table obscurity for years whoever is the manager.

I love this club but I cannot keep shelling out so much money on tickets and merchandise when the hope for anything remotely resembling success has finally gone.

Steve with his arrogance will not care I (and hopefully many others) have not renewed but I will know I have shown my contempt for his running of my club and that will do for me until he is finally forced out and I can return 👍🏻

17 years now since we have finished top 6 in the championship - FOL’s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Olé said:

To this day one of the most defining moments of the club since we got back to the Championship was an SL interview with Radio Bristol when in doing what he thought was attempting to draw fire away from LJ, he clumsily bigged up the fact that he would actually have calls with LJ on the Friday night before a game and on the Sunday after to debrief, as (his words - or at least something along these lines) a means for LJ to have someone to discuss his plans with.

At the time I thought it was very very odd and was quite surprised more wasn't made of it, I'd love to find the transcript again. It's why the appointment of Dean Holden was completely predictable and is why Nigel Pearson has always had a limited lifespan at Ashton Gate and he knows it (hence the constant comments about whether or not he is the one to finish the job or someone else will do so). NP knows very very well what SL wants from a manager - sorry Head Coach.

Pearson has done everything this club has badly needed - shed the bloated squad of indulged signings and average squad players, brought though youth, and created a tight unit and culture that we haven't had since the last promotion side. I also think he's created a sense of leadership and accountability that now runs through the footballing operation (whether explicitly or just by exposure to his standards). None of that is as important as the access that SL is missing.

Nige was always a strange fit for Lansdown. Just what we needed but guaranteed to be plainspeaking and bound to ruffle the sensitive feathers of the owner. 

3 hours ago, eardun said:

Must admit I’m more worried about this article in the Post. I hope the medics can establish the cause of this quickly and Nige can get better soon. My money is on this clouding the contract situation as well. 

“Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson has revealed he is dealing with an unspecified neurological issue that is the source of his back problem and the reason he’s needed to walk with the aid of crutches for the last six weeks.

Pearson has been hampered by the ailment since the September international break, which has left the Robins boss in constant pain and unable to move without two crutches by his side. 

The 60-year-old has continued to work through the discomfort and obvious logistical difficulties and has been in charge for each of City’s seven matches since, although he’s had to spend the majority of the 90 minutes either seated in the dugout or stands.

He’s undergone a series of tests, which have confirmed he requires back surgery but has also linked it with his brain and/or nerve damage, and while the root of the issue is yet to be discovered, Pearson has thankfully ruled out anything particularly serious, such as cancer.”

https://x.com/bristolcitylive/status/1716007990162018375?s=46&t=Lrw08Dd2QjCu1binMEvLeQ

I really feel for Nige. He's an outdoorsy guy that likes to hike and can't do that.

2 hours ago, BS30 City said:

Seen a few snippets on social media saying that Gary Rowett is being lined up

I was thinking yesterday that I could imagine Rowett being our next boss...

4 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

This forum has become an echo chamber. Everyone is assuming Nigel refers to the Lansdowns but from what I hear, there is a tense relationship with our DoF and that is what Nigel is referring to. 

This is certainly an aspect of Pearson’s interview which hadn’t really been explored as yet. 
We know that Tinnion has a lot more control over ‘footballing’ matters now. 

What if, for example, there had been talk of the out of contract players in the summer - King & James specifically. 

What if, Nigel sees both of them as important figures in continuing his progression to turn the club around. 

What of Nigel wants both James & King to be offered new deals. 

What if Brian disagrees and thinks we need to get “younger and quicker and more energetic” in the midfield area (ie more Jason Knight’s type). 

What if such conversations about contract extensions for James and King might have resulted in Brian ‘suggesting’ that King won’t get a new deal next year as he shouldn’t even be in the team now? 

All what ifs, but Tinnion would be the only person of the hierarchy who would be in regular contact with Nigel. I doubt Jon and Steve have been anywhere near Nige for months. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Meh said:

Unfortunately this is where I am currently. Been renewing for years now but my head is telling me that with SL in charge we will remain in mid-table obscurity for years whoever is the manager.

I love this club but I cannot keep shelling out so much money on tickets and merchandise when the hope for anything remotely resembling success has finally gone.

