IGNORED

Joe Sims interview with JL

Dastardly and Muttley

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Classic example of people looking at something with too narrow a lens.

1. The idea that the longer rest period is negligent is imbecilic. It's clearly a decision taken with the WHOLE season in mind.

2. It's not just physical but also mental/ emotional rest too.

3. There was no discernible drop in fitness. We were rusty and there have been More in game injuries certainly. We saw out the Coventry game well and came on strong 2nd half v Ipswich. 

4. Decision is All about delayed gratification. You'dve thought SL would understand that.

5. It's not ironic to criticise someone's unqualified criticism of someone highly qualified in their field.

What is ironic is for someone unqualified to offer their unqualified criticism of someone else's unqualified criticism of another person's unqualified criticism of someone highly qualified in their field.

I would've thought that was clear.

Wow, someone’s put their patronising knickers on today. 😂

See, this is a classic example of someone not being able to have a civilised debate, but let’s just go with it. 

1. Neglect wasn't mentioned by me, and certainly not by JL. Where did that notion arise from? It appears to be your own fabrication.

2. Do you have information indicating that they don't prefer being in training? Could it be that they experience more stress when not around their teammates?

3. What basis do you have to make such claims? Do you possess statistics, heart rate data, or body fat percentages post-break?

4. Pure fantasy and unfounded speculation.

5. Well, isn’t this a delightful exercise in meta-criticism? We’ve embarked on a journey through the intricacies of unqualified criticism, where layers of opinion pile up like a never-ending tower of cards in a windstorm.

Here we are, examining the art of critiquing criticism itself, a true hall of mirrors where qualifications and qualifications-of-qualifications intertwine in a dance of endless paradoxes. It’s like a Russian nesting doll of irony, where each layer exposes another layer, and it feels like we’re on a quest for the holy grail of irony, hidden beneath countless veils of unqualified opinions.

In this never-ending cycle of criticism, I can’t help but appreciate the dedication and commitment to the cause. After all, offering unqualified criticism of someone else’s unqualified criticism of yet another person’s unqualified criticism of a highly qualified expert is truly a unique feat. It’s like criticising the critic who criticises the critic who criticised the critic, and so on. The irony is so profound that it loops back into itself, creating a timeless paradox.

So, in the spirit of this meta-unqualified-critique-fest, I applaud your contribution to the ever-expanding universe of criticism. You’ve given us a glimpse into the infinite possibilities of irony, and for that, I say, ‘Bravo!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski what was the original question, I’ll try and answer.

We have heard many times from Nige post-break / during break that the players get “some” time off and they usually come back together on the Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on how you count your days that’s circa day 8 / day 9), with the returning internationals returning in dribs and drabs, usually latest Thursday.

Depending on how many are away, and don’t forget it’s not just first teamers, the likes of Harry Leeson has been away with Wales, it probably leads to a view that you can’t do a lot in that period other than physical.  And some of that can be done away from the HPC.  Some players still come in to do their “top-up”, some will do it at home, maybe because of family time (that’s just a guess).

It’s not the only club I’ve heard of say they don’t get the players back for that kind of period.  But I wouldn’t know what is best practice.

What is telling is Fleming’s interview confirming they’ve done it this way for many breaks.

We looked out of sorts, no arguments there, but we still ran and ran.  We aren’t unfit.  We outrun Ipswich, just didn’t have the quality off the bench to impact the scoreline.  You could probably say we weren’t sharp.

Hi mate...as to what 'Sub contracted' solicitors would come under in the Clubs yearly accounts...

44 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fair enough and I agree the timing wasn’t right. Just now that it is done I am looking forward to whats next. I thought he was building an identity middle of last season with Naismith in midfield and the 433/4312. He never went back to it though. Partly because injury but seemed reluctant too. 

I have said I’d have let him see out the season(or much of it). Just seems that wasn’t possible and the relationship between him and higher up was disintegrating so it was inevitable. I said in another thread, this is perhaps/probably what the Lansdowns hired him for. Get us through a tough period where we need to reset, with never the intention of keeping him longer than the 3 years. In that case, he did a very good job. Very risky going forward I agree. NP for me was a sure thing. Will be safe but probably not threaten the playoffs. Now, we could bring someone in who can get this club to a top 6 finish. However, it could go real wrong and end up in a relegation if those bottom clubs get it together some

Great post, my thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Yeah just confirmed what we already knew then.

The boy thinks he knows better than the vastly experienced PHD qualified Dave rennie, and Brian ******* Tinnion seems to now have full control of all football operations.

God help us.

I agree with you mate I think Tinnion is behind his sacking and is now playing the ghost manager role. He has probably drawn up a list of managers that he wants in who he can tell how to play. Probably has contacts in spain. 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well going by what it cost to move house recently ( Dick Turpin type costing ) a lot more given football is a bottomless pit for money. 

The legals involved in contracts for sale and employment are pretty much standard forms and par for the course. 

Conveyancing is a bit different. It’s an archaic process and a lot of documentation and back and forth between the parties on generally immaterial matters, but it’s a box ticking exercise and is quite labour intensive. Conveyancing is the sweat shop end of law. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 38MC said:

The legals involved in contracts for sale and employment are pretty much standard forms and par for the course. 

