IGNORED

Next Head Coach

bcfc01

18 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

Uses a 3 centre back system, massive focus on possession (Notts has averaged over 60% both last year in the National League and so far this year in League Two). This article is a good read and goes a little more in depth. As others have mentioned he's worked here before with the youth sides so I imagine he'll be somewhat familiar with the lads who've made the step up from the academy.

I mentioned it in another thread but he's probably the only realistic option where I'd still be excited to have him on despite all the turmoil that seems to be happening around the club.

That'll bring on a few heart attacks with Naismith at the back, and Atkinson due to come back !!

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

Thanks. What happened to him at Swindon?

From the little I remember hearing from Swindon fans back then, mixture of inexperience and meddling from the chairman at the time. Ultimately it's been 6/7 years since then and he's been at many clubs in the meantime so not sure how much stock do we want to put on that spell (but at least the chairman meddling could end up relevant considering the Lansdowns).

23 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Did he have cash to spend - perhaps not Wrexham levels but more than the competition? Regardless, 100+ points always impressive.

I believe this was the case, yes (though unsure how it compared to Chesterfield for example who I think have a good amount of money themselves). Even this year bringing in David McGoldrick, I think I read somewhere that he took less money than what he was getting at Derby to come back to his boyhood club but still having that sort of player at a League Two level is no joke.

Edited by RobinTuga
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Is our aspirations really as low as wanting someone who was managing in non league last season and who'd previously been sacked by Swindon?

Ideally not but from the videos today it looks like they are looking at a younger more hands on training ground 'head coach'... Which should rule a lot of names being banded about and being included on the betting shortlists - Rowett, Dean Smith, Jones, Wilder etc.

So it leaves manager such as Eustace, Beale and Williams as more in the mould of what we are after... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, !james said:

Ideally not but from the videos today it looks like they are looking at a younger more hands on training ground 'head coach'... Which should rule a lot of names being banded about and being included on the betting shortlists - Rowett, Dean Smith, Jones, Wilder etc.

So it leaves manager such as Eustace, Beale and Williams as more in the mould of what we are after... 

If they think a league two manager/head coach can lead us to the Premier league this sesson then they are more deluded than I first thought.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure there'll be any kowtowing unless we get an inexperienced kid as head coach.

I thought that was the intention? 

"It’s going to stay that way, we’re going to be that way and we’re going to play that way and it’s going to be a long-term thing for the football club. So the coaches will have to come in, and do, and play exactly that way.” 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If they think a league two manager/head coach can lead us to the Premier league this sesson then they are more deluded than I first thought.

I agree. I just think they are looking at clubs like Ipswich who appointed Kieran McKenna and think they can copy that model, although they don't all work as well as him! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry R said:

I'd be lumping on Williams if a bookie offered some odds. Would explain why they clearly aren't ready to announce as would take compo and negotiations. But he'd almost certainly want the move so it would happen if we make the approach.

was talk in the summer of clubs being quoted £1.5m compo

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting. 
I posted on another thread last night about how I was impressed by how Rowett set his Millwall side up against us in Dec 2019. 
I mentioned how it was the first time I’d really seen someone playing a 3-2-5. 
Williams is similar. 
I’ve no idea how Rowett went from this exciting 3-2-5 to football that even Millwall fans thought was dull. 

His 3 CB plan would be buggered here!  We only have Rob Dickie.

FWIW I listened to quite a few of his interviews last season, I followed Notts Co / Williams on Twitter when James Morton went there on trial hoping to hear any snippets of transfer news (and of course Baldwin is there too).

He speaks intelligently, but comes across as very intense (dunno if good or bad).

Just now, Davefevs said:

was talk in the summer of clubs being quoted £1.5m compo

His 3 CB plan would be buggered here!  We only have Rob Dickie.

FWIW I listened to quite a few of his interviews last season, I followed Notts Co / Williams on Twitter when James Morton went there on trial hoping to hear any snippets of transfer news (and of course Baldwin is there too).

He speaks intelligently, but comes across as very intense (dunno if good or bad).

Slight tangent, but Morton was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch when I went to Weston Torquay last week. Would be amazed if he’s not at a league side again soon. 

• Like 1

The head coach model relies on more than people saying the same catchphrases about "playing on the front foot". You can't just turn around one day and say "we have an identity now" and expect success like Brighton or Brentford.

It requires long term planning, but also people being competent in their roles at every level. Sure the head coach model can prevent you having to scrap everything and start again every time the head coach leaves. But haven't we just uprooted ourselves and got rid of the ones who were competent in their roles, who were driving the change in club culture, who were creating some kind of togetherness and planning for the future? Pearson and Euell etc were the answer, Lansdown and Tinnion (as much as it pains me to say it) the problem. He shouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad frankly. He had his go - it's not as if he's gone and had managerial success elsewhere.

Any young coach brought in is going to have their work cut out.

Edited by cellist