IGNORED

Ultimate Poll: Pearson, Lansdown and the board

ChippenhamRed

Ultimate Poll: Pearson, Lansdown and the board  

847 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is it objective though? Feelings are high right now. There's a lot of reaction, and opinions are heavily influenced by very recent events.

That’s a fair criticism. I think it would be interesting to ask the same questions again at the end of the season - who the new man is, and how well they do, is likely to have a dramatic effect on the numbers here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Assuming the people voting represent a reasonable cross section of the population some will be educated, some down the middle and a few as thick as mince the fact that the overwhelming majority are reaching the same conclusion is interesting unless you believe majority opinion is only for the uneducated masses and only the few get it.

No of course not, but at the same time, being in the majority doesn't make you right.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That’s a fair criticism. I think it would be interesting to ask the same questions again at the end of the season - who the new man is, and how well they do, is likely to have a dramatic effect on the numbers here.

It's just interesting that in less heated times the results of the fans survey done over the summer were very different. Broadly there was a lot of satisfaction with the owners and directors. I think it's fair to say that the Scott sale and lack of investment, and now the sacking of Pearson, have combined to change that and shift a lot of people to a general anti-Lansdown stance. I got feedback consistent with that on a recent thread asking what had changed.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Enormous Turnip said:

As votes stand, a little over 30% of voters either want Steve Lansdown to remain as owner or aren't sure, but only 60% of those (18% total) trust or possibly trust them to make good decisions in the club's best interests. Unpack that! 

For this Q2 “not sure”/Q3 “No” voter it’s because of the risk that a new owner could be even worse.

21 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's just interesting that in less heated times the results of the fans survey done over the summer were very different. Broadly there was a lot of satisfaction with the owners and directors. I think it's fair to say that the Scott sale and lack of investment, and now the sacking of Pearson, have combined to change that and shift a lot of people to a general anti-Lansdown stance. I got feedback consistent with that on a recent thread asking what had changed.

That was the clincher for me.  You’ll know I’m not a fan of SL / JL and the way they’d ran the club, but the Phil Alexander interview on SOTC was more of a hostage interview than JL’s / BT’s today, which followed Nige’s comments about being at the top of our budget.

It didn’t add up, it felt personal, making it unnecessarily difficult for Nige…and that means they do not have the best interests of the club at heart.  If they’d come out and explained it, I might not have liked it, but I could’ve got my head around it, rationalised it.  They just don’t give a toss about us fans. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 5

For me it's got to the point where my beloved club has become a business unit for a faceless corporation run by an off shore tax avoider which at some point will be sold to another corporation and knowing the Lansdowns the new owner will be a tobacco company or an oil oligarch with blood on his hands.  Happy Days! 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I do think I have a touch of Stockholm syndrome but....

I wasn't desperately upset about not getting a massive chunk of money from Scott's sale. I had expected him to go, but with the threat of FFP I thought they might use a bit of caution. But I also thought , because a realistic aim IMO was top 10 , if we were in a decent position there might be money to spend in January. I didn't think the accompanying statement helped at all.
My anger is wholly to do with, not just the sacking but the cowardly way it was done. The sickening excuses and saying, what we want for the future ,while ignoring that the last Manager put it all in place. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I said at the start of the season that I expected mid-table and that we would need a lot of luck on the pitch and with injuries to mount a promotion effort. We certainly didn't get that luck.

I thought top 10, with the hope that luck would lead to a dart at 6th. I think that Jonno and Dad are the only ones that think we were promotion contenders. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Glad I did the poll. Good to get some objective data to go alongside the general feel on the forum.

Good sample size already - hopefully we can make it even bigger.

Hope the club see this. Something needs to change.

It needs to change alright I couldn't care less who's next in charge it will end up the same way. To many people within the club that know better and it's those people that need to clear off.

Those videos where embarrassing Lansdowns need to go end of!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ooRya said:

Our track record with managers isn't exactly great is it, so it's not surprising if people don't have confidence in the next appointment being the "right one".

However, they may have many other valid reasons for wanting SL to remain at the club.

What is really staggering, as you put it, is the amount of one eyed people there are on this forum.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

or they are from Berkeley.

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I pity the people who are voting yes to Q2 and not yes to Q3, what a sad state of affairs

Isn't the Board Jon Lansdown and Gavin Marshall?   I'm not sure Jon is capable of making a decision beyond which crayon to colour in with, so no I don't trust them collectively to make good decisions.  I'm not sure on Steve as owner - he doesn't have a great track record on managerial decisions, but at the same time he has put us in a position structurally to step up and looking around at the position of some other clubs, it could be a lot worse.      

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That was the clincher for me.  You’ll know I’m not a fan of SL / JL and the way they’d ran the club, but the Phil Alexander interview on SOTC was more of a hostage interview than JL’s / BT’s today, which followed Nige’s comments about being at the top of our budget.

It didn’t add up, it felt personal, making it unnecessarily difficult for Nige…and that means they do not have the best interests of the club at heart.  If they’d come out and explained it, I might not have liked it, but I could’ve got my head around it, rationalised it.  They just don’t give a toss about us fans. 

It feels to me that they are just trying to cut costs at suits level, basically working without ceo, and manager. Cutting corners as they go. Yes it’s personal because Nige probably told them they were bonkers. Nige chuckled about the baptism of fire awaiting the new coo 👿👿

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 1

I believe SL does want to sell the club, but what concerns me is that we are in a Catch 22 situation.  We wants promotion so he can sell the club for the highest price (and get some kudos for getting us there).  But that will probably attract exactly the kind of owner we don't want associated with our club!  Hard to see a happy ending. 

I voted for Lansdown to remain as owner, but mainly because of who might buy the club. We could end up with someone like Vincent Tan or that bloke who bought Hull and wanted to change the name to Hull Tigers. Or the criminals who bought Newcastle. Lansdown made a massive mistake with sacking Pearson, but he's still better than many of the owners in the league

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I voted for Lansdown to remain as owner, but mainly because of who might buy the club. We could end up with someone like Vincent Tan or that bloke who bought Hull and wanted to change the name to Hull Tigers. Or the criminals who bought Newcastle. Lansdown made a massive mistake with sacking Pearson, but he's still better than many of the owners in the league

In what way is he better? How far as a club in footballing terms have we moved on since he came to power? We have had infrastructure investment for sure, name me a club, fewers aside, who haven't refurbed their ground, training centre or moved to a new facility since then?

You talk about SL making a massive mistake with sacking Pearson in isolation, but it's not. He's made a bucket load of mistakes throughout his time here. An absolute bucket load. One of which is Bristol Sport which is a noose around his neck now he wants to exit.

But whilst his decision making and ego holds us back, he's okay it seems largely because we've not entered administration. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Aye if this poll could run at start , mid point and season end it'd make a cracking addition, thanks for setting it up

I will do that. And I’ll keep a record of the results so we can see how it changes over time.

Obviously I will need to reframe the 4th question when asking at the end of the season.

44 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Yes we could. We could also end up with some who gets us promoted. You seem to think the former is more likely than the latter.

Why? How have you come to this conclusion (if that is your conclusion)?

Do you never cross the road or get in an aeroplane or drive a car?

Are you scared of your own shadow?

I know there's comfort in the familiar but you are clinging to a bloke who has delivered failure after failure after failure on the pitch.

And you want more of the same?

Because it's comfortable?

How many chances do you give someone to get it right, before it's time for someone else to have a go? If we had a Centre forward who kept missing chances as regularly as Guernsey does, would you continue to pick him come what may? Or would you look for another Centre forward?

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Flames 5