IGNORED

Joe Sims interview with JL

Dastardly and Muttley

Just now, Riaz said:

Its not our opinion we are defending. We are saying Nigel Pearson and Dave Rennie have had huge success with Leicester - they have more expertise than Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion. Thats not me or any of us, saying that us fans know more.

I think had there been more made (before NP was sacked) about the 9/10 days off over international breaks, and the subsequent form etc, people would be circulating that once again, its too cushty down at the HPC...

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

does that mean if we don't get promoted this year (or at least POs) he'll have to go?

Nah, it will be down to the bad start, irretrievable situation! 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

ffs, ok, he signed him he didn't buy him 🙄

And on a low wage, short term deal.  And despite the off field stuff (of which I’m not informed enough to have an opinion, although lots are), the feedback from some of the youngsters was that he was excellent, akin to the impact Ashley Williams had when he was here.

Its questionable whether he should’ve got another year, but it was a low cost solution.

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, it will be down to the bad start, irretrievable situation! 🤣🤣🤣

And on a low wage, short term deal.  And despite the off field stuff (of which I’m not informed enough to have an opinion, although lots are), the feedback from some of the youngsters was that he was excellent, akin to the impact Ashley Williams had when he was here.

Its questionable whether he should’ve got another year, but it was a low cost solution.

As far as I can remember, re Danny Simpson, his partner who he was accused/convicted of assaulting was very supportive of him at the time he played for us. They had a child together and she didn't want his name dragged through the mud, and also recognised it was part of his rehabilitation. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Simply don’t believe it.

By top ten does he really mean a budget that is higher than all but 9 other teams in our division?

So once you take out the parachute payment teams (6?) we still have a higher budget than virtually everyone else?

Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Stoke? Cardiff?  Birmingham? West Brom? At least 3 of these?

This is after shedding Bentley, Dasilva, Martin, Klose & the young talent Semenyo, Scott, from the wage bill.

We apparently have reduced it from £30m in LJ’s time to £17m under Nige.

Not having it, it’s a lie.

5 Parachute clubs iirc.. The 3 relegated plus Norwich and Watford.

Non Parachute wise, of those you list, I expect Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Stoke West Brom minimum absolutely have a higher wage bill than us.

Cardiff harder to say, in theory they should have been cutting back..expenditure was a bugbear of Neil at Sunderland.

Don't rule out a spike for Coventry too given their raft of signings. A range of others it is quite difficult to say.

By budget too, are we just including football wage bill or wage bill plus fees, loan fees etc. That is something JL should have been pressed on.

Hull as well, have pushed the boat out since Ilicali joined- that's one I almost forgot about.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

After the Coventry game, Mark Robins described us as ‘the highest pressers in the division, bar none’. 

Imagine how good at pressing we’ll be now we’ve got rid of Dr Evil not knowing how to keep our players in condition.

I, for one, welcome our new Sports Science/Physiotherapy overlord.. Jon Lansdown

but playing devils advocate, you can say that that game was the 1st game back, the subsequent 2 games, we lost, and probably didn't press as much... so maybe that's the issue

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Another new user with red in his title. Shame Bristol Sport employees couldn't be a bit more imaginative.

weird comment. Imagine Bristol Sport employees being a fan of City 🤣 not that he is. Does know his way around a roof though. He’d fit in at City’s media team. 

The weird NP cultists at it again I see. You lot would have Pearson own the club. Remember in simpler times you could have an opinion on here and debate it. Not have to fit in on one side of debate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

And as I'm sure you know from an accounting - ie ffp reporting - point of view it does all come in at once, at least the part that is certain (ie the part not linked to possible targets being met). 

We may not receive the real world cash in a single lump sum, but we will immediately have the accounting credit on the books ready to swallow any amortisation that we incur in signing a new player.

So again, it's not the whole story, and it is a slightly misleading way to wave away criticism.

Unfortunately he treats all fans the same, some have an understanding of this, and although he might get away with it with 90% of fans, he won’t with all.  Which is why I have asked him to confirm what he meant by budget!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

but playing devils advocate, you can say that that game was the 1st game back, the subsequent 2 games, we lost, and probably didn't press as much... so maybe that's the issue

I’d imagine neither of us have the numbers, so of course I could be wrong, but from what I saw I’d be stunned if we dropped in any sort of intensity in the Ipswich game. In fact, our energy was what probably kept us in it at times.

