IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks as always. Yes it seems like Pearson found someone to talk to so that's nice for him. Yep will be good if a board meeting, a decent press conference, and of course a good win tomorrow can quiet things down.

It shouldn't have to take him making some public barbed comments in order to find someone to speak to should it? It's so amateur from the club.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It shouldn't have to take him making some public barbed comments in order to find someone to speak to should it? It's so amateur from the club.

I find it all absolutely baffling, bordering on the bizarre.

OK I’m just drawing an inference from what Nige has said, but it appears a COO who has been in post for what, 4-6 weeks, couldn’t find the time in that period to have a meaningful chat to the second most important person - after Steve - in his organisation?  Particularly odd given Nige’s recent health issues, contractural situation, the top level staffing upheavals and changing messages from the owner on availability of finance et al.  Then add to that, the Media Department doesn’t have a prepared press release available after the Nige ‘incident’.

If that is all correct, I can only draw one of three conclusions; that our COO/Head of Media are either 1) Incompetent 2) Unclear on their responsibilities or 3) Directed by Steve/legal advisor to ‘blank’ all things Nige. 

I somehow doubt it would be 1 or 2 as I know we’re bad at lots of things off the field, but we can’t be that bad. So it must be 3 for me. 

Little wonder that Nige became exasperated and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s totally disillusioned. It’s truly remarkable for me that he’s keeping himself together and providing clear, sound and positive leadership in such circumstance. 

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, RedRock said:

OK I’m just drawing an inference from what Nige has said, but it appears a COO who has been in post for what, 4-6 weeks, couldn’t find the time in that period to have a meaningful chat to the second most important person - after Steve - in his organisation?  Particularly odd given Nige’s recent health issues, contractural situation, the top level staffing upheavals and changing messages from the owner on availability of finance et al.  Then add to that, the Media Department doesn’t have a prepared press release available after the Nige ‘incident’.

If that is all correct, I can only draw one of three conclusions; that our COO/Head of Media are either 1) Incompetent 2) Unclear on their responsibilities or 3) Directed by Steve/legal advisor to ‘blank’ all things Nige. 

I somehow doubt it would be 1 or 2 as I know we’re bad at lots of things off the field, but we can’t be that bad. So it must be 3 for me. 

Little wonder that Nige became exasperated and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s totally disillusioned. It’s truly remarkable for me that he’s keeping himself together and providing clear, sound and positive leadership in such circumstance. 

Do you actually know what has gone on other than the few words that NP has said? Far too much guess-work going on in this thread which isn't healthy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

I would say it's probably 2. The COO probably hadn't had there roles and responsibilities updated following the CEO leaving and just carried on with what they were doing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Do you actually know what has gone on other than the few words that NP has said? Far too much guess-work going on in this thread which isn't healthy

I fully get that, I really do. Yes, we’re only hearing one side of the story and it could be - and I wouldn’t put it beyond Nige - that he’s playing a canny ‘game’. It could be there is something else going on in the background with Nige that is causing angst in the Organisation, but the powers that be - possibly for very good reason - don’t want to break their silence. 

However, if the Organisation doesn’t communicate well with its fan base, then it isn’t a complete leap in the dark to think that culture might extend to its employees. So, yes, you draw your own conclusions - but that isn’t based solely on what Nige says. 

The Club could have easily dealt with this matter before it became an issue. They choose not to. Why?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Indeed - I've given up saying this.  Lots of fellow City fans speculating over what might be happening, and then driving themselves into an unnecessary rage because of these made up stories.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but yesterday's Post story said "He is also out of contract at the end of the season and no formal talks have taken place. Pearson's words at the weekend are also not thought to be linked with that particular situation." (my highlighting).  Is there a chance that we've spent 42 pages and untold fury barking up the wrong tree?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, red panda said:

Indeed - I've given up saying this.  Lots of fellow City fans speculating over what might be happening, and then driving themselves into an unnecessary rage because of these made up stories.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but yesterday's Post story said "He is also out of contract at the end of the season and no formal talks have taken place. Pearson's words at the weekend are also not thought to be linked with that particular situation." (my highlighting).  Is there a chance that we've spent 42 pages and untold fury barking up the wrong tree?

I guess we could be barking up the wrong tree.

However, I don't think we have been.

In any case, if there were any lingering doubts for the hierarchy as to where the overwhelming majority of the fans stand. Then it has been worth the 42  pages.

