IGNORED

Tinns Speaks

CyderInACan

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/01/stephen-clemence-gillingham-head-coach

Stephen Clemence agrees deal to become Gillingham’s head coach... (another owner who thinks he knows football perhaps inspired by our own).

Neil Harris was sacked with the club 8th in League 2.

Change some names and this could be us:

This week American majority owner Brad Galinson said he wanted the incoming head coach to play an entertaining style and downplayed the significance of managerial experience.

“What is not on the [wanted] list are things like what formation do they play, have they coached before, are they old, or young, have they coached Premier League, have they been assistant coach, do they have League One, Two or National League experience?” Galinson said. “To me, those things are secondary to make the formula work.”

Clemence succeeds Harris, who was sacked because the club said they wanted “to go in a different direction”, a surprise change predominantly born of a desire to shift the style of play. Clemence will be given the title of head coach, not manager.

The person we are hiring is 100% in charge of the first team, training, formations, technical area, but he is not in charge with recruiting and getting the players in, he is just part of that,” Galinson said this week.

Game's gone I tell you!😉

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

See we're still on the 'classy' responses

'thick'

'cant spell'

And whatever else has been chucked at him with gay abandon.

But then also a machivelian mastermind who's orchestrated a coup by usurping Nige.

This saga is definitely bringing out the worst in people and still it continues with terms of personal abuse for someone doing their job. 

Wonder where today will end up going 

nobody is forcing you to be here?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

'thick'

'cant spell'

But then also a machivelian mastermind who's orchestrated a coup by usurping Nige.

This saga is definitely bringing out the worst in people and still it continues with terms of personal abuse for someone doing their job. 

You can be inarticulate and a Machiavellian mastermind - the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I would suggest it appears the saga has definitely brought out the worst in Tinnion. He's trashed his reputation that he had done a very good job of rebuilding after his disastrous spell as manager, and his collective actions with the Lansdown's has threatened to derail a train that was most definitely nudging forward. 

SL said judge me on Tinnion - he's having another bite at that cherry as a backseat manager and in doing so we have cast aside someone not only best placed and qualified to do the job, but was also doing it well enough for the substantial majority. 

No wonder few have anything nice to say on him. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, lenred said:

All the while having a break from ‘footy’ apparently.

Doing us a favour, whatever would we do without having to read some incredibly boring and patronising ramblings.

All while trying to hide the obvious dislike for Nige that was expressed time and time again for those of us fortunate to have memories longer than a goldfish.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 38MC said:

SL said judge me on Tinnion

Did we ever get to do that? I don't recall.

Did he publicly apologise and admit he got it wrong? Again I don't recall.

Has he ever admitted to making any mistakes? Again etc.

After all admitting your mistakes is a strength that powerful people seem to see as a weakness.

• Flames 1

15 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’m furious as anyone about Pearson’s sacking and I think my other posts will bear that out but there are two things in this topic I do slightly disagree with.

1) the idea they it is an inherently terrible thing that we have a Technical Director/DoF-type figure who ensures that what the manager is doing fits in with the club’s wider strategy. 

I actually think - in principle - that is a good thing and leaves us much better protected if a manager suddenly leaves as it means - in theory - we’re not constantly rebuilding from scratch when the manager changes. Obviously we will see in the coming weeks what happens in practice but I do think the shambolic succession of managers between GJ and Cotts shows why there need to be someone who is not the manager ensuring consistency.

2) the idea that Brian Tinnion is a terrible choice for Technical Director due to lack of experience. He is an ex player who has spent the last 15 years working in backstage strategy roles in football. I think his background suits the role far more than someone who has not worked in football or someone who has only coached or managed - which is very different to working on the strategy side.

Don’t get me wrong - my view is sacking Pearson is a terrible decision and Tinnion may well be completely unsuitable for the job he is doing. But I don’t think the actual job is a bad thing so much as the execution of it and I think an ex footballer who has worked in football development roles is as suited as anyone to do it, even if it turns out Tinnion’s personal attributes mean he is wrong for the job despite relevant experience.

PS for clarity, I think Pearson had a far better strategic overview of the club than Tinnion, the board, the owner or anyone I can remember at the club for a long time. But I think that is very unusual in a manager and you generally need a Technical Director or Director of Football as most managers are much more short termist.

Agreed. Would be a positive outcome to have sone continuity of approach, thanks to the culture and standards developed by Nige but also involving  tins (in terms of an academy pathway and integration) and others such as RG, the senior players and the coaching staff. 

