IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

I'm as pissed of with the ownership as many of us are. The governance is cack, the communication is cack, the off field stuff is a mees.

But. Look at Pearson's history as well. It's not exactly unusual for Pearson to end up falling out with the owners of the club he manages at.

He often ends up leaving due to falling out with owners. Leicester and Mandaric, Leicester again with the thing with his son, Derby and Morris, he's got a track record. That doesn't mean he's the problem, but it means it's not exactly a surprise that there's an issue.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Still on Wednesday , they can meet up with their grinning old chum , who had them over like a couple of Turkeys ,

Or maybe as a couple of Turkeys , ultimately , they’ve been the consistent problem all along  

Steve actually praised swiss, the man cannot admit being wrong 😑 

• Flames 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

I'm as pissed of with the ownership as many of us are. The governance is cack, the communication is cack, the off field stuff is a mees.

But. Look at Pearson's history as well. It's not exactly unusual for Pearson to end up falling out with the owners of the club he manages at.

He often ends up leaving due to falling out with owners. Leicester and Mandaric, Leicester again with the thing with his son, Derby and Morris, he's got a track record. That doesn't mean he's the problem, but it means it's not exactly a surprise that there's an issue.

A track record of principles. 

• Like 9

I have to say this but 2-3 loses in a row and things suddenly change on this forum as well and people start questioning Nige’s job

I’m all for an extension for him but I can see why SL is being cautious, if this is the reason 

Also, I’m pretty sure Nige has told him some home truths about running a football club and not gone down well 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

On a day when we put out a patchwork side, Matty James gets lampooned and stays on to do a job, Jason Knight ignores illness to give us a great hour and Andy King does a great job filling in and we guts out a 1-0 win we are now talking about hierarchy wanting to make the team selection? What kind of a ******* out fit are we?

I wonder what Andy King thinks btw?

He did a good job today and last season when he covered at centre back. Pearson can only work with what he's got. Let the football people do the football, the hierarchy need to worry about writing cheques.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingswood Robin said:

He did a good job today and last season when he covered at centre back. Pearson can only work with what he's got. Let the football people do the football, the hierarchy need to worry about writing cheques.

Jon can’t sign them, pretty sure you can’t use crayons 

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I have to say this but 2-3 loses in a row and things suddenly change on this forum as well and people start questioning Nige’s job

I’m all for an extension for him but I can see why SL is being cautious, if this is the reason 

Also, I’m pretty sure Nige has told him some home truths about running a football club and not gone down well 

Yea but that’s mostly the clowns who stay quiet and disappear when we’re doing well.

Anyone with a modicum of sense knows how well Pearson has done here. He had his blip after the WC when it looked like we’d gone horrendously backwards and he fixed it.

The fans need to be heard in support of Pearson on Wednesday, especially for a game we’re not likely to win anyway (let’s be honest!)

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He got Leicester up under Mandaric, they didn’t fall out, and Mel Morris is arguable up there as one of worst people to ever own a football club in fairness. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Do nothing, mid table Championship (if we’re lucky), spunking millions up the wall for a few years before we need to seriously tighten the purse strings again to keep our heads above FFP water...

...and if that happens again, we won't have an NP to restructure and help to save us! Or Gould for thst matter.

Hello League One??

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Still on Wednesday , they can meet up with their grinning old chum , who had them over like a couple of Turkeys ,

Or maybe as a couple of Turkeys , ultimately , they’ve been the consistent problem all along  

I did wonder whether SL had seen what was going on at Ipswich and convinced himself that he was right all along - Ashton with a progressive young coach was the way to go. He’s already let Ashton into the henhouse twice, he was clearly sorry to lose him and I wonder if the job McKenna is doing is viewed by SL as some sort of vindication, and the longer Ipswich go on, the more he errs towards “let’s go there again” and away from the very good job Nige is doing.

He’s made the same mistake twice. When there is cause (however misguided) to think you were right, it’s easy to make a very similar mistake.

Wednesday feels huge for a lot of reasons….

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 3

What I find odd is that SL comes from the financial services industry where there are always objectional and difficult individuals working for companies yet they get kept on because they make the money and the results.

I don’t understand why SL does not run the club in the same way as in the business world where he clearly has been successful. He does not employ Pearson to be a yes man, he was brought in to get the club out of self-inflicted mire which clearly he’s been doing, so not to extend the contract or at least start a conversation about it does make you think that this is a more personal issue rather than a football one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He got Leicester up under Mandaric, they didn’t fall out, and Mel Morris is arguable up there as one of worst people to ever own a football club in fairness. 

