IGNORED

Eustace Link Dismissed?

JP Hampton

43 minutes ago, Zuni said:

They would have checked on Williams (or another) interest before pulling the trigger on Pearson.

I agree they were going to get rid asap but a quick phone call to confirm basic interest, details of job description and pay etc is all they would need with someone they know.

Would they?

Only need to look at the fiasco after LJs sacking to realise that SL and planning aren't worthy of being discussed in the same sentence unless its in regards to property development.

I have zero faith the longer this bumbles along with no appointment.

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Would they?

Only need to look at the fiasco after LJs sacking to realise that SL and planning aren't worthy of being discussed in the same sentence unless its in regards to property development.

I have zero faith the longer this bumbles along with no appointment.

Think they have had longer to look around as it has been obvious that NP was going, either soon or for sure at the end of the season.

There was no "we will give him time to turn it around" thinking.  (Holden !).

They at least would have been sounding people out for the Summer, the issue now maybe "fast tracking" it ?

2 minutes ago, Zuni said:

Think they have had longer to look around as it has been obvious that NP was going, either soon or for sure at the end of the season.

There was no "we will give him time to turn it around" thinking.  (Holden !).

They at least would have been sounding people out for the Summer, the issue now maybe "fast tracking" it ?

Doesn't mean much. There shouldnt be this delay if at all deliberated and planned. Especially before playing bottom of the league is completely amateurish.

1 minute ago, The Coach said:

Can see this being dragged out for weeks

Unfortunately, agreed. Being pessimistic in the hope they may pleasantly surprise me for the sake of my sanity.

53 minutes ago, Zuni said:

They would have checked on Williams (or another) interest before pulling the trigger on Pearson.

I agree they were going to get rid asap but a quick phone call to confirm basic interest, details of job description and pay etc is all they would need with someone they know.

Not so sure they would have. Nigel was going after Cardiff regardless, the decision was made. They didn't want him to get a fit squad to work with as they couldn't have blamed 'football reasons'. 

They probably would have assumed people would have been queuing up to meet them.  Instead I expect potential candidates will have seen the sky sports article, would probably have perused this forum, and will think 'Christ that's toxic, let's wait for the managerial merry go round over the Xmas period'. Eustace is probably nailed on a job in the next 8 weeks, he's got no rush to take this one.  

• Like 1

Personally I'd go and approach Plymouth for steve Schumacher he is perfect for that we need and fits in to what the club had described! Pay the compensation fee and get it done ! Then hopefully he brings morgan whittaker and bali mumba with him!!

Edited by BCFC31
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

7 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Personally I'd go and approach Plymouth for steve Schumacher he is perfect for that we need and fits in to what the club had described! Pay the compensation fee and get it done ! Then hopefully he brings morgan whittaker and bali mumba with him!!

Are manager / coach salaries and related fees included in the FFP calculation?

10 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Personally I'd go and approach Plymouth for steve Schumacher he is perfect for that we need and fits in to what the club had described! Pay the compensation fee and get it done !

Why would he want to leave Plymouth to come here?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Not so sure they would have. Nigel was going after Cardiff regardless, the decision was made. They didn't want him to get a fit squad to work with as they couldn't have blamed 'football reasons'. 

They probably would have assumed people would have been queuing up to meet them.  Instead I expect potential candidates will have seen the sky sports article, would probably have perused this forum, and will think 'Christ that's toxic, let's wait for the managerial merry go round over the Xmas period'. Eustace is probably nailed on a job in the next 8 weeks, he's got no rush to take this one.  

It's insane.

Right now we are the highest ranked club in the country with a vacancy. All PL jobs are full, QPR appointed the new guy yesterday. Other than us it's only Millwall that have a decent job offer.

Every other club with a vacancy is L1 or lower.

We should have the pick of the bunch. **** we should have had a plan when we sacked him. Not a speculative list of "people we'd like to talk to". A plan.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's insane.

Right now we are the biggest club in the country with a vacancy. All PL jobs are full, QPR appointed the new guy yesterday. Other than us it's only Millwall that have a decent job offer.

Ever other club with a vacancy is L1 or lower.

We should have the pick of the bunch. **** we should have had a plan when we sacked him. Not a speculative list of "people we'd like to talk to". A plan.

Sounding like the plan the govt had for covid 😉

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

So now the narrative will switch from "they were sneaking around behind Pearson's back" to "they sacked him without a plan or an alternative in mind". ?

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Could be both.

I agree with Roger. The two are not mutually exclusive and in fact appears to me to be what happened. 

