IGNORED

Ipswich Town home match thread

Thanks for the write up.

Bit of constructive criticism - can you separate the opposition comments from your own, maybe with italics ? I just found it slightly confusing as to which were commenting.

2-2 draw possibly.

I just hope we are back on form and a couple of returning players would be good.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Thanks for the write up.

Bit of constructive criticism - can you separate the opposition comments from your own, maybe with italics ? I just found it slightly confusing as to which were commenting.

2-2 draw possibly.

I just hope we are back on form and a couple of returning players would be good.

Thanks for the feedback bcfc01 I will look to do so, although sometimes the formatting falls apart when actually I post it 

• Like 1

Looking forward to this tomorrow, ish. Bit scared of a pasting to be honest. I won't be there in person as I can't get down from London in time, however, I hope Gary Owers is commentating on Radio Bristol! I don't have Sky so don't think I can watch on red button.

I'll be listening for some pro-Nige chants and a raucous welcome for our boy Marky. Up the City.

• Robin 2
14 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Looking forward to this tomorrow, ish. Bit scared of a pasting to be honest. I won't be there in person as I can't get down from London in time, however, I hope Gary Owers is commentating on Radio Bristol! I don't have Sky so don't think I can watch on red button.

I'll be listening for some pro-Nige chants and a raucous welcome for our boy Marky. Up the City.

I can't make it either, given my season card to my nephew so the seat will be taken up at least.

It'll be a stream for me as I'm not wasting any more money on the club TV, should be one available.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

I'm looking forward to this I really am.    There's extra spice included due to factors that don't need further elaboration but as in another post am quite focused on the game itself, not so personnel other than the players and McKenna himself.

Would have liked to have been there tomorrow but on the other side of the country and other commitments it just wasn't possible.    Our game at Rotherham turned into farce.  People made the trip up and all ready to start and they call the thing off with only a couple hours notice.   Fans were rightfully enraged but at least we'll have an extra rest period over yourselves.    All the same wish the Rotherham game had gone ahead, it would have provided that extra idea of what to expect over in Bristol tomorrow.    Kept the players sharp and focused and ready for the next task instead of no game at all.  

We have some pivotal players out but remain strong.    Confidence is high, Mckenna is MOTM and can do little wrong, while we possess the strongest most competitive Town squad in nearly 20 years.      It should be a successful event.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

I'm looking forward to this I really am.    There's extra spice included due to factors that don't need further elaboration but as in another post am quite focused on the game itself, not so personnel other than the players and McKenna himself.

Would have liked to have been there tomorrow but on the other side of the country and other commitments it just wasn't possible.    Our game at Rotherham turned into farce.  People made the trip up and all ready to start and they call the thing off with only a couple hours notice.   Fans were rightfully enraged but at least we'll have an extra rest period over yourselves.    All the same wish the Rotherham game had gone ahead, it would have provided that extra idea of what to expect over in Bristol tomorrow.    Kept the players sharp and focused and ready for the next task instead of no game at all.  

We have some pivotal players out but remain strong.    Confidence is high, Mckenna is MOTM and can do little wrong, while we possess the strongest most competitive Town squad in nearly 20 years.      It should be a successful event.   

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Law & Order

God I hope we bring their fans down a peg or two..

'City will have to be at their best to even compete'. We've competed in every game this season including away to Leicester.

'Ashton finds himself in a different position than at Ashton Gate with much more competent people around him' err half of them came from Ashton Gate and WTF would the poster know about the rest of them

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

God I hope we bring their fans down a peg or two..

'City will have to be at their best to even compete'. We've competed in every game this season including away to Leicester.

'Ashton finds himself in a different position than at Ashton Gate with much more competent people around him' err half of them came from Ashton Gate and WTF would the poster know about the rest of them

Too true. It would be great to beat them. And shove two fingers up to Ashton and Lansdown and some of their more arrogant fans. And whopping endorsement of Nigel and the work he has done. 

• Flames 2
  • Robin 3
1 hour ago, Glasgow Red said:

This is going to be a great game. I really hope they setup to have a real go at us as that will suit us at home. If they do could be a thriller I recon...

