IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

39 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Yeh was thinking that 8 million for simms etc not sure coventry fans think hes spent well.

16 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Had no idea they paid 8 MILLION... mugged off 

38 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Seen Simms a few times now.

8m ? Coventry had their pants pulled down.

Was £3.5m. £8m is with some fairly large unlikely add ons

3 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Or me, maybe the money to potentially spend, longer contract maybe better pay. 

Do you realise Robins was allowed by Coventry to spend about £25m this summer on 9 players & bring in 2 others on loan?

Not a chance in a million he would have anything like that amount to spend in BS3.

No way will our next manager be him.

So when is the press conference to announce that after long consideration and with all the fantastic work he has done at the club we are delighted to announce Brian Tinnion as new club manager! 

This wouldn't surprise me at all, it also wouldn't surprise me that this would be the first BT or NP would find out this news!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YorkshireSection said:

So when is the press conference to announce that after long consideration and with all the fantastic work he has done at the club we are delighted to announce Brian Tinnion as new club manager! 

This wouldn't surprise me at all, it also wouldn't surprise me that this would be the first BT or NP would find out this news!!!

Would Steve ask us to judge him on Tinnion - again? Actually did we ever get to judge him first time? 😇

I've just watched the Presser for the Ipswich game.

NP talks so well. That is all well and good but it isn't just talk. The bloke knows what he is talking about and more importantly he backs it up. 

I also feel a little more positive following the gloomy comments regarding NP's future. Let's face it, the problem is not NP it is the 'hierarchy'. Hopefully. Tom can be the one that brings the hierarchy to their senses. Give NP what he wants by way of a contract and start some serious and informative dialogue with us as long suffering supporters. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Uhhh I mean….two promotions, managed them through playing at 3 different stadiums and a ridiculous amount of off field problems, play off finalists last season, found and sold Hamer & Gyokeres for £40m….not too shabby is it. 

He’s got some inexplicable hatred for Coventry, he said the other day they have had 6000 crowds for home games in Coventry (they haven’t) & that Robins has applied for our job “numerous times before” (no idea if that’s true) because he “loved the area”- he was only with us for 5 bloody weeks…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Do you realise Robins was allowed by Coventry to spend about £25m this summer on 9 players & bring in 2 others on loan?

Not a chance in a million he would have anything like that amount to spend in BS3.

No way will our next manager be him.

Pretty sure Steve L put a clause in his loan contract to us 20 years ago to manage us 😂 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, supercidered said:

NP talks so well. That is all well and good but it isn't just talk. The bloke knows what he is talking about and more importantly he backs it up. 

I also feel a little more positive following the gloomy comments regarding NP's future. Let's face it, the problem is not NP it is the 'hierarchy'. Hopefully. Tom can be the one that brings the hierarchy to their senses. Give NP what he wants by way of a contract and start some serious and informative dialogue with us as long suffering supporters. 

Seems he may have serious input to it and its telling that NP bigged him up massively !

Bottom line is it will have to be given the green light by SL though.

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I heard it that way too and hopefully he can mediate something between SL and NP. I certainly feel a bit more positive after hearing the press conference.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Seems he may have serious input to it and its telling that NP bigged him up massively !

Bottom line is it will have to be given the green light by SL though.

Absolutely, but maybe Tom as a go between / mediator may be the best way for SL to see sense and or not lose face. Even SL must've seen or at least heard the overwhelming level of support for NP.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

He’s got some inexplicable hatred for Coventry, he said the other day they have had 6000 crowds for home games in Coventry (they haven’t) & that Robins has applied for our job “numerous times before” (no idea if that’s true) because he “loved the area”- he was only with us for 5 bloody weeks…

6k v Scunthorpe in league one for a 1-1 draw. I am unsure why it appears you're coming at me and why you are saying some mistruths 

Screenshot_20231024_180002.jpg

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

6k v Scunthorpe in league one for a 1-1 draw. I am unsure why it appears you're coming at me and why you are saying some mistruths 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

It was interesting that NP mentioned Tom's integrity. What that means I don't know, but clearly means something.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

One of the things I really like about Nige P is his honesty. He just tells it as it is, no bull shit, just facts.

⬇️

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nigel Pearson got on fine with Mark Ashton.

🤔

To be fair, he did imply that Ashton overspent but unfortunately declined to call him a slimeball.

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

It was interesting that NP mentioned Tom's integrity. What that means I don't know, but clearly means something.

[...unlike some other people I could name]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

↕️ Help me out here lads.

He also can be diplomatic as well.

