IGNORED

Realistic Options

And Its Smith

All this talk of Eustace, Jones, Rowett is just making my blood boil even more. 

If they are seen as the people to take us forward then FML. 

If we were talking about bringing in someone like Potter or Kompany (if he leaves Burnley) then I could understand as that would be forward thinking. But Eustace, Jones or Rowett? Nah. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

All this talk of Eustace, Jones, Rowett is just making my blood boil even more. 

If they are seen as the people to take us forward then FML. 

If we were talking about bringing in someone like Potter or Kompany (if he leaves Burnley) then I could understand as that would be forward thinking. But Eustace, Jones or Rowett? Nah. 

In fairness, they're not quite as bad as some people are making out. Eustace was doing a good job at Birmingham. Rowett has done a decent job at Millwall.

Agree with you last point though - Pearson to Rowett (who seems the most rumoured) feels like a rather sideways move.

Pearson has been fired for being the manager of a midtable Championship club who have failed to get into the top 6 despite working on a small budget, whilst he has also received criticism (rightly or wrongly) for the style of football his team plays.

Meanwhile, Rowett has been fired for being the manager of a midtable Championship club who have failed to get into the top 6 despite working on a small budget, whilst he has also received criticism (rightly or wrongly) for the style of football his team plays.

I don't really see much logic in going from one to the other. 

3 minutes ago, Kimpton said:

I’ve stuck a 10er on Rowett so it’s win win if he becomes manager I get £90 and if he doesn’t then we don’t need to see his 352 snoozeball. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Frank Lampard please, we want to grow so let’s go big time.

Oh look another newbie. Lampard eff me sideways.

• Like 1

So utterly depressing.

None of the candidates are an upgrade on Pearson.

Pearson had a respected track record with the club, knew the squad, and sticking with him came with the benefit of established popularity - and patience - from the fans, as well as being Ioved by the players. None of the bang average candidates get anywhere near justifying throwing all of that away.

Mad. Just mad.

It’s going to be messy at Ashton Gate next game. And if the new guy opens with three straight defeats without any of that established popularity to fall back on - it could be absolute carnage.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kimpton said:

I would be happy with Frank Lampard brings contacts and has manager young players did ok at Derby no more but prefer him to the likes of other names mentioned.

Who wouldn't with Tomoroi, Mount etc plus excessive overspending. Still failed though didn't he.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Who wouldn't with Tomoroi, Mount etc plus excessive overspending. Still failed though didn't he.

Fair point he should’ve done better I agree but I think that was his first job.

1 minute ago, Galley is our king said:

So you joined 17 MINUTES AGO!!!!

Sod off sunshine...

Yes so what whats wrong with that? 

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

If it does turn out to be Rowett appointed, then this is a recent and decent analysis of his style of play whilst at Millwall. 

I can't see how he will be a decent fit with the players we have to hand. 

Interesting that it mentions he was released as the board were disappointed he couldn't achieve the play offs...

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/team-analysis/efl-championship-202324-millwall-tactical-analysis-tactics

For all those fans saying, big deal sacking NP, he's just an expendable coach, a new one can come in and progress the team....here is the reality.

That theory only works if you have a succession strategy, you have a vision and a plan - in terms of playing ethos and style and therefore manager. Do we have that??

Rowett appears, in footballing style terms, is very different to NP. So the squad NP has assembled doesn't on paper appear to suit Rowett's style. 

So from a squad/footballing point of view, SL could have us back at square one, with a manager (In Rowett's case with little/no record of success) who treads water for rest of season, wants a whole load of cash to rebuild in Jan/Summer and so the Lansdown cycle of stagnation goes on. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

For all those fans saying, big deal sacking NP, he's just an expendable coach, a new one can come in and progress the team....here is the reality.

That theory only works if you have a succession strategy, you have a vision and a plan - in terms of playing ethos and style and therefore manager. Do we have that??

Rowett appears, in footballing style terms, is very different to NP. So the squad NP has assembled doesn't on paper appear to suit Rowett's style. 

So from a squad/footballing point of view, SL could have us back at square one, with a manager (In Rowett's case with little/no record of success) who treads water for rest of season, wants a whole load of cash to rebuild in Jan/Summer and so the Lansdown cycle of stagnation goes on. 

Exactly that 👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I bow to the superior knowledge that the likes of yourself and @spudski and @Davefevs have when it comes to tactics and styles.

But what you describe is exactly what I’ve said a number of times both before and after yesterdays sacking: we have a terrible track record of managing any sort of transition in a way that provides continuity and consistency.

We either change everything completely. Or we seem to equate consistency with an internal appointment and all that they’ve given us is consistent disappointment.

I’m not as furious as many others over NPs departure, but I’m utterly depressed at the prospect of us making the same mistake again.

Just out of interest, do any of the three of you see anyone among the lists of potential names who’d provide us with a smoother transition? Are there others whose ethos and style would fit better with the players we’ve got? 

Still angry at the whole situation here, but now the most depressing thought is just the fact that we are now almost certainly looking at 2 to 3 years of mediocrity at best, and potentially playing god awful football depending on who comes in. Only to probably repeat the ****ing process all over again at the end of it.

All hope and optimism has just faded to be honest, I have little interest in seeing us spend a load of money just to potentially see poor football and achieve potentially less. Feeling apathetic towards City for the near to medium future now which is the worst of all.

35 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

This is where we have been before .

1) Sack manager
2) New Manager doesn't want squad as doesn't fit his style
3) Buy players & increase size of squad at great cost
4) Improvement not seen or start to struggle
5) See No.1

Where those teams that SL gets all gooey over succeed, is the planning for the next man.
If they play a high press, employ a manager that uses a high press. Bringing in a manager renowned for possession football into a direct side isn't going to work.
Sadly, I doubt that Jon & Steve even consider this. 

Can't help feeling if we get the right man in and it works, it will be pure accident .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nugget said:

Wouldn’t rule out Curtis getting it if he has a good start 

I absolutely would.

His family home is in the North East, he’s Nige’s appointment & we are looking elsewhere.

Might not even be in charge for a game.

No chance.

8 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Good joke but it’s not though, is it? All three have had some success in the Championship. Who would you go for, Pete? 

A Cardiff fan who basically refuses to acknowledge academies exist, a man who’s had one season at this level and finished below us in 17th, and a man who’s last 2 (maybe even 3) clubs have had fans chanting that the football is shit. I see none as an understandable upgrade or change on what we had. 

I’ve said I’d personally try out luck for Carsley at the FA. Probably get knocked back, then test the nerve of Portsmouth and Oxford for Mousinho/Manning respectively. 

Not that there is any love from me towards Gary Rowett (in fact I’m not arsed at all to be honest as our manager should be Nigel Pearson), but I don’t quite get the outrage from people towards him.

I’d imagine our next appointment will be much, much worse than Gary Rowett, he’s actually capable of being employed by another championship club. I expect our manager will be like Cole Skuse or something equally as mental.

• Like 1