Hoping for the same, however high pressure doesn’t automatically mean high possession, which we typically play well against. Need to be on it from the 1st minute otherwise it could be a repeat of Coventry without a clean sheet…

2 hours ago, Glasgow Red said:

This is going to be a great game. I really hope they setup to have a real go at us as that will suit us at home. If they do could be a thriller I recon...

Yep, the less possession we have the better. They will set themselves up to dominate possession, which plays into our hands. 

Despite their players generally being unproven at C'ship level they shouldn't, and won't be, underestimated by Nige.

Injuries for us are again a big concern but we'll have to make do. Think I've made it pretty clear in other posts that I feel this and Saturday are huge games for Nige.

Simply cannot afford to lose games at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My predominantly numbers based preview:

But some game-play pics too!

Good thread. You're correct to identify the cut-back to Chaplin as being our main threat. We scored countless goals from those situations last season. He's always been an exceptional finisher but he's found a new level under McKenna. Leif Davis provides a lot of his goals and will be playing in the Premier League next year regardless of whether we maintain our fast start. 

I agree that we've benefited from being given space in behind a fair few times, which is largely due to teams not showing us enough respect because we've just come up from League One. What encourages me though is that we've won games in different ways, coming out on top in the basketball style matches at Portman Road and grinding out 1-0 victories away from home. McKenna has massively improved as a tactician since the middle of last season where we had a bit of a slump and had become a bit predictable, before he mixed things up and we went on that crazy run of 13 wins in 14 to finish second

Our biggest weakness defensively is when balls are played in between Woolfenden and whoever is playing right-back (Williams or Clarke) Their communication isn't always the best and Conway might fancy a goal, especially from a header. 

Looking forward to heading to Ashton Gate tomorrow. I think it'll be a tight game, I'll go for a 1-1 draw. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Amidst growing speculation and anger/disbelief among many of the fans, we prepare to play Ipswich Town in what could be Nigel Pearson‘s last game in charge.

As with everybody else I have no idea what is happening with my beloved football club, and can only begin to knit together fragments of information, gleaned largely from the manager and the media, given the silence from the club.

I will not rehearse everything that’s been said on this forum since Nigel broke his silence following the Coventry game. However, despite having the best players sold for FFP reasons, seemingly getting little support from the hierarchy and inheriting a complete mess, NP has….

• Cleared out the deadwood and high earners
  • Enabled young players to step-up to the first team squad
  • Built a squad that clearly plays for him and the shirt
  • Created an emerging footballing identity which fans are getting behind
  • Built a collective mindset and reset the culture
  • Managed and conducted matters in a professional, sensible, informed and experienced manner
  • Recruited a competent staff team
  • Bought in capable players, with excellent personal qualities, without spending much money

Back to piecing together what’s really going on, what do I know, after all I’ve only supported the club for 60+ years, my only theory is that Steve Lansdown has secured investment, we know that he has been aiming to do so. Perhaps somehow the recent departure of our chief executive and the increasingly likely departure of an IMO excellent manager is linked with this.

Of course, this is absolute speculation, and only time will tell along with communication from the club what has really been going on behind the scenes.

Their game last Friday was postponed https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67097336

With many thanks to unstableblue here’s a decent insight, his final paragraph is illuminating!

‘Town are in a good place and thoroughly deserve to be second, six points clear of Leeds in third with a game in hand. We’ve transitioned seamlessly from League One, where frankly we were playing football more suited to the Championship, and we recruited Championship quality players in the January window, looking forward always.

We have a superb, young, technical and progressive manager in Keiran McKenna, who‘s stock is rising very fast, which leads to concerns on how long he’ll be with us. But I do think he’s committed to the Town project and getting us to Premier League.

We play a pressing, high energy game, playing out from the back, with a strong central midfield and dynamic front 4. With 3 attacking midfielders who work their socks off around the excellent holding and running of the central striker George Hirst. We tend to replace that front 4, fully or in part, on 70 minutes to keep up the momentum.

