IGNORED

Joe Sims interview with JL

Dastardly and Muttley

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Erm his expenditure on the side, I don't think he would be some expansive in the transfer market owner.

He would want us to run on our own resources broadly speaking, if history is anything to go by.

Maybe he would go for it early to try and get us up, I dunno. He has his merits but some roll the dice etc.

2 championship titles. 3 top 10 prem finishes. 3 x 12th place and 2 x 13th place. 
I’d settle for that and be sustainably run. 

Newcastle fans just didn’t like him because he sacked Keegan and then Shearer. They’re a different breed up there and don’t forgive someone shitting on their hero’s. 

After that the fans didn’t give him any rope whatsoever and ultimately he just wanted out but at the right price. 

He continually gave the Newcastle fans what they wanted - Keegan, Shearer, Benitez. They just never forgave him for removing Keegan. 

He will own another football club soon. There’s been talk of Derby last year, talk of Reading now. He will be back and I actually think he’ll do pretty well for whichever clubs he takes over. 

• Like 2

My takeaways:

Communication -  ‘It is up to us to explain better what we are doing’ ‘Up to us to explain what we are doing and communicate better so they (the fans) understand our decisions better and can feel connected’ ‘I freely admit our communication hasn’t been as good as it should have been and that’s not just now’ 

CEO - ‘With our set up there isn’t really a need for a typical CE’ 

Reference sacking NP - ‘We aren’t doing as well as we wanted to and that’s what the decision was based upon’ 

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

The failure to back Nige, even with a top ten budget, is as indicative of Lansdowns lack of interest in promotion; just as it was at the January window in GJ’s play off final season.

I just don’t understand where the Ls are coming from 

That was the huge missed opportunity really.

To say lack of interest is a bit harsh IMO but he does often back the wrong horse at the wrong time, whereas he holds when rolling the dice maybe a better plan.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I posted on WhatsApp to Harry the other night, something like.

I don’t care about attractive football, I care about results, and by results I mean achieving results via an identifiable method (system)…whether that be hung-ho or defensive / counter-attacking.

I really don’t mind.  I can get behind anything.  But I do want to win, and I do want to win because of the way we play, whatever system that is.  I don’t want to lose playing attacking, nor do I want to lose playing defensively either.

I've never understood a 'win at all costs' attitude. I want City to win the right way; not cheating, and playing good football. Otherwise, winning just won't feel special. 

7 hours ago, mozo said:

I've never understood a 'win at all costs' attitude. I want City to win the right way; not cheating, and playing good football. Otherwise, winning just won't feel special. 

Not sure if you’re suggesting that I’m saying “win at all costs”, I’m certainly not advocating Warnock or Alex Neil stuff, but “good football” for me doesn’t have to be “attractive”.  I can quite handle “attritional” football for example if I see the method behind it.  I can handle “direct” football if I see the method behind it.  If it’s “free flowing” great, but I don’t really mind.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bottom half now.

Based on 21/22 accounts and teams now in the Champ this season, here is the wages at that point.

IMG_8924.thumb.jpeg.9bb3c9c51693aa1510bc8a0d9c3c2df0.jpeg

My gut feel is that:

Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Watford and Norwich all have higher budgets than us….they are the PP clubs.

then add:

West Brom, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Birmingham - that’s another 5, making 10.

then if you take SL’s view that our wage budget is now in the £18-20m bracket, you can add the likes of:

Swansea, QPR, Coventry (off of this summer’s spending), Preston and Blackburn…maybe even Millwall.

+++++

I’d say we are 15th / 16th / 17th….possibly bottom 8, but only just.

Thoughts?

Sorry, can’t quote, so screenie.

IMG_8923.thumb.jpeg.218166919f75abbda5bb5735cc7e927a.jpeg

For info - Chris Martin exercised HIS RIGHT based on the contract he signed under Holden that if he played x games (circa 30-35) he got an extra year,

Naismith was match too versus Leeds, calf tightened with 5-10 mins to go.

Thoughts. I thought despite my rudimentary understanding that the statement made was unrealistic, at best.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said: Lansdowns have screwed up royally and out of desperation have manouvered several puppets to attempt a rescue mission against their failing popularity. Firstly, Joe Sims ( pls give me another gig, yes sir, no sir, sorry I’m not a real sports interviewer) to broadcast their spin. Sadly most of the paying customers are probably unable to question the gaps. Secondly. When poor old Tin’s was placed in front of the camera he looked like he’d been captured by the Taliban, bless you mate, bet you loved that experience. 

Just now, Eastendboy1965 said:

The Lansdowns have screwed up royally and out of-desperation have manouvered several puppets to attempt a rescue mission against there failing popularity. Firstly, Joe Sims ( pls give me another gig, yes sir, no sir, sorry I’m not a real sports interviewer) to broadcast their spin. Sadly most of the paying customers are probably unable to question the gaps. Secondly. When poor old Tin’s was placed in front of the camera he looked like he’d been captured by the Taliban, bless you mate, bet you loved that experience. Im one sentence …  This club of ours is now in chaos. 

Football League World says Head Coach’s job will be attractive because of JL’s statement we are in top 10 of budgets.

Thus, imo, if money is made available then the decision to dispense with Nige’s services goes back to the summer.  The club never therefore had any intention of giving Nige a new contract and wanted a new man in before next transfer window - just waiting for opportune moment.

On 03/11/2023 at 08:26, Daniro said:

"We've stuck with Nigel through thick and thin"  ....

... until he got ill and needed hospital treatment and 8 of our first team players got injured

That makes it sound like the “thick and thin” was of his own making and they stood by honourably assisting and supporting him throughout. 
There weren’t exactly any thick times were there?

I know he wasn’t perfect, the results weren’t great, but it’s the lack of clarity and honesty around the whole thing and that gets me. 

• Like 2

On 04/11/2023 at 09:31, Banjo Red said:

We thought Nigel was damaging the team dah!! what are you tossers doing **** Bristol Sport and **** the Lansdowns.

Indeed, this idea that as a Bristol City fan I should be in favour of Bristol Sport and automatically be supportive of the concept, and the other teams involved, is weird afaic.

I'm a fan of Bristol City F.C. - I'm not interested in Bristol Sport in the slightest.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Thus, imo, if money is made available then the decision to dispense with Nige’s services goes back to the summer.  The club never therefore had any intention of giving Nige a new contract and wanted a new man in before next transfer window - just waiting for opportune moment.

Yep. My reading of it too

Edited by Merrick's Marvels