Dont know about Cardiff, to be honest with the team we had I’d admitted defeat before I even got in the ground. So the game rather washed over me.

46 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

To give credit to JL, he isn't presenting this as his personal opinion (even though it could have been taken like that). He explicitly states that what the team is doing with these extended breaks is quite unconventional in the league. So, it's not just JL's perspective; it's evidently shared by everyone else as well. When you consider that we have more injuries than any other team in the league, it makes his viewpoint on this matter quite valid. It's a concern we should all share, especially because whoever is responsible for the team's fitness seems to be falling short. It's one thing to claim that the team is the fittest we've ever had, but that statement becomes meaningless when half the players are sidelined with injuries. 

Unless JL can actually prove a number of the injuries we currently have (or previously had) was due to players not being conditioned correctly, Rennie has done something wrong or Pearson shouldn't have risked someone who then got injured, then the point on the number of injuries is meaningless. As there seems to be very valid reasons why the huge majority of our injured list are injured - through contact.

Add in the fact he made a point of saying they had longer breaks than other teams to try and make a point of why he went with Pearson too, and yet Fleming told us yesterday that these longer breaks is something they have always done, so why not sack them back then?

Maybe, just maybe this is the way to handle players with the way they play? I simply don't know, but I would trust a bloke who is highly thought of, rather than a bloke who has simply been told "others don't do it that way". It seems to me he has heard that from one/some others, and came to the conclusion that was the reason why we had all the injuries, without actually looking or asking the questions why we had all the injuries. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Spoke that alot of the Alex Scott money, that they were going to spend, was spent before hand, so they werent held to ransom - i accept that and thought that was the case.

The follow-up to accepting that is - why is the budget so low in the first place.

We really have t been told anything as to why we now appear to be working to “net zero” rather than towards FFP limits.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Just watched all 42 minutes 💤

To be fair, i think Jon Lansdown was on a hiding to nothing. Whatever he said, was going to be criticised.

I was really disappointed by this interview - it felt like two mates down the pub having a chat. To be fair to Joe, he's new in the job - so asking the hard questions, was never really going to happen.

My thoughts for what its worth:

They spoke about social media - couldnt care less

They spoke about communication - couldnt care less.

Said they want whats best for the club - I do actually believe that.

He criticised the time off during international breaks - Sorry Jon, but i trust Dave Rennie and Nigel Pearson, alot more than you. They have more expertise and have been there and done it.

Spoke that alot of the Alex Scott money, that they were going to spend, was spent before hand, so they werent held to ransom - i accept that and thought that was the case.

Spoke about where we are in the table - think this is gaslighting. Two of the more easier games coming up - win those and we are top half - the timing of this sacking and then complaining about league position - you are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Think I need a lie down. Since Pearson was wrongfully sacked, all things football-related, I've actually agreed with you Riaz. 

The interviews stink. Lansdowns have stunk the place out. How on earth has a man with no credentials been given the role of chairman? And how has tins got the director role?? And we have NO CEO, but we're told by the owners son, we don't need one? Riiiiight. 

I'm still in shock with how bad the past couple of weeks have been for our club. We're going to make the same mistakes over and over again with these clowns at the helm. 

I've had mates ask me who I want in as a manager. My response has been, what does it matter? These guys are the ones pulling the strings. We had a great manager in charge, but his face didn't fit. So unless it's a yes man, they won't be happy. And if its rotten at the top, then it doesn't matter who is beneath them.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 3

• Admin
13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

weird comment. Imagine Bristol Sport employees being a fan of City 🤣 not that he is. Does know his way around a roof though. He’d fit in at City’s media team. 

The weird NP cultists at it again I see. You lot would have Pearson own the club. Remember in simpler times you could have an opinion on here and debate it. Not have to fit in on one side of debate. 

You have missed the point that all these new accounts suddenly appeared all promoting the same things over and over again

This ISN'T supporters suddenly joining and giving their opinions - but I am sure that you already realised that?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Not been able to listen to the interview but picking things off here:-

Club communication post-Gould has been lamentable,  Nige stepped into the breach and dictated the narrative. Hence, why the hierarchy are on the back foot now. Shared BS CEO and media has been disasterous for the football club, despite what we were assured. Needs sorting now, particularly as we know JL and BT are not good public communicators.