On Wednesday we will lose some of the attacking depth with the injuries to Burns and Ladapo. But have a very exciting young loanee from Chelsea - Omari Hutchison - who can beat any defender in this league, but also under McKenna’s tutelage is now pressing/tackling like a beast. He’ll probably replace Burns down the right channel. Broadhead on the left is the danger man, and I’d suggest City will look to close him down from the get go.

Morsy, our captain and enforcer, missed the away game at Huddersfield recently where we drew, and you realise how central he is to the team. He’s aided by the fan favourite, Luongo, who is having an evergreen stand-out season playing further forward of Morsy in the central two. And yet is being pushed for a place by Jack Taylor who has now settled into the McKenna system and looks to be fulfilling his Town potential and the fee from Peterborough.

Our centre backs (one of our own) Wolfenden and Burgess could have been questioned as to whether they’d make the step up, but have both done well. And looking forward again Town have invested and taken a risk in bringing in super talented but injury challenged Axel Tuanzebe from Manchester United, to provide real competition at centre back.

Our full backs are a big part of our game. And in ex-Leeds Leif Davis and Man Utd loanee Brandon Williams we have the quality and energy to make the system work.

The concern on Wednesday is whether an 18 day gap in competitive games means we’re going to have lost some sharpness and the winning momentum that’s been driving us forward. But in McKenna we trust. Should be a good game, where City will need to play at their best to compete.

Finally, I know Mark Ashton has a terrible reputation at Ashton Gate, amongst the City fans. But he has been excellent for our club. He was instrumental in identifying and securing McKenna. He’s built a structure that is transforming the club. Crucially it’s very different to the environment he was in at City. He has a football savvy part-time chairman, financial and sporting organisation savvy owners and investors, and clearly he is leaving the football side of things to McKenna. In short he has governance, oversight and competent people around him’.

So, playing the tractor boys means the return to Ashton Gate for our ex-chief executive Mark Ashton as anybody on here will know he’s considered by many to have enjoyed far too much power and influence during his time at the helm.

Players who have played for both teams include Cole Skuse (279 for us and 268 for them), Russell Osman (had a spell with us as player/manager), Dean Gerkin, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas,     Louie Donowa, Adam Webster, Gavin Williams, Jon Stead, Marcus Stewart (in September 2022, Stewart was diagnosed with motor neurone disease) and Wes Burns.

Head-to-head record

Won: 23

Lost: 29

Drawn: 14

Last time we faced them at the Gate it finished 1-1 with Adam Webster scoring for us and Lloyd Kelly, with an og, for them, https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11659610/bristol-city-1-1-ipswich-lloyd-kelly-own-goal-costs-robins

They have started the season extremely well and occupy second place with 28 points and a game in hand.

Officials

Referee: Tom Nield

Assistants: Matthew Smith and Robert Hyde

Fourth official: Josh Smith

It is on the red button.

In mid-June boss Kieran McKenna signed a new deal that runs until the summer of 2027. The 37-year-old, former Manchester United assistant first-team coach, guided the Tractor Boys back to the Championship in his first full season in charge. He had this to say ahead of the game: https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23875797.bristol-city-v-ipswich-town-kieran-mckennas-pre-match-thoughts/

They signed Manchester City goalkeeper Cieran Slicker on a three-year deal. They picked up the Scotland Under-21 international for an undisclosed fee.

In July George Hirst signed for an undisclosed fee. Hirst, 24, scored seven times on loan with the Tractor Boys last season to help them go up from League One.

They signed Chelsea forward Omari Hutchinson on a season-long loan deal. The 19-year-old, who has two caps for Jamaica, made his Premier League debut as a substitute in a 1-0 home defeat by Manchester City in January.

In late August they signed Manchester United defender Brandon Williams on a season-long loan.

They also added England youth international striker Dane Scarlett from Tottenham Hotspur on a season-long loan deal.

In September they signed ex-Manchester United defender Axel Tuanzebe on a one-year deal. United academy product Tuanzebe, 25, left Old Trafford in the summer.

My friend (Richard) and son (Alex) are both huge Ipswich fans and travelled from Jersey to Rotherham last Friday, in the end for nothing, they had this to say.

