IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

6 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

What am I missing here so far as understanding why Joe Edwards to Millwall impacts anything to do with Lampard and us? Not that I think for a second that FL is coming here!

He was on Lampard's coaching team at Everton, doesn't necessarily mean anything unless he was rumoured to be coming with FL

5 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

What am I missing here so far as understanding why Joe Edwards to Millwall impacts anything to do with Lampard and us? Not that I think for a second that FL is coming here!

He and Frank Lampard usually come as a pair.  He's been his assistant in various FL managerial stints.  Not advocating him at all but I am sure why FL couldn't find someone else, he might do better than he has in previous appointments.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ta.

To start with the “transition” - I can’t see how SL is gonna get investment without full control, so for me it’s SL as owner or new owners, no in-between.  Without going over lots of old ground I suspect that involves selling the whole lot, rather than just “Football” (club, training ground and stadium), because I don’t think he’ll see any benefit in retaining the remainder.  That all comes down to setting the right price.  I don’t think he’s got that right, but it’s his choice, and therefore interest has cooled.

Tactics:

I try to look beyond my “love” of Nige the football manager, and I think there are pluses / minuses. WSM for example, getting the best out of Weimann, creating a £10m player out of Semenyo because he found a way to get end product (Holden didn’t) that attracted PL clubs.  But it was very dependent on those 3 players, in effect we attacked with 3 players on the counter plus Pring pretty much.  It wasn’t how he wanted to play.

The transition to a back 4 was step 1 of moving towards his desired style.  A good unbeaten run / cup run, then injuries.

Step 2 was the more controlling tactic, losing Scott didn’t help.

I think there are flaws in the front three system with the players we have, but I wonder if he would’ve tweaked it had Conway and Wells both been fit.

I don’t believe he wanted to play long, but I also think us fans would be having kittens if we tried to play like Southampton.  I think he tried to compromise by making us harder to beat.

Recruitment:

The biggest subjective area re the players themselves.  I’m not gonna go into budgets, circumstances, etc.  But it is a collective process.  And in Nige’s case he’s probably the least involved manager in the game (subjective) in the middle part of that process.  He will set the needs, and do the final player check.  All the in-between is other people.  He will openly admit he doesn’t scout, although he does go to watch other games, just in the latter stage to get his own eyes on a player.  He empowers Tinnion and Gilhespy for talent Id / agent conversations and the finance stuff to the CEO.

So just like I saw recruitment as a collective under SL/MA/SG/LJ, it’s no different now…apart from involvement through the lifecycle.

So, whilst I think it has improved, if you want to have a view it’s far from optimal, you might want to look at who WAS involved in those signings you list and who are STILL here.  The only change to recruitment personnel is Nige being replaced by new head-coach.  The same people who crunched the data, scouted those players (physically and video) and decided who to put in front of Nige are still here.

I guess my final point is, the new set-up (assuming Curtis has gone / is going) is all JL and Tinnion’s men now.  The only 3/4 people who were involved but won’t be going forward are Nige, Jason, Dave and Phlegm.  I get the impression JL and BT have forgotten their own roles in the past 2.5 years!!! 😉

We can judge the next regime in 100% clarity.

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been all over the place. As always, a great, respectful and intelligent reply. So do feel that (or even know) that recruitment was away from NP? 

If that is the case, do you think that would be the model for whoever is coming in, and do you think that it would affect who would want the position? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been all over the place. As always, a great, respectful and intelligent reply. So do feel that (or even know) that recruitment was away from NP? 

If that is the case, do you think that would be the model for whoever is coming in, and do you think that it would affect who would want the position? 

Yes, recruitment model / process is firmly in place, regardless of the head-coach.  Only difference might be how active they are in the day-to-day of it (Nige not overly, new-man might be heavy).  It shouldn’t put anyone off, if the new “head-coach” brief is as they’ve told us.  Nobody should be applying if they want to rip up what is already in place.

The kind of thing that I think will affect who applies is:

• their view of the squad versus aspirations of hierarchy
  • money available in January
  • what scope there is to bring in their own staff if they desire
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Maybe because one of the other two candidates short listed for Millwall are now coming to us. Beale or Nathan Jones. Hope I'm wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, recruitment model / process is firmly in place, regardless of the head-coach.  Only difference might be how active they are in the day-to-day of it (Nige not overly, new-man might be heavy).  It shouldn’t put anyone off, if the new “head-coach” brief is as they’ve told us.  Nobody should be applying if they want to rip up what is already in place.

I don’t know about you, but reading between the lines I think this “nest egg” was meant for the new HC and they didn’t want NP to touch it. I think the new HC might be given a hammer to crack the piggy bank open. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think any candidate with any sense would do a bit of research on the club such as looking at social media and the interviews by JL/BT.

That would put anyone off !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

He and Frank Lampard usually come as a pair.  He's been his assistant in various FL managerial stints.  Not advocating him at all but I am sure why FL couldn't find someone else, he might do better than he has in previous appointments.

