IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

32 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But then , you and your two co-horts wanted him sacked not long ago

Still , when you get your wish , what comes next will get you moaning for the next few years 

Take it you won't be watching or listening then?

For a number of weeks I've been calling for Nige to be given a rolling 12 month contract from now so give it a rest.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Very peculiar comments from NP. A man on borrowed time?

I don’t think we will get anyone currently available who is any better than NP so for that reason he should stay for another season for me. 

What concerns me with the comments is that it’s leaving either side with little room for PR manoeuvre to claim that both sides are aligned. Pearson is too football savvy not to know this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

"Why don't you ask someone above me, see if you can find anyone that will say anything"

Doesn't that just speak volumes. Start putting the football club first again. Show some interest or sell to someone who will.

But as history tells us, Nige has probably just talked himself out of the job.

True cotts and Nige not yes men his card is marked.

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

For a number of weeks I've been calling for Nige to be given a rolling 12 month contract from now so give it a rest.

a 12 month rolling contract - Wow that’s real confidence and backing 

If you were honest you’d admit None of you have supported or recognised what he’s been doing 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Ask for XTC on the pre match playlist…see if they have the balls to play it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the game on Wednesday.

Woah, some kind of showdown if anything happens re this interview, when we're against bloody Ipswich and Mashton too. 

I just searched XTC on Spotify. What a banger, nice one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh I do. To my knowledge Gould was a bit of a buffer, or mediator, between the owners and Pearson. He didn't always see eye to eye with Pearson, but he was able to manage the manager whilst also keeping the owner happy. That's a skill that we missed under Alexander. Without Gould there's no salve to heal the abrasion between Pearson and the owner.

I'd also give Gould the bulk of the credit for the FFP reset. Pearson dealt with the impact of that reset on the squad, but Gould was the CEO dealing with the numbers, with the owner, and with the financial lads at Bristol Sport.

I was genuinely upset when Gould left. Not angry because I don't begrudge a man taking the job of a lifetime, but honestly I was annoyed. I felt that was the point where we really lost all possibility of promotion any time soon.

I think by the way that Gould + Pearson would have led to steady progression towards a high finish, possibly even top 6. I don't think [A. N. Other] + Pearson is going to get us there. The new board room structure is even more shit and gives us even less hope.

Maybe that's me being a Gould sycophant, and thus I'm a hypocrite, but you asked so I'll answer.

Appreciate the detailed response mate. I heard that like you say Gould was excellent in that mediation role. Whilst he and Nige didn't necessarily see eye to eye early doors, by the end there was a great deal of respect. 

I also heard that Gould wasn't necessarily the best football administrator. But given the circumstances,  and support around him, maybe that wasn't so key. In fairness, that's not where his experience lied either. 

However, as key a role as he may of had, I can't accept his role is more key than the manager of the football club, particularly Nige in his overarching role. 

Nige is responsible for the good and bad right now, and his future at the club completely depends on results.

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

a 12 month rolling contract - Wow that’s real confidence and backing 

If you were honest you’d admit None of you have supported or recognised what he’s been doing 

I don't disagree but it takes the "pressure" off the Lansdown's in the present. It is only asking them to commit to an extra 6 months on his present deal if they worried about a big payout to someone who calls them out on their failings.

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I don't disagree but it takes the "pressure" off the Lansdown's in the present. It is only asking them to commit to an extra 6 months on his present deal if they worried about a big payout to someone who calls them out on their failings.

That’s a fair point.  

I suspect the minds already been made up, which presents a huge potential problem for the ownership in the near future, depending on where City are in the table. 

• Like 1

Well if SL or his mini me don't open talks fairly quickly, Nige will be looking at other options and he may be off at the end of the season whether they want him gone or not 

Whilst I don't like him much based on the way he deals with yhe media, he seems to have created a culture and work ethic in the club which was sadly lacking before he came.  He has brought on some youngsters and has lost a few of his best players.  He is also hamstrung by a small squad and reduced wage budget.

Even against this backdrop he has managed us up to 8th place in the division and in my view done a very good job with more than one hand tied behind his back and clearly deserves a new contract, whether it be for another year, two years or a rolling 12 months.

It would be such a shame if he left when he is still probably only half way through a pretty ling term project and other than the journos he has upset I haven't really heard a bad word said against him from anyone who really counts.

Maybe the Lansdowns want a yes man and Nigel is inclined to say, or at least insinuate, what he thinks but I think it would be a big mistake to let him go as things stand.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I don’t think an offer of what you point out is in essence a six month extension would impress NP or the vast majority of the fanbase

You either back him or you dont

I remain of the opinion that he’s right in the conversation for the best we’ve had in my lifetime and has earns the right to be backed 

If Lansdowns worried about a pay off maybe Jon could put the new infinity pool on hold

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, headhunter said:

To chime in, 12 month rolling deal is pretty ungenerous given his work to date and doubt so while resources being cut and accepting it when it really was, without complaint.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

his future at the club completely depends on results.

I won't disagree with that, as much as I don't think it's a wise way to run things.

