IGNORED

Lots of new posters

Gillies Downs Leeds

17 minutes ago, Thomas_red said:

But apart from the stadium, the training ground, the financial stability to ride out tough economic times / covid, the play-off final what have the Lansdowns ever done for us?

Isn’t letting the ground/club fall apart the bare minimum of owning a football club? I appreciate not every owner does that but it’s not a huge achievement to me.

Not getting promoted isn’t really an achievement either?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Thomas_red said:

But apart from the stadium, the training ground, the financial stability to ride out tough economic times / covid, the play-off final what have the Lansdowns ever done for us?

That's a pretty meagre return from 25 years of ownership. As I've said before no one forced him to buy the football club, those financial commitments come hand in hand with owning it. No point buying a house and just letting it decay. It needs maintaining and upgrading every so often.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's a pretty meagre return from 25 years of ownership. As I've said before no one forced him to buy the football club, those financial commitments come hand in hand with owning it. No point buying a house and just letting it decay. It needs maintaining and upgrading every so often.

Agreed broadly but not many do it year after year.

If you look at other clubs, they change ownership relatively frequently. At times that fresh push, that fresh investment can come from a change.

Hull are on their 3rd owner in 15 years. He is currently pushing now but give it a year or 2 if they don't go up..Birmingham 3rd or 4th, likewise.

Exceptions to the rule of course, Gibson at Middlesbrough think he first got involved in late 1980s and getting to the PL in mid 1990s at a similar time to the Riverside helped a lot.

Stoke another but they are backed by a betting company in effect. Technically their owners. John Coates however is committed, Jon Lansdown?? Being in PL will have helped with financing at times too.

Others such as sovereign wealth funds or oligarchs aren't too comparable.

It feels like the end of the line with SL though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

By doing his best to build a sustainable club whilst still being competitive would suggest that he very much sees himself as a custodian of the club rather than going gung-ho ho and risking everything on short term success.

I agree he doesn't think like the majority of fans, but personally I am glad about that.

@phantom has already responded along the same lines I was going to. Obviously appreciate your views Rich and I normally agree with you on a fair bit. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed broadly but not many do it year after year.

If you look at other clubs, they change ownership relatively frequently. At times that fresh push, that fresh investment can come from a change.

Hull are on their 3rd owner in 15 years. He is currently pushing now but give it a year or 2 if they don't go up..Birmingham 3rd or 4th, likewise.

Exceptions to the rule of course, Gibson at Middlesbrough think he first got involved in late 1980s and getting to the PL in mid 1990s at a similar time to the Riverside helped a lot.

Stoke another but they are backed by a betting company in effect. Technically their owners. John Coates however is committed, Jon Lansdown?? Being in PL will have helped with financing at times too.

Others such as sovereign wealth funds or oligarchs aren't too comparable.

Not great examples really, Mr Pops. Hull have been to the premier league and FA Cup Final in recent times. Birmingham also plus League Cup Finalists. Stoke a long stint in the premier league, particularly as I was responding to Thomas Red asking sardonically, "what have the Lansdowns ever done for us."

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not great examples really, Mr Pops. Hull have been to the premier league and FA Cup Final in recent times. Birmingham also plus League Cup Finalists. Stoke a long stint in the premier league, particularly as I was responding to Thomas Red asking sardonically, "what have the Lansdowns ever done for us."

Yes they did better, point is a number of them changed investors and this gave fresh impetus.

Our big error or a big error was Janaury 2008, too timid.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

And don't forget, that was from not pushing on in the January window when we were well placed for an automatic promotion place.

And @Thomas_red has made 46 posts in 12 years. Draw your own conclusions there.

Decent tenure low engagement? 😂 

I was trying to illustrate that the poster sounded a lot like Monty Python sketch.

Look, I wanted more success and probably with some better decisions on and off the pitch we might have done it. The LJ era for example was successive almost playoff seasons. Football is cruel and the margins are fine. 

All I’m saying is that the Lansdowns have acted with good intentions and made solid investments in club infrastructure as well as tried to establish a club with a business model (until our stadium development we didn’t even have corporate boxes). 

Maybe it is time for new owners and some fresh direction. But we’re only a slightly attractive proposition due to that investment and Lansdown will rightly want a decent fee for years of piling cash in…

@Davefevs that car analogy is beneath you. A depreciating asset vs a revenue generating business... Really? Come on 😉 

Edited by Thomas_red

4 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Who or what on earth is Dog?

Am I right in thinking that the OP is suggesting that Bristol Sport are creating accounts purely to try and post positive things about the Lansdowns? OTIB has it's very own conspiracy theory!

I fully realise that on this forum SL is now the devil incarnate and Nige is almost reaching godlike status, but this forum consists of less than 10% of the fanbase, and the vocal people here probably less than 2-3%.

I don't think I have ever heard any City fan I speak to that isn't a user of this forum complain about the Lansdowns in a really serious manner and it certainly has not got worse recently. I will admit it's not a huge sample and very anecdotal, but it really doesn't feel to me like there is a groudswell of opinion against the current owners.

