IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

The irony of murmurs within the hierarchy of the club regarding Kings inclusion and the restrictive self imposed playing budget set by the same hierarchy, resulting in us operating such a thin squad, I am sure is not lost on Nige.

The hierarchy are fast losing the fan base. Give him a new deal and a proper budget to compete.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The more I think about this, the more convinced I become that it's just a matter of when, not if, the trigger is pulled on Nige. 

I think it's becoming very obvious that his contract is not going to be renewed and it's incredibly rare for a manager to have a long-term contract and simply work until it expires, then leave. So that leaves two options, either poached by another club (v unlikely) or the sack/mutual consent.

It sounds to me like he has either been given an ultimatum on achieving results or get the sack, or possibly has got wind of that ultimatum, and it wasn't meant to be conveyed to him personally. 

He was a game away from being sacked twice last season, and survived by avoiding defeat in several key games. 

I said at the start of the season that he would probably be given even less breathing space this season and it seems like that is the case, and on top of that there has now evidently been a falling out of sorts that Nige has chosen to make public. 

It all points to only one outcome unfortunately, and I think the only way Nige avoids the sack is by going on some ludicrously great run of form, or being in the top 6. 

I suspect we are in a scenario where the Lansdowns are just waiting for the optimal time to fire him whilst ensuring they get the least amount of blowback. Probably a couple of defeats on the spin, or a drop in league position into the bottom half.

It may also depend on who they are looking at as a replacement. Some obvious names to them may be Nathan Jones, John Eustace, or Gary Rowett.

I wouldn't be surprised if our former u-23s coach Luke Williams, who has done a fine job at Notts C, was in the conversation too. Apparently retains a good relationship with Tinnion. 

Maybe I've overthought it, but those remarks from Nige yesterday were fairly unprecedented, and I just feel the end can't be too far away now. 

The only way he can save himself is to achieve an outstanding set of results, which seems a tall ask given the current state of the squad.

All sounds there or thereabouts to me, Will. Would be very disappointed however if they’re getting rid mainly because he’s strong and tells Junior what he thinks of him (which has been suggested)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

The irony of murmurs within the hierarchy of the club regarding Kings inclusion and the restrictive self imposed playing budget set by the same hierarchy, resulting in us operating such a thin squad, I am sure is not lost on Nige.

The hierarchy are fast losing the fan base. Give him a new deal and a proper budget to compete.

It's not lost on any of us either. 

I think the majority of us thought that we needed to sign another cb in the summer, which we failed to do. 

We didn't need to splash the cash, just a similar amount that we spent on Dickie which has turned out to be a very astute signing. Had we of done that, we now wouldn't need to play King at CB. 

Same goes for playing him in midfield. We should have signed another midfielder too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The more I think about this, the more convinced I become that it's just a matter of when, not if, the trigger is pulled on Nige. 

I think it's becoming very obvious that his contract is not going to be renewed and it's incredibly rare for a manager to have a long-term contract and simply work until it expires, then leave. So that leaves two options, either poached by another club (v unlikely) or the sack/mutual consent.

It sounds to me like he has either been given an ultimatum on achieving results or get the sack, or possibly has got wind of that ultimatum, and it wasn't meant to be conveyed to him personally. 

He was a game away from being sacked twice last season, and survived by avoiding defeat in several key games. 

I said at the start of the season that he would probably be given even less breathing space this season and it seems like that is the case, and on top of that there has now evidently been a falling out of sorts that Nige has chosen to make public. 

It all points to only one outcome unfortunately, and I think the only way Nige avoids the sack is by going on some ludicrously great run of form, or being in the top 6. 

I suspect we are in a scenario where the Lansdowns are just waiting for the optimal time to fire him whilst ensuring they get the least amount of blowback. Probably a couple of defeats on the spin, or a drop in league position into the bottom half.

It may also depend on who they are looking at as a replacement. Some obvious names to them may be Nathan Jones, John Eustace, or Gary Rowett.

I wouldn't be surprised if our former u-23s coach Luke Williams, who has done a fine job at Notts C, was in the conversation too. Apparently retains a good relationship with Tinnion. 

Maybe I've overthought it, but those remarks from Nige yesterday were fairly unprecedented, and I just feel the end can't be too far away now. 

The only way he can save himself is to achieve an outstanding set of results, which seems a tall ask given the current state of the squad.

100% mate. 
I’ve thought for a while now that it’s a case of when not if. 
Not a single thought of mine has given credence to SL extending Nige’s contract. It’s been obvious to me for a few months now that he wasn’t going to be here next season. 
But now, with the comments Nige has made public (and he’s no fool, so there would be clear intent in his decision to do so), it’s becoming clear that he won’t be seeing out the season, and highly likely to be a lot sooner than that. 

What an absolute ****show 

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Yep OT I have done…

Thank you Dean and Nigel

Here is the current poll result, based on responses from circa 500 fans on the OTIB forum: 

Does Nigel Pearson deserve a contract renewal?

• Yes- 24 Months 84% 421 votes
  • Yes - 12 Months 14%  71 votes 
  • No - 2%                        12 votes 

Nice one mate! 

• Like 1

In my experience if a senior member of staff starts speaking out publicly against owners/CEOs, there's usually one outcome. The owner/ CEO may not be far behind in their departure because the person criticising is often correct, but they're not usually the first to go.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by Red from afar
  • Robin 1

40 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Yep OT I have done…

Thank you Dean and Nigel

Here is the current poll result, based on responses from circa 500 fans on the OTIB forum: 

Does Nigel Pearson deserve a contract renewal?