• Like 1

Positives:

- He has a great deal of experience

- He has developed youth players into first team regulars

- Kept us competitive as the wage bill has been heavily reduced

Negatives:

- Hasn’t got the best out of some new signings, when money is tight it needs to be invested very wisely, Cornick+Mehmeti the obvious examples.

- Can be spikey and confrontational

- Home form been an ongoing issue.

Just my thoughts!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Please excuse my ignorance but who is "Tom" that NP refers to?

On holiday in London so absent again this evening. COYR.

Tom Rawcliffe.

He is the Chief Operating Officer as of last month. Was promoted from Chief Finance Officer when Phil Alexander left, although is apparently still also fulfilling the CFO role.

COO is the closest we now have to a CEO, and there are no plans to directly replace Alexander in that role.

The Club put out a brief explanation last month https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-leadership-update/

Edited by ExiledAjax

32 minutes ago, GLAB said:

Positives:

Negatives:

- Hasn’t got the best out of some new signings, when money is tight it needs to be invested very wisely, Cornick+Mehmeti the obvious examples.

Just my thoughts!

The signings points (namely those two) that i’ve people making are real head scratches to me. Two signings out of however many brilliant successes, along with the academy players coming through - so are we saying we expect literally every single signing to be a roaring success? Not gonna happen, to any club in the world let alone to us. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

23 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I genuinely don't recognise this as fact.

IF (and it's still if) Nige leaves then I think anyone coming in will benefit from Nige's legacy. The club has gone through a transition which NP has been very much part of. However, the Academy which is an undeniable shining light for BCFC is not down to Nige, it's been a work in progress for many years and this progression will not change as a result of a new Manager.

As for the next head coach/manager( whatever the incarnation is) being 'extremely underwhelming'  this is and will always be subjective until such time as they prove you right or alternatively exceed most supporter's expectations as SC did.

History says that during Steve Lansdown's time at the Club, whenever a good Manager leaves the next appointment usually undoes all of that good work made. It's not hard to understand why I think it will be extremely underwhelming, because this has always been the case under Lansdown. Happy for that to change of course, but my betting is it will be more of a Lee Johnson type than Nigel Pearson and that would not be good progress.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The signings points (namely those two) that i’ve people making are real head scratches to me. Two signings out of however many brilliant successes, along with the academy players coming through - so are we saying we expect literally every single signing to be a roaring success? Not gonna happen, to any club in the world let alone to us. 

Pearson's record with signings is so much better than the previous administration. Clear why each signing was made, low expenditure so low risk, and mostly very successful (even the 'failures' you mention haven't performed that badly and could still come good). 

Compare that to the dozens of expensive players LJ brought in with no real idea of how to use them, ultimately making huge losses with 0 impact (Szmodics, Eisa, Engvall, Palmer, Watkins to name a few). 

Recruitment is just one of several areas where Pearson has transformed the club culture for the better. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

• Admin
41 minutes ago, 2015 said:

History says that during Steve Lansdown's time at the Club, whenever a good Manager leaves the next appointment usually undoes all of that good work made. It's not hard to understand why I think it will be extremely underwhelming, because this has always been the case under Lansdown. Happy for that to change of course, but my betting is it will be more of a Lee Johnson type than Nigel Pearson and that would not be good progress.

So, if we can just adjust our mindset to match JL's (that having reduced the wage budget by a third, amortisation by three quarters plus operated a transfer profit of around £25m, we have actually under-performed) we can believe that Nige has been a terrible manager and his successor doesn't have to live by that rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Plus it really is not a stretch to argue that as he’s still only 22, there is a lot of time yet for Mehmeti to come good. If he doesn’t I’m also very confident that we’ll get our money back.

The Cornick stuff is more debatable, but no doubt some are just judging him (like Andi Weimann) on his goals. Most would prefer that he’d scored a few more so far but he’s been a useful squad player (100% availability record, used in virtually every game since joining) who has performed a role for the side, coming on late & extending the opposition defence to keep us up the pitch (Hull & Swansea being specific examples).

I have reached the conclusion that some just don’t like him & so are never going to give him any credit, a bit like they used to do with Zak Vyner.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Plus it really is not a stretch to argue that as he’s still only 22, there is a lot of time yet for Mehmeti to come good. If he doesn’t I’m also very confident that we’ll get our money back.

The Cornick stuff is more debatable, but no doubt some are just judging him (like Andi Weimann) on his goals. Most would prefer that he’d scored a few more so far but he’s been a useful squad player (100% availability record, used in virtually every game since joining) who has performed a role for the side, coming on late & extending the opposition defence to keep us up the pitch (Hull & Swansea being specific examples).