‘So much of football is about momentum. As we look back on 18 unbelievable months for Ipswich Town there is much optimism throughout our community. After two decades of disappointment, our club is flying and it's all about momentum. For the first time since our relegation from the Premier League in 2002, there is a feeling that the players, coaching staff, directors and supporters are all pulling in the same direction. Attendances and atmosphere at games back this up.

The momentum built during our promotion from League One last season has continued, with the first 11 games in the Championship bringing 28 points and a growing hope of back-to-back promotions. Quality over quantity was the approach to the summer transfer window, and the lack of change in personnel is a big part of the current run we are on. Momentum is key.

And so, for that very reason, the match against Bristol City can't come quickly enough. The international break has interrupted the flow of the season, with some players representing their countries, most notably Cam Burgess and Massimo Luongo for Australia and Wes Burns and Nathan Broadhead for Wales. Others have had the chance of a rest. Then there was the disruption of travelling to Rotherham, only for Storm Babet to cause the game to be cancelled just as our travelling supporters were driving into Yorkshire in terrible conditions on a Friday evening - not ideal! 

And Bristol City are only a few points off the playoff spots, with a long season ahead. This is a tough fixture.

The question for those connected with Ipswich is whether the international break will interrupt the momentum and bring an end to the winning run?

The growing confidence around the club can be seen everywhere on the pitch. On numerous occasions in recent months, when games have seemed to be slipping away, the players have found a way to win. They simply refuse to give up, and even the loss to Leeds saw a great team effort that almost sneaked a draw.

Whilst there are a couple of players injured, the Ipswich starting lineup is likely to include last season's League One player of the season Connor Chaplin, Nathan Broadhead who has already scored five goals this season, and full backs Leif Davis and Brandon Williams who create so many chances for the front men. Captain Sam Morsy drives standards from midfield alongside Luongo. In defence, Luke Wolfenden and Cam Burgess in front of the in-form goalkeeper Vaclav Hladky, have looked rock solid in some games, but at times have been exposed by opposition attackers due to the ambitious way we play from the back. They will be desperate for a clean sheet after several high scoring games.

A notable absence will be Wes Burns, who suffered a shoulder injury whilst on international duty with Wales in a friendly against Gibraltar. His likely replacement is the exciting Omari Hutchinson on loan from Chelsea, who has been capped twice by Jamaica. It's a shame Burns will miss the opportunity to face his old club Bristol City, having come up through the Robins academy and making 40 appearances for City. 

Other shared former players include two key figures in Ipswich Town history - Marcus Stewart who helped secure promotion to the Premier League in 2000 (known for his links with Bristol Rovers but also played 27 games for City) and Russell Osman, an important part of Sir Bobby Robson's UEFA and FA Cup winning squad of the 70s and 80s.

So bring on this first game back after the break. The run to Christmas will tell us a lot about both Ipswich and Bristol City's seasons. Hopefully our momentum keeps on rolling, as the team are cheered on by the 3,000 Town fans that will be attending.

Uppa Towen!’

Whatever happens I hope there is 90 minutes of solid positive/loud noise and support for Nigel Pearson. It appears that as fans we are pretty irrelevant and not even worthy of communication from the hierarchy. The least we can do is show our support for our manager and his team while we have them.

IMG_4302.png

IMG_3599.jpeg

@BigTone you are being tardy!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Have you just compared us to Rotherham? 

"It should be a successful event"? Arrogant or what. 

You are a newly promoted Championship side. We shouldnt fear you, you should fear us. Yes you've had a fantastic start, but let's not forget how QPR started last season...

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You are a newly promoted Championship side. We shouldnt fear you, you should fear us. Yes you've had a fantastic start, but let's not forget how QPR started last season...

At the moment they are riding a wave, it will be interesting to see what happens to them when they get a reality check, bubbles can have a nasty habit of bursting just when you least expect them to like tomorrow night maybe.

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Even the nice ones are so full of 💩

Never forget the last time  they were in this league midtable fodder like us , only 16k of them bothered to ever attend

• Like 1