Mr Pearson effectively called them out on it. (Running around behind his back)

Those that mattered had no intention of negotiating contract extension with NP. 

Thus what was Happening at the football club with injuries and illness was completely overlooked as it was no longer appropriate to simply ignore a contract running down thus termination (or constructive dismissal if some are to be believed) was the only choice but despite contacts previously being made no one was chosen, leading to this  

The whole nest egg comment was not as some seem to think a personal nest egg, but money available for the next manager AND SPECIFICALLY NOT Nigel Pearson. 

it is all utterly despicable! 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Thanks. I would say that most of those in the betting are managers not coaches. I can't see them being prepared to do what Tinnion tells them to do.

To add to that, I think plenty of managers and coaches won’t fancy working under the Lansdowns after how they treated Nige and how they’ve gone public about wanting promotion this season, despite the injuries and lack of funds. Failure is inevitable against those unrealistic goals. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's insane.

Right now we are the highest ranked club in the country with a vacancy. All PL jobs are full, QPR appointed the new guy yesterday. Other than us it's only Millwall that have a decent job offer.

Every other club with a vacancy is L1 or lower.

Agree, and I think we agree that the only plan should have been the terms of Nigel's extension.

As alluded to above, I think anyone interested in this job will have asked their agent to see what the mood music is like around here, maybe try and sound out from Nigel the good the bad and the ugly (and respect for his opinion as someone who has been successfully around football for a very long time), would have seen the expectations that the board have for the club with the squad that we've got and the reporting lines, and will almost certainly conclude with their agent 'let's wait it out and see what the next vacancy is'. 

Unless it's a chance of a lifetime - like for Williams - I think we are a very easy job to pass over at this point in time. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, 38MC said:

Why would he want to leave Plymouth to come here?

Bigger fan base, much better infrastructure like the training ground better stadium better salary more scope in the transfer market better academy there's lots of reasons. We are more established then Plymouth as a championship club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you were a respected professional in your field, and you were offered a job working as subservient to a person who tried and failed miserably at your profession nearly two decades ago, what would you say?

Eustace was never realistic, neither is Lampard, or Hughton or Williams. They are looking for a very specific type of person, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a name we’ve never heard of.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We should have the pick of the bunch. 

Really?

Job Description:

1) Deliver promotion with current squad

2) Squad wage budget maxed out 

3) Owner given up no longer putting his hands in his pockets for decent transfers

4) Best players will be sold to keep club solvent

5) You will play in the style told to you by Brian Tinnion, a legend at Bristol City (but nowhere else)

6) Chairman is a basket case

7) Club is up for sale

I don't see that as a terribly attractive gig tbh, particularly when you see how Pearson got treated.

• Like 13

Just now, BCFC31 said:

Bigger fan base, much better infrastructure like the training ground better stadium better salary more scope in the transfer market better academy there's lots of reasons. We are more established then Plymouth as a championship club.

I think you ignore plenty of reasons not to come here though. Including micromanagement, austerity, sky high unrealistic expectations and fans absolutely right behind the previous manager with no faith in the powers that be. 

I can't name a single manager in my lifetime who's career benefitted from being here, no single manager has managed to achieve our aim of Premier League football. A few have been backed to the hilt to get there, and that's not what NP's replacement is going to get. 

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Really?

Job Description:

1) Deliver promotion with current squad

2) Squad wage budget maxed out 

3) Owner given up no longer putting his hands in his pockets for decent transfers

4) Best players will be sold to keep club solvent

5) You will play in the style told to you by Brian Tinnion, a legend at Bristol City (but nowhere else)

6) Chairman is a basket case

7) Club is up for sale and comes with basketball and rugby!

I don't see that as a terribly attractive gig tbh, particularly when you see how Pearson got treated.

• Like 2

The worrying thing is the next Manager we get is likely to say everything the Circus wants to hear. Yes, there is a great squad here, yes I can turn it round, yes I’ll work with wet behind the ears kid etc. That could be a crafty sod seeing a nice payout in 18 months or someone who believes they can make a silk purse from a sows ear. Either or.

Anyone who goes to interview and says I need more experience, what do you expect me to do with this squad etc. etc. will have Jon’s cup of coffee lobbed at them over the table.

If a new Manager comes in, looks at the kids and says they aren’t close to being ready, I need a couple of proper pro’s brought in Tins could find his pathway that we KNOW Nige was working to blown to smithereens.

Be careful what you wish for might just apply to Tinnion rather than us lot wishing the hierarchy would do one as much as anyone. Are we then looking at further Sunday morning sackings? Jon, he’s not playing fair, that’s not what he said at interview blah blah blah.

• Like 2