IGNORED

Ipswich Town home match thread

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If I was SL seeing this it would back up the squad needing help in investment, Not poor coaches in need of replacing 

In fairness, I think Ipswich's success is more due to great coaching than great players.

However, if SL were to try and replace Pearson, we wouldn't get a Kieran McKenna, we'd get a Dean Holden - that's the biggest issue with potentially letting Pearson go

• Like 3

We are in this but defensively we are a mess. I’m bored of saying it but we just lack any real quality. Effort will only get you so far. 
The lack of investment is clear to see. There will be more goals but my negative head is telling me they will pick us off in the second half. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

For me it always happens when I just start to feel comfortable with him. 

He’s a bit like a “x days since last accident” poster, but can never really get past 30 odd. 

We have discussed and agreed on this before Fordy. Seem to be a fair few on here who can’t bear to hear criticism of Max. But for me, his error rate still feels a bit too high for this level, and I’m not convinced he is the standard of keeper we need to push us the next level of play off contention.

I suspect most managers - likely including Pearson - might consider the goalkeeping position to be a priority for upgrade.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, 22A said:

Thanks for thuis I was about to ask who was (meant to be) marking Broadhead? He was standing on his own when the ball was passed to him.

Happened constantly throughout it seems everyone is sucked in by the ball and always leaves a man over in space.

Not entirely surprising given what a makeshift back 4 we have but frustrating, especially since we have looked fairly positive going forwards when we can actually turn the ball over.

Battled away, Ipswich worth their lead.

They look more likely to score than us still, but longer it stays 1-0 you never know. Bell frustrating but got in a few good positions. Just got to hang it there and far from out of the match yet. Defence sadly looking too often what it is, makeshift.

Tough- as expected.

Probably needed to capitalise on a decent start, thought Conway could have done better with his header & need him & Bell to get in the game more.

Towards half time we started to look like what we are, a team with a completely makeshift back four, couple of poor clearances by King & Sykes (very good otherwise) too far from his man.

Best hope is to try & stay in it & pinch a goal. Ipswich are good but cynical, plenty of time wasting, moaning to the ref & couple of sly trips.

Apart from some totally needless faffing around from our defence we haven't looked too bad at times. We certainly seem to have a bit more pace in our side. 

The problem is we're offering nothing down the right. Every attack has come from the left and I think Sam Bell has looked a little light weight here. He doesn't seem to be able to weight a cross decently and some of his first touches have been a bit too heavy. 

Plenty of hope for the second half but we need to use our pace and get a bit more direct. 

• Like 1

I know a lot on here have followed the Ipswich thing pretty keenly in the last few years because of the Ashton link, but I haven’t.

Can someone very briefly explain how they have seemingly gone past us so quickly? Are they playing a risky financial game in classic Ashton style, or are they just recruiting better than us and (dare I say it) being well run?

• Like 1