IGNORED

John Eustace

Ziderarmy

so, our ‘technical director’ goes on air this morning to voice our desire to play a certain style of football, just for the club to hire someone who plays more or less the same brand of football. they really must think we’re stupid to believe it was a footballing decision.

is eustace all he’s made out to be? i hope so, and i’ll be getting behind the bloke. i’m not convinced, but if he’s in charge by saturday, let’s make it as good of an environment for him as possible during the 90 mins. i’m still fully behind displays and/or chants against the lansdowns before, after and even during the game, because they are quite simply incompetent and in my 20+ years supporting city, i’ve never had faith in them to do the right thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

So it is totally a knee jerk spurred on by blind rage.

Right oh, glad that's sorted. 

Living the Peter principle  is just embarrassing at this point 

Er….

Please continue.

I get the vague impression that you don’t really understand rage, or the Peter Principle.

Feel free to Google your response, which I will ignore.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Tinnion afaik and quite happy to be corrected has been involved in the youth coaching and technical side since the likes of Tommy Doherty came through.

He's what, been in the new job for two minutes and you'll not hear many going what a crappy job with recruitment, barring we could have done with 2 more.

He's never been Technical Director before,so your comparison is perhaps somewhat blighted by anger and remains stuck on one result 19 years ago 

Sorry, I really don't understand your point, I'm not allowed to judge him on the job he's doing now because he's only just started? Nor the similar job he did previously?

What I can do though is judge him on some other job roles with a very different skillset and criteria?

I'm not angry by the decision made to remove Pearson, I'm disappointed by the timing and feel like he's been shit on massively. 

What I'm angry about is the inconsistent communication, lack of ownership and culpability and lies from senior figures of this football club. If you're happy burying your head in the sand because of your previous issues with Pearson then full power to you.

Edit - Apologies to everybody else for biting and derailing the thread, should know better...

Edited by hinsleburg
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

Saw this on twitter too re Eustace by Mike Holden - interesting 

The situation at Birmingham.

John Eustace and Wayne Rooney are polar opposite personality types.

Completely different functions, different attitudes, different temperaments.

They could hardly be more different.

• Eustace values control (work to a plan)
• Rooney values chaos (be ready for anything)
• Eustace is tribe above self (shared collective cause)
• Rooney is self above tribe (motivation comes from within)
• Eustace works to logical criteria (tactics and strategy)
• Rooney works to emotional criteria (desire and motivation)

The above variables all have their own merits. They each bring varying rewards in different contexts and scenarios, over different timescales.

The players don't know any of this. They haven’t got a clue what's going on.

They just know its different, and it has spooked them. Big time.

The players were content with the blueprint they were working to. They were invested in Eustace.

Then Garry Cook does what Garry Cook does and imprints his ruthless ambition on proceedings.

He doesn’t want content now, he wants success later. Big success. 

Bigger success than most of those players are capable of achieving.

So now those players are wrestling with the realisation that this might no longer be a journey with a final destination for them.

They might be surplus to requirements sooner rather than later.

One minute, you're in a controlled environment and everything is settled, everyone knows where they stand and all the messages are predictable.

The next minute, it's all change and the messages are different. It's unsettling. And it's bound to affect performance.

This is no longer the season those players thought it was going to be. No longer the future those players thought they were going to have.

Back to square one.

All that conditioning in the summer? 

All the stuff they thought their efforts and performances were going to be judged on? 

It's just been ripped up and thrown out of the window.

Start again. New guy, new methods.

The players have gone into survival mode. 

For them, this is a crisis situation. Nobody knows where they stand.

That collective cause that Eustace fostered? 

Now it’s every man for himself.

When you're in survival mode, you can't be creative.

You can only be creative and fully express the best version of yourself when you feel safe.

And to feel safe in this context, you have to have strong convictions about yourself and your abilities.

The ones who do have a long-term future at St Andrew’s will be the ones who react best to this change and step up quickest.

If you can quickly adapt to this sudden threat to your livelihood, then you might just have what it takes to survive in the Premier League as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Don't get this comparison.

Ironically think Eustaces situ at Brum reminded me very much of what NP has done here. Only have to look at what's happened since they got "the name" in, for context of the job he did.

Many of those clubs have links to the continent that led to said appointments. We have one of the most Brexit ownerships models in the league by comparison.

Would understand this view (puppet, easy option, merry-go-round) much more if it was Rowett or Dean Smith, but it isnt. Its a manager who did one very good job, his only job, at this level in mostly very challenging circumstances.

Your absolutely entitled to your opinion of course, I just don't agree.

23 minutes ago, Oops said:

Deranged.

Lay off the Katy mate.

I’m not using my season ticket until the  reptiles in charge are gone. 
The very best of luck to the next patsy who takes charge of the shit show that is BCFC 👍

The so called reptiles are going to be in charge for some time and beyond this season.

Tell us where your ST is Stand/Block/ seat and how much you want for it now you are not going to use it?