• Yes- 24 Months 84% 421 votes
  • Yes - 12 Months 14%  71 votes 
  • No - 2%                        12 votes 

Thanks for doing this. Now we need to find a way of getting our message across to the board too. Some banners would be good before it’s too late. Not sure where to even start with that

Where I do have some sympathy with the Lansdowns is Nige's health. A current as yet undiagnosed neurological condition that is basically making Nige immobile would have to be a consideration if you are thinking about giving him a longer contract.  It sounds quite concerning to me.

Football is a ruthless business and, where possible, you do need everyone firing at 100%. 

Nige seems unbothered by it, which is a great mentality to have, but I think we have to accept it must be at least a point of consideration for the owners going forward. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Where I do have some sympathy with the Lansdowns is Nige's health. A current as yet undiagnosed neurological condition that is basically making Nige immobile would have to be a consideration if you are thinking about giving him a longer contract.  It sounds quite concerning to me.

Football is a ruthless business and, where possible, you do need everyone firing at 100%. 

Nige seems unbothered by it, which is a great mentality to have, but I think we have to accept it must be at least a point of consideration for the owners going forward. 

I’m wondering if this is where the irritated bit is coming from, asking his bosses for some clarity or assurances despite his condition but not hearing anything back

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think part of his anger is clearly (in my mind) that he’s had no question or concern from the Lansdown’s about his health and how he’s doing. I think the ‘go try find someone who isn’t me to tell you’ comment I think is as pointed toward not knowing about his own contract situation, as well as just there being absolutely no comms at all from them to him for the last little while. 

I think the Nige of old may have even said something more cutting, along the lines of ‘I don’t even know if they work here anymore’ or words to that effect!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In that case don’t you at least speak to the bloke and convey your concerns?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Equality Act applies and must accommodate Nigel’s health issues whatever that might be the club cannot discriminate. It maybe the clubs view is not to renew his contract because of that which I find very distasteful 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think that Wednesday night is the perfect chance to send a message to the owners and create a massive show of support for NP.

Lets have some great and simple chants and keep them going all through the game.

Some decent banners would be good too

I fear it might well be too late.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Could it be that Pearson is peed off with Lansdown as no contact has been made to see how he actually is following his operation. Bearing in mind that Lansdown made the effort to attend a Bears match and host a q and a. Would it have been too much trouble to drive 20 minutes to Nailsea and call in on Nige to wish him well.

NP has not had an operation, his condition is as yet undiagnosed, he is waiting on further test results before a prognosis is reached, and a treatment plan is implemented, rest assured he is having the very best informed advice that money can buy.

There is a great deal of speculation around NP and SL, but is there anyone who genuinely knows what that relationship is like? Very few I would suggest. Does NP crave praise? Doesn’t seem the type to me. Does SL demand weekly updates, I don’t see why he would.

NP has twice to my knowledge said to the press that they should ask a particular question of the people higher up, to me that means Jon Lansdown not Steve.

Since the sacking of the CEO there is no one between NP and JL in the food chain.

8 hours ago, Olé said:

To this day one of the most defining moments of the club since we got back to the Championship was an SL interview with Radio Bristol when in doing what he thought was attempting to draw fire away from LJ, he clumsily bigged up the fact that he would actually have calls with LJ on the Friday night before a game and on the Sunday after to debrief, as (his words - or at least something along these lines) a means for LJ to have someone to discuss his plans with.

At the time I thought it was very very odd and was quite surprised more wasn't made of it, I'd love to find the transcript again. It's why the appointment of Dean Holden was completely predictable and is why Nigel Pearson has always had a limited lifespan at Ashton Gate and he knows it (hence the constant comments about whether or not he is the one to finish the job or someone else will do so). NP knows very very well what SL wants from a manager - sorry Head Coach.

Pearson has done everything this club has badly needed - shed the bloated squad of indulged signings and average squad players, brought though youth, and created a tight unit and culture that we haven't had since the last promotion side. I also think he's created a sense of leadership and accountability that now runs through the footballing operation (whether explicitly or just by exposure to his standards). None of that is as important as the access that SL is missing.

Yep. And to back that up, Lansdown admitted on this forum that he was actually in the dressing room before a crunch tv match against Colchester when Tinnion was in charge, and under pressure. 

Then, after an away game at Hull on the last day of the season, Lansdown said of Sean O'Driscoll "Well, we are still getting used to Sean. He just likes to be left alone to get on with the job." ie I am not getting the access I want. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

would they have someone lined up or will there be a vigorous/rigorous search taking weeks for the next chap?

Surely Jason and Curtis would be out too?

As a matter of principle I think the whole back room chooses to follow him if he goes.

We'd end up with King as caretaker or something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gazred said:

As a matter of principle I think the whole back room chooses to follow him if he goes.

Might as well let Lansdown do it himself. It's what he wants and I would love to see the outcome on the pitch and in the stands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Usually if the back room team aren’t sacked at the same time they wait to be dismissed when the new guy takes over, it’s their livelihood after all, they have bills to pay like the rest of us.

15 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

NP has not had an operation, his condition is as yet undiagnosed, he is waiting on further test results before a prognosis is reached, and a treatment plan is implemented, rest assured he is having the very best informed advice that money can buy.

There is a great deal of speculation around NP and SL, but is there anyone who genuinely knows what that relationship is like? Very few I would suggest. Does NP crave praise? Doesn’t seem the type to me. Does SL demand weekly updates, I don’t see why he would.

NP has twice to my knowledge said to the press that they should ask a particular question of the people higher up, to me that means Jon Lansdown not Steve.

Since the sacking of the CEO there is no one between NP and JL in the food chain.

Tinnion