This would surely have no bearing on what Lampard does next, other than him not being able to call on Edwards as his assistant. It’s just more BS ‘journalism’ from the Bristol Post. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interference from the board? That would be on my list...

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

I don’t know about you, but reading between the lines I think this “nest egg” was meant for the new HC and they didn’t want NP to touch it. I think the new HC might be given a hammer to crack the piggy bank open. 

From listening to Gavin Marshall’s ITV West interview, I got the impression the Alex Scott money is going to used to spread over the coming years, to reduce SL’s funding reliance each year.

To use a crude example, if SL was gonna fund £20m per year, he’d “keep-back” £5m a year (from the Scott money) to virtually reduce his funding requirement to £15m per year.

Of course the club still expect to sell players (that’s the model) so that gives him a bit of security to allow some player investment.

So, I honestly don’t think the piggy-bank gets cracked open, but the new head-coach will be using a screwdriver to extract some of it.  Which full-circle surprises me why Nige wasn’t allowed some too!

Happy if others saw it different, but GM is SL’s money-man, so I think he is the one to follow on this issue.  Of course I may have misinterpreted it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From listening to Gavin Marshall’s ITV West interview, I got the impression the Alex Scott money is going to used to spread over the coming years, to reduce SL’s funding reliance each year.

To use a crude example, if SL was gonna fund £20m per year, he’d “keep-back” £5m a year (from the Scott money) to virtually reduce his funding requirement to £15m per year.

Of course the club still expect to sell players (that’s the model) so that gives him a bit of security to allow some player investment.

So, I honestly don’t think the piggy-bank gets cracked open, but the new head-coach will be using a screwdriver to extract some of it.  Which full-circle surprises me why Nige wasn’t allowed some too!

Happy if others saw it different, but GM is SL’s money-man, so I think he is the one to follow on this issue.  Of course I may have misinterpreted it.

That is his choice and one that fans of every club obsess over, however if we can't fill a subs bench that suggests that things are being run a bit too tight.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2023 at 13:38, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Know this is from Monday but has struck a chord. Imagine sinking that much of your own money into something each year, although all relative to wealth and getting such a poisonous and obnoxious set of fans in return. ouch 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Know this is from Monday but has struck a chord. Imagine sinking that much of your own money into something each year, although all relative to wealth and getting such a poisonous and obnoxious set of fans in return. ouch 

I think one of the problems for SL, well there are a range if issues but specifically for this.

A lot of owners are 5-10 years or get into the PL relatively quickly or yoyo.

We have had one near miss in his 20-25 years. Lots of support, without a great deal of tangible reward.

There is a frustration among fans..as we often seem to hit a glass ceiling and then stall or regress and in addition it feels like his tenure may have run it's course. Bit of stasis and stagnation.

Especially with JL not properly taking on the mantle and grasping the nettle to run the club overall. He is only in the role because of who he is.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

47 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Any reason to tag that on the end of my post about GM’s interview and interpretation of what he was saying to the fans?

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think one of the problems for SL, well there are a range if issues but specifically for this.

A lot of owners are 5-10 years or get into the PL relatively quickly or yoyo.

We have had one near miss in his 20-25 years. Lots of support, without a great deal of tangible reward.

There is a frustration among fans..as we often seem to hit a glass ceiling and then stall or regress and in addition it feels like his tenure may have run it's course. Bit of stasis and stagnation.

Especially with JL not properly taking on the mantle and grasping the nettle to run the club overall. He is only in the role because of who he is.

Do we underestimate the difficulty of doing so though? So many clubs trying to do the same thing, very few make it. This is the story of many many clubs - why should we be special? For sure we could be and with better ownership many we could be but don’t think it’s that easy

3 minutes ago, Spreadsheet Boy said:

Any reason to tag that on the end of my post about GM’s interview and interpretation of what he was saying to the fans?

Within the vitriol that is inescapable on the forum right now it just struck me as abit of a reminder of what it takes to run a football club and what little return you do get 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Do we underestimate the difficulty of doing so though? So many clubs trying to do the same thing, very few make it. This is the story of many many clubs - why should we be special? For sure we could be and with better ownership many we could be but don’t think it’s that easy

This is a fair point but there have been some terrible decisions and wasted opportunities.

2008 totally stands out for me, January 2008..A sliding door moment? It isn't that easy no, but Stoke pushed for it in January 2008.

There was bad luck, 6 years from stadium plan at Ashton Vale, we had to slide to Plan B..October 2013.

NP and his staff just the latest example, if there was a time to back and continue building it was now.

After 20-25 years it can go stale. There has been misfortune, there have been bad decisions but it feels like Bristol City and the Lansdowns have run their course.

I should also add, the game like the market moves quickly. SL and his strategy looked sound on one level in Spring 2023 but for 2 subsequent events.

1) The FA liberalised work permits..unexpected.

2) Championship clubs begin spending again, in part spending next year's TV money in the here and now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2