IGNORED

Tinns Speaks

CyderInACan

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have neither optimism nor pessimism at the mo’…because I don’t know who is coming in.

I have open-minded naivety! 😉

There is no optimism or pessimism under the Lansdowns. 

There is just blind following, keeping your mouth shut and stumping up you hard earned... 

... or there is realism, and saying "sell up and **** off".

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As an advocate for a “football-man” somewhere between manager / head-coach and board, I’m perfectly happy with Tinnion.  When Holden was appointed I wondered if Tinnion could help provide the buffer between Dean and Ashton.  That wasn’t implemented.

I would be a hypocrite if I back-tracked on that set-up now.

It is clear from the meetings we (Harry, me etc) had with RG and SG (Gilhespy), which were pre-Tinnion’s promotion to Technical Director that Nige drove a lot of the football strategy, Gould drove the operational / football-finance / compliance strategy side of it…and I suspect there were some disagreements in there.  Sat in the middle but intrinsically linked was recruitment, requiring balance on both sides.  But Nige defined the types of player he wanted, RG facilitated the financial jigsaw, SG found the players (others chipped in with their recommendations too).  Tinnion’s input as Academy Director was sought too, for his General talent ID skills, but also the challenge on Academy Pathway.

What we now get to see is Tinnion perform, without Gould and Pearson driving it.  That’s a very big shift in resources!

He will of course be supported by Rawcliffe and Marshall instead of Gould and “new man” instead of Pearson.  But he is now the one under the spotlight.

It may be his time to shine.  We will get to find out

I wanted to to reply to @Red-Robbo’s post before yours, even though he posted after yours, because I wanted to set the scene of Tinnion’s role and involvement and his progression to TD first.

I don’t actually subscribe to your view that you do well you get promoted.  That very much assumes that the the job you’ve been promoted too requires the same skills and competencies.

Should the best salesman be promoted to sales manager for example.  Sales Manager is a different ball game.

My job is a Business Analyst.  If I was a permie, a promotion in the organisation I work would be Senior Business Analyst.  But that role isn’t about being a better, more skilled Business Analyst, it’s more of a management job, managing the Business Analyst, a different skillset.  It helps to have been a Business Analyst to understand the tasks, critique their work, etc, but it’s not necessarily the natural progression it appears.

What do you do btw?

Secondly, do you promote and then see if they’re qualified, as you suggest with Tinnion?  Or do you wait to see whether they’ve “got it” (the skills and competencies) first.  In some cases it’s fine to let someone learn on the job, but we can see why we often see people promoted outside of their level of competence.

There is def no assumption from me that a career pathway contains jobs that have same skills and competencies. Businesses need to create pathways to retain talent, not put ceilings over people.  A promotion nearly always involves new skills, often that are very different from previous roles. But you identify talent and grow them. In so doing, you stretch them. 

So your question ‘do you promote and then wait to see if they are qualified?’ is, to me, a false framing. I understand why you asked it that way and appreciate what you’re getting at. But, yes, in a sense you do often promote people before they are ‘qualified’. (Assuming you don’t mean formal qualifications). Its about identifying talent and capacities and then having a confidence that someone has the skills, ethic and capacity to grow into a new role. No guarantees. but no guarantees the other way either. Esp in football. Is Zidane qualified to manage Real if pirlo is not qualified to manage juve? I’m sure people that wanted to make the argument that one was, one wasn’t, could retrospectively make a case why ZZ was qualified and Pirlo wasn’t. But no one is accurately making the case prospectively. 

Anyway, I’m not sure it’s useful to go down a rabbit hole of discussion about  how to promote and retain talent.  My point is a more general one in reaction to a strain of posts I’ve seen in last few days: Brian Tinnion is not a football know nothing. In each role at City since he came back, he has proven himself so it’s not an outrage or cronyism or because he’s a snake, a grass, or a sycophant that he holds a senior football position at this club, and there should be an element of respect if he holds a different football opinion to someone else on the football side. What in your opinion is a qualifying career path for a DoF or Technical Director? Is Tinn’s elevation that unreasonable compared to the career path of others in similar roles at  other clubs?

Whether he is making the right calls, I’m not arguing about. Whether long term he grows into this more senior position, I have no idea. Whether, if it is true that he is now assuming a more expansive role than previously outlines, that is in best interests of club, I have no idea. And I’m definitely not saying you have called him any of the names above, although I get the impression from your post, maybe unfairly, you are not that enamoured with him.  

But I’ve been as disgusted by various comments about someone who I think deserves much more respect from fans of this club, as I have been about the decision to get rid of Nige. Hence being compelled to write much more than I usually do on this particular topic. Not expecting to change minds (ya man posting snake emojis will continue posting his emojis.)

And certainly not wanting to defend any aspect of this total shower from the club. But I am wanting to defend Tinns a bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 31/10/2023 at 10:04, CyderInACan said:

Just listened to this interview again.

Front Foot Football

High Intensity Football

Use of Academy

I take it this style of play has also been discussed with Manning?

Edited by Red Army 79
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Flames 1