A lot of mentions of that Swansea game getting on for 20 years ago, which really isn’t relevant to Tins current role or our position.  Some of the posts do have a touch of a mob witch hunt about them imo, like a Monty python sketch- burn ‘im!!!! Folks digging into his LinkedIn profile and that. 

one of the genuine success of the club in recent times is the Academy and Tins, to his credit, has played a big part in this- of course not as big a part of Nige who actually gave so many of our talented youngsters an opportunity and a first team environment in which to flourish!

Also, our appalling injury crisis does merit deep scrutiny - it’s far worse than other teams, so it’s right that this is analysed in depth. Needs some critical and measured analysis and it’s not wrong to raise it imo.

The Rennie replacement is obviously also a crucial hire. Can we get that right?! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The chief said:

Agreed. Would be a positive outcome to have sone continuity of approach, thanks to the culture and standards developed by Nige but also involving  tins (in terms of an academy pathway and integration) and others such as RG, the senior players and the coaching staff. 

A lot of mentions of that Swansea game getting on for 20 years ago, which really isn’t relevant to Tins current role or our position.  Some of the posts do have a touch of a mob witch hunt about them imo, like a Monty python sketch- burn ‘im!!!! Folks digging into his LinkedIn profile and that. 

one of the genuine success of the club in recent times is the Academy and Tins, to his credit, has played a big part in this- of course not as big a part of Nige who actually gave so many of our talented youngsters an opportunity and a first team environment in which to flourish!

Also, our appalling injury crisis does merit deep scrutiny - it’s far worse than other teams, so it’s right that this is analysed in depth. Needs some critical and measured analysis and it’s not wrong to raise it imo.

The Rennie replacement is obviously also a crucial hire. Can we get that right?! 

This is a good post.

Ultimately we don't know everything that goes on at the club. The way Pearson spoke convinced me he thought deeply about the club and had a clear vision for success but I can't say with 100% certainty whether our training methods are a factor in our injuries and whether we'd therefore do better with another manager.

I'm massively sceptical about most of the claims Jon Lansdown and Tinnion made - i.e. that we spent enough in the summer and everyone was happy or that we should be higher up the table and that a new manager would achieve that - but there is a possibility that they do know something I don't and our results will improve. (As long as they're also prepared to take responsibility for a poor decision if our results get worse) 

Even if Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion were originally appointments were made on nepotism - which is hard to dispute in the former case - they're now pushing on 30 years of experience between them. I'm not saying that I think Jon Lansdown is a good Chairman - from the outside, I'd say the opposite but accept I don't know for sure - but he's certainly not an inexperienced one. And, much as I'm sure egos are involved, I'd imagine both honestly think they are doing the best thing for the club. I think it is a massive problem if people see critical voices inside the club as a problem and I've significant concerns about the decision made this week and our wider structure but I don't think bad decision making or underhand behaviour necessarily equates to indifference and, in this case, I certainly don't think it can be put down to inexperience.

2 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

'thick'

'cant spell'

I agree there are too many personal attack on here at the moment but I do feel the vast majority of posts are sensible debate based around 'performance' rather than 'personalities'.

However; not as a justification, but discussion point - the disdain with which Lansdown(s) and Tinnion have treated the fans (or should I say customers) with the - strong words but a spade's a spade - lies and arrogance of a) their words and actions and b) those 2 awful, awful statement interviews - frankly if that's the way you treat people, you set yourself for it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have seen this, but have not mentioned it as I believe BT should be judged on what he brings to the footballing side of the club rather than his academic ability or lack thereof.

Nevertheless, I should have thought that someone within the Club's hierarchy might have brought it to his attention, although, judging by the standard of their own site, perhaps they just hadn't noticed. 

Brian Tinnion - Tecknical Director Bristol City Fc

I was a proffesional footballer for 20 years and played 767 professional games. Starting at Newcasle United then Bradford City then Bristol City were I played 551 games worked as a coach then managed the 1st team. I've now been at Bristol City as Director of Youth Recruitment for a year having returned from Spain last May, In Spain I scouted for Everton for 5 years watching la Liga and championship games in Spain and also ran an Academy over there with 10 teams in Spanish leagues with a mix of both spainish and English players from 8 to 19.

And now folk are calling him a "snayk".

