IGNORED

Sound of the City Oct 30th

REDOXO

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from Steve again until his departing message when he sells the club.

At this point I think he's extremely hurt by all the criticism recieved by City fans, and I think he actually really dislikes a sizeable section of our fanbase.

But you reap what you sow, and the absolute DISRESPECT to Bristol City fans to turn up IN PERSON to speak to Bears rugby fans at the weekend, and then not even bothering to do a radio interview to explain the decision of sacking the first team football manager is beyond the ******* pale. 

It's over Steve.

Well said, fella.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from Steve again until his departing message when he sells the club.

At this point I think he's extremely hurt by all the criticism recieved by City fans, and I think he actually really dislikes a sizeable section of our fanbase.

But you reap what you sow, and the absolute DISRESPECT to Bristol City fans to turn up IN PERSON to speak to Bears rugby fans at the weekend, and then not even bothering to do a radio interview to explain the decision of sacking the first team football manager is beyond the ******* pale. 

It's over Steve.

Bravo! Post of the day for me mate. 

The point about the rugby fans vs football fans is stark. 

He’s finished here. All respect gone. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 97Red said:

Not in my view. It'll be 'Pearson laid the foundations, and should have got the chance to see it out'. Especially when you consider what he's done to get us in the position we are now. 

Nor mine. Even if the new Bloke is a success, I'd still have a bitter taste in my mouth, the way the Lansdowns have treated Pearson. 

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Bullseye.

I just do not know , cannot fathom, what is going through his head at the moment. 

Clearly he’s ‘had enough’ with City and the fans and wants out - so why not just take a huge step back and let NP get on with it, as he was doing, until he sells up? No he couldn’t help himself.

The sacking smacks of jealousy of NP’s popularity - a spiteful act.

As a big advocate of his over the years, I cannot understand how a seemingly normal, intelligent and successful man has backed himself into this corner - like a child saying “well he hit my first” - it’s absolutely pathetic. What a sad man.

How on earth he, or anyone else cannot come out and speak to the fans now is beyond belief. 

You’re a guardian of our football club, something far greater than you, you’re not a god  - this isn’t one of your businesses - you’ve lost the plot mate. I never, never thought it would happen but it’s Glazier-esque stuff. Any good you may have done is being wiped away, your legacy tarnished. 

Lansdown you’ve shown yourself unfit of the honour and responsibility of being the guardian of a football club. 

And what is also astonishing, but somehow not surprising - is that there is no one around him, no one at the club saying…hang on, this just isn’t right.

The Lansdown’s are taking down everyone with them, every board member, every senior employee. They must be shitting themselves, but you reap what you sow - Gould, Ashton, Alexander, Pearson could also see through it and several got out before their reputations went down the toilet. NP went on for the fans, not for the board. 

But we see you now Steve - we see you.

It’s over.

Top post.

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If you follow Thorpe on twitter he comes across as someone who looks back favourably of his time here and still thinks highly of the club. I don’t think he would say anything deliberately without considering the value it adds. 

Tony is often at Ashton Gate watching a match. He sits in the block where former players sit. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Bullseye.

I just do not know , cannot fathom, what is going through his head at the moment. 

Clearly he’s ‘had enough’ with City and the fans and wants out - so why not just take a huge step back and let NP get on with it, as he was doing, until he sells up? No he couldn’t help himself.

As a big advocate of his over the years, I cannot understand how a seemingly normal, intelligent and successful man has backed himself into this corner - like a child saying “well he hit my first” - it’s absolutely pathetic. What a sad man.

How on earth he, or anyone else cannot come out and speak to the fans now is beyond belief. 

You’re a guardian of our football club, something far greater than you, you’re not a god  - this isn’t one of your businesses - you’ve lost the plot mate. I never, never thought it would happen but it’s Glazier-esque stuff. Any good you may have done is being wiped away, your legacy tarnished. 

Lansdown you’ve shown yourself unfit of the honour and responsibility of being the guardian of a football club. 

And what is also astonishing, but somehow not surprising - is that there is no one around him, no one at the club saying…hang on, this just isn’t right.

