IGNORED

Realistic Options

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I bow to the superior knowledge that the likes of yourself and @spudski and @Davefevs have when it comes to tactics and styles.

But what you describe is exactly what I’ve said a number of times both before and after yesterdays sacking: we have a terrible track record of managing any sort of transition in a way that provides continuity and consistency.

We either change everything completely. Or we seem to equate consistency with an internal appointment and all that they’ve given us is consistent disappointment.

I’m not as furious as many others over NPs departure, but I’m utterly depressed at the prospect of us making the same mistake again.

Just out of interest, do any of the three of you see anyone among the lists of potential names who’d provide us with a smoother transition? Are there others whose ethos and style would fit better with the players we’ve got? 

It’s impossible to guess how a new manager eases transition from old manager.  But Nige had made us hard to beat, instilled good defensive capabilities, so maybe Rowett.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I bow to the superior knowledge that the likes of yourself and @spudski and @Davefevs have when it comes to tactics and styles.

But what you describe is exactly what I’ve said a number of times both before and after yesterdays sacking: we have a terrible track record of managing any sort of transition in a way that provides continuity and consistency.

We either change everything completely. Or we seem to equate consistency with an internal appointment and all that they’ve given us is consistent disappointment.

I’m not as furious as many others over NPs departure, but I’m utterly depressed at the prospect of us making the same mistake again.

Just out of interest, do any of the three of you see anyone among the lists of potential names who’d provide us with a smoother transition? Are there others whose ethos and style would fit better with the players we’ve got? 

Well we presume what will be expected from the new coach stays the same: develop youth, buy cheap and add value. Make the squad greater than the sum of it's parts. Work within tight (midtable) budgets.

Eustace and Rowett have both done some of those things, but with quite defensive/hard to beat styles of play. Eustace fired in part IIRC for the football not being exciting enough for the owners?

I really don't know - some of my best options I would say are in jobs currently. Could we poach someone like Liam Rosenior or more realistically a Steven Schumacher type? Micheal Duff widely considered an excellent coach at improving players too. 

The bigger names not in jobs I don't see working under all of those above conditions, unless SL promises them big cash to spend (change of strategy, again).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I don't believe it will be any of the 3 that Sky said we are interested in, it will be an "up and coming" lower league coach. 

I agree...more likely to be someone like Michael Beale or Liam Manning...

Michael Beale as a No1 =

65 games, Win %age 61% 

Liam Manning Career = 

140 games, Win %age 47%

Both will be a cheaper option than most and SL will like this🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I agree...more likely to be someone like Michael Beale or Liam Manning...

Michael Beale as a No1 =

65 games, Win %age 61% 

Liam Manning Career = 

140 games, Win %age 47%

Both will be a cheaper option than most and SL will like this🤣

Beale won’t be cheap having been at Rangers and is full of himself.

Manning will cost compo.

I don’t think either will be cheap all-told….but that’s only my view.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s impossible to guess how a new manager eases transition from old manager.  But Nige had made us hard to beat, instilled good defensive capabilities, so maybe Rowett.

19 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well we presume what will be expected from the new coach stays the same: develop youth, buy cheap and add value. Make the squad greater than the sum of it's parts. Work within tight (midtable) budgets.

Eustace and Rowett have both done some of those things, but with quite defensive/hard to beat styles of play. Eustace fired in part IIRC for the football not being exciting enough for the owners?

I really don't know - some of my best options I would say are in jobs currently. Could we poach someone like Liam Rosenior or more realistically a Steven Schumacher type? Micheal Duff widely considered an excellent coach at improving players too. 

The bigger names not in jobs I don't see working under all of those above conditions, unless SL promises them big cash to spend (change of strategy, again).

Thanks. William Still has been mentioned a few times as a possible left field candidate. Would he be realistic, a good fit?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

You do realise this means nothing, right? Odds are shortening simply because of where people are placing their bets. Bookies know nothing, just like us. 

Really if that’s the case where is Sir Alex or I would like to put a bet on Big Ron, of course they mean something they don’t need to be in the know to create an educated list.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Manning will cost compo.

Not sure Beale would come probably enjoying a nice compo package that he potentially would only give up for a biggie.

Edited by Kimpton

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Manning will cost compo.

I don't think Beale will demand high wages regardless of his Rangers post....he's only been a number 1 for 65 matches in total..

In all seriousness, what will a manager coming in be able to change? 

We still have soo many injuries and a threadbare squad, with no transfer window in sight.

I can't see this starting well atall, that combined with fan frustration... 

I still can't see the logic 

• Like 1

Timing of the next appointment will be interesting - feels like this time it needs to be a quick appointment.

• Earlier this week - they were already pretty much lined up.
  • End of week/early next week - see above or TBF to the club they've got a plan, drawn up a list and got their man quickly.
  • Anything into end of next week or week after - They had no plan and I will be worried the process not going as easily as they expected i.e targets are turning us down.

IMO the new man should be at the Sheff Wednesday game, at least watching, if not in full charge yet.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, City1984 said:

Sorry not read thread yet as only just seen news and head is spinning but thought I'd throw another unrealistic name out there (  apologies if already mentioned, as I say not had time to rad yet) 

Graham Potter 

That would see his career going like this:

Norway

Swansea/Championship 

Brighton/moving up Prem

Chelsea/Europe

Bristol City/15th Championship (but with a "nest egg")

I can't see it meself, but .... what do you think?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

And if Coventry get turned over by WBA tonight !……….👀👀👀

I've been considering this possibility. 

Coventry are on a run of something like 1 win in 11. Lose tonight and that will be 3 losses in a row. I can't see they getting rid but that's a far worse record than Pearson was on. 

I'd personally not want him here but I could potentially see it happen.

I'm sure Tinnion and Robins must have played together? So if Tinnion is leading on recruitment then if they know each other then that could come into it.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've bene considering this possibility. 

Coventry are on a run of something like 1 win in 11. Lose tonight and that will be 3 losses in a row. I can't see they getting rid but that's a far worse record than Pearson was on. 

I'd personally not want him here but I could potentially see it happen.

I wouldn't rule him out. He spent a great deal of money in the summer and he hasn't been getting the results this season. Loose tonight and he could find himself out of a job in a day or so.

I don't agree with the sacking of Nige, quite frankly its embarrassing but dealing with the situation we're in, looking at who is out there, I'd go Eustace.

• Played good football with Kidderminster, had some success and reached the playoffs (albeit much lower division)
  • Has experience at international level with Ireland. For some reason I like managers that get themselves out there and do this
  • Did well with Birmingham. Widely touted to finish bottom, he got them performing really well. All whilst dealing with off pitch nonsense which shows he can shut out the noise, focus on the football, connect with the players and get results. He might need that experience here if there is fallout from the sacking....
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moulin Rougier said:

I don't agree with the sacking of Nige, quite frankly its embarrassing but dealing with the situation we're in, looking at who is out there, I'd go Eustace.

• Played good football with Kidderminster, had some success and reached the playoffs (albeit much lower division)
  • Has experience at international level with Ireland. For some reason I like managers that get themselves out there and do this
  • Did well with Birmingham. Widely touted to finish bottom, he got them performing really well. All whilst dealing with off pitch nonsense which shows he can shut out the noise, focus on the football, connect with the players and get results. He might need that experience here if there is fallout from the sacking....

Worth noting we also have a Irish contingent of players who will have worked with him already. Potential for Curtis Fleming to remain in position for that consistency with the players I suppose as well?

He will also know Rob Dickie from spell at QPR.

Edited by ollywhyte