IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

44 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Oh Pete, you really had me going there,  thought you'd cracked it!

I read it over and over again until it suddenly dawned on me....

At that time they would have still been serving breakfast....

Also it's the Marriott Royal, not the Royal Marriott...

Sorry mate, great try.

Mind you, with the quality of people currently running the club maybe the pictures of Frank eating Sunday lunch were taken LAST WEEK...

Now there's a thought....

Someone is gonna book the Four Seasons aren’t they!

13 hours ago, italian dave said:

And a reasoned response, thanks.

I don’t share the anger, even if there’s lots about the decision that puzzles me, and lots about the way the club’s being run right now that frustrates me. But I have been angry about things in the past, and you make a good case for why you’re angry.

I suppose that after years of frustration (more pre-Lansdown than since to be honest) I’ve come to the conclusion that the the best approach is the theory (it’s probably got a name!) that it’s more productive to focus on the things you can control, or that you can influence. Rather than on the things you have no control or influence over. And that getting angry over things you’ve got no control over rarely delivers anything but more frustration!

I understand that you and I and everyone on here all support the club. And I understand the argument for the long term future of the club being better served by another owner. But whether or when that happens is entirely outside our control and getting angry about it won’t change that. Whereas, in the meantime, what we can influence/control is the support we give to the new manager, whoever it is, and to the players, whichever regime they’re associated with, 

Thanks, and yes, this is true.

In fact, the main mantra that I endeavour to live my life by, which is not so much to do with 'anger' (because that always subsides eventually), but more to do 'worry' (which is a far greater threat to wellbeing), is that I always try not to fret about things that I can't do anything about. 

Of course, in this instance, the one thing that I can control is whether I give the Lansdowns another penny of my money.

And I will not.

Ever again.

• Admin
51 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

To any of the moderators on here. It seems there is a poster replying to my posts that I’ve put on ignore. Is it possible for them not to see my posts as I don’t want contact from him. I’ve tried to DM him but he’s too cowardly to receive them . Thank you 

There is a problem with this facility as it is an unsupported add on and not actually part of the build anymore. 

This is controlled by the Web hosts and out of our hands, but the wheels are in motion with invision to raise our issue

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Very relaxed thank you . I just don’t put up with bullshit 

Now who needs to relax . Do you or do you not make excuses for the lansdowns ? How am I being a hypocrite in saying that? Unwanted opinion 😂 you’re on a open forum ffs . If you don’t like it put me on ignore 

No, I do not always make excuses for the Lansdowns, please see my post below from a few days ago, although, sometimes opinions do change. I won't expect an apology. 

"In solidarity with my fellow fans, I find myself echoing a sentiment that resonates deeply within our community. We owe an immeasurable debt of gratitude to Steve and Jon for the transformation they’ve brought to our beloved club, catapulting our infrastructure into the modern era. Steve, in his tenure, has displayed undeniable commitment, albeit with a few missteps that we can’t ignore. Yet, there’s a perceptible shift in their involvement – a disinterest that’s mirrored by their recent reluctance to invest in the team.

What profoundly troubles me is the extent to which the ambitions of our club’s devoted 23,000 attendees, and the many thousands more around the globe, hinge on the owners’ engagement. When they show signs of apathy, it inevitably ripples through the entire fan base.

Picture, if you will, a scenario where your boss seems disengaged from the company’s goals. The message this conveys is one of indifference, a sentiment we cannot afford. What’s even more disconcerting is the apparent breakdown in communication. Over the past two months, Nigel Pearson and Kalas have publicly highlighted the lack of dialogue within the club. To reiterate – two key figures within our club are left in the dark, and our manager has had to take the extraordinary step of addressing this publicly. It’s a situation that’s difficult to fathom.

In light of these developments, it seems prudent to consider the idea of transitioning the ownership of our club. Perhaps it’s time to seek new custodians who possess the enthusiasm and energy needed to rekindle our club’s ambitions and drive it to new heights. The future of Bristol City deserves a fresh and invigorating perspective, one that matches the dedication of the fans who hold it dear."