The injuries are what did it for Nige. You don't need to be a sports scientist to determine that 12 injured out of a squad 24 odd players is a massive fail by any measure. So with JL on this one - assuming the pitches are ruled out as the reason. Nige's defence of bad luck and all bar one are impact injuries didn't wash with me either.

What is undoubtedly an absolute fail is not having anyone lined up to replace Nige. Frankly that is amateur beyond belief.

What a total shambles this has been from the start to the current point of this messy saga. When we look back to having the best CEO in the Championship to a now a deleted post, the best shirts to the worst, one of the best managers to none, one of the best media teams to something that appears to have gone mute... it would appear things can only get better. But this is Bristol City so we may yet have a way to go.

Agree with all but bar the injuries, way too simplistic imo. You at the very least need to look where they have occured for the Cardiff match the following players were out;

Benarous - training

Naismith -training

Williams -training

James -training

Wiles Richards - training

Atkinson - match

Tanner - match

King - match

Roberts -match

Nhaki -match

Vyner - match

Of the 11 injuries 6 were from injured in a match. I think its unfair to put that on Nige and his team.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Of course not, and I these things obviously happen, but there is so many times that we can keep saying that we are unlucky. 

Agree it’s not luck / bad luck….for me it’s poor risk mitigation to have such a small squad because the budget is too small.  I guess Nige / Tins (let’s not ignore his role) could’ve recruited 3 inferior players instead of 1 player of the required quality.

Therefore other factors, e.g. the scenario of why didn’t we sign another CB it was obvious we are light.  The injury to Rob Atkinson, who is on a 3 year contract, stops you signing a player too.  You could get a loan in for 6 months, granted, but when you have Dickie, Vyner, Naismith and McCrorie and Roberts, you can see why with a very tight budget why another one or two weren’t signed.

Just a slightly higher budget to bring in two players would be made a huge difference imho.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I really don’t see how saying “yeah well 10 months ago it wasn’t great”, well….it’s no longer 10 months ago, is it? A very weak “told you so” type.  

Been said thousands of times, but you’ll never get every signing spot on. And all those you’ve listed are extremely, extremely cheap ones. 

Agreed. That was 10 months ago. Were in a different place now. Fanbase are looking up, instead of looking down

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

You have missed the point that all these new accounts suddenly appeared all promoting the same things over and over again

This ISN'T supporters suddenly joining and giving their opinions - but I am sure that you already realised that?

But that is exactly what it is in the comment that I responded to. But the forum rather it be a conspiracy 😂 the sacking of a manager probably a rife time to join a forum isn’t it? 

Edited by JoeAman08

39 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

In the league of budgets where would  BCFC be positioned?

Bottom half now.

Based on 21/22 accounts and teams now in the Champ this season, here is the wages at that point.

IMG_8924.thumb.jpeg.9bb3c9c51693aa1510bc8a0d9c3c2df0.jpeg

My gut feel is that:

Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Watford and Norwich all have higher budgets than us….they are the PP clubs.

then add:

West Brom, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Birmingham - that’s another 5, making 10.

then if you take SL’s view that our wage budget is now in the £18-20m bracket, you can add the likes of:

Swansea, QPR, Coventry (off of this summer’s spending), Preston and Blackburn…maybe even Millwall.

+++++

I’d say we are 15th / 16th / 17th….possibly bottom 8, but only just.

Thoughts?

37 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Sorry, can’t quote, so screenie.

IMG_8923.thumb.jpeg.218166919f75abbda5bb5735cc7e927a.jpeg

For info - Chris Martin exercised HIS RIGHT based on the contract he signed under Holden that if he played x games (circa 30-35) he got an extra year,

4 minutes ago, Gol said:

Agree with all but bar the injuries, way too simplistic imo. You at the very least need to look where they have occured for the Cardiff match the following players were out;

Benarous - training

Naismith -training

Williams -training

James -training

Wiles Richards - training

Atkinson - match

Tanner - match

King - match

Roberts -match

Nhaki -match

Vyner - match

Of the 11 injuries 6 were from injured in a match. I think its unfair to put that on Nige and his team.

Naismith was match too versus Leeds, calf tightened with 5-10 mins to go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Bottom half now.

