IGNORED

Realistic Options

And Its Smith

Not enamoured with Eustace or Rowett to be honest, always liked Nathan Jones at Luton but ruined his reputation a bit at Stoke then shot it to pieces at Saints so would have reservations now.

Of the names in the betting list Scott Parker stands out and has won two promotions but with far greater tools than Lansdown is likely to provide, Warnock could be worth a wild ride until the end of the season but would seem odd to move one experienced manager on to appoint another up to the same point as the first was contracted to anyway.....what then?

Dean Smith or Chris Wilder have proven records with more success than failures so would be solid options, outside of that I would be thinking left field I.e. abroad or possibly try and find the next Kieran McKenna but given we have nobody with any real contacts at senior level who would do the finding??

In short I have no idea and very little faith we'll improve on what we had anyway.

3 hours ago, Slack said:

Anyone thinking Steve may go full Ted Lasso ?

No. I’m more concerned though when his chips are down he looks to his mate - LJ post SC. 

I honestly would not put it past him to put Tinnion in charge as caretaker and give him a budget. He’s easily sweet-talked - Scott and Semenyo was all me. 

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Neil Warnock please - unrivalled record of getting teams promoted - he’d get us charging to the premier league very quickly, then we could pay him the bonus he deserves to retire in Cornwall and appoint a manager who could cope with the premier league ... 

Would never in a million years happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Would never in a million years happen.

I haven’t given up! Neil could be 92 and I’d still call for his appointment ... 🤣🍷 - all joking aside, our club has always seemed strangely scared of actually ‘making it’ - since Steve Coppell we’ve appointed a string of managers that no-one has really heard of, or thought of as being managerial material - hence the predictable lack of progress - we’ve had a born winner staring us in the face on a few occasions but we’ve been scared to appoint him.

Warnock, no one in the game has more promotions on their CV than him - and he’s often mentioned us as a club he’d be interested in managing - and, having spent a couple of hours in his company in a pub in Cornwall, I can only say, what a guy, what a genuine bloke - he cannot believe how all the prats (there’s plenty on here) fall for his pantomime villain routine which is well-practiced and obviously designed to mislead the media and deflect any attention away from his players - wherever he has been. How people still fall for that is just amazing.

Still, you’re probably right, we’ve had the chance to appoint the guy, who holds the record for the most promotions ever, on several occasions - but, being Bristol City, we preferred to go with the likes of (in no particular order) Keith Millen, Lee Johnson, Dean Holden, Derek McInnes, Sean O’Driscoll, John Pemberton ... 

Cotts was the exception and he gave us an incredible season that I won’t ever forget - but that was still only in division 3 ... we’ve now binned the guy who laid the foundations for Leicester City’s epic Premier League Champions season - he signed Riyad Mahrez for £450k and he spent a whole Sunday afternoon at Jamie Vardy’s house persuading him to sign for Leicester instead of Blackburn - shades of Brian Clough - Nigel Pearson - a great manager - I’ll miss him ...

• Like 1

I was having some thoughts about Rowett. 
Whilst I know his style of play has been generally disliked - even by Millwall fans, who generally haven’t ever been bothered at being a ‘lump it’ team, I was reminded of their game against us, very early in Rowett’s tenure at Millwall. 

They came to Ashton Gate on a Tuesday night and I was expecting the usual Millwall physicality and lump fest. 
But I was actually quite taken aback by the way they had set up against us. 

They were ‘officially’ in a 3-4-3 but the 2 wing backs were playing so high that it looked more like a 3-2-5. I was actually quite impressed. And they won the game, 2-1. 

I don’t really know too much about how things ended up being a style that even Millwall fans didn’t like, but I know that in that game at AG that night, I was really quite impressed by the ballsy way they played us. It honestly looked like they had 5 forwards - it was like something from the 1950’s! 

The pics below are 1) The official line up and 2) the heat map of the 2 wing backs. They were basically advanced wingers. 

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

Was the first time I saw Molumby.  Basically Jon-Dadi, Bradshaw and Jed split our 4 defenders when we had the ball, and Molumby was tasked with ratting out any balls that were played into midfield - Williams more his cover (but high) if we did penetrate…which we rarely did.

As they pinched ball high up, their wingbacks were well placed to overload us.  I don’t recall getting much ball into our wide players.  This was I think the game where we went 3 unchanged and Massengo and Nagy looked knackered.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I haven’t given up! Neil could be 92 and I’d still call for his appointment ... 🤣🍷 - all joking aside, our club has always seemed strangely scared of actually ‘making it’ - since Steve Coppell we’ve appointed a string of managers that no-one has really heard of, or thought of as being managerial material - hence the predictable lack of progress - we’ve had a born winner staring us in the face on a few occasions but we’ve been scared to appoint him.

Warnock, no one in the game has more promotions on their CV than him - and he’s often mentioned us as a club he’d be interested in managing - and, having spent a couple of hours in his company in a pub in Cornwall, I can only say, what a guy, what a genuine bloke - he cannot believe how all the prats (there’s plenty on here) fall for his pantomime villain routine which is well-practiced and obviously designed to mislead the media and deflect any attention away from his players - wherever he has been. How people still fall for that is just amazing.

Still, you’re probably right, we’ve had the chance to appoint the guy, who holds the record for the most promotions ever, on several occasions - but, being Bristol City, we preferred to go with the likes of (in no particular order) Keith Millen, Lee Johnson, Dean Holden, Derek McInnes, Sean O’Driscoll, John Pemberton ... 

Cotts was the exception and he gave us an incredible season that I won’t ever forget - but that was still only in division 3 ... we’ve now binned the guy who laid the foundations for Leicester City’s epic Premier League Champions season - he signed Riyad Mahrez for £450k and he spent a whole Sunday afternoon at Jamie Vardy’s house persuading him to sign for Leicester instead of Blackburn - shades of Brian Clough - Nigel Pearson - a great manager - I’ll miss him ...

Imagine being someone who built a PL winning squad, only to be apparently binned by a failed former BCFC manager who is now technically your boss. Wow! Only in BS3!!

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smith did alright at Brentford but don't think he did anything amazing there. Maybe laid a couple of foundations.

Frank took them onto a new level and had more variety tactically and though Smith probably but not definitely had a better PPG than Frank with their respective PL clubs.

Aston Villa budget surely significantly outstripped that of Brentford up there Norwich was more comparable and Smith and his record there hmm.

Smith wouldn't be the worst of all time but wouldn't enthuse me either.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was the first time I saw Molumby.  Basically Jon-Dadi, Bradshaw and Jed split our 4 defenders when we had the ball, and Molumby was tasked with ratting out any balls that were played into midfield - Williams more his cover (but high) if we did penetrate…which we rarely did.

As they pinched ball high up, their wingbacks were well placed to overload us.  I don’t recall getting much ball into our wide players.  This was I think the game where we went 3 unchanged and Massengo and Nagy looked knackered.

I don't know why that game stood out for me so much but it did

A team of inferior individuals (aside one or two exceptions) dominated the whole game against us and Molumby was tremendous

• Like 1