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

To any of the moderators on here. It seems there is a poster replying to my posts that I’ve put on ignore. Is it possible for them not to see my posts as I don’t want contact from him. I’ve tried to DM him but he’s too cowardly to receive them . Thank you 

Best way to sort this out is to get a room together, order a couple of club sandwiches with a few beers from room service, and have a good long heart to heart to try and resolve your differences.

If this doesn't work you can then proceed to kick the sh!t out of each other.

That should do it. 

Edited by 42nite
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

No, I do not always make excuses for the Lansdowns, please see my post below from a few days ago, although, sometimes opinions do change. I won't expect an apology. 

"In solidarity with my fellow fans, I find myself echoing a sentiment that resonates deeply within our community. We owe an immeasurable debt of gratitude to Steve and Jon for the transformation they’ve brought to our beloved club, catapulting our infrastructure into the modern era. Steve, in his tenure, has displayed undeniable commitment, albeit with a few missteps that we can’t ignore. Yet, there’s a perceptible shift in their involvement – a disinterest that’s mirrored by their recent reluctance to invest in the team.

What profoundly troubles me is the extent to which the ambitions of our club’s devoted 23,000 attendees, and the many thousands more around the globe, hinge on the owners’ engagement. When they show signs of apathy, it inevitably ripples through the entire fan base.

Picture, if you will, a scenario where your boss seems disengaged from the company’s goals. The message this conveys is one of indifference, a sentiment we cannot afford. What’s even more disconcerting is the apparent breakdown in communication. Over the past two months, Nigel Pearson and Kalas have publicly highlighted the lack of dialogue within the club. To reiterate – two key figures within our club are left in the dark, and our manager has had to take the extraordinary step of addressing this publicly. It’s a situation that’s difficult to fathom.

In light of these developments, it seems prudent to consider the idea of transitioning the ownership of our club. Perhaps it’s time to seek new custodians who possess the enthusiasm and energy needed to rekindle our club’s ambitions and drive it to new heights. The future of Bristol City deserves a fresh and invigorating perspective, one that matches the dedication of the fans who hold it dear."

I called you a apologist on the back of a few posts.  If I’m incorrect then I apologise . 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I suspect that must be me.

I also suspect that if you put someone on ignore - you probably can't then DM them.

If it is me- I can give you every assurance that I would respond to you. As for being cowardly- in my entire time on OTIB , I've never put someone on ignore. 

If it all gets too much then as Tom F recommended: Take a break.

PS ( Edit) I have just seen @phantom's response.

Until such time as that facility is available to you, I agree I will not respond, comment or give a reaction to any of your posts so long as you do likewise.It's a "gentleman's mutual ignore". If you DM me I will respond as I would with anyone- good or bad.

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Firstly, good post overall explaining your view of the situation.

I only quoted your final para to ask what options you see by using the word “transition”.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, good post overall explaining your view of the situation.

I only quoted your final para to ask what options you see by using the word “transition”.

That's an excellent question. I used the term "transiting," but what I really meant was making changes. However, my perspective has evolved in recent days, especially after watching the recent interviews. It's fair to say that things had grown somewhat stagnant. I believe a shake-up in various aspects of the football club is necessary. Is the timing ideal? Certainly not, but it seemed that they had their backs against the wall due to the contract's expiration and NP's health issues. Additionally, I concur that the strained relationship between NP and the owners played a part in this decision.

Upon deeper reflection, I think we might have been looking at the style of football being played and the signings through rose-tinted glasses, primarily because of our deep admiration for NP as a person. We may have been overly lenient in evaluating other aspects of his performance. Let's objectively assess the hard facts, setting aside our affection for Nigel as a person.

