IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

54 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Where I do have some sympathy with the Lansdowns is Nige's health. A current as yet undiagnosed neurological condition that is basically making Nige immobile would have to be a consideration if you are thinking about giving him a longer contract.  It sounds quite concerning to me.

Football is a ruthless business and, where possible, you do need everyone firing at 100%. 

Nige seems unbothered by it, which is a great mentality to have, but I think we have to accept it must be at least a point of consideration for the owners going forward. 

If the board were in favour of Nige and appreciated his work, you'd think they'd be fine with him letting Curtis do the training and the touchline, with Nige stepping back into a de facto DoF role but essentially still making match day decisions, albeit from a more comfortable place?

It’s not NPs first rodeo.

Feels like he has decided to force the issue. He is not prepared to just hang around and see out his contract. So it’s a case of offer me a new one, great, if not I will force the issue, you sack me and I ride in to the sunset now with a few quid.

Entirely sensible.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Thanks for doing this. Now we need to find a way of getting our message across to the board too. Some banners would be good before it’s too late. Not sure where to even start with that

This one can be re-worked can’t it? 🤣🤣🤣

I jest! A bit!!!

IMG_8856.thumb.jpeg.75b47f87c0ab76091ed5cb8205dc26b8.jpeg
My views on our owners are pretty clear, but as I explained several times before I took a 10-day break, they aren’t extreme, more centred on:

• poor / lack of comms
  • apparent change of strategy - apparent because we’ve not really been told, or we’ve been given a diluted story by PA which seems to be a quick retro-fit of the situation
  • that SL isn’t gifting us £200m, so imho we should stop treating him as if he is

I wonder how this week will play out.

I do fear Nige won’t be here by next week’s match against Cardiff.  And I wonder what that will mean for Fleming, Euell and Rennie, notwithstanding King and James.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This one can be re-worked can’t it? 🤣🤣🤣

I jest! A bit!!!

IMG_8856.thumb.jpeg.75b47f87c0ab76091ed5cb8205dc26b8.jpeg
My views on our owners are pretty clear, but as I explained several times before I took a 10-day break, they aren’t extreme, more centred on:

• poor / lack of comms
  • apparent change of strategy - apparent because we’ve not really been told, or we’ve been given a diluted story by PA which seems to be a quick retro-fit of the situation
  • that SL isn’t gifting us £200m, so imho we should stop treating him as if he is

I wonder how this week will play out.

I do fear Nige won’t be here by next week’s match against Cardiff.  And I wonder what that will mean for Fleming, Euell and Rennie, notwithstanding King and James.

Dave - I saw Mark Kelly’s response to you on Twitter when you raised concerns. Unprofessional as a minimum if you ask me.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Where I do have some sympathy with the Lansdowns is Nige's health. A current as yet undiagnosed neurological condition that is basically making Nige immobile would have to be a consideration if you are thinking about giving him a longer contract.  It sounds quite concerning to me.

Football is a ruthless business and, where possible, you do need everyone firing at 100%. 

Nige seems unbothered by it, which is a great mentality to have, but I think we have to accept it must be at least a point of consideration for the owners going forward. 

So do I but wouldn't you have thought that some discussion has taken place and according to NP no such talks have taken place.

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dave - I saw Mark Kelly’s response to you on Twitter when you raised concerns. Unprofessional as a minimum of you ask me.

I thought it was a real shitty, unprofessional tweet, and I see he hasn’t come back on my response.

IMG_8850.thumb.jpeg.8546b508b732db8a9d93de3d1c87dcb3.jpeg

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

you weren’t the only one who saw it either.  A few people messaged me.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Robin 3
  • Facepalm 1

Think a lot of fans may need to put their foot on the brake and slow down a bit.

Nigel said the last two weeks were frustrating for him. That suggests he was expecting contract discussions but from what I've seen he's not actually explicitly said why the last two weeks were frustrating.

If it were because he was expecting contract talks then actually that would indicate that he was expecting talks leading to an extension, but for whatever reason that hasn't happened. However, I still think that would mean that at least up until a couple of weeks ago, the intention was to extend his deal, as far as Nigel was concerned anyway. He must have had at least some kind of positive conversation with the hierarchy to think that.

It may be that there are concerns over his ability to manage with his current health issues, or not. I can see why this would be a concern, contracts are expensive and complicated. 

The comment he made referring to the hierarchy questioning Andy King's selection; that could be anything from a raised eyebrow to Steve showing Nigel his favourite Bristol City Football Manager Save, so who knows. The one questioning him may or may not still be at the club. Is what it is.

I do really hope Nigel gets well soon and a contract is sorted out. We're lucky to have him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought it was a real shitty, unprofessional tweet, and I see he hasn’t come back on my response.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I reckon he was a bit pissed up when he sent it, especially at that time. Probably won’t reply out of pure regret!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Very poor this.

Unprofessional is kind. Defensive bordering on antagonistic is closer.

Something untoward is afoot methinks.

3 minutes ago, bcfcape91 said:

Think a lot of fans may need to put their foot on the brake and slow down a bit.