From a BBC article at the time.

"People can say what they want, but the bottom line is that I resigned, and my decision was based on the fact that if they wanted to keep me, if they'd shown any inclination to do that - then they could have done."

At the time, Foxes chairman Milan Mandaric said they had "reluctantly" allowed Pearson to move on.

But Pearson added: "When you're on holiday and you find out that the consortium that subsequently takes over [the club] has been shown round while you're the manager and you don't know anything about it, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what's happening."

Don't worry, I'm not slandering St. Nigel, but you can't deny that he has a history of having issues with owners. Honestly if he's ever stick to his principles whilst thinking he's going to win against the million/billionaire that employs him ...then he needs to have a think on his priorities.

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

May IIRC, which is far and away the shortest amount of time any manager I can remember has ever had left on a deal. 

And I don't think we'll get to May and it just being a case of Nige seeing out his contract and then walking away with handshakes all round and everyone's best wishes. He'll have either signed an extension or, as seems more likely after that interview, already left by "mutual consent".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

And I don't think we'll get to May and it just being a case of Nige seeing out his contract and then walking away with handshakes all round and everyone's best wishes. He'll have either signed an extension or, as seems more likely after that interview, already left by "mutual consent".

Got a nasty feeling he’ll walk before may 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, RobImps said:

Been a long term reader on here without ever signing up or commenting.

However...

This was worth the signing up and getting involved.

Surely about time we on the terraces were physically heard with our support for big Nige? Doesn't have to be original or witty... But a loud, repetitive chorus of support week in/out is hard to be ignored.

Think he's done a really solid job without the slightest bit of public support from SL or the board ( a question which should be asked to those in charge... If ever there available and public!)

Exactly this. Long time reader but never posted. I’d echo the need for the fans to make their views known on match days.

I’d go further and say he’s building the best thing I’ve seen at the club in the 25 years I’ve been going. I’d be totally gutted if this were torn apart for the Lansdowns’ own agenda.

Edited by sw_bcfc
  • Like 8
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, RobImps said:

Surely about time we on the terraces were physically heard with our support for big Nige? Doesn't have to be original or witty... But a loud, repetitive chorus of support week in/out is hard to be ignored.

I was thinking the same. If at every game there was vocal support for NP the message should get across.

The devil in me also thinks there should be a similar amount of vocal comment on what does JL actually do.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

From a BBC article at the time.

"People can say what they want, but the bottom line is that I resigned, and my decision was based on the fact that if they wanted to keep me, if they'd shown any inclination to do that - then they could have done."

At the time, Foxes chairman Milan Mandaric said they had "reluctantly" allowed Pearson to move on.

But Pearson added: "When you're on holiday and you find out that the consortium that subsequently takes over [the club] has been shown round while you're the manager and you don't know anything about it, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what's happening."

Don't worry, I'm not slandering St. Nigel, but you can't deny that he has a history of having issues with owners. Honestly if he's ever stick to his principles whilst thinking he's going to win against the million/billionaire that employs him ...then he needs to have a think on his priorities.

It’s not about winning. It’s about a football man having personal pride and knowing when he isn’t wanted any more. If Steve allows that to happen Nige will walk and I don’t blame him one iota.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

NP has always stuck to his principles, he’s not employed to be a bit of fawning PR fluff for a millionaire owner, he’s there to be a football manager and get the best out of the squad of players he inherits or builds. For once we’ve got a decent coaching structure in place with everyone of the same hymn sheet. Madness to do anything to undermine that. All managers have a shelf life with a club and Pearson should not be anywhere near his right now.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I did wonder whether SL had seen what was going on at Ipswich and convinced himself that he was right all along - Ashton with a progressive young coach was the way to go. He’s already let Ashton into the henhouse twice, he was clearly sorry to lose him and I wonder if the job McKenna is doing is viewed by SL as some sort of vindication, and the longer Ipswich go on, the more he errs towards “let’s go there again” and away from the very good job Nige is doing.

He’s made the same mistake twice. When there is cause (however misguided) to think you were right, it’s easy to make a very similar mistake.

Wednesday feels huge for a lot of reasons….

City were in the same position as Ipswich in 2017 , it will be interesting to see if Ipswich can sustain this after Xmas and how quickly their accountants sniff a financial problem?

8 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Would love to see some public support of Nige in the ground on Wednesday night. Don't really care what format it takes - banner, song, whatever.

Been saying this for ages but nothing ever happens. I don’t think we appreciate Nige enough…

Yet we were singing ‘Johnson bounce around’ to the biggest fraud in football.

• Like 10
  • Flames 3