Steve with his arrogance will not care I (and hopefully many others) have not renewed but I will know I have shown my contempt for his running of my club and that will do for me until he is finally forced out and I can return 👍🏻

17 years now since we have finished top 6 in the championship - FOL’s

I haven't been since his infamous "it's my club and I will do what I want speech". That really grated with me and I took a stance then. This after being a regular for 46 years. When I was 16 which was in 1982 I was spending every single penny I earned on following City home and away and that speech of his really did anger me. I now follow the local non league scene where I know my money is greatly appreciated. I was at a local match recently where I met up with 3 other ex long standing season ticket holders and they all said the same that they would not return with SL at the helm. Bristol City is still in my blood and I follow as closely as I can but I will not return whilst SL is still the owner.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Nige was always a strange fit for Lansdown. Just what we needed but guaranteed to be plainspeaking and bound to ruffle the sensitive feathers of the owner. 

I really feel for Nige. He's an outdoorsy guy that likes to hike and can't do that.

I was thinking yesterday that I could imagine Rowett being our next boss...

Rowett is not a yes man so don't think it will happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All Steve Lansdown has to do is look at the league table. With the amount of players who have left the club, and the replacements signed on a meagre budget, City’s position is amazing. A new contract for Nigel, together with a long term plan to support him, should be  obvious. However, we’re dealing with Steve Lansdown, a good financial businessman but a football novice, so nothing can be regarded as obvious .    

IMG_4949.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Was apparently also to be on the ‘list’ of candidates we wanted to interview when LJ went, but wasn’t interested. 

You mean he was identified as part of the vigorous inter-planetary headhunting mission?! What an honour!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I really hope the comeback to that was, “why the **** did you pick Dean Holden, you football cretin.”

I saw someone suggesting it may have been Tinnion questioning King's selection over academy players, would make sense. Who else in the hierarchy does NP actually speak to?

• Like 1

Few posts on here referencing JL and the board.

Worth noting that the board consists of JL and Gavin Marshall, thats it.Tinnion has the title of Technical Director but he's not a board member, although he should be with the duties he is now apparently carrying out.

• Like 1

If Nige is sailing a lone ship against SL, JL, and Tins, then I think his days are numbered.  It does seem however that the players seem to be with him judging by the warm embraces at the end of games. I also think most fans are now pro Nige which was not always the case. 

So if SL is thinking of making a change, still hypothetical of course, and ends up with another yes man, what will the reaction be.

Well for me, after almost 70 years support and countless managers and coaches and seeing us in the top division and the bottom division, it will probably be the end. Nige is rebuilding slowly and surely and that is better than instant fix followed by instant failure. If the top men can't see what's happening then we have the wrong men at the top.

If Nige gets sacked then there will be no renewal from me next season and I may not even see this one out. I'm too old to wait for another clear out and rebuild scenario. I honestly don't think we are too far away under Nige. But then, it's not my club or money as I've been told.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, David Brent said:

It would be very disappointing if Tinnion has more involvement in footballing matters than he deserves. 

Tinnion can obviously spot a player but we’ve got a head coach. 

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Tins had always said he gets on well with Nige, I think this is just guesswork at play and shouldn't be taken as gospel 

I understand he has a very good working relationship with NP but not always agreeing as you'd expect. 

Tinnion no doubt would like to see a young player given an opportunity and I think it would be perfectly ok for him to query the decision to play King over a promising youngster given his role imo. Not that I'm suggesting it was him. 

1 minute ago, Tony Tootle said:

I get the feeling that Pearson will decide to retire at the end of the season. If he gets offered an extension he’ll accept but if he doesn’t he’ll pack it in.

I suppose a lot depends on this health issue. To be honest, I find it more concerning than rumours of rifts with Tinnion or rows with the Lansdowns. 

If you're in chronic pain, you may well decide to step away from a very demanding job. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Time for change.

There is Stockholm Syndrome with the Lansdowns. We could and should thrive without them and thats nothing to be frightened of.

Break it to make it. Nigel Pearson is the best manager (comparably) since Terry Cooper that this club has had and should be offered the chance to grow what he has seeded. Good on him for speaking out.

I will always love this club but if he leaves under these circumstances then I’ll take a watching, but distant brief for a bit.

In my time of watching City I don't think I've ever seen such a hard working committed City team. Yesterday's result was simply down to that. 

If Nige is kicked out of the club then I'll not be renewing my ST for the first time in 20 odd years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

All I know is Pearson's contract won't be renewed from what I've heard. The Lansdowns will face a massive backlash from the fans and the best way to hit them is by not renewing ST and stop buying the merch (see what AC Milan ultras did).

One step ahead of you on the merch...

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I suppose a lot depends on this health issue. To be honest, I find it more concerning than rumours of rifts with Tinnion or rows with the Lansdowns. 

If you're in chronic pain, you may well decide to step away from a very demanding job. 

I`m guessing he can`t even drive at the moment either so that`s another bit of hassle he has to deal with. Those long coach trips aren`t much fun with a back problem either speaking as one who`s done it in the past.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1