The Lansdown’s are taking down everyone with them, every board member, every senior employee. They must be shitting themselves, but you reap what you sow - Gould, Ashton, Alexander, Pearson could also see through it and several got out before their reputations went down the toilet. NP went on for the fans, not for the board. 

It’s over.

Shame this post is ‘lost’ within a larger thread as it summarises perfectly exactly how I and no doubt many others now see this. It’s been becoming clear for a while but Big Nige has exposed Mr Lansdown. Maybe there will be some collateral damage for one or two others as well who were complicit in this and probably thought they were safe in his shadow. No more hiding, the vast majority of supporters can now see it very clearly. The point of no return has been reached. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, One Team said:

Bravo! Post of the day for me mate. 

The point about the rugby fans vs football fans is stark. 

He’s finished here. All respect gone. 

Hopefully he is finished. Possibly this is an opportunity to redress the balance with Lansdown. I’m not sure he has the bottle to stick it out at AG if he knows he has lost us punters (which is what we are to him), we want the idiot out. Clueless ****. Stabbed NP in the back.
BCFC will be here a lot longer than Lansdown.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Bullseye.

It’s over.

Fairly sure we've had disagreements on here in the past, and I can't even remember what about, but **** me that is one of the best posts I've ever seen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm genuinely beginning to wonder wether SL has the onset of dementia.

Mood swings, erratic decisions, lashing out at criticism, contradicting himself.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if in 12 months he was out of the public eye altogether.

This isn't a dig - dementia is a terrible, terrible incurable illness, which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - but he is showing all the early clinical indicators (as much as you can see from afar)

2p

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Hopefully he is finished. Possibly this is an opportunity to redress the balance with Lansdown. I’m not sure he has the bottle to stick it out at AG if he knows he has lost us punters (which is what we are to him), we want the idiot out. Clueless ****. Stabbed NP in the back.
BCFC will be here a lot longer than Lansdown.

That's what done it for me. 

It's not just about sacking a guy. 

It's the way he's done it. The setting him up to fail, giving impossible expectations. Going and talking with other managers weeks before stabbing him in the back then leaving him out to dry. 

It's disgraceful, unprofessional and frankly vile.

That is no way to treat somebody. Especially somebody that's trying there arse off to deliver under impossible circumstances.

On top of everything else. This I won't forgive or forget. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 14
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Glad it's not just me. He can't communicate very well. (Not saying I'd be any better, and hopefully none of their audio of me from 25+ years ago still exists). Thought @headhunter was decent, though I expect he triggered a few on here with his 'rolling one year contract' mantra 😀.

I know he thinks I’ve got it in for him but this is spot on.

@headhunter is articulate, you simply can’t keep having idiots like Wilkins on who can barely string a coherent sentence together or make a point that’s worth hearing.

There is already a stereotype nationally that thinks we all live on farms & keep our trousers up with string, there is no point in perpetuating it by allowing him on the radio to constantly make a fool of himself, even if he isn’t even smart enough to realise.

1 minute ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Mood swings, erratic decisions, lashing out at criticism, contradicting himself.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if in 12 months he was out of the public eye altogether.

This isn't a dig - dementia is a terrible, terrible incurable illness, which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - but he is showing all the early clinical indicators (as much as you can see from afar)

2p

Very difficult for us to know as we've only heard from him once on the radio in the past 12 months.

Maybe we could ask Bears fans, given they saw him in the flesh a couple of weeks ago? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

2p

Hmmm, I'd argue that one

It says a lot that Gary Owers nailed the situation and how most of us feel.

The guests who dialled in didn’t really touch on the Lansdown’s failings and the depth of feeling here and made it about Pearson and his replacement, albeit acknowledging what he achieved. Really missed some of the key points disappointingly. 

A shame really the likes of @Olé,@Kid in the Riot or @Davefevs weren’t on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very difficult for us to know as we've only heard from him once on the radio in the past 12 months.

Maybe we could ask Bears fans, given they saw him in the flesh a couple of weeks ago? 

Also @The Constant Rabbit

He didn't sound brilliant in his interview on Guernsey when be spoke about Scott, nest eggs, Luton etc. I'm not clinically qualified so it's hard to say as to whether he has anything like that but he was rambling a bit iirc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I know he thinks I’ve got it in for him but this is spot on.