Anyway, leaving aside his written English, I suppose the nuance is whether he is fearful of losing his job and was told to do the video to support the management position. At 55 and settled back in the area, he probably wants City to be his last employer before retirement. You might say it's cowardly not to stand up for Pearson in that way, but how many of us have resigned our jobs when a colleague has been unfairly treated?

Of course, if he has been one of the instigators of Pearson's heave-ho, then he's either horribly Machiavellian or thick (or both).  There's a world of difference between saying to NP "Really do you reckon Kingy at centre back? Knight-Lebel is more than ready to step up in my view" and going to Jon (or Steve) Lansdown and saying "Nigel's f-ing it all up! He's playing people out of position and he won't give the academy boys a chance to show what they can do!"

Unlike some on this thread, I think Tins does deserve some credit for his work with the academy (not to mention his sterling efforts when a player for us). IF he's engineered this sacking so he can be a de facto DoF then he's a backstabber and beyond contempt. Lansdown should remember how poor a manager Tinnion made - wedded to playing his friends and unable to adapt the side to adjust to circumstances. However, there is an IF there. 

• Like 2

The bit I struggle with is that Tinnion seemed to be delighted how much Pearson has supported the academy. I can't recall a manager more ready to use the youngsters, at one point we played Scott & Benarous as a pair or wingbacks

Just based on the evidence, you'd think he'd be an advocate of Pearson.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’m furious as anyone about Pearson’s sacking and I think my other posts will bear that out but there are two things in this topic I do slightly disagree with.

1) the idea they it is an inherently terrible thing that we have a Technical Director/DoF-type figure who ensures that what the manager is doing fits in with the club’s wider strategy. 

I actually think - in principle - that is a good thing and leaves us much better protected if a manager suddenly leaves as it means - in theory - we’re not constantly rebuilding from scratch when the manager changes. Obviously we will see in the coming weeks what happens in practice but I do think the shambolic succession of managers between GJ and Cotts shows why there need to be someone who is not the manager ensuring consistency.

2) the idea that Brian Tinnion is a terrible choice for Technical Director due to lack of experience. He is an ex player who has spent the last 15 years working in backstage strategy roles in football. I think his background suits the role far more than someone who has not worked in football or someone who has only coached or managed - which is very different to working on the strategy side.

Don’t get me wrong - my view is sacking Pearson is a terrible decision and Tinnion may well be completely unsuitable for the job he is doing. But I don’t think the actual job is a bad thing so much as the execution of it and I think an ex footballer who has worked in football development roles is as suited as anyone to do it, even if it turns out Tinnion’s personal attributes mean he is wrong for the job despite relevant experience.

PS for clarity, I think Pearson had a far better strategic overview of the club than Tinnion, the board, the owner or anyone I can remember at the club for a long time. But I think that is very unusual in a manager and you generally need a Technical Director or Director of Football as most managers are much more short termist.

Completely agree with this. 

I’d go even further and say that the evidence Tinns is unsuitable for the job has been conflated with him being caught up in this odd messaging around the sacking. By and large he’s doing a good job given the hand dealt. And so often on this forum, people bemoan lack of input from ‘football people’. But does anyone on this forum honestly think they know more about football than Tinns? 

I’ve never felt more confident in the quality of player we are bringing in for the money we are spending. The current hit rate is very good. And obviously we have all seen the current academy hit rate and quality. There was a time when Dan Cole’s and Aaron Brown were as good as it got every decade or so  

Tinns seems to be doing a really decent job. And if he has footballing opinions that differ from manager, it is entirely right he voices those. That is literally the job. (so long as manager remains in final control of team). 

And I say all that while acknowledging the decision on Nige is wrong and the half assed messaging around it which is leaving out a lot of stuff we would all rather club were up front about is patronising and disrespectful to fans. 

But I still think it’s fine for Tinns to have his own opinions, in keeping with his job, that differ from Nige. And that doesn’t make him a snake, rat, grass or any of the other grim shouts currently directed at him. 

Edited by the1stknowle
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

And now folk are calling him a "snayk".

Anyway, leaving aside his written English, I suppose the nuance is whether he is fearful of losing his job and was told to do the video to support the management position. At 55 and settled back in the area, he probably wants City to be his last employer before retirement. You might say it's cowardly not to stand up for Pearson in that way, but how many of us have resigned our jobs when a colleague has been unfairly treated?