I will disagree that the manager is the most important role. My opinion is that in the modern game/business the CEO is the most important person at a football club. I think you see at other clubs that when you have a good board and good off field administration, then a manager can flourish.

Crucially, that can allow a manager to outperform what they otherwise would achieve. 

Hence my hope that Gould + Pearson might get us promoted, maybe. Gould takes the heat from Lansdown and the fans so Pearson concentrates on the football and maybe outperforms and gets us up. Without that, we're in trouble.

I think the biggest red flag of recent weeks is the destruction of the CEO role rather than Nigel Pearson's contract situation. That's what tells you the most about the ownership's current issues.

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I think what makes it even more worrying for me, is without the right person with the right experience and personality and aura, I.e how Pearson is now, we will completely fall like a house of cards again because of the structure up top. 

There is no mediator. There’s basically 3 people doing 5 peoples jobs, one of which with all due respect is very inexperienced. 

If we end up with the wrong man next, with no one up top knowing what they’re doing either, and an owner who’s desperate to sell up, we’ll be Holden Dec ‘20 - Feb ‘21 era in quick fashion, with the training ground basically becoming a crèche again. 

Absolutely spot on

Said before , all Pearson’s hard work and the culture he’s built / building could be destroyed in Months if not weeks 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To chime in, 12 month rolling deal is pretty ungenerous given his work to date and doubt so while resources being cut and accepting it when it really was, without complaint.

Lee Johnson got a huge new deal during one of the worst losing runs in the clubs history. Nige isn't getting a new deal despite the laundry list of positives he has delivered. Lansdown should be on his knees kissing Nige's size 11 Air Force 1s begging for him to stay another 3 years. 

Favourites. The old mates club strikes again.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree it is not generous but Nige strikes me as the sort of guy who would say enough is enough regardless of any contract length.

I think he is at a stage of his life when football isn't his be all and end all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think what makes it even more worrying for me, is without the right person with the right experience and personality and aura, I.e how Pearson is now, we will completely fall like a house of cards again because of the structure up top. IMO what’s stopping it from being like that now, is the culture and leadership Pearson has instilled. He’s been the face of the club for 11 months now basically. Having to explain pretty much all the ins and outs for things that aren’t even his remit. 

There is no mediator. There’s basically 3 people doing 5 peoples jobs, one of which with all due respect is very inexperienced. 

If we end up with the wrong man next, with no one up top knowing what they’re doing either, and an owner who’s desperate to sell up, we’ll be Holden Dec ‘20 - Feb ‘21 era in quick fashion, with the training ground basically becoming a crèche again. 

Can't argue with that Pete 👍

• Like 5

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This must be something to do with a potential sale, no?

SL has had a lot of grief in recent months: first over the lack of investment following the sale of Scott and now this. While I agree with most, that this doesn’t reflect well on SL, it does seem to me that he’s preparing for a fairly imminent sale…

He’s making us more financially attractive and doesn’t have a manager under a whopping long contract (that future owners might want to replace at some point).

We might not like it right now, in the short term, but if this strategy results in us in getting the best possible new owner then isn’t this actually good stewardship from SL and good for Bristol City?

(it’s always good to play devils advocate a bit otherwise people just keep whipping each other up into hysteria)

• Like 1

It would appear to me that the majority can see what a top job NP & his staff have done under very difficult conditions. In my 65+ yrs as a supporter I don't think I've seen us in better hands & it appears that SL has turned his back on such an obvious opportunity to achieve.

I know you have to be careful what you wish for but I'm now hoping SL gets out of this club, I appreciate what stability his finances have given us but his priorities are now totally out of whack imo

• Like 4

1 minute ago, B-Rizzle said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This must be something to do with a potential sale, no?

SL has had a lot of grief in recent months: first over the lack of investment following the sale of Scott and now this. While I agree with most, that this doesn’t reflect well on SL, it does seem to me that he’s preparing for a fairly imminent sale…

He’s making us more financially attractive and doesn’t have a manager under a whopping long contract (that future owners might want to replace at some point).

We might not like it right now, in the short term, but if this strategy results in us in getting the best possible new owner then isn’t this actually good stewardship from SL and good for Bristol City?

(it’s always good to play devils advocate a bit otherwise people just keep whipping each other up into hysteria)

There’s no potential sale. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think what makes it even more worrying for me, is without the right person with the right experience and personality and aura, I.e how Pearson is now, we will completely fall like a house of cards again because of the structure up top. IMO what’s stopping it from being like that now, is the culture and leadership Pearson has instilled. He’s been the face of the club for 11 months now basically. Having to explain pretty much all the ins and outs for things that aren’t even his remit. 

So the real answer for any long term progress is to sort out the board level of the club, not just put an increasingly tired and ****** off Nigel Pearson on a new contract.

That's all I'm saying, Pearson alone is not the silver bullet for our problems.

If people are suggesting a short extension of Pearson to allow the board level tidy up to occur then fine, but I've no confidence in Lansdown to do that.

Thus it matters not if it's Pearson or another in the dugout, the course is already set regardless of who is at the helm.

• Like 2