Whats the use of wasting energy on slagging off Mark Ashton the day before we play them? He’s Nigel Pearson, not Joesph Barton.

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

I expect Lisa is washing her hair and having her nails done..... Mark’s coming to town....

I did hear that rumour as well..

1 minute ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Anyone would think we are on the verge of losing pep guardiola😂

It’s all relative mate, given the sort of appointments we’ve had in the past I’m one for sticking with Nige and what he’s building given what he’s had to contend with since he came in. I dread to think what would happen next if he was let go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Feral Williams said:

It’s all relative mate, given the sort of appointments we’ve had in the past I’m one for sticking with Nige and what he’s building given what he’s had to contend with since he came in. I dread to think what would happen next if he was let go.

I'm not saying any different, but you have to look at the face of it , with these problems he has at the moment surely as a club it would be unwise to give someone a new contract and a "big payrise" as people keep saying , we know how unlucky city are with past loans and I would t be surprised if we ended up having to pay off pearson when he can't do the job because of health. We will be then stuck with paying someone else to take over.

Before anyone starts throwing a hissyfit over my opinion I like Pearson and wanted his contract extended months ago but with his current health problems of course it needs to be dealt with carefully 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

From what I've seen I like Tomasson and what he's doing. Doubt we'd get him to switch over to us so he's not an option.

I know little about League 1 right now. Is there anyone doing good work in a similar set up down there?

Can I suggest Manning at Oxford? Yes we turned them over but he's got them 2nd, well outperforming their xG (which I of course know could be a bit flukey) and with a cast iron defence. MOTM in August and doing this with a young squad with an average age of 24.* I've no idea how many have come through Oxford's youth ranks under him (as he's only been there since March I'll assume it's not many) but it's a young squad and they purportedly didn't spend a dime in the summer (other than loan fees).* He's also previously worked as an U23s coach at West Ham, so must surely have some sort of recognition for the power of youth development.

I don't know the details of his methods, personality or anything, whether he'd build on culture or be willing to work under our terms and conditions. Shoot this down with an Exocet if you like, but I'd say he would merit further investigation.

*Source is transfermarkt for both these figures.

Just back from the drive home from Cornwall, so catching up.  Apologies if I ramble about things covered by others on this or other threads.

All I can say re Manning is he’s well thought of.  In the past I’ve probably had a list of managers I like, I still do to an extent, but very difficult to delve too much at this stage.

I’m pleased that the stories / rumours of a weekend board meeting (no Nige present) have transpired to be what sounds like a meeting / meetings between Nige, Tom and Gavin.  I feel a bit more chilled this evening than I was yesterday.  That might change again tomorrow! 🤣

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

He could’ve appointed Robins on 3 separate occasions and didn’t, now all of a sudden he’s done unbelievably well at Coventry SL seems to have it in his head that he always rated and always knew he’d do well. So I really wouldn’t be surprised. 

He is the master of revisionism, the master of looking at the successful outcome, not the process that led to the outcome.

Coach Kapoulas (Flyers Coach) is always saying “trust the process”, become a bit of a joke, in a nice way, but it’s so true.

You can’t copy the outcome.

6 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

I think it’s unrealistic to think that we could sell Scott and replace with better…without spending beyond our means. Whilst it hurts that we won’t see his best years in a City shirt, it’s for the greater good that he and a few others were sold for such great sums. We’ll continue to create other saleable assets too and therefore have a more sustainable club from a financial perspective. 

personally, I like where we have invested this summer with Knight, McCrorie (ok, we’ve not seen him yet but he looks to be a great acquisition) Dickie and Gardner-Hickman. These are good signings who can help us progress. Add in a sprinkling of academy talents and we have the makings of a decent side. 

But I get the frustration and I’m not in any way dismissing your view, I just have a different take on it. 

This whole “I will only bring in better” is so misconstrued.  Not a dig at you, just using your post to frame my thoughts.

Nige himself said when he sold Semenyo - paraphrased - there’s a reason Antoine cost £10m, and we can’t replace him with better, but we can try to find players that make us better as a whole.

We can all debate the merits of Mehmeti and Cornick, or the summer signings, but sometimes you are replacing squad players with better not first teamers, to improve depth.  To that debate then maybe Cornick replaced Chris Martin.

When you have no wage budget you might need to be less black and white with bullish statements.  Taking Scott out of the equation, the squad is better even if the first eleven / best eleven might not be.

4 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Yeh was thinking that 8 million for simms etc not sure coventry fans think hes spent well.

Was allegedly £3.5m rising to £5.5m with add-ons with a £2.5m promotion bonus.

• Like 1