Of course, if he has been one of the instigators of Pearson's heave-ho, then he's either horribly Machiavellian or thick (or both).  There's a world of difference between saying to NP "Really do you reckon Kingy at centre back? Knight-Lebel is more than ready to step up in my view" and going to Jon (or Steve) Lansdown and saying "Nigel's f-ing it all up! He's playing people out of position and he won't give the academy boys a chance to show what they can do!"

Unlike some on this thread, I think Tins does deserve some credit for his work with the academy (not to mention his sterling efforts when a player for us). IF he's engineered this sacking so he can be a de facto DoF then he's a backstabber and beyond contempt. Lansdown should remember how poor a manager Tinnion made - wedded to playing his friends and unable to adapt the side to adjust to circumstances. However, there is an IF there. 

I do feel a bit sorry for Tinnion TBH - Clearly a Bristol City man through and through, in large part due to the fact that the vast majority of his footballing life has been at BCFC.

But there's the problem - good player, failed (badly) manager. Little CV outside our club and what the fans see is him working his way up the greasy pole and it looks like more cronyism, something that is cancerous at this club under SL.

Suddenly he's going from being co-host of Robins TV and being the go to man for youth prospect info and development...to being instrumental in firing one of the most popular managers for decades, and people are rightly asking, hang on, how did that happen. Has he earned that? Clearly many think, no.

Pearson vs. Tinnion on footballing matters...sorry there's only one winner. 

A very harsh lesson these past two weeks for Tinnion that with power comes responsibility and consequences.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I do feel a bit sorry for Tinnion TBH - Clearly a Bristol City man through and through, in large part due to the fact that the vast majority of his footballing life has been at BCFC.

But there's the problem - good player, failed (badly) manager. Little CV outside our club and what the fans see is him working his way up the greasy pole and it looks like more cronyism, something that is cancerous at this club under SL.

Suddenly he's going from being co-host of Robins TV and being the go to man for youth prospect info and development...to being instrumental in firing one of the most popular managers for decades, and people are rightly asking, hang on, how did that happen. Has he earned that? Clearly many think, no.

A very harsh lesson these past two weeks for Tinnion that with power comes responsibility and consequences.

That suggests he is definitely instrumental in the firing.  Doing some daft video, that effectively says nothing, isn't proof of that.  Unless we were privy to the actual conversations, we cannot know.  At best, all BT is guilty of is moral cowardice. He didn't stick up for Nigel enough, make his case to the owner. Potentially, because he was worried about his own job security.  I've been there. Saw a colleague unfairly blamed for something (while the real culprits were forgiven) and demoted and effectively constructively dismissed by management. Moaned a bit behind the scenes but didn't rock the boat too much with the decision maker as I didn't want to follow my colleague out of the door, 

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That suggests he is definitely instrumental in the firing.  Doing some daft video, that effectively says nothing, isn't proof of that.  Unless we were privy to the actual conversations, we cannot know.  At best, all BT is guilty of is moral cowardice. He didn't stick up for Nigel enough, make his case to the owner. Potentially, because he was worried about his own job security.  I've been there. Saw a colleague unfairly blamed for something (while the real culprits were forgiven) and demoted and effectively constructively dismissed by management. Moaned a bit behind the scenes but didn't rock the boat too much with the decision maker as I didn't want to follow my colleague out of the door, 

Yes this is very true - could well be self-preservation.

When the, absolutely spot on, rumours about NP's sacking, even down to the timing of it - were starting to appear on OTIB weeks before the event....so too were very strong rumours, from the same sources, that Tinnion was briefing against NP, at the time along the lines of "he never comes to training anymore...". 

So I think a few are inclined to believe that too, given the rest was all true - yeah we don't know if he was leading or following though, but he is a key (one of 3) part of the process, that's the job he took.

Edited by Alessandro

18 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

But he’s not a radio co host is he. And there is ample evidence that he has done well in the footballing jobs he has been given over last several years.

Unless you are saying it is pure coincidence that we have gone from never producing a youth asset who does anything with their career to a fairly consistent pipeline of players of interest to top flight  

I don’t get these straw man arguments. Can people not disagree with Tins without rewriting history and saying he’s done nothing for club since they brought him back? 

1 minute ago, the1stknowle said:

But he’s not a radio co host is he. And there is ample evidence that he has done well in the footballing jobs he has been given over last several years.

Unless you are saying it is pure coincidence that we have gone from never producing a youth asset who does anything with their career to a fairly consistent pipeline of players of interest to top flight  

I don’t get these straw man arguments. Can people not disagree with Tins without rewriting history and saying he’s done nothing for club since they brought him back? 