Nigel said the last two weeks were frustrating for him. That suggests he was expecting contract discussions but from what I've seen he's not actually explicitly said why the last two weeks were frustrating.

If it were because he was expecting contract talks then actually that would indicate that he was expecting talks leading to an extension, but for whatever reason that hasn't happened. However, I still think that would mean that at least up until a couple of weeks ago, the intention was to extend his deal, as far as Nigel was concerned anyway. He must have had at least some kind of positive conversation with the hierarchy to think that.

It may be that there are concerns over his ability to manage with his current health issues, or not. I can see why this would be a concern, contracts are expensive and complicated. 

The comment he made referring to the hierarchy questioning Andy King's selection; that could be anything from a raised eyebrow to Steve showing Nigel his favourite Bristol City Football Manager Save, so who knows. The one questioning him may or may not still be at the club. Is what it is.

I do really hope Nigel gets well soon and a contract is sorted out. We're lucky to have him.

Agree with this. I admit I haven't read all of the comments but felt that his remarks about recent frustrations was referring to his health rather than lack of contract talks. People do seem to be jumping the gun a bit assuming NP's about to be got rid of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The more I think about this, the more convinced I become that it's just a matter of when, not if, the trigger is pulled on Nige. 

I think it's becoming very obvious that his contract is not going to be renewed and it's incredibly rare for a manager to have a long-term contract and simply work until it expires, then leave. So that leaves two options, either poached by another club (v unlikely) or the sack/mutual consent.

It sounds to me like he has either been given an ultimatum on achieving results or get the sack, or possibly has got wind of that ultimatum, and it wasn't meant to be conveyed to him personally. 

He was a game away from being sacked twice last season, and survived by avoiding defeat in several key games. 

I said at the start of the season that he would probably be given even less breathing space this season and it seems like that is the case, and on top of that there has now evidently been a falling out of sorts that Nige has chosen to make public. 

It all points to only one outcome unfortunately, and I think the only way Nige avoids the sack is by going on some ludicrously great run of form, or being in the top 6. 

I suspect we are in a scenario where the Lansdowns are just waiting for the optimal time to fire him whilst ensuring they get the least amount of blowback. Probably a couple of defeats on the spin, or a drop in league position into the bottom half.

It may also depend on who they are looking at as a replacement. Some obvious names to them may be Nathan Jones, John Eustace, or Gary Rowett.

I wouldn't be surprised if our former u-23s coach Luke Williams, who has done a fine job at Notts C, was in the conversation too. Apparently retains a good relationship with Tinnion. 

Maybe I've overthought it, but those remarks from Nige yesterday were fairly unprecedented, and I just feel the end can't be too far away now. 

The only way he can save himself is to achieve an outstanding set of results, which seems a tall ask given the current state of the squad.

Naismith, Cornick, and Lansdown’s obsession with Luton, it has to Jones, doesn’t it? Stone me. 

7 minutes ago, Chrizzler said:

Agree with this. I admit I haven't read all of the comments but felt that his remarks about recent frustrations was referring to his health rather than lack of contract talks. People do seem to be jumping the gun a bit assuming NP's about to be got rid of. 

He made two remarks. One concerning his 'position', and the other concerning his 'situation'. 

The 'situation' remark referred to his health. The 'position' remark most certainly did not.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cityexile said:

It’s not NPs first rodeo.

Feels like he has decided to force the issue. He is not prepared to just hang around and see out his contract. So it’s a case of offer me a new one, great, if not I will force the issue, you sack me and I ride in to the sunset now with a few quid.

Entirely sensible.

He is quoted as saying ‘I will honour my contract’ 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It has crossed my mind too. 

Ive been hesitating in posting my thoughts on this, as I'm struggling to think of the correct wording so as for it not to come across wrongly. 

I had an experience when I was 23 brought on by extreme stress, where my body reacted with nearly every joint inflamed, unable to move without excruciating pain. Almost bed ridden for 3 months. It was like a form of arthritis. It left it's damage and cleared up over time, but I sometimes get flare ups when stressed out. Thankfully few and far between. 

The lasting memory I had from it, was not the pain but the reaction I had from the medication I was given at the time. It changed my character completely. 

My brain became clouded and fuzzy. I became quick to anger and irritable. I couldn't concentrate properly. Constantly tired. Wouldn't listen to reason. 

Others noticed, but it wasn't until it was pointed out to me... especially being quick to anger and irritable that I started to take more notice. 

I came off the medication quickly, and within a week or so was back to myself. 

I look back and can clearly see I made decisions and said things that were out of character at the time. I put it down to the reaction to the medication, frustration and the pain. 

I've also experienced seeing it with friends and relatives who reacted to medication. 

I'm not saying that's the case with NP...but it's something that should be considered. 

As you point out...the game at this level is demanding at the best of times. 

Fighting pain, an unknown reason for it, and feeling irritated isn't ideal. 

I hope that has come across as intended and no way a slight at NP or anyone else, as we are all different. 

• Like 10
  • Robin 1