IGNORED

Curtis Fleming until the end of the season?

bcfcnick

The Club can't turn the clock back but in my view (most will disagree) the pragmatic thing would be to give Curtis Fleming the job until the end of the season unless the next two games suggest otherwise.   

It's not going to happen but a lot of coaching is about communication and motivation and he has those skills in abundance.  The Club can reevaluate at the end of the season. He strikes me as infinitely smarter than Dean Holden and whoever comes in now will have to work with the current crop of players.  Also, Tinnion will be doing the recruitment in January. Fleming comes across as a passionate man but someone who can form good relations with anyone in a positive way. 

No doubt Tinnion won't want any connections with NP hanging around so it's unlikely in the extreme if he is the ultimate decision-maker.  Curtis just comes across as an impressive man in press conferences and for the things he does outside of football.  It could just give a twist in the tale from a poor decision horror story to an uplifting next chapter if he is given a chance and makes a success of it.

https://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/23671221.middlesbrough-legend-curtis-fleming-work-combatting-racism/

4 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

The Club can't turn the clock back but in my view (most will disagree) the pragmatic thing would be to give Curtis Fleming the job until the end of the season unless the next two games suggest otherwise.   

It's not going to happen but a lot of coaching is about communication and motivation and he has those skills in abundance.  The Club can reevaluate at the end of the season. He strikes me as infinitely smarter than Dean Holden and whoever comes in now will have to work with the current crop of players.  Also, Tinnion will be doing the recruitment in January. Fleming comes across as a passionate man but someone who can form good relations with anyone in a positive way. 

No doubt Tinnion won't want any connections with NP hanging around so it's unlikely in the extreme if he is the ultimate decision-maker.  Curtis just comes across as an impressive man in press conferences and for the things he does outside of football.  It could just give a twist in the tale from a poor decision horror story to an uplifting next chapter if he is given a chance and makes a success of it.

https://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/23671221.middlesbrough-legend-curtis-fleming-work-combatting-racism/

Think there’s no chance of that. 

I think it's more likely that Tinnion wouldn't entertain it than Curtis turning it down.  In the interview, he did say managing/being a head coach is something he would like to do.  He's been brave enough to be as impressively honest as he was but if he was offered the opportunity I think NP would give his blessing and probably watch with wry amusement  As I mentioned, unlikely in the extreme but it's my preference and I could see it being successful.

The timing of sacking Nige was so poor that I think a caretaker for the season is the way to go. We are not in a good position right now to appoint with injuries and massive fan dissatisfaction. I’d be happy if Fleming was given it til summer. Or bring an external hire in, but with a contract til the Summer. Warnock or someone. 

1 minute ago, bcfcnick said:

I think it's more likely that Tinnion wouldn't entertain it than Curtis turning it down.  In the interview, he did say managing/being a head coach is something he would like to do.  He's been brave enough to be as impressively honest as he was but if he was offered the opportunity I think NP would give his blessing and probably watch with wry amusement  As I mentioned, unlikely in the extreme but it's my preference and I could see it being successful.

I think having seen his line manager being done the dirty on, and admitting as such, he wouldn’t want this job. 

• Like 3

He quite rightly rejected the Club suggestion that resting a small squad in international breaks was the cause of injuries.   But I think the Club primarily wanted to remove NP due to his health issues and, who knows, Curtis defending his colleagues won't be a factor against him.  Unlikely, I know.  I wonder if Radio Bristol and James Piercy will do a precis of the censored bit.  It just makes the Club look even more amateur/North Korean.

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

The more you hear the more you realise how scared or inferior to Nige, Jon and/or Tinnion must have felt.

To do it when they did, when you haven’t got anyone lined up, there must have been some brutal exchanges leading up to that I’d love to have seen.

I don’t think they’ll do u-turn, but I think they’re really regretting it now realising no-one realistically available is appeasing the fan base. 

• Like 1

I did see the press conference and it was impressive enough to make me think I'd love to see him at the helm.  Very different of course to thinking it will happen.  It's clear SL had a poor relationship with NP and he has someone who likes to be mates with the manager and have chats after the game.  I could see Curtis charming him and JL over but I think Brian Tinnion will be the kingmaker here so it's undeniably unrealistic even if it would be best for the Club which I think it would.

31 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Hes been here long enough couldnt stop us leaking goals if you wanna end up in league 1 hes your man 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Hes been here long enough couldnt stop us leaking goals if you wanna end up in league 1 hes your man 

I'm not saying he is the guy for a long term caretaker role but the defensive structure and defence have improved immeasurably in the last 2 years despite cost cutting and numerous injuries.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Not so, our goals conceded is pretty impressive especially in the context of the injuries.  Dickie, Vyner, Pring and Naismith have all impressed in most games.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

This season is the best we've looked defensively since Webster Kalas. And they're doing it with a Vyner they rejuvenated and a free Naismith. Kalas and Webster cost 10 million.

Just now, Cityboy1954 said:

Only since Dickie has been brought in the defence has tightened up.

Debatable but perhaps.

I remember 6 at Fulham, 3 at Bournemouth, 3 at West Brom, 3 at Birmingham, 3 at Coventry in the space of 6 months.

It wasn't just the number of goals but chances we were conceding. Vyner has come on leaps and bounds last 12 months too.

• Like 2

Just now, Cityboy1954 said:

Still think Naismith is better in midfield allways  a mistake  waiting to happen back there.

If the three boys are fit you could easily see Tanner Vyner Dickie Pring with TGH Naismith and knight in front. That looks so much better doesn’t it. Maybe next week?

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Not so, our goals conceded is pretty impressive especially in the context of the injuries.  Dickie, Vyner, Pring and Naismith have all impressed in most games.

Vyner has improved Dickie signing although not blessed with pace has tightened it up as below prefer to see Naismith in midfield .

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

If the three boys are fit you could easily see Tanner Vyner Dickie Pring with TGH Naismith and knight in front. That looks so much better doesn’t it. Maybe next week?

Yes i agree with that Dave thats the midfield i would like to see maybe bring on james if needed to tighten it up for last twenty mins.