IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

Just now, Red Exile said:

Selling to progress I get - but means replacing the players sold with something better - better individuals or a better, broader, deeper, squad. It doesn't seem to me that the Alex Scott sale has resulted in that. But who knows what the plan is - the silence from the top is deafening. I've put in many decades - and fast losing patience.

I think it’s unrealistic to think that we could sell Scott and replace with better…without spending beyond our means. Whilst it hurts that we won’t see his best years in a City shirt, it’s for the greater good that he and a few others were sold for such great sums. We’ll continue to create other saleable assets too and therefore have a more sustainable club from a financial perspective. 

personally, I like where we have invested this summer with Knight, McCrorie (ok, we’ve not seen him yet but he looks to be a great acquisition) Dickie and Gardner-Hickman. These are good signings who can help us progress. Add in a sprinkling of academy talents and we have the makings of a decent side. 

But I get the frustration and I’m not in any way dismissing your view, I just have a different take on it. 

• Robin 1

I think one of the main points that leaves me entrenched in the “keep nige” camp is the uncertainty of his successor. People can throw out names like robins or the like, but there’s no clear obvious candidate. 

Personally, I think the club has gone from a cosy “sleekish” club to one that will fight tooth and nail till the end. At times we played some truly brilliant football under LJ, and I still stand by the statement that Nige has not got us playing football near the quality LJ did at his best.

But we still pick up results with a hugely smaller, in size and financial, squad. And on all other basis the club has improved. 

So off the back of that point, would I rather continue this, admittedly slow, upwards trend with Pearson. One that might spike if he’s given the investment most agree he deserves. Or would I want Pearson, and whoever else  follows (Rennie, James etc) sacked/leaving for some unknown variable who could be the championship Jose Mourinho or could be a new Gareth Ainsworth. 

With the success of SL recent footballing decisions being as poor as they have been the only answer is to stick with Pearson imho. 

All dependant on who his potential successor is, but until that’s made clear to us and the board gives clear communication I’m firmly behind Pearson, and fwiw fairly surprised that isn’t echoed by everyone. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He could’ve appointed Robins on 3 separate occasions and didn’t, now all of a sudden he’s done unbelievably well at Coventry SL seems to have it in his head that he always rated and always knew he’d do well. So I really wouldn’t be surprised. 

Unbelievably well when they are below us and had 1 shot on target against us despite them spending 25 million? 

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Unbelievably well when they are below us and had 1 shot on target against us despite them spending 25 million? 

Uhhh I mean….two promotions, managed them through playing at 3 different stadiums and a ridiculous amount of off field problems, play off finalists last season, found and sold Hamer & Gyokeres for £40m….not too shabby is it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just out

If I'm not mistaken, the nominal board currently consists of Mark whateverhisnameis the COO, Gavin Marshall, and JL. I wonder if it's coincidental that Nige mentions he's had conversations with the first two since his recent comments, but not the latter. 

12 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

If I'm not mistaken, the nominal board currently consists of Mark whateverhisnameis the COO, Gavin Marshall, and JL. I wonder if it's coincidental that Nige mentions he's had conversations with the first two since his recent comments, but not the latter. 

The board consists of JL and Gavin Marshall, thats it.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03230871/officers

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

“I’ve had conversations internally here, yes, and, look, the most important thing is that we concentrate very much on the football side of it,” Pearson said. “My job will always remain the same, and that is to support my staff and our players and that we do everything we can to continue to look forward with a bit of optimism in terms of what we can achieve on the pitch - that’s the biggest thing.

“I’m well aware of what I am and sometimes how I frame things can be an irritant for other people, but I say what I think.”

“I’ve had a chat with Tom this week who I think will be really good for the football club in terms of his role as the COO, he’s liked but most importantly he’s very well respected within the training ground in terms of his integrity and what he brings.

"So early days for him,” Pearson added, with a chuckle. “Baptism of fire, maybe, but he’ll be fine and I think he’s a really good appointment for the club.

“So I spoke to him, I spoke to Gavin as well. Whatever happens behind the scenes, it’s not about being particularly aggressive, it’s about voicing opinions and for every one opinion, there’s a counter opinion and so, I think it’s just something we’ll try to resolve.”

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-talks-8854954

37 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just out

"Why bring more players in who are no better than what you’ve already got".

"We had a loan physio when I first came here, what’s one of them, what’s that all about? I’ve never heard of one of those!"

Quite. Whereas some managers like "more clubs in the bag".

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is what surprises me from those few ITK who are suggesting that Tins is (my word) “shit-stirring”.  After all his moans previously about academy players not getting a chance, signings being made blocking pathway and not playing them, he now has a manager that does…and Tins gets a lot of praise / credit off the back of it.

Why upset that?

Who are the managers out there of championship pedigree that do that to a similar extent to Nige - and I mean several academy players in the match day squad?

Mowbray - the 59 year old “dinosaur”

Tomasson -  perhaps benefitting from the work of Mowbray

Probably one or two others, but not many.

No, and if we bring a Manager in to replace Pearson who is given a raw deal to start with because the fans want the guy he replaced to still be here and then gets off on the wrong foot losing one or two games early on do you think said person will be bringing Yeboah on with twenty to go when we are winning 1-0 at home (i.e. last Saturday)? When it's his new job on the line and the fans are mightily pissed off? There are managers out there who wouldn't trust the likes of Conway and Bell because of their age let alone the next crop coming through, that's a fact, and if anyone can locate them then Steve most certainly can. It really won't take long to go backwards if Steve gets this wrong........and let's be fair how can you have any confidence the bloke will get anything to do with actual football itself right?

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Nige on good form in his press conference to be fair, laughed a lot at the part when he was talking about he loan physio. He knows what he’s doing when he tells us who he has spoken to and therefore who he hasn’t spoken to..

Better make the most of having a manager that is so impressive.

No wonder we have a squad so obviously willing to run through a brick wall for him.

I've said this many times but Nige is an absolute expert at using the media to his and our advantage. 

So for example, rather than saying "I've not spoken to SL or JL" instead tells us who he has spoken to like you say, he knows what he's doing. 

I enjoyed every second of that press conference and could have listened to it for another hour. 

My take away from it was, it was of no coincidence to me that he spoke about how much the club has changed in many departments since he has been here. He was sending a subtle message by mentioning all of those things in my opinion.

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Seen Simms a few times now.

8m ? Coventry had their pants pulled down.

And that Wright. 9 million plus? At this moment in time it seems a huge waste of money. As Nige said in his press conference "just because you have money, doesn't mean you have to spend it" 

I think Robins would have been able to find better strikers with a limited budget. 

They also spent 4 million on Kitching and he's only played something like 3 games. 

If only Nige was given 4 million to spend 😪

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Yeh was thinking that 8 million for simms etc not sure coventry fans think hes spent well.

16 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Had no idea they paid 8 MILLION... mugged off 

38 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Seen Simms a few times now.

8m ? Coventry had their pants pulled down.

Was £3.5m. £8m is with some fairly large unlikely add ons

3 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Or me, maybe the money to potentially spend, longer contract maybe better pay. 

Do you realise Robins was allowed by Coventry to spend about £25m this summer on 9 players & bring in 2 others on loan?

Not a chance in a million he would have anything like that amount to spend in BS3.

No way will our next manager be him.

So when is the press conference to announce that after long consideration and with all the fantastic work he has done at the club we are delighted to announce Brian Tinnion as new club manager! 

This wouldn't surprise me at all, it also wouldn't surprise me that this would be the first BT or NP would find out this news!!!

• Like 1