Based on 21/22 accounts and teams now in the Champ this season, here is the wages at that point.

My gut feel is that:

Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Watford and Norwich all have higher budgets than us….they are the PP clubs.

then add:

West Brom, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Birmingham - that’s another 5, making 10.

then if you take SL’s view that our wage budget is now in the £18-20m bracket, you can add the likes of:

Swansea, QPR, Coventry (off of this summer’s spending), Preston and Blackburn…maybe even Millwall.

+++++

Thoughts?

Sorry, can’t quote, so screenie.

IMG_8923.thumb.jpeg.218166919f75abbda5bb5735cc7e927a.jpeg

For info - Chris Martin exercised HIS RIGHT based on the contract he signed under Holden that if he played x games (circa 30-35) he got an extra year,

Naismith was match too versus Leeds, calf tightened with 5-10 mins to go.

James was also match, So that’s 8 out of 11. And tbh, wouldn’t even count Harv in that as he has never played for the first team really. So 8 out of 10 done in games…Ayman a freak ACL injury to start with as well. Incredibly harsh to try and basically say you don’t think players should get any injuries, ever. 

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If JL accepts that communication hasn't been good enough like he says, then do something about it!!!

Get himself on a podium in the South Stand with a mic for 2moros game. Don't just tell us it's not good enough, we know that. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. 

I remeber a time steve used to do this in the final games of the season ! How times have changed Jon doing this would be a mumbling mess!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bottom half now.

My gut feel is that:

then add:

+++++

Thoughts?

We’ve certainly cut the wage bill but I think we also have to consider that others will have done too. Most teams (aside from the Parachutists) have been cutting costs. 
So whilst I don’t think we are 10th, I also don’t think we’re as low as 16th, as some of this other teams who were less than us will have also cut too. 

• Like 1

Just now, BCFC31 said:

I remeber a time steve used to do this in the final games of the season ! How times have changed Jon doing this would be a mumbling mess!

Lansdown did an interview with Twentyman before the Sunderland opening home game in August 2022, and before the Burnley game at the end of April, final home game.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

We’ve certainly cut the wage bill but I think we also have to consider that others will have done too. Most teams (aside from the Parachutists) have been cutting costs. 
So whilst I don’t think we are 10th, I also don’t think we’re as low as 16th, as some of this other teams who were less than us will have also cut too. 

My candidates for cuts would be Cardiff, QPR, Swansea...and potentially Preston.

Otoh Hull are probably higher than us now, they've been pushing the boat out having inherited a good FFP position and sold Lewis-Potter.

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

James was also match, So that’s 8 out of 11. And tbh, wouldn’t even count Harv in that as he has never played for the first team really. So 8 out of 10 done in games…Ayman a freak ACL injury to start with as well. Incredibly harsh to try and basically say you don’t think players should get any injuries, ever. 

So we’re down to just Williams then. 
Who is perennially injured anyway. 
So we’re basically saying the head of medical and performance failed at his job because Joe Williams got injured in training. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

As far as I can remember, re Danny Simpson, his partner who he was accused/convicted of assaulting was very supportive of him at the time he played for us. They had a child together and she didn't want his name dragged through the mud, and also recognised it was part of his rehabilitation. 

Same as Barton's Mrs? Just saying

• Like 1

Just now, Harry said:

So we’re done to just Williams then. 
So we’re basically saying the head of medical and performance failed at his job because Joe Williams got injured in training. 

It won’t fit the narrative, but yep. Injured foot from a heavy challenge in training, tbat Nige openly admitted was one that was avoidable. Shit happens. 

I really think they saw blaming and using the players rest / injuries narrative as their silver bullet. But they’ve massively backed themselves into a corner here.  JL doubling down on it in this interview is him saying it’s a huge reason why they’ve done it. Takes fans about 2 minutes to go through the injuries and work out that it doesn’t add up at all, they’re acting like we’re stupid.  

If that is their reason - why sack the manager, and one of the assistants? Why not just Rennie?

Why was Andy Rolls & Keith Downing not sacked along with Holden when he got the bullet? 

It’s all very 2+2=5 however you try and work it out to have some sort of logic behind it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

So we’re down to just Williams then. 

We kind of wrecked Williams as his availability record before joining us was quite strong, albeit that came in 2020 under Holden and the medical team, Rolls or whoever.