Conveyancing is a bit different. It’s an archaic process and a lot of documentation and back and forth between the parties on generally immaterial matters, but it’s a box ticking exercise and is quite labour intensive. Conveyancing is the sweat shop end of law. 

It's beyond archaic, it's the most backward system I've experienced in years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We kind of wrecked Williams as his availability record before joining us was quite strong, albeit that came in 2020 under Holden and the medical team, Rolls or whoever.

Worth remembering that Williams was so frustrated with the treatment he got at the time he went public. In the end he arranged his own surgery.

Because of that and other injuries at the time Ashton claimed we had an independent review of our processes. Needless to say he assured us it showed that everything was hunky dory. No heads (or even deputy heads) rolled.

Of course this was nothing to do with cronyism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Would just be in the “other expenses” bucket.

image.thumb.png.2105a7a92cb674b84fe89acad94edc6b.png
which of course we don’t break-down!

Academy, Women's, Community maybe plus legals and general running costs I assume but we could be more transparent definitely.

Even Derby under Mel Morris posted cost of Community and Academy expenditure until they went completely off it. Aston Villa too, under Operating Expenses.

Plymouth break it down quite well, don't they.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well going by what it cost to move house recently ( Dick Turpin type costing ) a lot more given football is a bottomless pit for money. 

Low four figure sums per transfer at our level.

A transfer agreement is about half a dozen pages long and the clubs will do the actual registration mechanics in house. @38MC is correct that it's pretty straightforward once you've got the instructions from the club.

What did we do this summer? 5 in and really just Scott out on an actual "transfer"?

If our total legal fees for transfers this summer was more than £20k (plus VAT) then I'd be surprised (and I'd call Jon up and give him a better quote). It's peanuts in the grand scheme of football finance.

• Thanks 4

I find it amazing that Jon Lansdown has decided that the fitness and training regime supervised by Dave Rennie was the reason for the injury problem and hence his dismissal. Below is a list of Dave Rennie’s relevant education. Jon Lansdown’s medical expertise only goes as far as slapping on the sun cream in Bermuda 

IMG_5036.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If someone said there was a new buyer for Bristol City but they have warned you wont see success on the pitch for over twenty years, how would you feel? Personally i would hope for something better, Lansdown has had 20 years to achieve some form of success on the pitch and he has failed (IMO).  

When people say things like "well there isn't a queue of buyers lined up", no maybe not for "Bristol Sport".... But you can't tell me that a football club with the facilities available, in the 8th largest city in England, one step away from the premier league wouldn't be attractive to someone who wanted to invest in English football? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, noize said:

If someone said there was a new buyer for Bristol City but they have warned you wont see success on the pitch for over twenty years, how would you feel? Personally i would hope for something better, Lansdown has had 20 years to achieve some form of success on the pitch and he has failed (IMO).  

When people say things like "well there isn't a queue of buyers lined up", no maybe not for "Bristol Sport".... But you can't tell me that a football club with the facilities available, in the 8th largest city in England, one step away from the premier league wouldn't be attractive to someone who wanted to invest in English football? 

Took a while for Newcastle to sell didnt it?

Imagine dealing with Mike Ashley was off-putting 

43 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I find it amazing that Jon Lansdown has decided that the fitness and training regime supervised by Dave Rennie was the reason for the injury problem and hence his dismissal. Below is a list of Dave Rennie’s relevant education. Jon Lansdown’s medical expertise only goes as far as slapping on the sun cream in Bermuda 

IMG_5036.jpeg

Perhaps Jon is a fan of Michael Gove so has had enough of experts.😉

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’d happily have him buy us. 

Erm his expenditure on the side, I don't think he would be some expansive in the transfer market owner.

He would want us to run on our own resources broadly speaking, if history is anything to go by.

Maybe he would go for it early to try and get us up, I dunno. He has his merits but some roll the dice etc.

I wouldn't say he is a terrible owner, just anyone expecting him to be even somewhat free spending I don't see it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Erm his expenditure on the side, I don't think he would be some expansive in the transfer market owner.

He would want us to run on our own resources broadly speaking, if history is anything to go by.

Maybe he would go for it early to try and get us up, I dunno. He has his merits but some roll the dice etc.

2 championship titles. 3 top 10 prem finishes. 3 x 12th place and 2 x 13th place. 
I’d settle for that and be sustainably run. 

Newcastle fans just didn’t like him because he sacked Keegan and then Shearer. They’re a different breed up there and don’t forgive someone shitting on their hero’s. 

After that the fans didn’t give him any rope whatsoever and ultimately he just wanted out but at the right price. 

He continually gave the Newcastle fans what they wanted - Keegan, Shearer, Benitez. They just never forgave him for removing Keegan. 

He will own another football club soon. There’s been talk of Derby last year, talk of Reading now. He will be back and I actually think he’ll do pretty well for whichever clubs he takes over. 

• Like 2

My takeaways:

Communication -  ‘It is up to us to explain better what we are doing’ ‘Up to us to explain what we are doing and communicate better so they (the fans) understand our decisions better and can feel connected’ ‘I freely admit our communication hasn’t been as good as it should have been and that’s not just now’ 

CEO - ‘With our set up there isn’t really a need for a typical CE’ 

Reference sacking NP - ‘We aren’t doing as well as we wanted to and that’s what the decision was based upon’