I have reached the conclusion that some just don’t like him & so are never going to give him any credit, a bit like they used to do with Zak Vyner.

He didn't score on Saturday but his one-man pressing cameo was very important for us in not allowing Coventry to build back some momentum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GLAB said:

Positives:

Negatives:

Just my thoughts!

Would love one of the Cornick bashers to come on here and give a reasoned argument as to why he is a bad signing.

From what I have seen for £300,000 he is a massive upgrade on Chris Martin as a forward to come on to 'finish' a game. He clearly wasn't signed to replace Wells, Conway etc but to be the guy that comes on to see a game out for the last 20/30 minutes. I haven't seen him let us down at any time or play particularly poorly. Please explain what I am missing ?

• Like 13

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I think ‘brilliant successes’ is over reaching a bit. I feel that window to replace semenyo wasn’t used wisely.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Would love one of the Cornick bashers to come on here and give a reasoned argument as to why he is a bad signing.

From what I have seen for £300,000 he is a massive upgrade on Chris Martin as a forward to come on to 'finish' a game. He clearly wasn't signed to replace Wells, Conway etc but to be the guy that comes on to see a game out for the last 20/30 minutes. I haven't seen him let us down at any time or play particularly poorly. Please explain what I am missing ?

Didn’t Pearson say that we would only sign players who would make us better? In which case signing someone to see a game out isn’t an ideal use of funds. I think Pearson misjudged this signing, as he stated he is a ‘wide forward’ on multiple occasions, something he clearly isn’t based on performances for us.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

One of the great things about this forum is the divergence of opinion.

I don't think , for example, LJ was a poor manager. He got us out of the relegation zone and fighting at the right end of the table yet no cigar. The Holden appointment was as surprising as it was underwhelming yet he did ok in really difficult circumstances. Then he brought in Nige which is a generally popular appointment.

The appointment of SC was generally greeted with disappointment yet he gave us a season that will stay forever with anyone who was there to witness it.

Bringing in an LJ "type" may prove to be what is needed next time there is a vacancy depending on what you define as type. The bottom line is that nothing is fact until it happens and NP is , for the immediate future, still the man in charge.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

One of the great things about this forum is the divergence of opinion.

I don't think , for example, LJ was a poor manager. He got us out of the relegation zone and fighting at the right end of the table yet no cigar. The Holden appointment was as surprising as it was underwhelming yet he did ok in really difficult circumstances. Then he brought in Nige which is a generally popular appointment.

The appointment of SC was generally greeted with disappointment yet he gave us a season that will stay forever with anyone who was there to witness it.

Bringing in an LJ "type" may prove to be what is needed next time there is a vacancy depending on what you define as type. The bottom line is that nothing is fact until it happens and NP is , for the immediate future, still the man in charge.

Decent coach. Poor Manager. It needed a Good experienced Manager in Pearson to clear his mess up. We do not need to revert to an LJ type as we are still progressing under Nige.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

Pearson's record with signings is so much better than the previous administration. Clear why each signing was made, low expenditure so low risk, and mostly very successful (even the 'failures' you mention haven't performed that badly and could still come good). 

Compare that to the dozens of expensive players LJ brought in with no real idea of how to use them, ultimately making huge losses with 0 impact (Szmodics, Eisa, Engvall, Palmer, Watkins to name a few). 

Recruitment is just one of several areas where Pearson has transformed the club culture for the better. 

Huge losses? I thought we made profits on some of those - Eisa, Szmodics?

32 minutes ago, GLAB said:

Didn’t Pearson say that we would only sign players who would make us better? In which case signing someone to see a game out isn’t an ideal use of funds. I think Pearson misjudged this signing, as he stated he is a ‘wide forward’ on multiple occasions, something he clearly isn’t based on performances for us.

So we haven't seen out games better with Cornick playing? Would you have preferred Chris Martin staying to try and do that job instead?

38 minutes ago, GLAB said:

He’s not just been signed to ‘see out games’ .

They keep wittering the same line on FBC

We don’t have the budget or wage space to sign ‘better players that make us better’ , on each occasion

We actually need a squad of players fighting for , and capable of ,a first team spot 

Our squad in numbers , is very tight at best 

It’s not difficult to understand.

In addition , Pearson, especially with a smallish squad,  likes players with a good attitude and team ethic, who play for the Team rather than themselves  , are prepared to do dirty work , or play out of position , or try and fulfil any role ,  when required 

Whatever your opinion on Cornick , he ticks all those boxes 

• Like 17