IGNORED

Next Head Coach

bcfc01

I've been thinking about this for a few days, but one name that keeps coming back into my head is...... Frank Lampard. 

So, I'm here to make a case for Frank Lampard as our potential manager. It's not just a whim; there's some real substance to this idea. So, why do I think Lampard is the perfect fit for us? Here's the lowdown.

First things first, let's talk Derby County. Remember how Lampard led them close to a Premier League promotion? In a league as unpredictable as the championship, we need a manager who's been through the grind, and Lampard has. He played some lovely football that season, and only lost the final to an insanely talented Leeds side managed by Bielsa.  

Lampard's love for nurturing young talents is another compelling reason. His time at Chelsea showcased his dedication to youth development, with the likes of Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham. Given our own budding youth academy, having a manager who's all about bring through academy talent and the next generation is gold for us (and whats wanted).

The style of football under Lampard is a breath of fresh air. He loves attacking, free-flowing play that gets fans off their seats. We're not just looking for wins; we're searching for those thrilling, heart-pounding moments. Lampard's philosophy aligns perfectly with that vision.

Now, remember, he's not just a manager; he's a football legend. Having someone who's been there, done that on the pitch can be a game-changer. He understands what it means to put on the shirt and step onto the pitch, and that experience can be priceless in motivating our players and the contact he has within the game will be huge.

His work ethic and ambition are off the charts.  Lampard's hunger for success is the kind of energy we need right now.

Lastly, there's the cultural fit. Lampard's down-to-earth nature and commitment to community engagement align with the spirit of Bristol City. It's more than just what happens on the pitch; it's about being part of the community and being accessible to the fans.

So, there you have it. Frank Lampard has the Championship experience, the passion, and the style to transform Bristol City. The potential is huge, and I'm all in for the Lampard era at Ashton Gate. 

My tin hat is firmly on, and I can't wait for the "welcome to the forum Frank" comments ;) 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Slight tangent, but Morton was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch when I went to Weston Torquay last week. Would be amazed if he’s not at a league side again soon. 

Morton is a really good player, never got a chance under NP.

1 minute ago, Harry R said:

@Davefevs is Williams' style consistent with the 'front foot, pressing' stuff that Tinnion is coming out with? It sounds more like possession-based Swansea-style football.

Notts scored 117 league goals last season (albeit in the National League). I don't think a team scores that many at any level pussyfooting about like Swansea. They averaged 60% possession last season and it seems they did something with it other than possession football for the sake of it.

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I've been thinking about this for a few days, but one name that keeps coming back into my head is...... Frank Lampard. 

So, I'm here to make a case for Frank Lampard as our potential manager. It's not just a whim; there's some real substance to this idea. So, why do I think Lampard is the perfect fit for us? Here's the lowdown.

First things first, let's talk Derby County. Remember how Lampard led them close to a Premier League promotion? In a league as unpredictable as the championship, we need a manager who's been through the grind, and Lampard has. He played some lovely football that season, and only lost the final to an insanely talented Leeds side managed by Bielsa.  

Lampard's love for nurturing young talents is another compelling reason. His time at Chelsea showcased his dedication to youth development, with the likes of Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham. Given our own budding youth academy, having a manager who's all about bring through academy talent and the next generation is gold for us (and whats wanted).

The style of football under Lampard is a breath of fresh air. He loves attacking, free-flowing play that gets fans off their seats. We're not just looking for wins; we're searching for those thrilling, heart-pounding moments. Lampard's philosophy aligns perfectly with that vision.

Now, remember, he's not just a manager; he's a football legend. Having someone who's been there, done that on the pitch can be a game-changer. He understands what it means to put on the shirt and step onto the pitch, and that experience can be priceless in motivating our players and the contact he has within the game will be huge.

His work ethic and ambition are off the charts.  Lampard's hunger for success is the kind of energy we need right now.

Lastly, there's the cultural fit. Lampard's down-to-earth nature and commitment to community engagement align with the spirit of Bristol City. It's more than just what happens on the pitch; it's about being part of the community and being accessible to the fans.

So, there you have it. Frank Lampard has the Championship experience, the passion, and the style to transform Bristol City. The potential is huge, and I'm all in for the Lampard era at Ashton Gate. 