Let me guess ...... perhaps it was a rhetorical season ticket

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, bristol red said:

DT I was there.. this is worse.. in those days people were willing and able to invest.. thankfully and we survived… no one in there right noddy is going invest in Bristol Sport losing £30m plus a year…

Not sure about that…the Venkys might have relatives who are interested..they by all accounts did not know about the concept of relegation when they acquired Blackburn Rovers… trust me, they are out there! 😜

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The so called reptiles are going to be in charge for some time and beyond this season.

Tell us where your ST is Stand/Block/ seat and how much you want for it now you are not going to use it?

Dolman, E Block. Seat 25. Row 40

You’re welcome to it.

Come and introduce yourself next time I can be arsed, we’ll negotiate a price.

Edited by Oops

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Mine's definitely not. As stated elsewhere will turn up saturday to say my fond farewell to the Lansdowns and then won't return till they're gone. Considered giving them away, but I want those seats to remain empty. Pointless I accept, but it's about principles isn't it?

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Mine's definitely not. As stated elsewhere will turn up saturday to say my fond farewell to the Lansdowns and then won't return till they're gone. Considered giving them away, but I want those seats to remain empty. Pointless I accept, but it's about principles isn't it?

So, let's say the new guy comes in, we win 6 games in a row and are up to 3rd. You telling me you are still staying away?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I didn't want this dismissal but it may possibly be a positive step , impossible to know either way yet - but the reaction on here is as big a circus as the dismissal.

Let's see in the next few weeks how it all pans out and exactly what ongoing protests there actually are?

It's very easy for people to say that they won't go to BS3 when they already don't go to BS3. Why would someone who has genuinely given up supporting City spend their time on OTIB ? 

As for the alleged "season ticket holders"  also so say refusing to continue their support - strange no one is selling their cards  on here. For the right price, they'll be takers. 

I very much disagree with you in your defence of Tinnion and Lansdown, but the state of the reaction is pretty astonishing. The board have made what I feel to be a really poor and misguided decision, for all the wrong reasons. I'm irritated and wholehartedly disagree with Pearson's dismissal. But we aren't Reading. We aren't Wednesday or Scunny or god forbid Bury. All decisions made (I'm sure) are made with the ambition to improve the direction of the club. 

The anger at them is due to a really ignorant decision made by the board, but the club is financially solid and there are games to go to. We have no reason to riot and protest. Fans can voice their disgruntlement with the decision, but Lansdown and co haven't committed genocide, they've made a bad decision. They may not be the right fit to run the club to its maximum efficiency, but they would never intentionally damage the performance of City.

We have a right to be angry, but also need sense.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I didn't want this dismissal but it may possibly be a positive step , impossible to know either way yet - but the reaction on here is as big a circus as the dismissal.

Let's see in the next few weeks how it all pans out and exactly what ongoing protests there actually are?

It's very easy for people to say that they won't go to BS3 when they already don't go to BS3. Why would someone who has genuinely given up supporting City spend their time on OTIB ? 

As for the alleged "season ticket holders"  also so say refusing to continue their support - strange no one is selling their cards  on here. For the right price, they'll be takers. 

Because I don't have to give the vermin a penny of my money to come on here.

38 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Did he?....33% win ratio and only has 63 championship matches to his name?

They were odds-on favourites for relegation when he took over last summer.

Birmingham, Reading and Rotherham were comfortably the bookies favourites to go down pre-season, Brum and Reading were both a shambles off the field. I remember this well because, about this time last year, all 3 were above us in the league! It's never easy here

So in that context yes he did well, look where Reading are now.

Birmingham wage bill wise etc and relegation, not like the squad was really anything other than midtable to lower midtable. 

Inept Governance of which Birmingham had plenty can drag even a reasonable side down and being really well run can elevate some sides. I don't see how a wage bill of £25-30m most likely is relegation worthy.

If what Brian Tinnion say about having to play "their way" even down to the formation is true then I'll be disappointed in any self respecting manager that take the job. Once more the owner and board want to micromanage the playing side of the club albeit this time they have someone who has played (and played well for us) and managed (very poorly)to stroke their egos. 

I'm not one of those who demand a manager to be sack nor one to complain about a manger appointment (with the exception of Tony Pulis in both cases) so whoever gets appointed will have my backing being a fan of Bristol City not Bristol Sport or Steve Lansdown. But Lansdown needs to realise that the best person for the job might not the best personality. The right man for the job will set his side up his way and play his own style and as long as he is reasonably back with transfer funds will bring the success that has, so far, eluded Steve Lansdown in his time in charge of the club.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Just for context, a man with fewer Football League games as a manager under his belt than Lee Johnson when we appointed him.

Context is everything 😉😉😉.  100+ games in the hot seat at Kidderminster in NatLg.  3-4 seasons as an assistant manager at QPR at this level too.

Some international experience with Ireland…

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

At least he has zero connection to cosy Bristol City unlike many of our previous appointments

Hold his beer!!!

….so would know Sykes, O’Leary and Knight.

will know Dickie and Wells from QPR.  Played at Derby with Kalifa Cisse (!!!!)

• Hmmm 1