His football tactics were often uninspiring, characterized by aimless punts. The team's home form was disappointing. Regarding the signings, here's a breakdown (off the top of my head, please correct me if I've missed any etc):

- Danny Simpson: Underperformed
- Kane Wilson: Underperformed and struggled with fitness
- Ross McCrorie: Hasn't played a single minute (not NP's fault)
- Haydon Roberts: Underwhelming
- Rob Dickie: A solid signing
- (TGH): Showed potential recently in midfield
- Andy King: Underwhelming 
- Mark Sykes: Decent
- Stefan Bajic: Not played
- Harry Cornick: No significant improvement on what we've got, perhaps even worse
- Anis Mehmeti: Failed to make an impact so far
- Timm Klose: Failed to impress
- Matty James: Performed decently in patches
- George Tanner: Displays potential
- Rob Atkinson: A solid addition
- Kal Naismith - Decent 
- Jason Knight - Decent 

I may have omitted a few, but you get the idea. NP himself said he would only bring in someone better than what we already had, well, you can make your own mind up. The argument that he hasn't been backed, well, he clearly was. Although not as well as he could have been after the AS sale, although I think the Lansdowns minds were made up and didn't want to give him that money. 

I want to make it clear that I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm open to hearing other opinions in a constructive manner. While I initially viewed this decision as shocking, I now see that NP's football style was far from exciting, and the quality of his signings was, at best, mediocre, although I understand there may have been limitations. Please feel free to offer your perspective without resorting to abuse, as I'm open to considering differing viewpoints. In this instance, I tend to side with the Lansdowns and don't believe NP was as exceptional as some may perceive.

sorry @DavefevsI went a bit off course there. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
*Missed some players.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

49 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I suspect that must be me.

I also suspect that if you put someone on ignore - you probably can't then DM them.

If it is me- I can give you every assurance that I would respond to you. As for being cowardly- in my entire time on OTIB , I've never put someone on ignore. 

If it all gets too much then as Tom F recommended: Take a break.

PS ( Edit) I have just seen @phantom's response.

Until such time as that facility is available to you, I agree I will not respond, comment or give a reaction to any of your posts so long as you do likewise.It's a "gentleman's mutual ignore". If you DM me I will respond as I would with anyone- good or bad.

In all honesty, having seen your posts over the last few days I think it is you that needs a break.

My stance on recent events at the club is different to yours although that is not why I am saying this. You are a respected poster on this forum and you have started to lapse from those standards into an approach that could be politely described as catty.

Online debates by their very nature end up like this when issues close to people are discussed. I'm no angel and have had a couple of angry posts over the last week myself! It's totally up to you on whether you wish to take this on board or not but I would at least suggest taking a step back and wondering if you yourself are overreacting and coarsening the debate further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superjack said:

Thanks, and yes, this is true.

In fact, the main mantra that I endeavour to live my life by, which is not so much to do with 'anger' (because that always subsides eventually), but more to do 'worry' (which is a far greater threat to wellbeing), is that I always try not to fret about things that I can't do anything about. 

Of course, in this instance, the one thing that I can control is whether I give the Lansdowns another penny of my money.

And I will not.

Ever again.

Aaahhh, worry: now that’s an emotion that’s far more insidious and dangerous when you’re talking about Bristol City 😂

I’ve learnt that I can’t even enjoy being 3-0 up until the 90th minute at the earliest! And that it’s more of a worry being 3 up than 1 up because you look all the more stupid when you throw it away!

I got angry when the club - or Osman anyway - sent Jacki packing. I’m not sure whether your forum name might mean you’d sympathise with that view. I cancelled my City Society membership - and although Ive got over the anger I’ve never got round to rejoining it or any of its successors.

It won’t have made a blind bit of difference to the club, even less so to Osman! So it’s really about what the impact has been on me! Harder to say in this case: it might have saved me a lot of money, it might have cost me a house or a £1000 prize!

And I suppose that’s what you have to consider. You not giving the club your money won’t affect what Lansdown does one iota. It’s about what it does for you.

Makes you feel better in the short term I’m sure. Possibly the longer term too. It’s not likely Lansdown will disappear anytime very soon. Even if he finds a buyer it will all take time. That’s maybe not welcome but it’s reality.

But it will presumably mean you no longer go to Ashton Gate to watch the City. If the balance is that that won’t worry you as much as the way you feel about not giving them money then it’s the right call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Nest Egg said:

In all honesty, having seen your posts over the last few days I think it is you that needs a break.

My stance on recent events at the club is different to yours although that is not why I am saying this. You are a respected poster on this forum and you have started to lapse from those standards into an approach that could be politely described as catty.