My tin hat is firmly on, and I can't wait for the "welcome to the forum Frank" comments ;) 

My choice for all those reasons 

Just now, Ghost Rider said:

I do think Frank has taken some tough jobs, Chelsea and Everton are 2 of the biggest basket cases in the prem right now. In a way I am more excited by the prospect of a name like him or Warnock than I am about the likes of Rowett or Eustace both of which I am struggling to get enthusiastic about. Truth is I am stuggling to care because we got rid of the manager I wanted. I have heard that Lampard is a very poor man manager though, and if he started with the same run of results he had at Chelsea last year then it would be pretty embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

My choice for all those reasons 

I get that his last few roles weren't great, but, Everton were a mess and the last role at Chelsea was even worse.  You should listen to the interview he did with Steven Bartlett, its really interesting to hear the attitude of the players during his time as interim boss. They're even struggling now and I'm not surprised. Potters signings were toxic for the dressing room. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I do think Frank has taken some tough jobs, Chelsea and Everton are 2 of the biggest basket cases in the prem right now. In a way I am more excited by the prospect of a name like him or Warnock than I am about the likes of Rowett or Eustace both of which I am struggling to get enthusiastic about. Truth is I am stuggling to care because we got rid of the manager I wanted. I have heard that Lampard is a very poor man manager though, and if he started with the same run of results he had at Chelsea last year then it would be pretty embarrassing.

See, I've heard the exact opposite. I'm not saying you're wrong though. 

Also, have a watch of this... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Lampard clearly isn't a very good coach. His teams consistently cannot defend against set plays or counter attacks. He also likes to blame every one but himself.

I'm not arguing with you here, I'm trust trying to learn. Is that your opinion, or is there some hard stats about Lampards teams being susceptible to counter attacks and conceding from set pieces?  Was that with every club he was at? I've haven't heard this before.   

7 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Lampard clearly isn't a very good coach. His teams consistently cannot defend against set plays or counter attacks. He also likes to blame every one but himself.

This ⬆️

Lampard, as much as he seems a decent guy, doesn’t really know how to set a team up… especially defensively.

I can’t comment on his time at derby or Chelsea, but the word out of Everton is that he was to matey with (not all) but most of the players. The players got away with murder. Dyche has apparently nipped that in the bud, and got rid of most of the trouble makers. 

It’s a no for me.

14 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Yeh, but Bristol City, under the Lansdowns, are, by far, the biggest basket case club in the English football league.

1 hour ago, RobinTuga said:

Uses a 3 centre back system, massive focus on possession (Notts has averaged over 60% both last year in the National League and so far this year in League Two). This article is a good read and goes a little more in depth. As others have mentioned he's worked here before with the youth sides so I imagine he'll be somewhat familiar with the lads who've made the step up from the academy.

I mentioned it in another thread but he's probably the only realistic option where I'd still be excited to have him on despite all the turmoil that seems to be happening around the club.

Did he get Notts County to outperform what was expected of the squad at the level they are at?

That's the requirement here. Our squad is clearly not top 6 (whatever the owners think), and our wage budget certainly isn't (likely something around 12th, possibly even lower).

So we're looking for someone capable of making a squad be more than the sum of its parts. We need to coach these players to a level where they can consistently win against the odds, where we can outpost performances that are capable of delivering unexpected points.

Is that what he did at NC? Or where they a big fish in a small shitty pond?

Honest question as I don't really know.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zuni said:

Morton is a really good player, never got a chance under NP.

He's 24 and is currently playing for Weston Super Mare after 6 different loans, struggling to get in the side at many of them at a much lower level than us. It wasn't an unreasonable outcome.

• Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Yeh, but Bristol City, under the Lansdowns, are, by far, the biggest basket case club in the English football league.

We’re by far the biggest basket case, the world has ever seen,and it’s Bristol City,Bristol City F C……….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, cellist said:

The head coach model relies on more than people saying the same catchphrases about "playing on the front foot". You can't just turn around one day and say "we have an identity now" and expect success like Brighton or Brentford.

It requires long term planning, but also people being competent in their roles at every level. Sure the head coach model can prevent you having to scrap everything and start again every time the head coach leaves. But haven't we just uprooted ourselves and got rid of the ones who were competent in their roles, who were driving the change in club culture, who were creating some kind of togetherness and planning for the future? Pearson and Euell etc were the answer, Lansdown and Tinnion (as much as it pains me to say it) the problem. He shouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad frankly. He had his go - it's not as if he's gone and had managerial success elsewhere.

Any young coach brought in is going to have their work cut out.

This interview isn’t actually as bad as I remember, but the buzzwords resonated at the time, like they do today.

It’s worth a watch / listen just to see that words and just that, words.

But I did like this one: (worth listening to it all, but otherwise starting about 6:30 in / 8:00 mins onwards re pressing)

@Harry and @spudski having watched them recently, how did they match up to what was said in the interview?

Edited by Davefevs

33 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

He had massive help at derby with some fantastic loans and still didn’t get them over the line 

• Like 2