I think you've put a few words in my mouth there.

As I said, I feel for him - he clearly has played a big role, alongside many others, in finally getting our academy sorted and up and running and producing at the levels it should have 10/15 years ago. No one is taking that away from him.

My question would be, does that qualify him for the role he's now in? Personally i'd like a more ambitious appointment - but as always, we wait and see and time will tell, as it always does in the end what his legacy will ultimately be. 

I’m not in anyway defending the interview by Tinnion, it was rotten, and like the Lansdown video, I’d have much preferred they had just come out and said the relationship had broken down etc.

I do however, think people need to consider the fact that his unsuccessful foray into management was 20 years ago. 

It’s very possible (in fact very likely!) that he has learnt a thing or two in those 20 years, including from the likes of Nigel Pearson, and that he might do a decent job in this role. 

And whether his actions are well founded or not, he probably does want Bristol City to be successful!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Agree with part 1

Completely disagree with part 2

Lies and arrogance are subjective as nothings been proven and it's been hearsay rumours and conspiracy .

There's no justification for the personal crap thrown about on here towards him, even if you don't think he's good at his job.

There's no decorum on the forum in large parts and there's more than one way to skin a cat fans are absolutely better than this.

Agree apart from bold part. Those following OTIB for the last 2 weeks (or even following the club for the last 20 years!) have seen everything that has panned out called virtually to the day - there is more than enough information out there to blow holes in what SL and the board are saying vs. doing...again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think you've put a few words in my mouth there.

As I said, I feel for him - he clearly has played a big role, alongside many others, in finally getting our academy sorted and up and running and producing at the levels it should have 10/15 years ago. No one is taking that away from him.

My question would be, does that qualify him for the role he's now in? Personally i'd like a more ambitious appointment - but as always, we wait and see and time will tell, as it always does in the end what his legacy will ultimately be. 

No words put in your mouth at all. I actually left out your worst words to give you benefit of the doubt. 

Re does that qualify him - if I do well in my job, I get promoted. And if I do well in that role, I get promoted again. That is what qualifies you for the next job up. And that is exactly what he’s done. He was not handed on a plate the technical director job. He’s progressed on merit. And now in role, time will tell if he’s qualified. But what would show him as unqualified is if he was too scared to voice his own football opinions. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

23 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yes this is very true - could well be self-preservation.

When the, absolutely spot on, rumours about NP's sacking, even down to the timing of it - were starting to appear on OTIB weeks before the event....so too were very strong rumours, from the same sources, that Tinnion was briefing against NP, at the time along the lines of "he never comes to training anymore...". 

So I think a few are inclined to believe that too, given the rest was all true - yeah we don't know if he was leading or following though, but he is a key (one of 3) part of the process, that's the job he took.

TBH I don't mind Tinnion being part of the head coach recruitment process. Can you imagine if Jon L and Gavin Marshall were the only people with input in that? Who'd the board by themselves appoint? The tea lady probably!  :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH I don't mind Tinnion being part of the head coach recruitment process. Can you imagine if Jon L and Gavin Marshall were the only people with input in that? Who'd the board by themselves appoint? The tea lady probably!  :facepalm:

I can confirm the Tea Lady has declined as she feels over qualified for the role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Admin

Moving forward it seems Tinnion will assume responsibility for our style of play, recruitment/retention, culture of the club and our new HC will be responsible for preparing the players for matches and the technical area on matchdays. It seems that Tinnion will be assuming much of what Nigel did and is our defacto new manager.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

No words put in your mouth at all. I actually left out your worst words to give you benefit of the doubt. 

Re does that qualify him - if I do well in my job, I get promoted. And if I do well in that role, I get promoted again. That is what qualifies you for the next job up. And that is exactly what he’s done. He was not handed on a plate the technical director job. He’s progressed on merit. And now in role, time will tell if he’s qualified. But what would show him as unqualified is if he was too scared to voice his own football opinions. 

Just for clarity, what were my "worst words"? 

And also can you find the point where I said BT has "done nothing for the club since he's been brought back"?

So yes, you have put words in my mouth.

You may be annoyed with people giving Tinnion abuse, you seem very protective of him, fine - but I am not one of those people giving him personal abuse, i've actively it actually. So go and reply to those people directly about that if you want, not me.

This is a BCFC football forum, all i'm doing is debating the job he's doing at BCFC and the quality of his opinion. 

Edited by Alessandro
Thank you Ian M