Online debates by their very nature end up like this when issues close to people are discussed. I'm no angel and have had a couple of angry posts over the last week myself! It's totally up to you on whether you wish to take this on board or not but I would at least suggest taking a step back and wondering if you yourself are overreacting and coarsening the debate further.

Thanks but no .

I have some  views which are held by no more than about 20% of posters on here which some find entirely unacceptable to their own polarised position. I will continue to post as and when the urge takes me. However, I will make an effort not to tap the ball the net in every time someone tees up an inviting open goal. If, with hindsight, I've been wrong then I will apologise as I've always done both on here and in the real world.

I think that The Lansdowns have done more good than harm despite some obvious mistakes. I think that we have, on balance, a very well run club with an amazing stadium and associated training facilities. For some this is akin to supporting a psychopathic dictator and my view is unacceptable to them.

You may also find that there are those that have over a number of seasons  sniped or been extremely rude and sometimes I'll bite back as I don't place people on ignore and some don't like a taste of their own medicine. I'm prepared to read their misguided opinion even when it's wrong....(imo of course!).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Aaahhh, worry: now that’s an emotion that’s far more insidious and dangerous when you’re talking about Bristol City 😂

I’ve learnt that I can’t even enjoy being 3-0 up until the 90th minute at the earliest! And that it’s more of a worry being 3 up than 1 up because you look all the more stupid when you throw it away!

I got angry when the club - or Osman anyway - sent Jacki packing. I’m not sure whether your forum name might mean you’d sympathise with that view. I cancelled my City Society membership - and although Ive got over the anger I’ve never got round to rejoining it or any of its successors.

It won’t have made a blind bit of difference to the club, even less so to Osman! So it’s really about what the impact has been on me! Harder to say in this case: it might have saved me a lot of money, it might have cost me a house or a £1000 prize!

And I suppose that’s what you have to consider. You not giving the club your money won’t affect what Lansdown does one iota. It’s about what it does for you.

Makes you feel better in the short term I’m sure. Possibly the longer term too. It’s not likely Lansdown will disappear anytime very soon. Even if he finds a buyer it will all take time. That’s maybe not welcome but it’s reality.

But it will presumably mean you no longer go to Ashton Gate to watch the City. If the balance is that that won’t worry you as much as the way you feel about not giving them money then it’s the right call. 

Cheers. 

Yes, I am only too aware that it won't make any difference to the  Lansdowns, just as the views of the supporters don't, whichever side of any debate they are on, but this week is the final straw for me, and I will not line the pockets of people that I no longer respect and sadly now actively dislike. 

It is the right call for me. And yes, my username does indeed refer to the 'polish George Best', and not to me being a Swansea fan as I was accused of all those years ago when I started on here. 😂

• Robin 1

3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

That's an excellent question. I used the term "transiting," but what I really meant was making changes. However, my perspective has evolved in recent days, especially after watching the recent interviews. It's fair to say that things had grown somewhat stagnant. I believe a shake-up in various aspects of the football club is necessary. Is the timing ideal? Certainly not, but it seemed that they had their backs against the wall due to the contract's expiration and NP's health issues. Additionally, I concur that the strained relationship between NP and the owners played a part in this decision.

Upon deeper reflection, I think we might have been looking at the style of football being played and the signings through rose-tinted glasses, primarily because of our deep admiration for NP as a person. We may have been overly lenient in evaluating other aspects of his performance. Let's objectively assess the hard facts, setting aside our affection for Nigel as a person.

His football tactics were often uninspiring, characterized by aimless punts. The team's home form was disappointing. Regarding the signings, here's a breakdown (off the top of my head, please correct me if I've missed any etc):

- Danny Simpson: Underperformed
- Kane Wilson: Underperformed and struggled with fitness
- Ross McCrorie: Hasn't played a single minute (not NP's fault)
- Haydon Roberts: Underwhelming
- Rob Dickie: A solid signing
- (TGH): Showed potential recently in midfield
- Andy King: Underwhelming 
- Mark Sykes: Decent
- Stefan Bajic: Not played
- Harry Cornick: No significant improvement on what we've got, perhaps even worse
- Anis Mehmeti: Failed to make an impact so far
- Timm Klose: Failed to impress
- Matty James: Performed decently in patches
- George Tanner: Displays potential
- Rob Atkinson: A solid addition
- Kal Naismith - Decent 
- Jason Knight - Decent 

I may have omitted a few, but you get the idea. NP himself said he would only bring in someone better than what we already had, well, you can make your own mind up. The argument that he hasn't been backed, well, he clearly was. Although not as well as he could have been after the AS sale, although I think the Lansdowns minds were made up and didn't want to give him that money. 