@headhunter is articulate, you simply can’t keep having idiots like Wilkins on who can barely string a coherent sentence together or make a point that’s worth hearing.

There is already a stereotype nationally that thinks we all live on farms & keep our trousers up with string, there is no point in perpetuating it by allowing him on the radio to constantly make a fool of himself, even if he isn’t even smart enough to realise.

If I didn't know from all his public posts that he is a recovering alcoholic I'd swear he was constantly pissed when he calls.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

16 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

2p

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also @The Constant Rabbit

He didn't sound brilliant in his interview on Guernsey when be spoke about Scott, nest eggs, Luton etc. I'm not clinically qualified so it's hard to say as to whether he has anything like that but he was rambling a bit iirc.

No. He's just got sh1t fer brains when it comes to football. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's over Steve.

Well as someone who has supported the club far longer than the Lansdowns have, can I just say that the dislike now is absolutely mutual.

I would happily never hear from him again if the consequence of it was that he sold up & stayed in his tax exile.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

2p

I do wonder if he's not poorly, he setup ravenscroft over in Guernsey and then retired from that last year.  He's 71 and he must want Jon to be running the day to day for him.  

That said I think he want out one way or another. For whatever reason.

Regarding SL presently, I’m reminded of a quote from The Dark Knight:

”You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

Had Lansdown hypothetically sold off the club upon completion of the AG rebuild, I think he would’ve gone down as one of our most popular chairmen/owners.

But everything that’s going on now is destroying his legacy imo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Regarding SL presently, I’m reminded of a quote from The Dark Knight:

”You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

Had Lansdown hypothetically sold off the club upon completion of the AG rebuild, I think he would’ve gone down as one of our most popular chairmen/owners.

But everything that’s going on now is destroying his legacy imo.

I don’t know if we’re quite at the legacy destroyed point yet but I clearly don’t have the strength of feeling some do about the Lansdowns.

My own opinion is that the evidence is increasingly stacking up that we’re poorly run, have been for a while (possibly always have been), the communication is terrible, and that we’re doomed to relative obscurity and failure if it continues like this. 

I agree though that I think it’s probably in everyone’s best interests (including the Lansdowns) that we have new owners sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, One Team said:

It says a lot that Gary Owers nailed the situation and how most of us feel.

The guests who dialled in didn’t really touch on the Lansdown’s failings and the depth of feeling here and made it about Pearson and his replacement, albeit acknowledging what he achieved. Really missed some of the key points disappointingly. 

A shame really the likes of @Olé,@Kid in the Riot or @Davefevs weren’t on it. 

It was a boring show! Same old. 

11 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I've no idea 

It's literally bat sheet Cray Cray

2+2= 12 billion.

There's like no one taking a breather and 'everyone' appears to be looking for a hate figure.

Stepping back and breathing and calming down may help.

However at current rate we will have a breakaway club by teatime tomorrow.

Hope so. 

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No. He's just got sh1t fer brains when it comes to football. Nothing more, nothing less.

I Rarely listen to phone-ins so i've no idea who this Wilkins guy is but does he really deserve the dog's abuse he's getting on here ? at the end of the day he's a fellow City fan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I do wonder if he's not poorly, he setup ravenscroft over in Guernsey and then retired from that last year.  He's 71 and he must want Jon to be running the day to day for him.  

That said I think he want out one way or another. For whatever reason.

I also wonder if SL is spreading himself too thin?

He obviously has the Bristol Sport Umbrella with all the associated sports teams, he has the golf club development in Guernsey, he has his Botswana interests, he has a large stake in that specialist WiFi company, didn't he also have a stake in a large screen company that provided the big screen to Rovers? He's still got a stake in Hargreaves Lansdown, and probably has a lot more portfolio investments dotted about.

I do question why the need to try and keep making all this extra money? He's way past the traditional retirement age, his family are set up for generations with the money he's made, and yet he still wants more!!

From the beginning, he wanted to leave a legacy, but that legacy is going to be severely tested over the coming months\years. Wouldn't surprise me that the rate this is going, the club will get bought out and the first think that'll happen is the Lansdown stand will get renamed the Terry Cooper stand!