I havew to admit that SL is certainly not perfect, his managerial appointments are hit and miss and have certainly been headscratching at times, but I do not believe that he doesn't have the best interests of the club at heart. Having said that, he has the best interests of sport in Bristol as a whole at heart (fewers aside), and I see how the two can be perceived as not always being compatible,

People talk about the nest egg comment, it seems to me that it is a fairly sensible policy to have, and fully in keeping with the stated policy of making the club as sustainable as possible.

I will agree that the whole Bristol Sport model is very 'corporate' and has taken away the feeling of it being 100% 'our' club, this is an opinion I voiced fairly regularly on here when Bristol Sport was first mooted as a concept but I was pretty much ignored then. I have now come to accept that it is a necessary evil in order for us to compete at the level we are now at. And just think how much less personal it will become should we suddenly be owned by a large multinational corporation or another country's wealth fund!

For most fans, we are regularly competing at a higher level than at any time in our supporting lives, so it seems to me that even ignoring the ground and HPC SL would leave with a positive legacy should he disappear any time soon. The fact that people are unhappy with not being top 6 in the Championship should say everything, when most of our history has been spent bobbing around at the bottom of this division or top half of the one below.

Should it be that Nigel Pearson is the one to go, then so far as I can see he has done a decent job without being amazing - managers such as that come and go over the years and he wouldn't be the first person to depart a job because he doesn't get on with the boss.

You were not in the front carriages on the way back from 'diff then I assume?

Fairly light-hearted discussions all things considered, but one lad argued backing SL and got roundly hammered for said opinion.

Don't think you realise how much damage not backing Nige at all besides a loan after the Scott sale has damaged the average fans opinion on him. The average fan sees £23m pocketed and nothing reinvested and that's it.

The second point in bold is what myself, Fevs, and others who look at the finances thought would have been the case following the 'Pillars' plan talked about under Cotts back in 2015.

As Dawe stepped back and SL let MA/LJ have control and backed them to the hilt, where was the sustainability then?

If he and JL stepped back from the club, remained underwriters, and appointed an experienced Chairman on a longer terms and structured plan and actually stuck to it, I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for the both of them.

Namely because, as per point three in bold - his track record of appointments while holding Chairmanship (Tinnion, GJ, Millen, McInnes O'Driscoll, Holden, Pearson) is pretty tragic when you consider Cotts was a Dawe (13-18) appointment by all accounts.

And he's just sacked NP

I'm ******* done.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

For what it's worth, sounds like we've been sold or very close too

I don't want to go on about boring fiscal stuff but would such a takeover were it to occur:

A) Pass the new beefed up Takeover regulations.

B) Do so quickly enough for January.

C) Pass via the FCA.

D) Produce a plan that satisfies the EFL in terms of compliance with all applicable refilaruins including EFL financial ones.

I won't ask for specifics but this is all covered?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Thomas_red said:

Decent tenure low engagement? 😂 

I was trying to illustrate that the poster sounded a lot like Monty Python sketch.

Look, I wanted more success and probably with some better decisions on and off the pitch we might have done it. The LJ era for example was successive almost playoff seasons. Football is cruel and the margins are fine. 

All I’m saying is that the Lansdowns have acted with good intentions and made solid investments in club infrastructure as well as tried to establish a club with a business model (until our stadium development we didn’t even have corporate boxes). 

Maybe it is time for new owners and some fresh direction. But we’re only a slightly attractive proposition due to that investment and Lansdown will rightly want a decent fee for years of piling cash in…

@Davefevs that car analogy is beneath you. A depreciating asset vs a revenue generating business... Really? Come on 😉 

Both “playthings” to their respective owners though….there’s your analogy / comparison. 😉

Nothing will be beneath me today.  I might be “on one”.  I bloody angry. 😄😄😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red Cloud said:

For what it's worth, sounds like we've been sold or very close too

100% not true 

In fact at the end of last week (before the Pearson announcement) we are further away than we have been in a long time 

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Any of the IP addresses match up with posters who are known employees?

Sadly don't have the exact Bristol Sport IP addresses, but without helping them in the future it's probably wise not to use their own names in their email addresses 

Of course the other tell tale sign they can't debate on anything historic about the club 

In the past they tend to drift away in a day or two 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looking back now it's been apparent for a long time the drive has dipped, sadly it was handed on a plate for JL to take on but it soon became apparent he was far from suitable or experienced enough 

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Exactly the above, fortunately other admin and members are very good at spotting banned members 

Though it does amaze me how a couple of people consistently rejoin under a different name, then get banned and keep repeating the same process 

Unbelievable that one person who was banned that was discussed already on this thread actually set up ANOTHER account this afternoon.... and guess what.... They're banned AGAIN!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

100% not true 

In fact at the end of last week (before the Pearson announcement) we are further away than we have been in a long time 

Sadly don't have the exact Bristol Sport IP addresses, but without helping them in the future it's probably wise not to use their own names in their email addresses 

Of course the other tell tale sign they can't debate on anything historic about the club 

In the past they tend to drift away in a day or two 

Looking back now it's been apparent for a long time the drive has dipped, sadly it was handed on a plate for JL to take on but it soon became apparent he was far from suitable or experienced enough 

Unbelievable that one person who was banned that was discussed already on this thread actually set up ANOTHER account this afternoon.... and guess what.... They're banned AGAIN!!

Oh, please do name and shame them!

I promise I’ll never give you any aggro again!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1