I want to make it clear that I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm open to hearing other opinions in a constructive manner. While I initially viewed this decision as shocking, I now see that NP's football style was far from exciting, and the quality of his signings was, at best, mediocre, although I understand there may have been limitations. Please feel free to offer your perspective without resorting to abuse, as I'm open to considering differing viewpoints. In this instance, I tend to side with the Lansdowns and don't believe NP was as exceptional as some may perceive.

sorry @DavefevsI went a bit off course there. 

Ta.

To start with the “transition” - I can’t see how SL is gonna get investment without full control, so for me it’s SL as owner or new owners, no in-between.  Without going over lots of old ground I suspect that involves selling the whole lot, rather than just “Football” (club, training ground and stadium), because I don’t think he’ll see any benefit in retaining the remainder.  That all comes down to setting the right price.  I don’t think he’s got that right, but it’s his choice, and therefore interest has cooled.

Tactics:

I try to look beyond my “love” of Nige the football manager, and I think there are pluses / minuses. WSM for example, getting the best out of Weimann, creating a £10m player out of Semenyo because he found a way to get end product (Holden didn’t) that attracted PL clubs.  But it was very dependent on those 3 players, in effect we attacked with 3 players on the counter plus Pring pretty much.  It wasn’t how he wanted to play.

The transition to a back 4 was step 1 of moving towards his desired style.  A good unbeaten run / cup run, then injuries.

Step 2 was the more controlling tactic, losing Scott didn’t help.

I think there are flaws in the front three system with the players we have, but I wonder if he would’ve tweaked it had Conway and Wells both been fit.

I don’t believe he wanted to play long, but I also think us fans would be having kittens if we tried to play like Southampton.  I think he tried to compromise by making us harder to beat.

Recruitment:

The biggest subjective area re the players themselves.  I’m not gonna go into budgets, circumstances, etc.  But it is a collective process.  And in Nige’s case he’s probably the least involved manager in the game (subjective) in the middle part of that process.  He will set the needs, and do the final player check.  All the in-between is other people.  He will openly admit he doesn’t scout, although he does go to watch other games, just in the latter stage to get his own eyes on a player.  He empowers Tinnion and Gilhespy for talent Id / agent conversations and the finance stuff to the CEO.

So just like I saw recruitment as a collective under SL/MA/SG/LJ, it’s no different now…apart from involvement through the lifecycle.

So, whilst I think it has improved, if you want to have a view it’s far from optimal, you might want to look at who WAS involved in those signings you list and who are STILL here.  The only change to recruitment personnel is Nige being replaced by new head-coach.  The same people who crunched the data, scouted those players (physically and video) and decided who to put in front of Nige are still here.

I guess my final point is, the new set-up (assuming Curtis has gone / is going) is all JL and Tinnion’s men now.  The only 3/4 people who were involved but won’t be going forward are Nige, Jason, Dave and Phlegm.  I get the impression JL and BT have forgotten their own roles in the past 2.5 years!!! 😉

We can judge the next regime in 100% clarity.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What's happened that some are suddenly convinced it's Manning?

No idea, but hope they are wrong.

Underwhelming, uninspiring, and certainly not exciting imo.

If it is him, he'll get my support, but to go from Nigel Pearson to Liam Manning is very disappointing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What's happened that some are suddenly convinced it's Manning?

Someone came on and said that it's definitely going to be Manning and provided a time frame for when it would be announced. That's all it seems to take.

Thank goodness social media wasn't around in the blitz. There'd be constant ITKs telling us when the next air raid was due. We would never emerge from our shelters. Although, thinking about it that wouldn't happen because if an ITK got it right about the next raid they'd be promptly arrested, tortured in the Tower of London and hung as a spy within a week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4