IGNORED

Ipswich Town home match thread

34 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh Max. (I think)

32 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

He’s hit it well, but 22 of 24 championship keeper save that. 

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Fortunately for Max he has no competition. 

28 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

No way. 15 yards, close enough to comfortably save. 

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

5% kinell. 

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think suggesting he should save a routine shot is mocking him. 

Would you prefer we all said “well done Max you tried your best”?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say? 

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just watched the goal back, it’s 18 yards out and it’s horrendous keeping just for clarification. 

Thank goodness you clarified! 

• Haha 5

Thought we were the better side before they scored, Conway had to score with a free header from six yards out and Bell got in behind on the left a few times only to predictably waste it. 

Initial thought was Max must do better for the goal, but I haven’t seen it back. The goal gave them confidence and they were on top thereafter. Weimann’s been a passenger. 

Definitely not out of it. COYR.

EDIT: Just seen Fordy62’s post and Max 100% at fault. Very poor.

Edited by tin
  • Like 3

As I thought this would go. Ipswich are a major threat going forward but if we can tighten up a bit their back line will give you chances. Conway had to do better than head straight at the keeper from a central position early doors, and we've had a number of half chances in and around their box. We could yet get absolutely battered or with luck we get a draw and save our battering for the Welsh scum on saturday. 

Just now, Midlands Robin said:

Apart from some totally needless faffing around from our defence we haven't looked too bad at times. We certainly seem to have a bit more pace in our side. 

The problem is we're offering nothing down the right. Every attack has come from the left and I think Sam Bell has looked a little light weight here. He doesn't seem to be able to weight a cross decently and some of his first touches have been a bit too heavy. 

Plenty of hope for the second half but we need to use our pace and get a bit more direct. 

Agree with this. More opportunity on the right...  as soon as it goes to our centre back Ipswich immediately think left......need to switch it occaisionally....need a better final ball in the box....COYRs

• Like 1
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

I know a lot on here have followed the Ipswich thing pretty keenly in the last few years because of the Ashton link, but I haven’t.

Can someone very briefly explain how they have seemingly gone past us so quickly? Are they playing a risky financial game in classic Ashton style, or are they just recruiting better than us and (dare I say it) being well run?

I think their manager is pretty good by all accounts. Sometimes things just click, and that seems to be the case with them. 

I still think their bubble will burst though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think that was fine tbh. We’ve had chances. Even with one or two more senior players fit to start, this would be a different game. Issue is the squad is so depleted we can’t do too much to change this. 

Agree. I don't think it's been as bad as is made out. 

Retaining composure seems to be the difference - Conway free header, Max, Bell's delivery quality. 

4 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

In fairness, I think Ipswich's success is more due to great coaching than great players.

However, if SL were to try and replace Pearson, we wouldn't get a Kieran McKenna, we'd get a Dean Holden - that's the biggest issue with potentially letting Pearson go

I think you're spot on... Player for player Ipswich are no better than us but they are really well coached and look comfortable all over the pitch.

Nige has certainly made us more competitive but we lack any form of attacking cohesion. Its like we need a lucky break, or a mistake from the opposition to create a chance, whereas Ipswich look progressive and inventive when they attack.

1 minute ago, tin said:

Thought we were the better side before they scored, Conway had to score with a free header from six yards out and Bell got in behind on the left only to predictably waste it. 

Initial thought was Max must do better for the goal, but I haven’t seen it back. The goal gave them confidence and they were on top thereafter. Weimann’s been a passenger. 

Definitely not out of it. COYR

Be interested in what you think Conway & Bell have done that Weimann hasn’t.

Don’t think any of them have been better than the other two.

• Like 2

They aren't world beaters but sure as hell they are efficient with the ball and the way they play out, their players more comfortable taking the ball and driving past a man too. Something we miss dearly since Scott has moved on.

First 10 the whole team were at them and since it's become little battles and we aren't winning as many as them. 

We've had some fairly good opportunities but quality of delivery is really poor. 

Love the effort but really need some clear heads when we get the ball and get forward, too many times Knight and Weimann and Bell have given the ball away with a poor pass. 

Games still there to be taken for both teams. 

And final note, put your foot through it!! Too many balls bouncing in the box giving me a nervous breakdown. 

Been a decent game

We have done ok.

The looked very well coached.

When they break there movement and patterns are very good. Player all look comfortable on the ball.

There is still something for us in the game.

They are open at times and just we just lack a decent ball in in front of Conway.

Bell looks ineffective tonight.

Mehmeti could get some joy on the break.

Also Weiman needs to be replaced but can’t see we have anyone to replace him maybe Cornick - This squad is so light and it’s showing with lack of options for Nige.

We may need to score 2 to get at least a point.

13 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

My god we’re awful….:facepalm:

I’ve got to disagree. We were the better team in the first 20 minutes, but we’ve just got too many square pegs in round holes. You cannot fault the effort with the press.

Unfortunately, we’re just so scrappy at the back, trashing away at the ball, no intelligent thinking. I’d suggest it was more the fact that we’ve given them back possession in dangerous areas, rather than them being overly better than us. 

Our squad is so threadbare it makes me wince. We’ve got to be honest, MoL isn’t good enough to be number one, we are toothless at the moment and we keep trying to play balls that just aren’t there. 

I’m still strangely positive though that we could get at least a draw. I’m trying to believe that the squad is working hard enough to create some chances. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

I know a lot on here have followed the Ipswich thing pretty keenly in the last few years because of the Ashton link, but I haven’t.

Can someone very briefly explain how they have seemingly gone past us so quickly? Are they playing a risky financial game in classic Ashton style, or are they just recruiting better than us and (dare I say it) being well run?

Better head coach for a start . The difference on the pitch is plain to see - full credit to McKenna (thing that’s his name). Pearson has done a relatively ok job - but this mindset from some that he is the best we can do is very shortsighted 

And let’s not forget they have an owner who is backing is horse 

Ipswich have always been a tidy club, they just had a wobble for a few years.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, One Team said:

Yep, and just stood still and watched their shot against the post. He may well redeem himself second half of course but that was a poor half from him. 

It's a great strike and Max will see it late (city players blocking his view), trying to fault him on that one would be as ridiculous as me saying "he left it because he knew it would hit the post and go out."

Just now, Edgy Red said:

I think you're spot on... Player for player Ipswich are no better than us but they are really well coached and look comfortable all over the pitch.

Nige has certainly made us more competitive but we lack any form of attacking cohesion. Its like we need a lucky break, or a mistake from the opposition to create a chance, whereas Ipswich look progressive and inventive when they attack.

I think the attacking cohesion comes from a wide front 3, too far apart to interchange with little runs off their partner, Conway came to prominence playing as a 2 with Nakhi, but that means us playing 5-3-2 which we just can’t do now - see the 1st 35 mins vs Coventry as the example. Another problem for NP and the players to solve

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Be interested in what you think Conway & Bell have done that Weimann hasn’t.

Don’t think any of them have been better than the other two.

Fair point. At least Conway and Bell took up a few promising positions, even if they did waste them. 

Conway looks a bit lost up top on his own, mind. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, sinenomine said:

It doesn't get any better viewing

As a member of the goalies union, he will be questioning the space the player got. It bounces just in front of him which always makes it tricky. Equally it has ended up going through him and he will know he should have had it. More than one player at fault however.

• Like 3